Free Agent Offensive Linemen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ugh that line is just as bad or maybe worse than starting 3 rookies, Washington and Bond have been ps players and not even good enough to be on the roster...

Name me one rookie OL 'er that as the Rams HC...Fisher started day one? It took injuries to starters & into week 6 before Greg Robinson started.

Fisher prefers Ol'ers like discarded veteran OL'ers like Quinn Ojinnaka, Robert Turner, Shelley Smith, Chris Williams, Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson & Davin Joseph

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as Brandon Washington 320 pounder & Travis Bond 330 pounder ?? One thing is they both are rather large guys. You would have 655 pounds of beef on that left side & 662 pounds of beef on the right.
If size alone were the answer, I'd agree.

But, I know you are smarter than that!

Fact is, these guys have shown us nothing... at least for me, I don't want them being plan A for 2015.

Just me sayin'....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Fact is, these guys have shown us nothing... at least for me, I don't want them being plan A for 2015.

Just me sayin'....
They have to show the Rams, who have seen, and know more than any of us. Things like film room acumen, weight room strength, character, work ethic, and injury status.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Just me sayin'....
Maybe Plan "C"!! I've never cared for either one.
They remind me of these guys...
Shelley Smith, Chris Williams, Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson & Davin Joseph

wmc540

Pro Bowler

Ha. I'm not willing to gamble on the future of either player. That's for sure.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Of all the FA's I really think Blalock is the best fit even though he is north of 30. He plays LG, which would allow Saffold to move to RG or RT (prefer him at RG). Blalock he is best in power running game (Check) and he knows Coach Boo.

RT could be the most glaring hole on the team if Barksdale does not return. Outside of free agency, the internal options to fill that void are: Moving Saffold; inserting Jones, Washington, Baker, or Bond there; or bringing back Jake Long at reduced rate in June/July; or via the Draft (1st or 2nd rounder). On the FA Tackle list provided by TexasRam (thanks for the list) the only other options (aside from Barksdale and Long) in the top 10 still available are:
Byron Bell (Carolina): Age 26, 6-5 340 lbs – An undrafted FA in 2011 he played RT until 2014 when he was moved to LT with the retirement of Gross. He struggled badly at LT struggled in 2014 and the Panther opted not to try and resign him.
and Antony Collins (Tampa and Cincinnati): Age 29, 6-5 315 lbs - A former 4th round draft pick of the Bengals played pretty well in Cincinnati (2008-2013). He was signed a FA by Tampa in 2014 where he was benched due to struggles in pass protection and he was finally cut this March (I think we have had our fill of former Tampa linemen for a while).

Getting a veteran replacement at RT should Barksdale not return may actually prove very difficult meaning that drafting one early may be the best option, and there are a some promising RT options available in this draft (IMO).

I am not as concerned about center because I think the Rams have some young options (as has been noted above) and this is also a pretty good draft for centers.

As things stand now I could see the Rams starting one to two rookies along the line (probably 1) in 2015 because this group of free agent linemen just is not very inspiring.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Of all the FA's I really think Blalock is the best fit even though he is north of 30. He plays LG, which would allow Saffold to move to RG or RT (prefer him at RG). Blalock he is best in power running game (Check) and he knows Coach Boo.

RT could be the most glaring hole on the team if Barksdale does not return. Outside of free agency, the internal options to fill that void are: Moving Saffold; inserting Jones, Washington, Baker, or Bond there; or bringing back Jake Long at reduced rate in June/July; or via the Draft (1st or 2nd rounder). On the FA Tackle list provided by TexasRam (thanks for the list) the only other options (aside from Barksdale and Long) in the top 10 still available are:
Byron Bell (Carolina): Age 26, 6-5 340 lbs – An undrafted FA in 2011 he played RT until 2014 when he was moved to LT with the retirement of Gross. He struggled badly at LT struggled in 2014 and the Panther opted not to try and resign him.
and Antony Collins (Tampa and Cincinnati): Age 29, 6-5 315 lbs - A former 4th round draft pick of the Bengals played pretty well in Cincinnati (2008-2013). He was signed a FA by Tampa in 2014 where he was benched due to struggles in pass protection and he was finally cut this March (I think we have had our fill of former Tampa linemen for a while).

Getting a veteran replacement at RT should Barksdale not return may actually prove very difficult meaning that drafting one early may be the best option, and there are a some promising RT options available in this draft (IMO).

I am not as concerned about center because I think the Rams have some young options (as has been noted above) and this is also a pretty good draft for centers.

As things stand now I could see the Rams starting one to two rookies along the line (probably 1) in 2015 because this group of free agent linemen just is not very inspiring.

I hear you I agree the Right OT is an issue if you remove Rodger Saffold & Barrett Jones from the equation. As you know I been banging the drum hard to draft our new talented RIGHT OT & swing OT all in one pick!

I do not see a solution out there close or on the far horizon in free agency on the above issue. I know one thing ORT Joe Barksdale is NOT the solution. Lucky for the Rams they are in perfect position to get a real talented ORT/Swing OT in this draft...now all they have to do is select him.

One would hope that a second rookie OT would be secured too. The OL will be much better if they can keep Saffold @ the ORG post next to the new rookie OT. The selection of a second OT would finally keep Saffold home @ OG once & for all. That would mean the only other problem OL post would be @ Left OG. That's where 31 yr olds UFA 's like Blalock or Sims could come in handy. IMO the center post is not considered an issue with Fisher & Snead.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Barnes and Jones are close to worthless at this point to me...Neither has seen any significant playing time for all intents and purposes, whether because of insufficient talent, injuries or some combo of both...I wouldn't pin my hopes on either of these guys to give the Rams a quality starter on the OL at this point...I could be wrong, I know...Barnes has filled in at C but that's about it that I can think of...Jones may never be healthy...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just heard on Sirius that Evan Mathis, Pro Bowl LG from Philly may shake loose as they make cap space... Seeing as they just signed DeMarco Murray to a 5yr/$40M deal...

If that happened, all this cap space would be totally be put to good use...

And we'd be totally jammin'!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I honestly thought we'd have a top tier OLineman signing at this point(Barksdale, Wiz, Blalock, Hudson). Especially after trading Bradford's salary.
I guess i need to be patient, but i'm just not at all comfortable relying on the draft to plug these gaping holes.

I seriously doubt that Rhaney is the answer in 2015. A 7th rd pick from a community college and Tennessee St? Come on...
Barrett Jones? Maybe. Even if the kid IS FINALLY HEALTHY and STRONG ENOUGH he has no real experience in this league.

tumblr_n1c1tjHlsm1r3xxruo3_250.gif

SierraRam

Recreational User
I seriously doubt that Rhaney is the answer in 2015. A 7th rd pick from a community college and Tennessee St? Come on...
Barrett Jones? Maybe.

If I had any ROD dollars, I'd bet you on this one Mojo. If we sign a couple of decent vets and draft an OL stud or two, Jones is history. Rhaney is much more likely to make the team, and perhaps start at center. Yes, he did go to a small school, but he had a terrific senior bowl and combine. The small-school tag is the only reason he lasted until the 7th round. He could be our next Setterstrom...

500 Rods: Rhaney makes the team - goodbye Jones
upload_2015-3-12_21-3-48.jpeg

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Name me one rookie OL 'er that as the Rams HC...Fisher started day one? It took injuries to starters & into week 6 before Greg Robinson started.

Fisher prefers Ol'ers like discarded veteran OL'ers like Quinn Ojinnaka, Robert Turner, Shelley Smith, Chris Williams, Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson & Davin Joseph
And this is true for other posistons as well and is a Major flaw with Fisher as a coach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And this is true for other posistons as well and is a Major flaw with Fisher as a coach.

I not willing to say what you have on this statement but I will say it sure grinds away on me on Fisher's reluctance to pull non producing vets due to what would appear to be concern/worry about rookie mistakes.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that the Rams have signed LB Akeem Ayers and DT Nick Fairley (WOW!) can we expect them to sign an offensive lineman (Blalock, Wisniewski, Barksdale, etc) or two soon?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
where do the rams stand with the salary cap as of the Nick Fairley signing?? i like the signing but still wonder what the plans are for the oline.