Game 1 Rewatch - Oline Grades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
It was nice to see the unit play at a productive level and with some consistency. However, I believe we just need to see some more in order to see continuity develop between them... especially with no preseason. This has been brought up by a few and also by Collinsworth last night which I agree with... The quick passing game contributed to helping the OLine when it came to pass protection. Just over 2-3 seconds on most passing downs, there simply wasn't opportunity for sacks to happen. Boom definitely needs to progress this season and I believe he will even though hes probably best suited at T as most have mentioned. I remain even keel at this point even though the optimism is there for the taking. On to week two with Cox and Graham.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Thanks for the nice breakdown! Yeah, I saw Higbee miss a couple blocks :(

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
There's nothing wrong with using a quick pass game to mask the weaknesses of the OL. Brady has been doing that for years, and Wilson has been running backwards, in circles, etc to avoid sacks.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Getting Aldon Smith blocked was a tall order for whoever was there. Trying to do it with a wr was a disaster.

I have to disagree, the guy didn't play a down for the last 5 years and he comes in and destroys a guy who played last year, had a full offseason and is younger? I get technique goes a long way but a guy who hasn't played in 5 years, probably isn't in the best football shape and didn't have a full offseason to get ready. Yeah not buying Boom isn't going to be a big problem moving forward.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Then there’s this grade, though I hear Johnson will be back at LT for them.

View: https://twitter.com/pdomo/status/1305856084805115905

Looks like the Eagles resolved their issues with the OL now & made two moves to beef up their OL.

Lane Johnson has mostly been playing RT since he was drafted with the #1 draft pick, but it sure appears it time to move Old man Peters inside to LG & insert Lane Johnson back @ his LT post that he mastered in college.

I have been wondering where OG Isaac Seumalo is lurking he started all 16 games for the Eagle last season?

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's a good front in Dallas. Our guys held. I won't say they dominated by any means.

I noticed our experienced TE's whiffing and getting manhandled quite a bit though. I'd like to shore that up before firing Noteboom.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There's nothing wrong with using a quick pass game to mask the weaknesses of the OL. Brady has been doing that for years, and Wilson has been running backwards, in circles, etc to avoid sacks.

Yeah, it sure was an awesome game plan. It’s a “tool” we can use in the future against fronts like this or as dictated by the game.

jjab360

Legend
Just goes to show some guys need a little more time to develop. We now have multiple young developing OL and I think this season will prove that there wasn't much point in drafting one early that would've taken time to develop like everyone wanted.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
95.2 Whitworth
51.8 Noteboom
81.9 Blythe
80.3 Corbett
75.8 Havenstein
After last season I'd take that every day of the week and be happy. There's still concerns but I've seen enough to think we might have the makings of a line here.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to disagree, the guy didn't play a down for the last 5 years and he comes in and destroys a guy who played last year, had a full offseason and is younger? I get technique goes a long way but a guy who hasn't played in 5 years, probably isn't in the best football shape and didn't have a full offseason to get ready. Yeah not buying Boom isn't going to be a big problem moving forward.
He's definitely improved since last year. What has impressed me is the media mentioning that the coaches shared how important it was to them that the line as a whole got more physical this offseason. So obviously they worked on that and it paid off.

But I agree with you, at least so far to say that I am not sold on him being a starter just yet. He's gonna get a real good test in Philly and again in Buffalo here real soon though which will be enlightening either way.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
He's definitely improved since last year. What has impressed me is the media mentioning that the coaches shared how important it was to them that the line as a whole got more physical this offseason. So obviously they worked on that and it paid off.

But I agree with you, at least so far to say that I am not sold on him being a starter just yet. He's gonna get a real good test in Philly and again in Buffalo here real soon though which will be enlightening either way.

Yeah I'm not so worried about philly but that buffalo defense Is legit. It's gonna be another Pittsburgh game from last year watch

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Philly has Fletcher Cox. Gonna be interesting. :beer2:

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
With just a training camp this season, the group played as well as I could have hoped for.
High hopes on a much improved performance by around weeks 4-5.
I'm very optimistic.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Sounds like we DO agree

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have NEVER blocked Fletcher Cox. Hopefully our new quick pass game helps.

Aint that the Truth. But Sullivan was a poor pass blocker, as good as he was in run blocking. I am silently hoping Blythe can slow him down, along with the play calls and run game that isnt putting us in 3rd and 11 all the time.