Game Day Thread: Rams vs Packers.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jap said:
I think we know who our #2 QB is gonna be.
Certainly not the guy who went 2/11 for 27 yards and 2 ints.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Ray Ray is coming on fast. The light bulb clicked on and the game has slowed down for him. He keeps progressing he will get serious playing time this year. Has a nose for the ball.

Clemens is toast. Deer in the headlights. I don't think the 3rd sting Oline could get work at a Jack in the box.
If we had the roster room I would like to keep Radway just to return kicks. He's the only one that has a clue on how to do it.

Helmick made the team tonight with that one catch.

It was a win because no one got hurt.

jap

Legend
I would truly love to see Benny Cunningham run behind the OL 1's.

Also, who knows? Jo-Lonn's screw-up might eventually result in Ray Ray being elevated to the starting LB crew. 'Spoon will take the lead with the LB 1's at first, of course, but he is needed to back up all LB positions.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Here's what pissed me off....

Illegal FormationS,,,, multiple illegal formations. For shit fucking sakes.

A55VA6

Legend
Selassie I said:
Here's what pissed me off....

Illegal FormationS,,,, multiple illegal formations. For shyte freaking sakes.
Yeah that needs to be cleaned up.

Ray Ray, Laurinaitis, Ogletree... that would be a nice starting 3 as they gain experience.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm going to look at the positives in this game. We'll probably discuss a lot of negatives in the coming week, so I want to send some positive vibes.

Ray-Ray Armstrong. Oh - my - goodness. That kid can flat out play. Even his coverage on the Stoneburner touchdown wasn't that bad; he got turned around a bit, but he still made a nice break on the ball. Just couldn't come up with the deflection. He was literally all over the field, made great stops, pressured the quarterback, played excellent special teams, and had the biggest fucking hit I've seen from a Rams player this preseason. He more than earned himself a backup slot at the very least.

I loved how Quinton Pointer played. In my opinion, he's the most unheralded player on our team right now. Nobody's talking about him, and he deserves to be talked up. He had fantastic coverage for the most part, and he made some nice defensive and special teams plays.

Rodney McLeod, Cody Davis, and Matt Daniels made some pretty nice plays. I liked how Daniels made the sure tackle and wrapped up on third down instead of trying to blow the guy up. Davis' blocked kick was impressive. Wish it would've gone our way. McLeod never had the interception (it hit the ground first), but I think he played his way into the starting safety spot opposite McDonald. I know he's one of our best special teams players, but the guy has the talent to start...and I'm sure that Daniels, Davis, and Pointer can pick up the slack.

Jared Cook's catch-and-run was a thing of beauty. If we can do more of that during the season, we'll be in good shape. Brian Quick may have had only one catch, but it was a good one, and if we had, say, Bradford throwing to him on his other two targets, I think he'd have a lot more than that.

Justin Veltung on that one punt return was incredible, and I thought that his drop was more along the lines of defensive pass interference than it being his fault. I'd love to see the Rams try him out on kick returns, actually. Andrew Helmick was great at getting the first down, just like Amendola used to do for us. I want to keep them both, to be honest. If you put one of them on the practice squad, he's getting snatched up.

Gerald Rivers flashed a lot. Showed a lot of athleticism. Mason Brodine also flashed a fair bit of potential. Both of them could be practice squad candidates.

Austin Davis owes Terrance Ganaway a lot for that touchdown pass; he would've gotten killed if the protection wasn't there. Personally, I thought Ganaway was the best back for us on the field not named Daryl Richardson. He didn't get any carries, but he still made his presence known by his excellent pass-protection. Davis may have gotten sacked and pressured a lot, but it sure as hell wasn't Ganaway's fault. I want to see a lot more of him in the next preseason game...with the first team offensive line.

If anyone else wants to add anything to this, feel free.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good stuff, Mem. We can all harp on the negatives, but I'm not in the mood to dwell on that.

I'll add this.

I'm VERY encouraged by Hull as a Mike backer. I always knew that was his sweet spot, but he's even more aggressive and instinctive than I remember. If Laurinaitis gets hurt (highly unlikely) we'll be alright there I think.

It was nice to see Helmick get in there and catch a pass, and I like Veltung a lot. All the camp reports that sang his praises were accurate apparently.

Nobody can cover Givens. That dude is gonna be a straight up beast for us in the coming years.

I like Rivers too. Looks like a Quinn clone and he hustles just like him.

The running backs are getting much better at pass blocking. Pead especially. Big improvement there. His 11 yard run is what he can get with one block. The other times he got stuffed, there were absolutely no alternatives. Especially when you get a free rusher who meets him at the handoff. He still needs to be a bit more decisive when he gets the ball, but that will come with more reps.

Defense tightens up nicely when teams get in the redzone.

Barksdale did a fine job in place of Saffold. No sacks on Bradford is always encouraging. I'd like to see a bit more push on running plays, and expect that to be a focal point this week in practice.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I thought I read that Bradford didn't even get hit tonight. I thought I saw him get hit a little bit, but I can't remember anything specifically.. Either way that's encouraging.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
bluecoconuts said:
I thought I read that Bradford didn't even get hit tonight. I thought I saw him get hit a little bit, but I can't remember anything specifically.. Either way that's encouraging.
I only remember seeing him on the ground on the flubbed center exchange.
Ugly game but some bright spots from a few of the youngsters.
Next week will tell a lot more about where we are at.
I loved Cooks play boy does he cover ground effortlessly. I would have liked to see Baily more but kind of hard considering.

jjab360

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
Considering that he didn't get sacked the last two games of the season or I believe against the Browns last week, you've gotta love this little streak we've got going on.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I was out of town and unable to see the game. I guess I'm glad after reading the responses here.

Remember it's JUST PRESEASON!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
rafa said:
Helmick played well?
He caught one on a crossing route with nobody in the same zip code:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwBQnEtPaU[/youtube]

He also had one for 5 yards, and another that went incomplete on 4th down (bad throw into coverage).

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
X said:
rafa said:
Helmick played well?
He caught one on a crossing route with nobody in the same zip code:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwBQnEtPaU[/youtube]

He also had one for 5 yards, and another that went incomplete on 4th down (bad throw into coverage).

wow, thanks ! he has speed, great to see him on the field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
rafa said:
You're welcome. And yeah, it was nice to see him in game action.
Looks almost identical to Amendola, only slightly taller/bigger/faster.
He even runs the same way.

A55VA6

Legend
X said:
rafa said:
You're welcome. And yeah, it was nice to see him in game action.
Looks almost identical to Amendola, only slightly taller/bigger/faster.
He even runs the same way.
I've noticed this as well. Alot of similarities to Amendola. I think we need to keep this kid.