Free Agent Offensive Linemen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the possible perils of free agency, but relying on the draft to fill the three open slots on that line seems awfully dangerous.
It simply takes time to get the kids up to speed where they aren't putting the QB in trouble and/or opening running lanes.

IMO, the Rams need to go hard after Wiz... I'm not real high on Blalock... and Barksdale is OK... but they need to find some starters and add depth (draft).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, Wiz to Seattle is probably a done deal. Players like a chance to win and Pete Carroll is a recruiter from his college days...

I wouldn't write it in ink, but I'd pencil him to Seattle.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Wiz to Seattle is probably a done deal. Players like a chance to win and Pete Carroll is a recruiter from his college days...

I wouldn't write it in ink, but I'd pencil him to Seattle.
Boy, if he signs with Seattle, what are the Rams coices?

I really don't like the idea of having to start one of the guys they already have (I mean, they haven't shown much to this point... either being injured or not even being "tested" in some games)... and I don't like the idea of having to start a rookie at what I consider a very underrated (in importance) position on offense.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I don't know maybe they do think Jones is ready to start but they didn't even give him a taste at the end of last season

tahoe

Pro Bowler
seriously lets look at the current depth chart:
LT Robinson
LG Saffold
C Rhaney
RG Jones - Bond
RT Washington - Baker
that's it!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LT Robinson
LG Saffold
C Rhaney
RG Jones - Bond
RT Washington - Baker
that's it!

Well we have all said we wanted consistency in our OL's ...... Fisher has done that better than we could imagine.:whistle:

Fisher has fielded a consistent dismal weak OL for 3 straight seasons......might as well go for four.:sick:

In fairness I have never wanted the Rams to go heavy in free agency as a way to improve this poor OL....better to utilize the NFL draft IMO....hopefully Fisher will go that direction here in 2015.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well we have all said we wanted consistency in our OL's ...... Fisher has done that better than we could imagine.:whistle:

Fisher has fielded a consistent dismal weak OL for 3 straight seasons......might as well go for four.:sick:

:wabbit:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

In fairness I have never wanted the Rams to go heavy in free agency as a way to improve this poor OL....better to utilize the NFL draft IMO....hopefully Fisher will go that direction here in 2015.
I agree. I think it was clear by the start of the offseason that we need to improve our line. Both fans and analysts alike have projected us to go "line heavy" in the draft, and I see no difference now. If we could get a good piece in FA great, but I wouldn't be surprised if we draft at least 3 o-lineman in may.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I agree. I think it was clear by the start of the offseason that we need to improve our line. Both fans and analysts alike have projected us to go "line heavy" in the draft, and I see no difference now. If we could get a good piece in FA great, but I wouldn't be surprised if we draft at least 3 o-lineman in may.
starting 3 rookies on the line would be suicide though...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
possibly, teams have done it before. I can't imagine any rookie being worse than Wells or Joseph, they both had good moments but when your center has issues snapping the ball throughout the year it's easy to find an upgrade. And who knows, unlikely as it may be, one of our own guys might be ready to start next season.

V3

Hall of Fame
They gotta have something up there sleeve. What if they could sign Fairly and trade Brockers for a young C or G
That would be interesting. I'd be shocked if it happened, though....well, unless the C went to Auburn.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Tahoe said:

LT Robinson
LG Saffold
C Rhaney
RG Jones - Bond
RT Washington - Baker
that's it!

Excellent observation Tahoe! The Right side of that offensive line and center look very scary...YET,

If Rams do not sign a free agent center or draft Cam Erving, then I got to believe that Snisher has witnessed very encouraging reps from either Rhaney and Barrett Jones in pads, in private practice sessions.

I would prefer our beloved Rams already have a solid NFL starting center on the roster...
Wouldn't that allow Snisher more options during free agency and the Draft? It would... Right?

After free agency and the draft are a distant memory, any half way intelligent fan will be able to deduce, in retrospect, how Snisher really felt about Demetrious Rhaney and Barrett Jones.

If Snisher doesn't believe that Rhaney or Jones can't cut it, then I got to believe we sign Wis or draft Erving... Because, like Tahoe pointed out...There is no way we walk into 2015 with our current depth chart!

So what will Sneed do?

Sneed will sign at least one starting caliber offensive lineman...Personally? I'm cool with Barksdale...Green Bay is smart because they like to resign their drafted, home grown crop of Free Agents...It's not sexy to resign home grown players, but it's damn smart... So resign Barksdale. Or Wis! (Cause Wis is short for Wisconsin, and Green Bay is...) Never mind.

OK, let's pray that Barrett Jones is a better NFL player than a college player...Dear God, that way Sneed can draft BAP or trade back a few spots and draft BAP. Bottom line?

I got to pump the brakes, after the Bradford-Foles trade.... I believe Snead has a most excellent plan...:cool:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Snead & Fisher have no need to start 3 rookies. They have young veteran options @ center. They can go back & sign (easy) 4 yr vet Tim Barnes who has been the top reserve Ram Ol'er for the past two seasons. They have Barrett Jones who has been around St Louis for two seasons plus last yrs draft choice Demetrius Rhaney who got in a full training camp & most all the pre season as the 2nd team center behind Barnes before they placed him on the IR. So I see no need to start a rookie @ center.

Snead has two talented versatile Rodger Saffold & 2nd yr first round draft pick Greg Robinson to start @ both OT posts. So there is no need to start a rookie @ either OT post.

Now onto the two remaining OG posts. Snead could looking to utilize either one or two of the three center candidates @ the OG posts. Snead also has a 26 yr old Brandon Washington who has been a Ram for 3 seasons. Washington a former 6th rd. pick has in the past played four OL posts in preseason. His best post is left OG position. Snead also has Travis Bond who has been in the NFL since 2013 as a Viking draft pick. Bond was signed by the Rams early in 2014 & was here for the 2014 OTA's plus saw extensive action @ ORG in the 2014 TC & all of the 2014 pre season.

Now.... I will be the first to say that Fisher must make a large insertion of outstanding talent into this OL unit in this draft. So Snead does have some young vets who have been here for at least one season who could plug this vacancies & start until these new arrival rookies get up to speed.

I can still see Tim Barnes & Demetrius Rhaney end up being the main two centers. That leaves the versatile OL Barrett Jones able to be the important 6th Ram OL'ers on game day to fill in as needed to all five positions mainly behind the two OT posts & OC post. If the talented OG Rookies are to be counted on early it would be @ the OG posts. Much better than @ OC or OT post.

OLT- Robinson/Jones/Rookie
OLG- Washington/Rhaney/Rookie
OC- Barnes/Rhaney/Jones
ORG- Bond/Rookie
ORT- Saffold/Baker/Jones

tahoe

Pro Bowler
OLT- Robinson/Jones/Rookie
OLG- Washington/Rhaney/Rookie
OC- Barnes/Rhaney/Jones
ORG- Bond/Rookie
ORT- Saffold/Baker/Jones
ugh that line is just as bad or maybe worse than starting 3 rookies, Washington and Bond have been ps players and not even good enough to be on the roster...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ugh that line is just as bad or maybe worse than starting 3 rookies, Washington and Bond have been ps players and not even good enough to be on the roster...
But those players know our system, and have building strength since they've been here. We've jettisoned more than our share fair, of players, who we didn't think would develop. I think we have a couple serviceable backups, and at least one starter out of those remaining players. Jones is talented, Rhaney is a lot more talented than people know, and Washington looked like a completely different player than the previous season that we've saw him. I had a very high grade on him last year.

If we sign Barksdale, we have the makings of a decent offensive line. If not, high in the draft, we draft OT's A. Peat, we have a starting RT, and rotational OT all in one. If we go G, Collins, or Scherff woud give us all the versatility we would need. I the 2nd we draft A.J. Cann, or Jake Fisher, and do the same thing effectively, although, I think Fisher and Cann may both be risers in this draft. There are also 1st and 2nd round, good options at WR, and more good Guards, and Centers, in the 3rd round. I think we have to get our OT, in the 1st or 2nd though.

I think potential starting Guards could go 4 rounds deep.

Last edited: