Game 1 Rewatch - Oline Grades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I still say I want a veteran guard in there if a Leary is availble or give Edwards a shot. We know Notebooms a tackle and while he cannot hold blocks and may lack strength to hold on to people that's at guard where you need to be a road grator and over power people to open up holes in closer quarters against big DT's. I actuallythink playing tackle he can still be successful because he does have speed and very good footwork so he can impede pass rushers with quick moves or first steps from getting to goff. And while bull rushers may provide more of a problem for him he still will be better in space and has quickness to recover on a bull rush. And bull rushes will not be constant play after play like in the dirty trenches where it's constant power and his footwork at guard isn't as utilized because guard requires a different skill set.

I may be wrong but I still believe he could actually be a good LT but guard the constant power and contact needed isn't for him. It's about time they just let the dude soak up everything whitworth has to offer but the guard experiment needs to end. There is Edwards and also one or two free agents available for cheap for now.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I was able to rewatch the entire Rams Cowboys game today focusing on the Oline. Every snap and every block.

I didn't take notes and perhaps someone else can do snapshots with notes if they want.

But I did watch every snap and block carefully rewinding several times to see each linemans blocks for each snap. Below is what I found.

Whitworth - A Whit is playing at a high level still. His run blocking is still Elite. He gets perfect position, locks on forever and pushes people. Not a lot of long developing pass plays, but when they were there he was solid.

Noteboom B- Noteboom was real solid knowing assignment and showed some push in this game. His biggest weakness is he is completely unable to lock on to his block. If you rewatch the game focus on Notebooms blocks. He has trouble holding his man virtually every play. I am not sure if its technique or weak hands, but he cannot lock on at all. This resulted in the Smith sack and several run plays where his man came off him to make the play. With his quick feet, smarts and initial punch he is by no means a slouch. He has value, but he HAS to learn how to sustain a block. I think Edwards is way ahead of Boom and would be an improvement.

Blythe - B+ Blythe is so assignment solid and technique solid that he is almost always getting the job done. He didn't have any breakdowns that I remember. Because we run so many zone runs, he is able to leverage that running block and translate it into pushing his man back. This scheme is really perfect for him.

Corbett - A Corbett was awesome on tape. He showed lots of power at times, quickness and a real understanding of what we were doing. He pushed him man back on most plays. He did get beat on a spin move one time during pass protection but overall his game was really awesome in this one. Lets see how he holds up to a better defensive front. Right now I am on his bandwagon big time.

Havenstein B+ Big Rob is back to being excellent in the run game. He used perfect positioning, hand usage and his wide frame to really stonewall people and push them back. His Pass protection in this one was mostly pretty solid. Considering the very few longer developing pass plays, he didn't have much opportunity to give up a sack. He looks like the old Rob that was rated at the top in run blocking.

TE's Everett and Higbee need work in the run game and failed on more than one occasion.

Kupp - Cooper is maybe our favorite player here. I love the guy, but he has a lot of work to do in the run game. At times he gets completely destroyed or missed his block. It was the same last year. Love the guy but he has a lot of work to do. People don't realize how important our WR blocking in in the run game, but at times a breakdown is due to our WR's.

Good review brother. :cool: :cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2:

MachS

Hall of Fame
We have NEVER blocked Fletcher Cox. Hopefully our new quick pass game helps.

Yea and if people don't think Cox will be getting lined up across from Noteboom majority of the game, then they dont know the NFL. Thats the problem with Noteboom in year 3 and still "developing" at guard. Every game he will be getting matched up with stud pro bowl level players and he hasn't shown he can hold his own against those guys.

McVay did a great job scheming to help him and the line out, but if he called a bunch of 5 and 7 step drop passing plays, I guarantee you Aldon Smith would've had another sack or two against Noteboom. We can't attack down the field like we need to if McVay doesn't trust the pass blocking. Because Goff has shown now over 4 years he throws ints, fumbles, and misses throws when faced with a lot of pressure in his face, and that's when we lose. McVay seems keen on calling games that minimize the possiblity of that, just like the end of last year.

If we're running the ball well I think this formula will work. But as soon as our running game is shut down and we're forced into known passing situations, ie 2nd/3rd and longs...I just dont think Boom can hold his blocks.

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good review brother. :cool: :cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2:
Thanks Dag, hows it going BRo? What ever happened to all those people that we met up with in St Louis in Bradfords rookie year? Do any of them post here?

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea and if people don't think Cox will be getting lined up across from Noteboom majority of the game, then they dont know the NFL. Thats the problem with Noteboom in year 3 and still "developing" at guard. Every game he will be getting matched up with stud pro bowl level players and he hasn't shown he can hold his own against those guys.

McVay did a great job scheming to help him and the line out, but if he called a bunch of 5 and 7 step drop passing plays, I guarantee you Aldon Smith would've had another sack or two against Noteboom. We can't attack down the field like we need to if McVay doesn't trust the pass blocking. Because Goff has shown now over 4 years he throws ints, fumbles, and misses throws when faced with a lot of pressure in his face, and that's when we lose. McVay seems keen on calling games that minimize the possiblity of that, just like the end of last year.

If we're running the ball well I think this formula will work. But as soon as our running game is shut down and we're forced into known passing situations, ie 2nd/3rd and longs...I just dont think Boom can hold his blocks.

I'm really puzzled why Edwards doesn't get the start over Boom. I've watched every snap of both Boom and Edwards and Edwards is much more solid, he doesn't whiff on blocks like Boom does. I get that Boom has more upside and has the better feet for our scheme but Edwards is a solid lineman that rarely loses his block. I just really wonder what Kromer and Mcvay are thinking here, I am sure it's something us casual fans aren't aware of.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure that Noteboom is on a short leash, especially since Edwards has some experience. I trust McVay and Kromer on this.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm really puzzled why Edwards doesn't get the start over Boom. I've watched every snap of both Boom and Edwards and Edwards is much more solid, he doesn't whiff on blocks like Boom does. I get that Boom has more upside and has the better feet for our scheme but Edwards is a solid lineman that rarely loses his block. I just really wonder what Kromer and Mcvay are thinking here, I am sure it's something us casual fans aren't aware of.

Yea to me Edwards was much better at guard, in his rookie year nonetheless with far less coaching and overall reps. It wasn't even close comparing his performance with Booms to me. That's what was so puzzling in camp when we heard he wasn't starting this year. Its hard to believe he regressed and Noteboom beat him out all while coming back from a ACL+MCL tear.

So just my speculation but maybe its one of these scenarios: 1.) Noteboom is the better athlete, and maybe at this point he's not better than Edwards at guard but they want to see how much he can develop and are projecting his upside as higher than Edwards if he gets to where Kromer thinks he can. And with no off-season the only way to get there is through reps.

2.) We used a high 3rd round pick and benching him this year would mean we're pretty much giving up on him. I've read Noteboom struggles with confidence and if we bench him and through 3 years he's been a bad player, there's no way we can expect him to just be a solid LT when Whit retires. Maybe this is just a last ditch effort to see what he's got because we already know Edwards is a good player.

3) Maybe the plan for LT isn't Noteboom at all as many have assumed. Maybe the plan for LT is Evans or Edwards. Why would Noteboom get all his reps at guard for two years now, having to learn an entirely new skillset on the interior, just to be thrown back to LT once he improves as a guard. Doesnt make sense to me. Maybe his future with us is guard or bust and we're giving him his last shot.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Whitworth doesn't practice very day so why not have Noteboom be lT in practice, groom him for the spot?

fearsomefour

Legend
I was able to rewatch the entire Rams Cowboys game today focusing on the Oline. Every snap and every block.

I didn't take notes and perhaps someone else can do snapshots with notes if they want.

But I did watch every snap and block carefully rewinding several times to see each linemans blocks for each snap. Below is what I found.

Whitworth - A Whit is playing at a high level still. His run blocking is still Elite. He gets perfect position, locks on forever and pushes people. Not a lot of long developing pass plays, but when they were there he was solid.

Noteboom B- Noteboom was real solid knowing assignment and showed some push in this game. His biggest weakness is he is completely unable to lock on to his block. If you rewatch the game focus on Notebooms blocks. He has trouble holding his man virtually every play. I am not sure if its technique or weak hands, but he cannot lock on at all. This resulted in the Smith sack and several run plays where his man came off him to make the play. With his quick feet, smarts and initial punch he is by no means a slouch. He has value, but he HAS to learn how to sustain a block. I think Edwards is way ahead of Boom and would be an improvement.

Blythe - B+ Blythe is so assignment solid and technique solid that he is almost always getting the job done. He didn't have any breakdowns that I remember. Because we run so many zone runs, he is able to leverage that running block and translate it into pushing his man back. This scheme is really perfect for him.

Corbett - A Corbett was awesome on tape. He showed lots of power at times, quickness and a real understanding of what we were doing. He pushed him man back on most plays. He did get beat on a spin move one time during pass protection but overall his game was really awesome in this one. Lets see how he holds up to a better defensive front. Right now I am on his bandwagon big time.

Havenstein B+ Big Rob is back to being excellent in the run game. He used perfect positioning, hand usage and his wide frame to really stonewall people and push them back. His Pass protection in this one was mostly pretty solid. Considering the very few longer developing pass plays, he didn't have much opportunity to give up a sack. He looks like the old Rob that was rated at the top in run blocking.

TE's Everett and Higbee need work in the run game and failed on more than one occasion.

Kupp - Cooper is maybe our favorite player here. I love the guy, but he has a lot of work to do in the run game. At times he gets completely destroyed or missed his block. It was the same last year. Love the guy but he has a lot of work to do. People don't realize how important our WR blocking in in the run game, but at times a breakdown is due to our WR's.
I agree overall.
Noteboom is the weak link at this point.
He has shown ability to stick with a block.
He is athletic enough to pull, double, get to the second level etc.
But, to me, he appears to play without balance. Whenever he does try to drive someone he ends up on the ground.
He has the measurables but is not going to be a physical blocker until he can play with balance....which I don’t know of that can be fixed.
Lack of balance equals playing too upright which equals playing without leverage with equals lack of drive run blocking and not being able to maintain blocks.
To me Noteboom was just a C grade.
He knows the offense and his assignments but was mostly just a guy running around.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would have no problem replacing Noteboom with Edwards and letting Noteboom be the primary backup tackle.
And that's exactly what I thought they were going to do.

But in training camp all things must have looked equal and they decided to not let the injury make Noteboom lose his job.
But I never remember being anywhere close to this talent level overall and this deep under Jeff Fisher.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
@MachS nailed it for me. These grades were largely because of the offense that we ran. I did not see a ton of push or lanes in the run game. I did not see a clean enough pocket on the longer developing pass plays (few as their were).

This was a continuation of the offense from late last season IMO. That's fine, but defenses will pick up on it and we will need down field shots. The roll outs, screens, etc should be a nice complement to McVays base scheme, not a replacement.

Loved the win, but the OL does still worry me if I'm being honest.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to disagree, the guy didn't play a down for the last 5 years and he comes in and destroys a guy who played last year, had a full offseason and is younger? I get technique goes a long way but a guy who hasn't played in 5 years, probably isn't in the best football shape and didn't have a full offseason to get ready. Yeah not buying Boom isn't going to be a big problem moving forward.

Aldon Smith looked nasty against just about everybody but Whit. He was disregarding TE double teams like they were nothing. Dude can still play.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Whitworth doesn't practice very day so why not have Noteboom be lT in practice, groom him for the spot?

they say that reps are very important so i don't know about having boom get reps at a position he dosen't play. i guess if the coaching staff thinks it would be wise to do that i will go along with it.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I've only made it to halftime watching film but so far I like what I see. We look good in pass protection but the run game could use some work. Seem inconsistent in making holes for the RB. Imo they looked as good or better than the end of last season but they have all season to get even better and im sure they will. TEs and Akers had some issues blocking but I think they will get better too.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I suspect week 2 throughout the NFL might look a bit different for teams as they now have a game under their belts. Really it’ll take me 3-4 weeks before I can properly evaluate guys this season. But so far it’s very positive.