Game Review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamzFanz said:
I'm not saying they executed well on D. I don't think they win even if they did.
Nope, probably not. Not when you give up almost two beans in the run game. Which is another reason why the pass defense wasn't effective. Gap integrity was for shit, and Walton was guessing wrong quite a bit. That's where I can tell you the scheme wasn't working. Play calling was pretty iffy.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
RamzFanz said:
HitStick said:
I don't think anyone was pinning that loss on Bradford (unless you went to visit the looney bin)

Bradford has been doing okay this year.

My only complaints with him are the fact that you can guess when he's going to snap the ball. I was calling all game long and I didny have to study film to do it.

I also have noticed he has been throwing nothing but rockets in the last two games. The first week he threw with touch and only rifled it when he needed too. Look at Manning tonight. He has not thrown a hard ball all game. Just tosses it to the spot. I think this may be the reason for the drops.

Yeah, balls being thrown at terminal velocity isn't helping. It also seems he's late and behind the receiver more than in the past.

I think he may be adjusting to the speed of his receivers but still...You can have the Calvin Johnson hands and still have those fastballs bounce off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HitStick said:
I don't think anyone was pinning that loss on Bradford (unless you went to visit the looney bin)

My only complaints with him are the fact that you can guess when he's going to snap the ball. I was calling all game long and I didny have to study film to do it.

I also have noticed he has been throwing nothing but rockets in the last two games. The first week he threw with touch and only rifled it when he needed too. Look at Manning tonight. He has not thrown a hard ball all game. Just tosses it to the spot. I think this may be the reason for the drops.

Manning doesn't throw hard balls because he can't. His arm is shot. Hasn't been the same since his neck surgeries. That's how good Manning is.

If you want to fit the ball in against tight coverage, you gotta put oomph on it. These are pro WRs. They have no excuse not to catch it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
On the offensive line when we needed a 1st down, we couldn't block anybody. It's hard to evaluate anything else after that. If that doesn't get fixed, we are in for a long season.
On defense, if we can't control the line of scrimmage at all, again, it's hard to evaluate after that. But what we know is that we are one of the poorest, if not the poorest in stopping the opponents 3rd downs, and we are ranked 30th at getting them.

3rd downs are the game, gentleman.

Both of our lines need to play better.

What I'm seeing on defense, is that they need to trust each other to do their jobs. Too many guys are over-committing, and getting sucked into the muck. Dallas' first play of the game demonstrates that when Finnegan loses contain by going in too deep, and easily getting blocked by the TE. Now they have 15 yards of grass, one blocker out front, and our safety coming from 15 yards deep to try to make a play. Too tough, and too much space to work with, and this happened all night.

Too many times our defense took the wrong shoulder, the easy shoulder. We played right into their hands, but it wasn't scheme on plays like that, it was players doing the wrong thing. You can call it coaching if you like, but these guys have been coached since Pee Wee to attack the opposite shoulder that the offense wants to give you. Plus, Dallas was allowed to grab our dlineman and throw them down. On the play that Dallas got to their first 1st and goal, they threw Cudjo down, and held Langford. Horrible refs.

Their oline was on the second level all day, and they killed us with draws, where we ran ourselves out of the play, thinking it was pass. That is a player issue also.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

It was pretty obvious. Williams looks down, hits Wells on the leg and then looks up. Ball snapped.
That is on Wells who HAS to vary the time that he snaps the ball. It was so stupid, and they probably picked up on it from the last game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
What I'm seeing on defense, is that they need to trust each other to do their jobs. Too many guys are over-committing, and getting sucked into the muck.
After rewatching, that was the general takeaway I had also.

Thanks for the validation. :tooth:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
What I'm seeing on defense, is that they need to trust each other to do their jobs. Too many guys are over-committing, and getting sucked into the muck.
After rewatching, that was the general takeaway I had also.

Thanks for the validation. :tooth:
I know that it is a fine line. You need to trust your teammate, but you have to have his back too. So, a little patience is needed, but not too much patience, or you are getting blocked on the second level. Dallas executed almost perfectly, but they were allowed some liberties...

Do YOUR job first, YOUR responsibility.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Do YOUR job first, YOUR responsibility.
Okay, okay! I will!

Gosh. :boohoo:

:lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm watching the game right now...again.

They had a lot of balls to call Dahl for holding, after what Dallas did the first couple of series. His hands were inside. Theirs have blatantly been outside.

They hit Sam in the face on the third and long play at the end of the 1st Q. That should have been a first down.

Uggghhh....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dallas 3rd and 6, Jenkins 10 yard cush, and he backpedals. Austin runs a 6 yard slant....what a concept. Jenks doesn't make contact until it's a 12 yard gain. Does anyone here think that Austin can outrun Jenkins? Curious call.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Found another nugget. Nobody is really communicating verbally. You don't really hear, pass, pass, pass, draw, draw, screen, screen, etc. Guys need to know this stuff. Player issue.

I'll stop.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

Manning doesn't throw hard balls because he can't. His arm is shot. Hasn't been the same since his neck surgeries. That's how good Manning is.

If you want to fit the ball in against tight coverage, you gotta put oomph on it. These are pro WRs. They have no excuse not to catch it.

Okay then, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Colon Kapadick, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers...none of them throw the fast ball every time...none of them suffer from drops...

A 50 mph chunk of leather traveling only 7 yards is hard to catch no matter who you are.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HitStick said:
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

Okay then, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Colon Kapadick, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers...none of them throw the fast ball every time...none of them suffer from drops...

A 50 mph chunk of leather traveling only 7 yards is hard to catch no matter who you are.
Brett Fav-ruh's receivers didn't have an issue with those. And I think we're being a tad hyperbolic now too.

Just a smidge.

sent via Tapatalk.

had

Rookie
HitStick said:
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

I don't want to derail the thread on this subject of Bradford throwing heat, but if I recall, guys used to say that Elway threw the ball so hard that the little cross on the top seam of the ball would get imprinted on their chest. Sam Bradford, please continue.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
HitStick said:
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

Brett Fav-ruh's receivers didn't have an issue with those. And I think we're being a tad hyperbolic now too.

Just a smidge.

sent via Tapatalk.
Because Sam doesn't throw it hard every time either. BTW, Manning still has pretty darn good velocity, better than most. And BTW2, they all suffer from some drops. Receivers get used to it, but it may take a little time if they haven't experienced it yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HitStick said:
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

Rodgers throws one of the hardest balls in the league. So no. Kaepernick also throws fastballs often. Wilson and Brees are limited by their height but they throw them when they can.

Romo, Eli and Luck don't have strong arms. Luck, especially, doesn't have a lot of velocity on his balls.

The guys with strong arms throw fastballs...because it's necessary. Sam usually takes velocity off the ball when the WR is open on short routes. But when the defense is closing fast or when the window is small, it would be foolish not to put what you can on the ball.

had

Rookie
I don't have NFL rewind. So I can only see the highlights on NFL.com. I don't know if the issue is execution, or coaching, or scheme, or a combination. I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion. I only have the highlights, and a few thoughts.

--Can we look at two plays from the game and know if execution is the issue? Two plays?
--Can we argue that the Rams have more talent this year than last year?
--Can we argue that the Rams defense is not able to execute? What were they doing in pre-season to prepare their personnel to execute this defense we're seeing?
--Can we argue that our offense is predictable and easily defended?
--Can we argue that the Cowboys seemed to know exactly what we were going to do on both offense and defense? Again, I don't have rewind, so I was only able to replay the lowlights, but on the touchdown to Harris, look at the defense the Rams play -- Finnegan comes on a corner blitz (one of the sorriest corner blitzes in recent memory, more like a corner blintz, hahahahaha yes I made a joke mofer's) and there are two guys waiting for him, Long chips the TE to Laurinaitis, and then pulls over the top and gets stonewalled (Laurinaitis is toast on this play), and Harris is released to TJ (motherf'ing McDonald), who almost makes the play on the ball, but not quite, and the Rams are further buried. The Rams, who have been giving a cushion all day, have their safety up taking the slot, and they get burned. The Cowboys looked like they knew it was going to come off that way. And it played out like that all f*cking game.
--Side note: TJ McDonald is my one positive from this game. The kid has heart, can fly around and hit a ton, he cares, and he's got skills.
--Can it be argued that the Rams defense has gone from aggressive to reactionary? And that they are struggling to learn? And that they're not good at what they're being asked to do?
--Can we say that Bradford, who has demonstrated competence in hurry up, and who can make any throw known to man, is being utilized correctly when the OL mysteriously falls apart and he's just back there taking the blows?
--Can we argue that the issues that culimated in this debacle against the Cowboys were building for three games? Or six if we go back to the pre-season? Can we say that adjustments were made to start games more agressively?

The screen is now jumping around on me, and I can no longer see what I'm typing. I think, given the questions posed above, and given the small sample size of your argument, that we can safely look at coaching staff for some answers. Damn this prancing screen damn it to hell

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bluecoconuts said:
Didn't Farve used to break receivers fingers with how much velocity he put on the ball?

I'm sure he did. Didn't Torrey have some broken fingers during his time here? I know he has that one finger...and Kurt certainly didn't have a cannon.

I remember Al Harris saying that Bradford threw the 2nd hardest ball when he was here behind Rodgers.

If the QB has the arm, he'll use it. Touch is certainly useful but only in certain situations...and that situation is usually trying to get the ball over a defender...whether he's on the DL or a LB or a DB.