CAMP REPORT Fri Aug-10 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
C5BB957A-ACC0-4E69-9F25-ACD787D963E0.jpeg

https://www.therams.com/news/seven-stats-rams-fall-to-ravens-33-7-in-preseason-week-1

Seven Stats: Rams Fall to Ravens 33-7 in Preseason Week 1

The Los Angeles Rams started off the 2018 preseason with a loss to the Ravens in Baltimore. The Rams, who rested nearly all starters on Thursday night, struggled to get much going on offense against the Ravens defense.

1. PLAGUED BY PENALTIES

The Rams racked up penalties on Thursday night. In an especially rough first half, the Rams were flagged nine times for 72 yards. Safeties Marqui Christian and Blake Countess committed consecutive unnecessary roughness penalties by leading with the helmet, a newly imposed rule in 2018. The pair of flags equated to 30 yards for the Ravens on a drive that ended with a 29-yard field goal by kicker Justin Tucker.

2. RAMS TAKE AN “L”

The Rams entered Thursday’s contest in Baltimore 4-0 all-time against the Ravens in the preseason. The 33-7 loss eliminates the Rams’ perfect preseason record against the Ravens. All five meetings have come since 2008.

3. ROOKIE LEADS RUSHERS

On a night where Los Angeles couldn’t find its offensive rhythm, rookie running back John Kelly exploded late in the third quarter for what was arguably the offensive play of the night. Kelly picked up 40 yards on a pitch from quarterback Brandon Allen, good for the the longest run of the night for L.A. Kelly finished leading all rushers with 77 yards on 13 carries.

4. WESTBROOKS’ MULTI-SACK GAME

Defensive end Ethan Westbrooks sacked Ravens’ rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson twice on Thursday night. Westbrooks’ two sacks in tonight’s preseason game matched his season totals from both 2015 (2.0) and 2016 (2.0). Westbrooks has eight career regular-season sacks.

5. ALLEN OUTPLAYS MANNION

Third-year quarterback Brandon Allen took the reins on offense from starter Sean Mannion to start the third quarter. Mannion was 3-of-13 for just 16 yards passing with one interception. Allen, who did not see the field at all last season, finished 10-for-15, 73 yards passing, and the only touchdown of the night. Allen connected late with receiver KhaDarel Hodge on an eight-yard touchdown pass.

6. HEKKER KEPT BUSY

Punter Johnny Hekker joined the list of Rams who didn’t seem himself Thursday night. The Pro-Bowl punter uncharacteristically shanked his third punt of the night, sending the ball only eight yards up the sideline. Last season, Hekker averaged 47.9-yards per punt. Hekker punted it away seven times in the preseason opener, with the Rams unable to keep their defensive second and third units off of the field.

7. THIRD DOWN WOES

Finally, the Rams struggled heavily on third downs. The offense was 4-for-15 moving the chains on third down, a conversion rate of about 26 percent. Last season, the Rams’ high-scoring offense converted 88-of-214 third down trys, good for a conversion rate of about 41 percent. Fortunately for Rams fans, the higher conversion rate came with starters like quarterback Jared Goff and running back Todd Gurley on the field.

https://www.therams.com/news/five-takeaways-running-backs-impress-in-rams-preseason-opener-vs-ravens

Five Takeaways: Running Backs Impress in Rams Preseason Opener vs. Ravens

BALTIMORE — The Rams began their preseason slate on the East Coast, falling to the Ravens, 33-7.

But being that it’s preseason, the final score far from tells the whole story. With that in mind, here are five takeaways from the first exhibition matchup of 2018.

1) RAMS REST THEIR STARTERS

As expected, head coach Sean McVay elected to rest nearly all of Los Angeles’ starters for the first preseason contest. McVay had previously said on Tuesday that much of the work the Rams were able to get against the Ravens during practice could serve as a kind of substitute for game action.

The only starters who played were right guard Jamon Brown — who will be suspended for the first two games of the season — and second-year outside linebacker Samson Ebukam.

“It just kind of felt good to have that live mindset because all this time we’ve just been laying off on the [quarterback],” Ebukam said at halftime. “This felt good just to turn loose one time. It’s just the first preseason game. It’s like oiling ourselves right now. We’re just getting loose, getting ready for the season.”

Ebukam recorded a tackle in his first game action of the preseason. But he also rushed the passer effectively, forcing Baltimore’s quarterbacks off of their spots in ways that led to sacks.

2) WESTBROOKS GETS SACKS

While defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks is not currently listed as a starter, he’s been taking first-team reps throughout training camp at three-technique given the absence of defensive lineman Aaron Donald. Westbrooks showed the work is paying off, recording two sacks in the first half.

Both sacks came in the second quarter and on third down, helping to end Baltimore possessions. On the first, Westbrooks got to quarterback Lamar Jackson and brought him down before outside linebacker Justin Lawler could come in and clean it up. Then Westbrooks brought down Jackson again on 3rd-and-5 from the Baltimore 25, this time with inside linebacker Bryce Hager there to help.

Westbrooks is heading into his fifth NFL season after first signing with the Rams as an undrafted free agent out of West Texas A&M.

3) OFFENSE SPUTTERS IN FIRST HALF

There’s no way around it: Los Angeles’ offense did not perform well in the first half.

The unit recorded only three first downs on 25 plays, picking up 45 total yards in the game’s first 30 minutes. The club ended the first half 1-of-7 in third-down efficiency.

Quarterback Sean Mannion started the contest and finished just 3-of-13 for 16 yards with an interception. He was also sacked twice, losing 13 yards on the plays.

Los Angeles’ offense was undoubtedly vanilla when it comes to scheme, and the unit was missing nearly all of its starters. And it is the first preseason game after all. But it was a disappointing night for the offense when it comes to overall performance.

4) DAVIS, KELLY PROVIDE SPARKS

There’s been some thought that running backs Justin Davis and John Kelly may be competing for a roster spot as the club’s third RB. If that is the case, Davis and Kelly likely made the decision tougher with their performances.

Davis ran well in the first half, taking seven carries for 41 yards. His longest run began a second-quarter drive and went 17 yards. The second-year running back has had a solid training camp so far.

Kelly entered the game in the second half and provided the offensive highlight of the game — taking a carry 40 yards down the field. The play began with Kelly running to his right, but he made a nice cut and ended up running diagonally toward the left sideline. Rookie wide receiver Steven Mitchell also had a nice block on the play.

The 2018 sixth-round pick out of Tennessee continued his strong play in the fourth quarter, taking a carry 14 yards with a solid cut to move Los Angeles deep into Baltimore territory for the first time all game.

Kelly finished the game with 13 carries for 77 yards, also making a pair of receptions for 14 yards.

5) NATSON RETURNS WELL

Wide receiver JoJo Natson had a lot of opportunities for returns and made the most of them — both on kicks and punts.

Natson returned seven kickoffs, averaging 23 yards on each with a long of 27 yards. And he returned four punts averaging 14.3 yards per return. His longest punt return went 29 yards up the right sideline to start a touchdown drive, with defensive lineman Brian Womac posting a solid block to spring Natson.

Additionally, Natson had a key third-down reception for nine yards on Los Angeles’ first scoring drive in the fourth quarter.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams lost, but the sky is not falling. Lots of good video for Wade and Sean to analyze.

I'm good with not playing starters. Only four games to evaluate the bottom end of the roster.

What I saw good:

JoJo Natson, showed he can be a return man and helped himself as a WR.

Noteoom, Demby and Allen all got extensive playing time. Allen showed he can play C, but need to bulk up, a Rath project.

Davis and Kelly looked good. These two are going head to head for that 3rd RB spot the next 3 games.

Allen gets the ball out quick. He can beat out Mannion if he can master the playbook.

Westbrooks look bigger and quicker. Ebukam played well. Hagar got beat a couple of time, but did OK dropping back in coverage Hill got some early critizism, but played better as the game went on.

what I saw bad:

Mannion, the "lowering the helmet" rule, and three pages worth of stuff McVay has to fix

Keep in mind, Ravens had already played a game a week earlier, and played their starts the fist qtr and some the first half..

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like our OL will need to stay healthy again all year. Good Lord.
I don't think its that bad. Fill in players were never meant to form a complete unit in themselves. They are individual stop gaps, supported on either side by 1st teamers in emergencies. Some of the back ups would be good enough to start on other teams, but their effort is masked by future Walmart greeters, soon to be banished from the NFL.....

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't think its that bad. Fill in players were never meant to form a complete unit in themselves. They are individual stop gaps, supported on either side by 1st teamers in emergencies. Some of the back ups would be good enough to start on other teams, but their effort is masked by future Walmart greeters, soon to be banished from the NFL.....

Well I think we could weather an interior replacement if necessary, but not at tackle....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I think we could weather an interior replacement if necessary, but not at tackle....
Noteboom was a little rough, but I think he will develop into something really good, myself.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lucas and DWilliams both played LT and RT. Both got beat and gave up a sack. Lucas did better at RT. DWilliams got blown away by a rookie, never laid a hand on him, for the mannion strip sack.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Looks like our OL will need to stay healthy again all year. Good Lord.

IMO the likes of Noteboom & Demby showed well and Brian Allen proved he's a Center only, Blythe also fared well, Williams & Lucas not so much and I don't understand whey they keep looking at Neary.

Concur with @bubbaramfan Allen has the tools to be a quality backup QB, sets up quick and the ball comes out, which you need in this offense. Mannion's slow delivery was obvious and how does a guy 6-6 gets so many balls knocked down?

FWIW's Rams have now lost three straight games and hopefully the next two games we can see some of the starters and win the next two, I always believe starters play one quarter in game two and a half in game three and not at all in game four.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Lucas and DWilliams both played LT and RT. Both got beat and gave up a sack. Lucas did better at RT. DWilliams got blown away by a rookie, never laid a hand on him, for the mannion strip sack.

Didn't see the game (nor will I bother watching a replay given what happened) but Williams has always been poor at LT. That's been clear for a while and doesn't look like anything has changed in that regard.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TIL the season and even career is over for anybody that looked bad last night. Relax guys there's a lot of time until week 1 and likely even until these guys are called on to play. Let the coaches do what they're paid to do.

Tano

Legend
TIL the season and even career is over for anybody that looked bad last night. Relax guys there's a lot of time until week 1 and likely even until these guys are called on to play. Let the coaches do what they're paid to do.
It's our job to freak out

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Noteboom was a little rough, but I think he will develop into something really good, myself.

It was his first actual game time in his career. He's really only had a couple of weeks of even contact practice. He's come amazingly far pretty fast so far. I'd expect him to develop at least a little bit more before the season begins, and continue learning all this season. He will be fine. Demby looks okay, but raw. Allen may not be in position to cover for multiple positions this season. I don't think anybody really expected more from him, though. He was drafted as a center, and they hoped he might cover guard in a pinch.

Rainram

Starter
....the "lowering the helmet" rule....

This is gonna cause some angst and heartache for sure.

I’d preface by saying I think we are all for increasing safety.

There are going to be some issues with this. The enforcement is going to be so inconsistent it’s going to piss people off big time. Heads are ‘lowered’ dozens of times a game, by players of every position, on offense and defense. There’s no way this gets implemented well.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams lost, but the sky is not falling. Lots of good video for Wade and Sean to analyze.

I'm good with not playing starters. Only four games to evaluate the bottom end of the roster.

What I saw good:

JoJo Natson, showed he can be a return man and helped himself as a WR.

Noteoom, Demby and Allen all got extensive playing time. Allen showed he can play C, but need to bulk up, a Rath project.

Davis and Kelly looked good. These two are going head to head for that 3rd RB spot the next 3 games.

Allen gets the ball out quick. He can beat out Mannion if he can master the playbook.

Westbrooks look bigger and quicker. Ebukam played well. Hagar got beat a couple of time, but did OK dropping back in coverage Hill got some early critizism, but played better as the game went on.

what I saw bad:

Mannion, the "lowering the helmet" rule, and three pages worth of stuff McVay has to fix

Keep in mind, Ravens had already played a game a week earlier, and played their starts the fist qtr and some the first half..
I think we end up keeping four RBs.
I see no reason to let any of them go.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is gonna cause some angst and heartache for sure.

I’d preface by saying I think we are all for increasing safety.

There are going to be some issues with this. The enforcement is going to be so inconsistent it’s going to tick people off big time. Heads are ‘lowered’ dozens of times a game, by players of every position, on offense and defense. There’s no way this gets implemented well.
Yep. This rule is gonna be a heartbreaker all year. Big plays are gonna be overturned, momentum lost etc. Victories and even playoff berths may get altered by the shitty rule.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO the likes of Noteboom & Demby showed well and Brian Allen proved he's a Center only, Blythe also fared well, Williams & Lucas not so much and I don't understand whey they keep looking at Neary.

Yeah considering matchups and whatnot what matters is Noteboom & Demby both got good snaps and for the most part had solid rookie outings. Same with Allen, and btw while I wouldn't suggest you rewatch that miserable game Allen held up very well at RG, to include quite a few singled up assignments.

Our rookie OL types aren't going to net us an immediate starter, but there is definitely reason to feel good about them. The holdover depth dudes struggled moreso, I mean I didn't like how Neary looked until the very end of the game when they put him back in vs scrubs. IMO a couple of those dudes put themselves on the Turk list last night, and one of them might not survive until next game to make up for it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think its that bad. Fill in players were never meant to form a complete unit in themselves. They are individual stop gaps, supported on either side by 1st teamers in emergencies.

This is kind of where my head is at.

Not to mention, an offensive game plan gives these guys a little help (less vanilla, mixing in ways to combat pressure, etc.)... and being preseason... there was no game planning last night.

So, it was all about individual match-ups in this evaluation.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
And matchups are exactly what Phillips and McVay needed to make player evaluations. I expect more of the same in pre season game two.