Gerald McCoy Cut... Suh signs with Tampa

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think our defense will be just fine as is. But of course, if McCoy signed for something real cheap to chase a ring that would make the DL rotation a lot better.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't get the hatred for Suh here. He was an animal for us - especially in the playoffs and playing next to him, AD had his best season ever - and that was a high bar.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get the hatred for Suh here. He was an animal for us - especially in the playoffs and playing next to him, AD had his best season ever - and that was a high bar.

For me, it was because he was very highly paid, and seemed to be coasting most of the season while getting nearly a million dollars a game. The fact he turned it on in the playoffs showed how much he coasted during the season. There were other needs the Rams could have filled for $14 million other than a slacker DL.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Am I missing something here?
You won't carry a career player with your team, but are willing to replace him with a mercenary in his final days?

Just how much $$ are they saving? Could it be a defensive switch in strategy, requiring different personnel? This must be just another, "new HC, new plan. Save $$ to pay future picks/players."

I'm really not that interested in signing another guy who's smart enough to know this team will make the playoffs w/o him, and then turn it on postseason.

Don't get me wrong. Suh served a purpose and was a factor in Donald cementing his place in today's NFL heirarchy. He was, however, smart enough to know that he HAD Donald there and could conserve energy when he could. That's really not a cardinal sin, as long as it doesn't cost the team a home field postseason.
Plenty of respected athletes have done this over time. Just look at the current GS Warriors. You could predict them losing to lousy teams down the stretch, but making sure they kept the best record intact.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
But given he was ‘cut’ would he count vs the comp pick?
Not sure, just asking.
From what I know, "cut" players do not count and at this moment no player will count towards comp picks. My post was in regards to Suh, not McCoy, in a different thread that has been merged.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Am I missing something here?
You won't carry a career player with your team, but are willing to replace him with a mercenary in his final days?

Just how much $$ are they saving? Could it be a defensive switch in strategy, requiring different personnel? This must be just another, "new HC, new plan. Save $$ to pay future picks/players."

I'm really not that interested in signing another guy who's smart enough to know this team will make the playoffs w/o him, and then turn it on postseason.

Don't get me wrong. Suh served a purpose and was a factor in Donald cementing his place in today's NFL heirarchy. He was, however, smart enough to know that he HAD Donald there and could conserve energy when he could. That's really not a cardinal sin, as long as it doesn't cost the team a home field postseason.
Plenty of respected athletes have done this over time. Just look at the current GS Warriors. You could predict them losing to lousy teams down the stretch, but making sure they kept the best record intact.

Here's what I heard from Tampon sports radio this morning.

If the contract is as they say... Tampon will save 3 million with Suh compared to McCoy. McCoy was gonna get paid 13 million... and supposedly Suh is gonna get 10 milly.

Apparently McCoy is like a hero off the field in Tampon. Like almost the face of the franchise even. But when Bruce Fat Arians came to town... something happened between them or was said between them that made Arians decide that he wasn't gonna have McCoy on the team anymore. It's like some kind of feud.

And Tampon does have cap problems.

Who knows if these Tampon radio guys really have any inside info or not... but they were coming across like they have good information and contacts from inside the team walls.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
For me, it was because he was very highly paid, and seemed to be coasting most of the season while getting nearly a million dollars a game. The fact he turned it on in the playoffs showed how much he coasted during the season. There were other needs the Rams could have filled for $14 million other than a slacker DL.

I have zero problem with a guy stepping up his game in the playoffs. It doesn’t mean he coasted, IMO. I didn’t see him taking plays off, did you? It may mean teams schemed more in the playoffs to stop AD opening him up. It may also mean, he got hot at the right time. We do want players to step it up in the big games, right?

And pay is pay. I will never blame a player for getting what he can.

Sure, I’d love it if Goff signed a 10 year contract at the league minimum so the Rams could go dynasty but he won’t. None of them will. They all want the money like most everyone else in the world.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But given he was ‘cut’ would he count vs the comp pick?
Not sure, just asking.
He wasn't cut, he signed a one year deal with us. He was cut last year by Miami and when we signed him they didn't get a comp pick and it didn't negatively affect ours.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I was hoping to see Suh come back
Yeah it was sad to see him go. He did what he had to, his age is showing. Whether or not he sandbagged the entire season til playoffs was probably him preserving his energy. Good to see he got picked up by someone not in the NFC West...

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
From what I know, "cut" players do not count and at this moment no player will count towards comp picks. My post was in regards to Suh, not McCoy, in a different thread that has been merged.
I see

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
He wasn't cut, he signed a one year deal with us. He was cut last year by Miami and when we signed him they didn't get a comp pick and it didn't negatively affect ours.

Right, but I was referring to McCoy.
McCoy was cut.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the $10 mil number is true (which I suggested in original post), they DRASTICALLY overpaid!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I have zero problem with a guy stepping up his game in the playoffs. It doesn’t mean he coasted, IMO. I didn’t see him taking plays off, did you? It may mean teams schemed more in the playoffs to stop AD opening him up. It may also mean, he got hot at the right time. We do want players to step it up in the big games, right?

And pay is pay. I will never blame a player for getting what he can.

Sure, I’d love it if Goff signed a 10 year contract at the league minimum so the Rams could go dynasty but he won’t. None of them will. They all want the money like most everyone else in the world.

I don't think the Players Assoc would allow it or they would at least put pressure on a player if he took far less than his market value, especially a high profile QB that helps set the market for others.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the Players Assoc would allow it or they would at least put pressure on a player if he took far less than his market value, especially a high profile QB that helps set the market for others.

They let Brady do it for years, even though he was most probably paid in different ways that wouldn't show up on the books.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

It’s not gonna happen, of course - and yes, the NFLPA would have a cow. But Brady plays for way less than mkt value.