Game 1 Rewatch - Oline Grades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I was able to rewatch the entire Rams Cowboys game today focusing on the Oline. Every snap and every block.

I didn't take notes and perhaps someone else can do snapshots with notes if they want.

But I did watch every snap and block carefully rewinding several times to see each linemans blocks for each snap. Below is what I found.

Whitworth - A Whit is playing at a high level still. His run blocking is still Elite. He gets perfect position, locks on forever and pushes people. Not a lot of long developing pass plays, but when they were there he was solid.

Noteboom B- Noteboom was real solid knowing assignment and showed some push in this game. His biggest weakness is he is completely unable to lock on to his block. If you rewatch the game focus on Notebooms blocks. He has trouble holding his man virtually every play. I am not sure if its technique or weak hands, but he cannot lock on at all. This resulted in the Smith sack and several run plays where his man came off him to make the play. With his quick feet, smarts and initial punch he is by no means a slouch. He has value, but he HAS to learn how to sustain a block. I think Edwards is way ahead of Boom and would be an improvement.

Blythe - B+ Blythe is so assignment solid and technique solid that he is almost always getting the job done. He didn't have any breakdowns that I remember. Because we run so many zone runs, he is able to leverage that running block and translate it into pushing his man back. This scheme is really perfect for him.

Corbett - A Corbett was awesome on tape. He showed lots of power at times, quickness and a real understanding of what we were doing. He pushed him man back on most plays. He did get beat on a spin move one time during pass protection but overall his game was really awesome in this one. Lets see how he holds up to a better defensive front. Right now I am on his bandwagon big time.

Havenstein B+ Big Rob is back to being excellent in the run game. He used perfect positioning, hand usage and his wide frame to really stonewall people and push them back. His Pass protection in this one was mostly pretty solid. Considering the very few longer developing pass plays, he didn't have much opportunity to give up a sack. He looks like the old Rob that was rated at the top in run blocking.

TE's Everett and Higbee need work in the run game and failed on more than one occasion.

Kupp - Cooper is maybe our favorite player here. I love the guy, but he has a lot of work to do in the run game. At times he gets completely destroyed or missed his block. It was the same last year. Love the guy but he has a lot of work to do. People don't realize how important our WR blocking in in the run game, but at times a breakdown is due to our WR's.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I was able to rewatch the entire Rams Cowboys game today focusing on the Oline. Every snap and every block.

I didn't take notes and perhaps someone else can do snapshots with notes if they want.

But I did watch every snap and block carefully rewinding several times to see each linemans blocks for each snap. Below is what I found.

Whitworth - A Whit is playing at a high level still. His run blocking is still Elite. He gets perfect position, locks on forever and pushes people. Not a lot of long developing pass plays, but when they were there he was solid.

Noteboom B- Noteboom was real solid knowing assignment and showed some push in this game. His biggest weakness is he is completely unable to lock on to his block. If you rewatch the game focus on Notebooms blocks. He has trouble holding his man virtually every play. I am not sure if its technique or weak hands, but he cannot lock on at all. This resulted in the Smith sack and several run plays where his man came off him to make the play. With his quick feet, smarts and initial punch he is by no means a slouch. He has value, but he HAS to learn how to sustain a block. I think Edwards is way ahead of Boom and would be an improvement.

Blythe - B+ Blythe is so assignment solid and technique solid that he is almost always getting the job done. He didn't have any breakdowns that I remember. Because we run so many zone runs, he is able to leverage that running block and translate it into pushing his man back. This scheme is really perfect for him.

Corbett - A Corbett was awesome on tape. He showed lots of power at times, quickness and a real understanding of what we were doing. He pushed him man back on most plays. He did get beat on a spin move one time during pass protection but overall his game was really awesome in this one. Lets see how he holds up to a better defensive front. Right now I am on his bandwagon big time.

Havenstein B+ Big Rob is back to being excellent in the run game. He used perfect positioning, hand usage and his wide frame to really stonewall people and push them back. His Pass protection in this one was mostly pretty solid. Considering the very few longer developing pass plays, he didn't have much opportunity to give up a sack. He looks like the old Rob that was rated at the top in run blocking.

TE's Everett and Higbee need work in the run game and failed on more than one occasion.

Kupp - Cooper is maybe our favorite player here. I love the guy, but he has a lot of work to do in the run game. At times he gets completely destroyed or missed his block. It was the same last year. Love the guy but he has a lot of work to do. People don't realize how important our WR blocking in in the run game, but at times a breakdown is due to our WR's.
Nice review...thanks

Woods must have shined as a run blocker

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just a few plays that I noticed in the game when I rewatched.

There was a screen early in the game (I think to Woods) and out in front was Noteboom, Blythe, Corbett. That looked like a wall moving down the field and they all landed excellent blocks.

Rob had a play that was very savvy on a running play. His guy beat him and bull rushed him initially. He locked onto the guy and pulled him out of the hole. I don't think I've ever noticed a block like this. He pulled him into the backfield and out of the hole. The defender eventually falling down because he was being pulled forward.

Late in the game we went with a run that was a real power run. Whitworth pushed his dude 10 yards up the field and had Malcolm fall at his ankles. Whitworth was pumped! Turned to the sideline and motioned like keep calling this shit.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just a few plays that I noticed in the game when I rewatched.

There was a screen early in the game (I think to Woods) and out in front was Noteboom, Blythe, Corbett. That looked like a wall moving down the field and they all landed excellent blocks.

Rob had a play that was very savvy on a running play. His guy beat him and bull rushed him initially. He locked onto the guy and pulled him out of the hole. I don't think I've ever noticed a block like this. He pulled him into the backfield and out of the hole. The defender eventually falling down because he was being pulled forward.

Late in the game we went with a run that was a real power run. Whitworth pushed his dude 10 yards up the field and had Malcolm fall at his ankles. Whitworth was pumped! Turned to the sideline and motioned like keep calling this shit.

I'll add that this offense and Jared are very in sync with his rhythm at the line of scrimmage. How many times did we draw them offsides?

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for posting. I notice PFF often does lazy grading without justification. Not that I provided details either.

But Corbett had a really great showing. He will need a little work in resetting to counter pass pro moves but I dare anyone to watch the game play by play and carefully watch Corbett. His run game work was really strong with excellent push and sometimes destroying folks. Trust me I was a critic of him last year so I dont just give Fandom praise.

Whitworth did destroy in the run game as well. Not only does he lock on and take guys completely out of the play but his anticipation on where the defender and carefully getting in perfect position to take the guy out of the play is a clinic. For an old dude it is crazy to see how physical he gets banging inside and rooting out his guy. Hopefully he holds up.

I honestly don't see anyway Noteboom is going to be a LT in the future, he has so so far to go with his hand usage. The talent is there with the smarts and feet and now more bulk. But geez man he can't hold on to his guy after initial contact.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thanks for posting. I notice PFF often does lazy grading without justification. Not that I provided details either.

But Corbett had a really great showing. He will need a little work in resetting to counter pass pro moves but I dare anyone to watch the game play by play and carefully watch Corbett. His run game work was really strong with excellent push and sometimes destroying folks. Trust me I was a critic of him last year so I dont just give Fandom praise.

Whitworth did destroy in the run game as well. Not only does he lock on and take guys completely out of the play but his anticipation on where the defender and carefully getting in perfect position to take the guy out of the play is a clinic. For an old dude it is crazy to see how physical he gets banging inside and rooting out his guy. Hopefully he holds up.

I honestly don't see anyway Noteboom is going to be a LT in the future, he has so so far to go with his hand usage. The talent is there with the smarts and feet and now more bulk. But geez man he can't hold on to his guy after initial contact.

At this point I wonder if they sign him once he's a free agent. Evans appears to be the OLT backup. I now Edwards is kind of stiff but I think he is better at locking on and getting push in the run game. He's not an ideal guard either.

TexasRam

Legend
At this point I wonder if they sign him once he's a free agent. Evans appears to be the OLT backup. I now Edwards is kind of stiff but I think he is better at locking on and getting push in the run game. He's not an ideal guard either.

Noteboom certainly has time to get his technique right. If he doesn't improve over the course of this year with sustaining his blocks then it wouldn't make sense signing him. Edwards might not be ideal for our scheme but he is way more solid as a guard then Noteboom, though he lacks the upside. I can't see Edwards being a LT, but I can see him being a starting guard in the right scheme. Solid backup for us as well.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Appreciate the breakdown @TexasRam . Thought we got pretty good push in the run game against a solid front of the Cowboys. Interested to see what we do in the pass game going forward when we start using more 5 and 7 step drops. I think you can count on one hand how many vertical passing concepts we had in our game plan this week.

How many more games like this does Boom get before Edwards gets a chance? Boom's the better athlete but I think Edwards might just be a better guard. Still only 10 months removed from an ACL+MCL tear, it's surprising Boom is playing already if I'm being honest.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Getting Aldon Smith blocked was a tall order for whoever was there. Trying to do it with a wr was a disaster.

TexasRam

Legend
Getting Aldon Smith blocked was a tall order for whoever was there. Trying to do it with a wr was a disaster.

yea no doubt, but Noteboom engaged several other players besides Smith and almost always allowed them to disengage. Sometimes he is unable To locate the target block or land the block. He whiffs, if you will. He’s not going to last long if he doesn’t get it fixed real quick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was happy to see Goff's hard count be so effective. The announcers made a big deal about the lack of crowd favoring that, and I'm sure that factored in, but he had dudes on their heels early with it. And perhaps more importantly the OL did a great job "jumping" when the defense does instead of letting them get back onsides (last season I'd get rather pissed when defenders would jump and our linemen would just sit there). That combo is effective at helping an offense get a few easy first downs per game which will add up over a season.

Also the screen game was really nice to see. Rams keep that up and teams are going to need to spend critical prep time focusing on it, they're going to fear that the way it's being executed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This new revised Ram OL has a ton of smarts contained in the 12 OL'ers signed. Overall currently as a unit the interior OL is new.

LG Noteboom just played his first game with Austin Blythe starting next to him @ OC. Last season JN started 6 games with OC Brian Allen next to him on his left. I am still hopeful that JN will figure out how to play between two veterans like Whitworth & Blythe. I say let's give this young man (JN) some time here. I am still amazed that JN has worked hard & withstood the pain of preparing himself through the rehab even to be ready to fully participate in TC. To that, I say Kudos to JN!

Last season Blythe played OC with Demby, Edwards & Corbett on his left side. Center Blythe just played his first game with Corbett starting next to him on his right side. Last season Blythe played with rookies Edwards & Evans to his right. Austin Blythe is in his first NFL season as the designated starter @ center beginning in the Training Camp.

On Austin Corbett's .....it was his first NFL start @ RG, in addition, it was his first NFL gm where he was playing with RT Havnestien playing next to him.

1600195651831.png

Perhaps lost in the hoopla of the Rams’ huge 20-17 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night in a stirring SoFi Stadium debut was the play of venerable left tackle Andrew Whitworth. To kick off his 15th NFL season, Whitworth, 38, had one of the best games of his career as he was brilliant both in pass and run protection Sunday night. Pro Football Focus gave Whitworth a grade of 95.2 and it was the highest grade of any Rams’ player in the win over the Cowboys. It was also Whitworth’s highest PFF grade since 2010.

So, one thing we learned in the Rams’ win was that their left tackle is still capable of playing at a high level and be an anchor of an offensive line that needs to have a bounce-back season as a group.

The Rams made re-signing Whitworth a priority in the offseason and he was inked to a three-year deal that will keep him on the team until after he turns 41. After watching him Sunday night, there is no doubt Whitworth can continue to dominate for the long term.

That was a damn tough Dallas defensive front Whitworth tangled with and he was the best player in the trenches. As you soak in this victory, take time to enjoy what big No. 77 accomplished.

Last edited:

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I thought line did okay but Noteboom and Hav are liabilities in pass pro...I hope they improve as the season goes on but I wouldn't be upset if Tackle and Guard are high on our shopping list next offseason...