Game Review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Okay, so here are my thoughts. Watched it twice now.

1. The problem is primarily execution. Complain about the zone coverage all you want, but it's not being executed properly. Here's one play for a modest gain that I'll use as an example. I watched it 11 times to make sure I understood what each defender's responsibility was supposed to be.

zTeJUmy.jpg

You have Austin up top and Bryant inside (top of screen) with Jenkins over Bryant, and Finnegan over Austin. Jenkins' responsibility is deep coverage in the event Bryant runs a hitch and go or 9. Finnegan's responsibility is the underneath zone in the event one of them cuts in. Austin is supposed to be released after about 6 yards into the zone Laurinaitis is covering so that Finnegan can crash the underneath. Jenkins is supposed to cover the sidelines and take away the deep ball with safety help over the top (depending on the read by the safety who also is responsible for reading the QB). Finnegan released late (didn't have to), while Bryant cut across the underneath zone. Not a huge deal in and of itself, but if Finnegan releases Austin and jumps the route, he could have broken up the play, or at a minimum, stopped Bryant right in his tracks instead of letting him get the first down. That was a common theme in the passing game.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why a 2nd and 1 shotgun formation trips-right pass play ended up as a sack when Dallas was only rushing 4? EXECUTION.

YyQUam4.jpg

Pead's route was simple. Run out 3 yards and turn around for the check-down. What happened instead? He ran through the line to get in position, but he clipped the back of Chris Williams' leg in the process, causing Williams to fall down and his man (Hatcher) literally stumbled INTO Bradford and registered the sack to end the half. Bradford was visibly disgusted, because he had someone down the field that he was going to target.

Did Schottenheimer have in that in the playbook? "Pead clips his own man, Bradford takes sack."
Yeah, probably not, but let's hang that on him too.

2. Holy hell with the bullshit calls. Diminish the effect of penalties all you want, and say that you're supposed to win regardless of that, but you can't beat an opponent when they're being given unfair advantages. You all saw the shove by Bryant in the endzone, but there were MANY holds that went uncalled against Dallas, and that blindside block by McDonald was 100% legal. Granted Witherspoon would have negated that Tavon TD anyway, but his guy wouldn't have been able to make a play on Austin so that's 7 points erased.

3. Maybe some of you didn't see the screens, draws, play-action fakes (out of draws) or any of the other things Schotty was dialing up to try to defeat the strong rush, but I saw enough of them to feel comfortable with the effort on his part to adjust to what was going on. My issue is that there weren't enough. But regardless, they were called and executed fairly well (with good touch by Bradford). The scheme isn't the issue, IMO. It's execution again.

4. LOL @ ANYONE who puts the blame on Bradford for this one. That was a phenomenal defensive game by Dallas in every facet. Receivers were blanketed, Cook was doubled, the rush was ferocious, and they won almost every individual battle there was. My issue was the fact that Shotgun could have been largely successful with Sam, but they didn't let him operate out of that formation nearly enough. And when he was in it, there were drops and protection break-downs. Of course, it would be nice to see him do THIS more often, but how often do you see any QB beat the odds like this with any kind of regularity? Givens did a nice job of adjusting his route and getting open.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re2wuMWw4UY[/youtube]

5. Drops. I'm not going to enumerate them. You saw them. That's not on Schotty.

6. 3rd down conversion fails. In chronological order.

1. Pressure forced Bradford to roll out, and his only option (Cook) dropped the ball. It would have been short anyway, and there was a penalty that would have negated it even if it was long enough.

2. Sacked in less than 3 seconds.
3. Sacked in less than 3 seconds.
4. Pressure, tipped at the line, would have been short even if it was completed (that's on Bradford)
5. Pressured, sacked.
6. Pass dropped (3rd & 6, 20 yard throw) by Pettis.
7. Complete, short of the sticks. Nobody ran a route beyond the marker. Rams were in 4 down mode.
8. Incomplete slant pattern. Bad timing between Givens and Bradford. 4 down mode anyway.
9. Immediate pass to Cook (Bradford looked nowhere else). Appeared to be a designed checkdown. 4 down mode.
10. 3rd & 20. What appeared to be a bad pass to Givens. No idea who was at fault for that one.

Various penalties that afforded the Rams a first down on failed 3rd down conversion attempts (interference, holding, etc).

Anyway, those are some of my observations. I don't think the team quit, I don't think the coaches did a poor job, and I'm not entirely embarrassed. I simply think they need to become more disciplined, more situationally *aware*, and need more time playing together as a team. It was a bad game for sure, but it's not indicative of what this team is all about, nor is it an indication of their limitations. It was just a bad game.

IMO of course.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Well done X.

I never put the blame on Sam yesterday. And that helps support what I thought.

However, I though Pead wasn't any good though others thought he was. I think he's a clueless head case. And I will be surprised if he is on the team next year. And you helped support what I thought on Pead as well. When was the last time a RB drafted high took so long to show he was a player? My guess is never.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
1. Then it's just bad football. Which isn't supposed to happen w/ continuity...progression not regression.

2. I said this yesterday, but if that shove really demoralized the team I gotta question their mental toughness. It was only 7-0 at that point. Also the Rams had one less penalty over Dallas (5 vs. Dallas' 6). I can't put a whole lot of blame on refs on this one. Bad call have happened and will happen all season.

3. I agree there wasn't enough. It's been beaten down, but the playmakers aren't being used the right way. Quick 3 step drops is basic football, and if these guys can't do that well what can they do?

4. I don't blame Sam; anyone who watched it could see the pressure he was under. It goes back to #3, the players aren't being used the right way. If there's heavy blitzing there should be a guy 1 on 1, regardless of who it is.

5. Agreed. Rams lead the league in drops as of now. I really hope the Rams looking for another WR shit stops.

6. Agreed, goes back to 3 and 4.

The problem isn't just having one bad game. It's been 3 games the way they have been played out. I'm beginning to think Arizona was a lucky W. They just aren't playing football they way they are capable of.

iced

max said:
Well done X.

I never put the blame on Sam yesterday. And that helps support what I thought.

However, I though Pead wasn't any good though others thought he was. I think he's a clueless head case. And I will be surprised if he is on the team next year. And you helped support what I thought on Pead as well. When was the last time a RB drafted high took so long to show he was a player? My guess is never.

I actually like Pead head and shoulders above everyone else at RB. Complain about the KR all you want and I'll give you that, but here's what I saw Pead has over the other rb's:

- we all know he is the best pass blocker so i don't need to go into this
- hands,without question has the best hands at rb. Also led team in catches
- broke some tackles and ran with power and speed... Beautiful broke a tackle from Hatcher (a d-lineman at that).
- he's healthy

I have seen enough of Drich to not want him in there on passing downs - he drops too many. Whether its the pick 6 , him running a slant from the slot or an angle route out of the backfield and hits him in the numbers.

Cunningham just makes me go meh when he's gotten the ball. Honestly feel like if there's a back who can make something out of nothing it's Pead.

Cunningham was bothering me on KR on sunday - I honestly felt like as a bigger back he was looking for contact vs trying to make a man miss and getting extra yardage.

As long as Drich is injured pead should be starting - rich clearly lacks a burst

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
1. Then it's just bad football. Which isn't supposed to happen w/ continuity...progression not regression.

2. I said this yesterday, but if that shove really demoralized the team I gotta question their mental toughness. It was only 7-0 at that point. Also the Rams had one less penalty over Dallas (5 vs. Dallas' 6). I can't put a whole lot of blame on refs on this one. Bad call have happened and will happen all season.

3. I agree there wasn't enough. It's been beaten down, but the playmakers aren't being used the right way. Quick 3 step drops is basic football, and if these guys can't do that well what can they do?

4. I don't blame Sam; anyone who watched it could see the pressure he was under. It goes back to #3, the players aren't being used the right way. If there's heavy blitzing there should be a guy 1 on 1, regardless of who it is.

5. Agreed. Rams lead the league in drops as of now. I really hope the Rams looking for another WR shit stops.

The problem isn't just having one bad game. It's been 3 games the way they have been played out. I'm beginning to think Arizona was a lucky W. They just aren't playing football they way they are capable of.
I think it will happen, and will continue to happen, until they're playing together as a team for more than 3 games. Lots of new faces on both the O and D. Established programs can infuse a few new faces and only struggle a little. A rebuilding (rebuilt?) team is going to stumble like this. In fact, that was the announcer's first sentence leading into the game. It's almost like he predicted the outcome.

I'm not blaming the refs for bullshit calls in as much as I'm blaming them for non-calls. There were a lot. I once saw Langford thrown to the ground and Brockers' arm being pulled down on the same play, and neither offensive linemen were flagged. That was brutal. It wasn't the reason for the loss, but it certainly did keep them from playing their best football.

No, they're not playing their best football yet. Clearly. They have spurts that they play well, but that continuity and consistency is still a little ways away. With only 16 games, it's up to the coaching staff to get it ironed out in a hurry. Thursday is indeed a MUST WIN. You can't get into a 1-3 hole with Seattle playing the way they are. There's too big a hole to dig out of, IMO.

A55VA6

Legend
Thanks for posting this X. Alot of good info here. This team needs to play better, no doubt.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Thanx X. I know a lot of us get a bit excited in the heat of the moment(understatement for some of us,me) but after lookin back and reading your breakdown, lack of execution was the biggest problem. If you cant protect the QB what good does it do to stretch the field and if you cant execute the quick short game your in trouble as we saw yesterday.

I think part of the frustration is we see other teams run the quick WR screen and bust it for a huge gain, when the Rams run it they get maybe 2 or 3 yards. Other teams WRs are wide open repeatedly and hold onto the ball, something we dont see much from the Rams WRs. But we must all remember they are a young team and will only get better.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I appreciate your breaking some of this down. I'd say that I will go back and watch it again like I generally do about mid week but frankly, I just don't think I can get myself to watch that game again. Maybe by Weds or so I'll have mellowed a bit. I just remember watching a lot of D alignments that had the CBs off about 8-10 and back pedaling at the snap. I have to admit that I was so incensed by how easily Dallas was doing whatever they wanted that I'm sure I missed a lot. I didn't notice us messing up their timing or rhythm much at all. They ran the ball all over us and then played pitch and catch at will. What am I missing?

On offense did you notice many routes that were quick and easy openers that would have slowed the rush? It just seemed to me that the quick routes were both slow in developing and little stop routes. No slashing by our supposed ultra-speedy offensive threats. I didn't see many screens designed to take advantage of the over aggressive front of Dallas either. Dump offs are one thing but designed screens actually look like they are designed screens. Y'know... blockers out front, defenders closing on the QB, receiver/RB in some space. I saw the defenders closing on the QB part but....

I get what you are saying about execution but I can't get my hands around why our players would consistently execute more poorly than young players on other teams. I have a hard time buying that we had a great week of practice and somehow our guys got into the game and couldn't execute. Did Dallas really do everything different than what we game planned for? On both sides of the ball? Did our players just go out and do the opposite of what they did in practice?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
2. Holy hell with the bullshit calls. Diminish the effect of penalties all you want, and say that you're supposed to win regardless of that, but you can't beat an opponent when they're being given unfair advantages. You all saw the shove by Bryant in the endzone, but there were MANY holds that went uncalled against Dallas, and that blindside block by McDonald was 100% legal. Granted Witherspoon would have negated that Tavon TD anyway, but his guy wouldn't have been able to make a play on Austin so that's 7 points erased.
This is the ONLY issue that concerns me, because:
(1) we don't seem to have any control over it;
(2) the NFL seems to have been targeting our team for a long long time (exhibit A: SB 36)

Everything else is fixable.

Angry Ram

X said:
Angry Ram said:

I think it will happen, and will continue to happen, until they're playing together as a team for more than 3 games. Lots of new faces on both the O and D. Established programs can infuse a few new faces and only struggle a little. A rebuilding (rebuilt?) team is going to stumble like this. In fact, that was the announcer's first sentence leading into the game. It's almost like he predicted the outcome.

I'm not blaming the refs for bullshit calls in as much as I'm blaming them for non-calls. There were a lot. I once saw Langford thrown to the ground and Brockers' arm being pulled down on the same play, and neither offensive linemen were flagged. That was brutal. It wasn't the reason for the loss, but it certainly did keep them from playing their best football.

No, they're not playing their best football yet. Clearly. They have spurts that they play well, but that continuity and consistency is still a little ways away. With only 16 games, it's up to the coaching staff to get it ironed out in a hurry. Thursday is indeed a MUST WIN. You can't get into a 1-3 hole with Seattle playing the way they are. There's too big a hole to dig out of, IMO.

I disagree w/ that reasoning. On offense, you only have Tavon Austin that is a rookie and playing a good chunk of the time. Jake Long and Jared Cook are veterans, pro bowl caliber veterans. Rest of the starting offense? Same as last season.

On defense, Alec Ogletree, TJ McDonald are the only two that like Tavon play a majority of the time. Rest is again full of veterans.

Now you can say 2nd year and maybe even some 3rd year players are still developing, which of course they are, but I don't see any progress. That's the issue. Will it happen...again sure as hell hope so.

Also regarding coaching, Kevin Demoff this past offseason the offense is working toward how the Saints' O operates; not that it'll by as dynamic and put up 30+ PPG as them, but that specific players will have specific packages to make plays. I was excited to hear that, sadly the coaches aren't doing that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

I disagree w/ that reasoning. On offense, you only have Tavon Austin that is a rookie and playing a good chunk of the time. Jake Long and Jared Cook are veterans, pro bowl caliber veterans. Rest of the starting offense? Same as last season.

On defense, Alec Ogletree, TJ McDonald are the only two that like Tavon play a majority of the time. Rest is again full of veterans.

Now you can say 2nd year and maybe even some 3rd year players are still developing, which of course they are, but I don't see any progress. That's the issue. Will it happen...again sure as hell hope so.

Also regarding coaching, Kevin Demoff this past offseason the offense is working toward how the Saints' O operates; not that it'll by as dynamic and put up 30+ PPG as them, but that specific players will have specific packages to make plays. I was excited to hear that, sadly the coaches aren't doing that.
I said there are lots of new faces, and you named a lot of new faces. lol.

Aside from that, try to understand my point. There are a bunch of first contract players on this team who are responsible for making the offense click. And it's a collaborative effort. If one guy is off, then the whole play can be a failure. It's going to be a learning process regardless of what Kevin Demoff's *vision* for the offense was and is. That said, it can absolutely get to the point that mismatches will create a multitude of opportunities, but not until they're all playing on the same page.

And again, the coaches aren't failing here. Not from what I just saw.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X,whats your take on the "blindside block" called twice in this game?
I have to be honest,i'd never even heard of that crap before yesterday.

On the gorgeous Tavon punt return TD called back:
The TJ block looked legal to me. Obviously there was a block in the back behind the play which i get but...damn that play was a knife slowly entering my spine....brutal erased play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mojo Ram said:

The TJ block looked legal to me. Obviously there was a block in the back behind the play which i get but...damn that play was a knife slowly entering my spine....brutal erased play.
It was bullshit. Maybe it just looked too violent for Nancy and the rest of the refs.

sent via Tapatalk.

Angry Ram

X said:
Angry Ram said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

I said there are lots of new faces, and you named a lot of new faces. lol.

Aside from that, try to understand my point. There are a bunch of first contract players on this team who are responsible for making the offense click. And it's a collaborative effort. If one guy is off, then the whole play can be a failure. It's going to be a learning process regardless of what Kevin Demoff's *vision* for the offense was and is. That said, it can absolutely get to the point that mismatches will create a multitude of opportunities, but not until they're all playing on the same page.

And again, the coaches aren't failing here. Not from what I just saw.

I'm under the mindset that even if you're a new face and a veteran, especially one that is highly praised and/or Pro Bowl caliber, that doesn't excuse from bad play. I can understand last year w/ all the moving parts and rookies that there would be the struggles, but this year it's only additional ammo in the form of mostly vets. If one guy is off, it's up to the coach to "turn him on" or put in another guy that will. Wasn't coach the one to say "tell him [Janoris] to go man up and make a play"? And he did, which is what I want.

We'll find out Thursday if the team can "man up."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X said:
Mojo Ram said:

It was bullshit. Maybe it just looked too violent for Nancy and the rest of the refs.

sent via Tapatalk.
Yep,and if Joe no name Smith on the Falcons special teams unit had blasted someone on that very same play it probably doesn't get called....because they're a "clean" team in terms of penalties called.
BS indeed.

I really cant wait until Tavon FINALLY gets one of those to count. Poor kid. His body language says it all. Anytime he does his thing and makes a big play anymore his first reaction is to stop and look back to check for yellow laundry :nono:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Anytime he does his thing and makes a big play anymore his first reaction is to stop and look back to check for yellow laundry

The really sad part is thats the entire NFL now.

At least I got to enjoy the NFL when it was the N F L

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
X thanks for the review. i dont have the game tape but can you tell me if you noticed recievers down field much.? watching the game i noticed alot of times no one was past 10 yards on there routes or if there was it was only 1. this concerns me and that would show if its our routes or if we are not useing our weapons correctly

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JIMERAMS said:
X thanks for the review. i dont have the game tape but can you tell me if you noticed recievers down field much.? watching the game i noticed alot of times no one was past 10 yards on there routes or if there was it was only 1. this concerns me and that would show if its our routes or if we are not useing our weapons correctly
Coaches tape isn't available yet, but there didn't appear to be many long developing plays from what I saw.

sent via Tapatalk.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Clearly. They have spurts that they play well, but that continuity and consistency is still a little ways away. With only 16 games, it's up to the coaching staff to get it ironed out in a hurry. Thursday is indeed a MUST WIN. You can't get into a 1-3 hole with Seattle playing the way they are. There's too big a hole to dig out of, IMO.

Nice job on the play breakdowns....execution is indeed THE issue and has been. We're all disappointed at this start, I can't add a thing to what you've already posted today. I just hope that many on this site will have a little more patience. It's been said before, but this is a young team and young teams make mistakes, sometimes in bunches.

When they play terrible, I moan, groan and get pissed along with all the rest, how can anyone who cares not do so? At the same time, I think it's a little early to call for the heads of both coordinators as happened Sunday.

I believe expectations are too high (or were), but we owe it to the entire team and coaching staff to let things play out this season and evaluate the results at seasons end....a lot can and will happen between now and then.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Great write up and analysis X.

Bradford looked like an elite QB on that play that you highlighted. To be able to climb the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield and then to be able to step into a throw were he is fully aware of the fact that he's going to get a helmet to the chin all while delivering a strike to Givens was masterful.

The one thing that concerns me is why aren't we able to adjust to the blitz with "hot" reads. Is this an issue with young/inexperienced WRs? When I think about this I can't get the image of Quick dropping a beautifully thrown "hot" slant in the 4th quarter. Are our concepts too difficult? Are the progressions not clearly defined? Is Bradford playing read-and-react as opposed to understanding spacing and concepts...

The defense is got a bye in that game in my opinion. I really believe they're just playing possum for the 9'er game.