Gerald Everett to the SeaChickens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I wonder how that QB will react if Everett drops a ball that hits him in the hands in a critical situation?
For as bad as Goff may be, and I'm glad the Rams have moved on, Everett made key mistakes last season that *could* have made a difference in how the season played out. That drop against Miami is one that looms, for sure.
He's a great talent, but is still inconsistent.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I wonder how that QB will react if Everett drops a ball that hits him in the hands in a critical situation?
For as bad as Goff may be, and I'm glad the Rams have moved on, Everett made key mistakes last season that *could* have made a difference in how the season played out. That drop against Miami is one that looms, for sure.
He's a great talent, but is still inconsistent.
Good luck to Everett going forward but I'm glad we don't have to rely on him to make key plays.

oldnotdead

Legend
I will take Harris over Everett any day. Harris has better hands, faster, and is more aggressive with contested catches. Harris is a massive upgrade over Gerald.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Everett will be like a Jared Cook. He will probably ball out all of a sudden on a different team, and we as fans can punch the air.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I will take Harris over Everett any day. Harris has better hands, faster, and is more aggressive with contested catches. Harris is a massive upgrade over Gerald.
Not as a complete TE though

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Everett will be like a Jared Cook. He will probably ball out all of a sudden on a different team, and we as fans can punch the air.
Saw Jared Cook at Chargers camp.I really like him & following his career.I got to talk crap & he came through.
—Mcvay is runs such a better camp.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think he balls out this year as the starter with a top flight QB.
iu

oldnotdead

Legend
Not as a complete TE though
Neither was Everett which is why Higbee was on the field more. Harris has upsides at TE that Everett never had. He's also been played out of the slot which is bascially the same route tree only expanded. Look how long Everett took to develop and even then wasn't on the field as much as you would have expected. I think by the end of next year Harris will be a good TE.

TexasRam

Legend
Harris is so raw. He really needs to get up to speed very quickly. If he starts dropping the ball, fumbling the ball or making mental errors like route running or formation-based then he's going to find the doghouse which will further retard his growth.

His upside in the passing game is huge and we are all excited. But it's yet to be seen if he can block and do all the little things.

We all want him to be the next Darren Waller but honestly, he make take a few years. It is also very likely he never become a Waller or even a Higbee.

Just keeping it real.

As far as Everett, he was a consistent drive killer because he couldn't master the little things or consistently block. Addition by subtraction.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Neither was Everett which is why Higbee was on the field more. Harris has upsides at TE that Everett never had. He's also been played out of the slot which is bascially the same route tree only expanded. Look how long Everett took to develop and even then wasn't on the field as much as you would have expected. I think by the end of next year Harris will be a good TE.
Well in the End Gerald Everett was a little disappointing.There was a Seattle game. Well let’s say he use to miss some of the easy ones that would have kept drives alive.

Yeah - I loved the 2017 draft & getting Reynolds & Kupp. Just thought The Rams could have kept a certain TE from going to the 9ers.
Best 50 yard dash at the combines I’d ever seen. — I liked the trade back,but thought who is this JJ43 guy ? A Wade pick from BC that Harris played with ?

I like the Harris pick & this 2021 draft class across the board.Les Snead to me is a legend.I don’t know how The Rams find some of these players.

Just a good kid #87. He will make a name for himself. He has that drive & Will to win every ball in the Aur thrown his way. Like his timing & balance going up for balls. Uses his body & positioning very well & knows how to shed the defender.

What he will do on special teams just shows his all around skill set your talking about. The kid wants to learn & The Grandson of Bum (Wes) is the perfect coach.

I really think though this offense is going to be so dialed in Higbee will
have a monster year.

I’ll keep saying though,just like the coaching staff. Your wrong about Johnny (not Hekker) Mundt & Big Rob Havenstien.

Well your right about Rob Havienstien having trouble with edge rushers,but the work & the situation has changed.I believe you’ll see the difference and come to that same conclusion?

Plus Mundt might not be a Ram next season.Hopefully he has a Great contract year.That is the cool thing about The Rams & there development of players.

This team really are pushing each other. This Rookie Class(2021) is probably my favorite just because of how smart & mature these guys are at such an early age.

I think E. Brown gets cut & hopefully a practice squad guy.
Do you know the practice squad number this season? Is it still the Covid type rosters ? I like the bigger practice squad. You know the PUP list is for the birds. We all know teams nest players from getting cut for a season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yep. I think McVay could have learned a lesson from that. You want production from second round picks. Grabbing such a raw player that early is risky. Playing time didn’t equal draft slot.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
The Everett pick in the second round always reminded me of the Brian Quick pick . Impressive physical player from a small school that you see some flashes of major talent that you hope can put it all together but for whatever reason it never happens. I do think Everett is the more talented player over Quick but still a major disappointment IMO.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I guess I like Everett more than many posters here, and thought his playing-time and production were impacted by the Rams' talent and depth at the skill positions; and the fact they used a ton of 3-WR-sets.

When McVay was the OC at Washington, they played a lot of two-TE-sets with Reed and Davis. I always guessed that using two-TEs was an initial strategy of the new HC in 2017. Thus, the selection of a pass-catching-TE made sense. There was speculation at the time that the Rams were hoping Evan Engram would be available with their second round pick but the NY Giants selected Engram in the first round.

The Rams had nothing at WR heading into that off-season.

Then Woods was signed in Free Agency. He was viewed by many as a good #2 WR, and it was thought by many at the time, that the Rams over-paid for him (and for Whitworth). Many were wrong.

Then Kupp was drafted, with the hope he might be a good possession receiver. Limited but a solid contributor. Like Woods, he quickly showed to be much more than that. Maybe the Rams' talent evaluators were not surprised.

Then during pre-season, the Rams made the deal for Watkins ... a former top-5-pick and viewed as a major talent at that time.

The Rams' WR-corps went from Sucking to Really-Good and three-deep that off-season.

At that point, eleven-personnel (3 WRs) became the most effective offensive-set, and the primary formation for a top offense. Same in 2018, just with Cooks replacing Watkins.

Higbee was the #1 TE in part because he was the better in-line-blocker. If I remember, Everett had some minor injury that limited him early in his rookie season, so that may have also impacted the decision to go with Higbee who developed into a quality player.

Instead of a primary two-TE set, where the second-TE is essentially a starter, the Rams were hugely successful in 2017 and 2018 with a three-WR-set, where the third-WR is essentially a starter; and the #2 TE is a back-up.

Everett still played a lot, and I thought he played well. Remember a few bad drops but I also remember some huge plays. The final TD against K.C. in the Monday Night Game, and the huge catch-and-run against the Saints in the NFC Championship Game to name a couple.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Everett pick in the second round always reminded me of the Brian Quick pick . Impressive physical player from a small school that you see some flashes of major talent that you hope can put it all together but for whatever reason it never happens. I do think Everett is the more talented player over Quick but still a major disappointment IMO.
We’ll see how he does with his TE/OC coach from The Rams.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
We’ll see how he does with his TE/OC coach from The Rams.
He doesn't have much talent behind him so he'll definitely get a chance to show his talents. With Metcalf and Lockett on the field drawing defenses attention he could be in store for a huge year.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I guess I like Everett more than many posters here, and thought his playing-time and production were impacted by the Rams' talent and depth at the skill positions; and the fact they used a ton of 3-WR-sets.

When McVay was the OC at Washington, they played a lot of two-TE-sets with Reed and Davis. I always guessed that using two-TEs was an initial strategy of the new HC in 2017. Thus, the selection of a pass-catching-TE made sense. There was speculation at the time that the Rams were hoping Evan Engram would be available with their second round pick but the NY Giants selected Engram in the first round.

The Rams had nothing at WR heading into that off-season.

Then Woods was signed in Free Agency. He was viewed by many as a good #2 WR, and it was thought by many at the time, that the Rams over-paid for him (and for Whitworth). Many were wrong.

Then Kupp was drafted, with the hope he might be a good possession receiver. Limited but a solid contributor. Like Woods, he quickly showed to be much more than that. Maybe the Rams' talent evaluators were not surprised.

Then during pre-season, the Rams made the deal for Watkins ... a former top-5-pick and viewed as a major talent at that time.

The Rams' WR-corps went from Sucking to Really-Good and three-deep that off-season.

At that point, eleven-personnel (3 WRs) became the most effective offensive-set, and the primary formation for a top offense. Same in 2018, just with Cooks replacing Watkins.

Higbee was the #1 TE in part because he was the better in-line-blocker. If I remember, Everett had some minor injury that limited him early in his rookie season, so that may have also impacted the decision to go with Higbee who developed into a quality player.

Instead of a primary two-TE set, where the second-TE is essentially a starter, the Rams were hugely successful in 2017 and 2018 with a three-WR-set, where the third-WR is essentially a starter; and the #2 TE is a back-up.

Everett still played a lot, and I thought he played well. Remember a few bad drops but I also remember some huge plays. The final TD against K.C. in the Monday Night Game, and the huge catch-and-run against the Saints in the NFC Championship Game to name a couple.
A lot of great points but after 3 years with a team you would expect a guy drafted in the middle of the second round to win the starting position or at least be pushing the guy in front of him for it and I don't ever feel like he did. Even with Higbee banged up last year he still couldn't keep Tyler off the field,I admit I'm a little bias towards Higbee since he played at Western Kentucky and for former University of Louisville QB Jeff Brohm.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That draft had so many WRs that didn't stay in the NFL long and a few really good ones. Quick was not Jerry Rice (we had hoped he was) and we kept thinking he would get better. T.Y. Hilton, Alshon Jeffrey , Sanu, and Marvin Jones were some of the good ones taken after Quick in that draft.