Geno Smith sucker punched by teammate out 6-10 weeks with broken jaw/Won't press charges

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
what kind of idiot puts their finger in this guy's face?

nLp1IAF.png
Gotta love the fan that said this....I wonder how will Rex use this guy....His story makes you wonder...He has a foundation/camp...Geno didn't come (excused I see) and IK wanted to be reimbursed for the plane ticket...probably a lil more there than that...If you needed a LEO backer, I'd grab him too...You can not...and I want to emphasize, CAN NOT put your finger in another persons FACE....You better be ready for the consequences if you do...Bet he plays vs the Jets...Plus they've been saying how the Bills only weakness on defense is LB...Fixed

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I heard on the radio today that Jets fans are expecting Geno to be out for 18 to 30 INTs.:LOL:

Sorry, too soon?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Rex says: He was a good teammate...(As long as you didn't owe him money and then flipped him off, I suppose)...Leave it to Ryan to remain the ring master regardless of where he works !!!!

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Can you say with 100% certainty that if you came up to somebody who owes you money, who you KNOW full well can pay you back several times over and they not only flipped you off, but started berating you and mocking you and sticking his finger in your face that you wouldn't throw a punch?

Would you want to piss off Jimmy if he owes you money?

images

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...smith-deserved-it/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs
Jets source says broken-jawed Geno Smith “deserved it”
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 13, 2015, 6:08 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptm2ngrlm2m3odg0nthknjm5ndlmzwrmmwewytu1yzkz.jpeg
AP
IK Enemkpali got fired (and quickly re-hired in Buffalo) for punching Jets quarterbackGeno Smith in the face.

But while the Jets came out quickly to describe it as a sucker punch, the idea that Smith played a role in his own getting punched is gaining traction.

Via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, unnamed sources within the team are saying Smith “deserved it.”

Smith “was up in [Enemkpali’s] face and pointed/touched his face,” an eyewitness said.

That followed Ryan Clark’s defense of Enemkpali on ESPN Radio earlier Wednesday morning, as he explained the situation surrounding Smith stiffing the linebacker out of $600 worth of travel expenses.

“These guys were in each other’s face,” Clark said, via the New York Post. “Geno put his finger in his face and told the guy, ‘Well, you’re not going to do anything about it.’ . . .

“It became about the fact that Geno wasn’t necessarily apologetic and being in a way remorseful about the money when saying he was going to pay IK back and he didn’t.He was rather smug about it.”

Whether he was or wasn’t, Enemkpali was wrong to punch him in the face, breaking his jaw and taking him out of action for a portion of the regular season. That’s something the legal system will work through now, along with the league as it applies its personal conduct policy.

But with Smith’s career in the balance this year anyway, it’s not a good look for his future that teammates would immediately blame the victim.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
How can a person be the worst in the league and still be a arrogant ass?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
LOL at the fan reaction. At least they are able to maintain a sense of humor....

I heard that Geno actually threw the first punch, but that it was a few yards short!!
---------
Oh no! NOW who's going to throw all the interceptions???

Week 10 is shaping up to be entertaining...

The Jets and Bills first meet in Week 10 at MetLife Stadium. Smith, who needs 6 to 10 weeks to recover from the broken jaw, might be back in the Jets lineup by then.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/13/...ts-geno-smith-punch-buffalo-bills-coaches-nfl

Counterpunch: Why Buffalo Added Enemkpali

The saga of IK Enemkpali, the linebacker cut loose by the Jets after cold-cocking QB Geno Smith, got even more interesting when ex-Jets coach and new Jets nemesis Rex Ryan claimed him off waivers for the Bills. But rivalry aside, Buffalo coaches saw the chance to add a good, young player who was never a problem for them last season

by Jenny Vrentas

ik-enemkpali-portrait.jpg

Al Pereira/Getty Images

PITTSFORD, N.Y. — IK Enemkpali hadn’t yet arrived with his new team, but he was already being introduced.

That’s what Rex Ryan was doing a few minutes past 8 p.m. on Wednesday. The Buffalo Bills’ night practice at St. John Fisher College had just finished, and Ryan stood in front of a circle of his players at midfield and briefed them on the day’s most controversial NFL transaction.

We claimed IK Enemkpali, Ryan told his team. I wouldn’t bring him here if I didn’t think he could really come in and fit in with us. I need your help to welcome him to the team like he’s any other player.

Right now, of course, Enemkpali isn’t just any other player—he’s the second-year linebacker who cold-cocked Geno Smith in the Jets locker room Tuesday, breaking the prospective starting quarterback’s jaw. Smith will be out six to 10 weeks with the injury.

The Jets promptly gave Enemkpali his walking papers. And Ryan promptly picked him up. He knows exactly what the move looks like—a hellbent attempt to stick it to his old team seven months after he himself was cast off.

“And you know what, people are going to blame me for it, too. I get blamed for everything that goes on there,” Ryan said on the practice field Wednesday night. “Whatever. That part of my life is over. That’s all behind me. I’m just trying to focus on this football team. We’re going to do what is in the best interests of this team.”

More than anything else, this move is the most brazen proof yet that Rex is doing Rex in Buffalo. Ryan, acting with what he called “supreme confidence” in himself, has the influence he hasn’t had since his early years with the Jets. As soon as he heard the news of the bizarre altercation Tuesday afternoon, Ryan started telling his staff that Enemkpali would look good in a Bills uniform.

During a staff meeting Tuesday night, after Enemkpali appeared on the waiver wire the Bills received around 5 p.m., GM Doug Whaley asked Ryan what he thought of the player he coached during his final season in New York.

“All he does is shut his mouth and work,” Ryan told Whaley. “I’ll stand on the table for the guy.”

“Coach, if you say that, if you believe in him like that,” Whaley replied, “I got your back.”

Twenty-four hours later, Enemkpali was a Buffalo Bill.

ik-enemkpali-sack.jpg

In limited action as a rookie, IK Enemkpali showed the ability to create pressure. (Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

Ryan is on his second chance as a head coach, and he has assembled a squad of players and coaches who are also on second chances, for a variety of reasons. Richie Incognito. Percy Harvin. Aaron Kromer. Add Enemkpali to the list.

Enemkpali’s new day-to-day boss, defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman, knows something about second chances, too. Shortly after the 24-year-old Enemkpali was awarded to the Bills off waivers, Thurman recounted an incident when he was the same age as his newest linebacker. He made a dumb split-second decision that put his career in jeopardy.

“Why do young people do some of the things they do?” Thurman asked. “I got into trouble, too. Hell, I walked into a bank one time, and I handed the teller a note saying, ‘What would you do if I held up the bank?’ She thought I was holding up the bank, and I went to jail for about eight hours.”

This was in the spring of 1980, when Thurman had just finished his second season as a defensive back with the Dallas Cowboys. He was back home in Southern California, and went to a local bank branch with a friend, who was paying Thurman back money he had borrowed. Newspaper clips from the time offer varying accounts of what exactly the note Thurman wrote to the teller said—one indicated that it ended with, “Signed, Robber”—but Thurman was taken into custody and interrogated for hours by local police and the FBI.

He was able to convince the authorities that it was nothing more than a prank, so they let him go. But next, Thurman had to answer to the formidable Cowboys regime of Tom Landry, Tex Schramm and Gil Brandt.

“They asked me, What were you doing? I couldn’t even explain it,” Thurman said. “It was so dumb and random on my part, but it happened. People do dumb [stuff] when they’re young. If they hadn’t given me a second chance, I wouldn’t be here right now.”

In Enemkpali’s case, the altercation with Smith wasn’t the first time he’d been in trouble. When he was attending Louisiana Tech, he was charged with striking an off-duty police officer at a local bar. That was a red flag on some teams’ draft boards in 2014, but Ryan and the Jets selected Enemkpali in the sixth round. There were times when the coaches had to rein in Enemkpali’s intensity on the field, but they didn’t see any anger management issues last year. In fact, Ryan and company liked Enemkpali enough that he had been on the Bills’ watch list in case he became available after roster cutdowns.

“We didn’t have those problems,” Thurman said. “And we were considered to be the bad guys, so to speak.”

After Ryan left New York, a criticism levied by some of his former players was that there was a supposed lack of accountability in the locker room during his time as head coach. It’s just like Ryan to take the player the Jets deemed too much of a loose cannon and try to prove that he’ll fit in Ryan’s locker room.

“We like him,” Thurman said. “We’ll get him here, and we’ll corral him, and we’ll surround him with our veterans and make sure we address the things we need to address. There can be no more missteps. Obviously there is a risk that we are taking, but for the talent he has, at this point we’re willing to gamble.”

ik-enemkpali-jets-practice.jpg

Rex Ryan and his staff had no complaints about Enemkpali last season. (AP Photo)

On his way out to the locker room Wednesday night, Bills safety Aaron Williams passed Thurman and gave him a fist bump. “You know he’s from my hometown, right?” said Williams, who is from Round Rock, Texas, just a few miles from Enemkpali’s hometown of Pflugerville.

Williams’ thoughts upon hearing the Bills had claimed Enemkpali: “Must be a good player," he said, with a smile.

The Bills do think Enemkpali is a good player. He was active for six games last season, and in a limited number of snaps he recorded two sacks that were nullified by flags in the secondary. He’ll have the chance to make the team as a designated pass rusher. One of the reasons Ryan said he put in the waiver claim, instead of waiting to sign him after learning what discipline he may face from the league under the personal conduct policy, was to give him the best chance to make the roster.

But that didn’t give the Bills much time to vet what exactly happened between Enemkpali and Smith. Ryan admitted he did not speak to Enemkpali before they put in the waiver claim, but a member of the staff contacted a current Jets player who was in the locker room to get an account of what happened.

The root of the fight was $600 that Smith owed Enemkpali after backing out of Enemkpali’s charity football camp last month to attend the funeral of a friend. According to the version some members of the Bills heard, Smith was mouthing off about the debt in the locker room, and Enemkpali told Smith to come over and say it to his face. Smith did, and put his finger in Enemkpali’s face, at which point Enemkpali slugged him. (After being released, Enemkpali issued a statement of apology but has not spoken to the press; Smith has not commented on the matter.)

At the Tuesday night staff meeting, Ryan told the room what he knew. Before putting the waiver claim in on Wednesday, Whaley called Bills owner Terry Pegula. He explained the story to Pegula, and how Ryan said Enemkpali wasn’t any trouble when he had him in New York last year.

“If Rex believes in him,” Pegula told Whaley, “I support him.”

That’s Pegula’s management style, according to Whaley. When they have a strong opinion about somebody, he never says no. And Ryan, for more than one reason, made a strong case for Enemkpali.

Ryan wasn’t worried about how his locker room would respond. “They’re men here,” he said. “They’ll judge him for who he is when he gets here.”

And you better believe Rex loves running Rex’s show again.

“Absolutely,” Ryan said with a wink. Then he walked off the practice field.

Peter King and Emily Kaplan contributed reporting to this story.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ts-for-surgery-on-jaw-will-be-out-6-10-weeks/

Geno Smith opts for surgery on jaw, will be out 6-10 weeks
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 13, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjim2y4odczmjdknde3nta5ywzhnzk2mgjiowvjzmrj-e1439326392119.jpeg
AP

IK Enemkpali did more than knock Geno Smith out of the lineup, sending him straight to the operating room.

According to Josina Anderson of ESPN, Smith has chosen to have surgery to repair his broken jaw after getting a second opinion.

While I’m neither a lawyer nor a jaw surgeon, the fact Smith needs a surgical repair only strengthens the notion that the legal authorities need to step in here, whether the NFL does or not, or whether someone thought he deserved it or not.

Smith will be out six to 10 weeks following surgery, and its unclear if he’ll have a chance to regain the Jets starting quarterback job at that point or not.

Meanwhile, Enemkpali has joined the Bills after being claimed on waivers.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Requiem for a Quarterback

New York City... From NFL draft to Broadway, Geno Smith blowing every scene in a slow-motion train wreck tragedy.:eek:

Beginning to think Geno Smith's legacy won't be pretty!

In four short days New York hate for Smith goes National.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
For those sympathizing with IK Enemkpali, you might want to read this.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tfished-punched-a-man-he-thought-was-a-woman/

IK Enemkpali, catfished, punched a man he thought was a woman
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 27, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwq2zwnmzgnkogrkowexywjimzkymjjiymrimdi4mty51.jpeg
Getty Images

As it turns out, breaking former Jets teammate Geno Smith’s jaw over $600 might be the most conventional altercation Bills linebacker IK Enemkpali has ever been in.

According to Paula Lavigne of ESPN, Enemkpali had to miss his college season opener because he injured his hand punching a man he thought was a woman with whom he had arranged to have sex via the internet.

(Yep, need another cup of coffee. That’s better).

Enemkpali needed surgery to repair the damage to his hand, but wasn’t going to play in Louisiana Tech’s game against Southern Mississippi anyway because he was suspended for punching an off-duty cop at a bar in Ruston, Louisiana earlier that year.

But let’s get back to Lola (not his name, there just happened to be a Kinks song on the radio when the alarm went off this morning).

Enemkpali wasn’t charged in the incident, and he was actually the one who filed a police report after the man demanded money from him.

The report said the whole thing started when he began exchanging messages with a Facebook friend named “Missy Lee,” who offered him oral sex if he came to her house. When he entered, he found her covered head to toe in a blanket and when she wouldn’t remove the blanket, he left.

But after “Missy Lee” called him back, he returned to the house, but she still wouldn’t come out from under the blanket or turn on the light. Fortunately (I guess), a cell phone rang, and the light of the screen revealed the person he was talking to had facial hair and another person had entered the room.

Thinking he was about to be robbed, he punched the person under the blanket, at which point the screams of pain revealed “Missy Lee” to be male.

At that point, the police report said Enemkpali left via the window, which is probably the best decision he’s ever made.

He filed the report after “Missy Lee” sent him texts threatening to file charges if he didn’t pay $1,000.

“Missy Lee,” actually a man named Ketryn Anderson, said he only wanted Enemkpali to pay for the damage to his face, and the police report noted he was missing two front teeth.

Anderson, who identifies as a senior pastor at a church in Shreveport now, declined comment unless ESPN paid him.

It seems NFL teams had information about this incident prior to his being drafted, and one team took him off their draft boards because of it. While the details are lurid and embarrassing, they also show that he has trouble sometimes keeping himself out of unfortunate situations.

Which is also how he ended up in Buffalo.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tfished-punched-a-man-he-thought-was-a-woman/

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwq2zwnmzgnkogrkowexywjimzkymjjiymrimdi4mty51.jpeg
Getty Images

As it turns out, breaking former Jets teammate Geno Smith’s jaw over $600 might be the most conventional altercation Bills linebacker IK Enemkpali has ever been in.

According to Paula Lavigne of ESPN, Enemkpali had to miss his college season opener because he injured his hand punching a man he thought was a woman with whom he had arranged to have sex via the internet.

Enemkpali needed surgery to repair the damage to his hand, but wasn’t going to play in Louisiana Tech’s game against Southern Mississippi anyway because he was suspended for punching an off-duty cop at a bar in Ruston, Louisiana earlier that year.

But let’s get back to Lola (not his name, there just happened to be a Kinks song on the radio when the alarm went off this morning).

Enemkpali wasn’t charged in the incident, and he was actually the one who filed a police report after the man demanded money from him.

The report said the whole thing started when he began exchanging messages with a Facebook friend named “Missy Lee,” who offered him oral sex if he came to her house. When he entered, he found her covered head to toe in a blanket and when she wouldn’t remove the blanket, he left.

But after “Missy Lee” called him back, he returned to the house, but she still wouldn’t come out from under the blanket or turn on the light. Fortunately (I guess), a cell phone rang, and the light of the screen revealed the person he was talking to had facial hair and another person had entered the room.

Thinking he was about to be robbed, he punched the person under the blanket, at which point the screams of pain revealed “Missy Lee” to be male.

At that point, the police report said Enemkpali left via the window, which is probably the best decision he’s ever made.

He filed the report after “Missy Lee” sent him texts threatening to file charges if he didn’t pay $1,000.

“Missy Lee,” actually a man named Ketryn Anderson, said he only wanted Enemkpali to pay for the damage to his face, and the police report noted he was missing two front teeth.

Anderson, who identifies as a senior pastor at a church in Shreveport now, declined comment unless ESPN paid him.

It seems NFL teams had information about this incident prior to his being drafted, and one team took him off their draft boards because of it. While the details are lurid and embarrassing, they also show that he has trouble sometimes keeping himself out of unfortunate situations.

That actually doesn't change my mind at all.

1. Using the internet to find either paid or unpaid hook ups (while pathetic in my mind) is pretty common among people nowadays. There are entire dorms full of college kids doing the same thing.

2. I'd punch a man pretending to be a woman in order to try to have sex with me too.

3. If I thought I was about to be robbed I'd punch a guy too.

4. Doesn't change the fact that Geno was a non paying dick.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Why would Geno not pay his debt to this IK guy when he knows the dude has a history of punching men he thinks are women?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

Getty Images

I think you misread, I don't think he punched him still under the assumption that he was a woman, so he didn't go in intentionally thinking to beat a woman.

It reads more like he discovered that it was a dude trying to fuck him and then another guy showed up and he panicked and punch the guy, in which case while really, really fucked up and hilarious not really something I can say makes it so he deserved to have Geno try to fleece him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The whole thing goes to character. It's not like this happened in his wild youth 30 years ago. Not defending Geno Smith by any means, just pointing out that Enemkpali has obvious anger issues.

I find this next quote sad yet amusing...

I'll alert my buddy, LARF in Shreveport, to go check this guy out. :sneaky:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Im not surprised he wasn't charged with punching that dude in the face. A second guy enters, shady as fuck. I think he probably was about to get robbed. I don't blame him for laying a dude out for that. Punching an undercover cop at a bar is a different story though.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right. Defending himself against "Missy Lee" is one thing. But it's telling that he injured his hand but didn't miss any games because of it - since he was already suspended for a bar fight where he punched an undercover cop.

Then he clocks a teammate. Yes, Geno Smith may be an asshole, but I'm wondering how much of the story we aren't getting still - since this guy has a history of punching people like that, with or without good cause.

I'm surprised he hasn't been suspended for it - even if Geno is a jerk I wouldn't think the NFL would want to allow players to break another player's jaw except in self defense.