Franklin: Aaron Donald has hurt college football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Aaron Donald is one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, but Penn State Football coach James Franklin had some biting criticism for his impact on college football.

As the Nittany Lions opened spring practice, Franklin addressed the media, discussing his program’s quarterback situation, setting the expectations for some key positions, and made some surprising comments in Donald’s direction.

“I’m a huge Aaron Donald fan,” Franklin told reporters. “Aaron Donald has hurt college football.”

Donald is likely earmarked as a future First Ballot Hall of Famer, but his impact on how young players view the defensive line position has changed, in Franklin’s opinion, significantly.

“Because every single one of these kids think they’re Aaron Donald,” Franklin revealed. “‘Well, I’m going to lose weight, and I’m going to be more athletic.’ Well, there’s been one Aaron Donald, in 50 years, at his size, to be as disruptive as he is, as quick, and explosive, the problem is, everyone thinks they’re the exception.”

Donald 6-foot-1 and 284 pounds, is certainly undersized as an interior lineman, but he has produced 103 career sacks, and was instrumental n the Los Angeles Rams’ win in Super Bowl LVI over the Cincinnati Bengals.

From what Franklin is saying is that a lot of defensive tackles in college football are trying to take a shortcut and using Aaron Donald as an example.

“There are a lot more 300-plus pound defensive tackles who have had great NFL and college careers,” Franklin pointed out. “Than there have been 275 or 280-pound defensive tackles.

“Don’t get me wrong, if Aaron Donald wants to come to Penn State Football, we want him. Our guys have to understand that’s the exception, not the norm. And we have to find the happy medium between the two.”

What a compliment!!!!

Audio

View: https://twitter.com/DaveMReports/status/1635686141054660610

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Speed, dedication and the ability to have a shared mental model with your players one just can not develop.

In my time, AD is the true GOAT all considered.

To be as dominate in his position in todays NFL is something I can not imagine this league will ever see again.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Aaron Donald is one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, but Penn State Football coach James Franklin had some biting criticism for his impact on college football.

As the Nittany Lions opened spring practice, Franklin addressed the media, discussing his program’s quarterback situation, setting the expectations for some key positions, and made some surprising comments in Donald’s direction.

“I’m a huge Aaron Donald fan,” Franklin told reporters. “Aaron Donald has hurt college football.”

Donald is likely earmarked as a future First Ballot Hall of Famer, but his impact on how young players view the defensive line position has changed, in Franklin’s opinion, significantly.

“Because every single one of these kids think they’re Aaron Donald,” Franklin revealed. “‘Well, I’m going to lose weight, and I’m going to be more athletic.’ Well, there’s been one Aaron Donald, in 50 years, at his size, to be as disruptive as he is, as quick, and explosive, the problem is, everyone thinks they’re the exception.”

Donald 6-foot-1 and 284 pounds, is certainly undersized as an interior lineman, but he has produced 103 career sacks, and was instrumental n the Los Angeles Rams’ win in Super Bowl LVI over the Cincinnati Bengals.

From what Franklin is saying is that a lot of defensive tackles in college football are trying to take a shortcut and using Aaron Donald as an example.

“There are a lot more 300-plus pound defensive tackles who have had great NFL and college careers,” Franklin pointed out. “Than there have been 275 or 280-pound defensive tackles.

“Don’t get me wrong, if Aaron Donald wants to come to Penn State Football, we want him. Our guys have to understand that’s the exception, not the norm. And we have to find the happy medium between the two.”

What a compliment!!!!

Audio

View: https://twitter.com/DaveMReports/status/1635686141054660610

Tell Franklin to shut the hell up :laugh1: Nothing wrong with kids trying to replicate the best to ever do it. Saying he ruined college football is just dumb to say.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speed, dedication and the ability to have a shared mental model with your players one just can not develop.

To be as dominate in his position in todays NFL is something I can not imagine this league will ever see again.
Well said. Isn't it amazing that (depending how old you may be) as a Ram fan, you enjoyed watching Deacon Jones and the Fearsome Foursome, Jack Youngblood, Hacksaw Reynolds.....names synonomous with intimidating defensive play........and this kid Aaron Donald comes along with a name that sounds almost peaceful but he's the nastiest, most intimidating of them all!!!! We have been fortunate, that's for sure.

Btw, that Kelce piece was good!

oldnotdead

Legend
I said it when he was a rookie. Michael Hoecht has the same kind of quickness and speed that AD has. The difference is AD has increased his strength off the chart, and refined his hand play to be superb. But to think Hoecht can't be an impactful 3T is a mistake IMO. Hand play and strength are things that can be improved upon. But Hoecht has the natural athleticism that is rare. He also has a no quit motor I just love. As he continues to develop Hoecht could be another monster on the DL. After AD leaves next year if they pair Hoecht and Gaines together inside the Rams will have a tremendous push inside on passing downs. That would flush the QB to either one edge or the other. Hoecht has the innate talent to become an impact player. For a DT to play edge and play it well is something few can do. The Rams need both Hoecht and Gaines after AD retires.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

And unlike brady, the league didn't change rules to help AD become the GOAT at his position. Brady would have been crippled and retired at age 33 if he had the same rules as Bradshaw and others in that era.

Turducken

Starter
The NFL should let AD compete in the combine next year (his 10 year anniversary) just for the hell of it. I bet he could beat all his old marks.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I said it when he was a rookie. Michael Hoecht has the same kind of quickness and speed that AD has. The difference is AD has increased his strength off the chart, and refined his hand play to be superb. But to think Hoecht can't be an impactful 3T is a mistake IMO. Hand play and strength are things that can be improved upon. But Hoecht has the natural athleticism that is rare. He also has a no quit motor I just love. As he continues to develop Hoecht could be another monster on the DL. After AD leaves next year if they pair Hoecht and Gaines together inside the Rams will have a tremendous push inside on passing downs. That would flush the QB to either one edge or the other. Hoecht has the innate talent to become an impact player. For a DT to play edge and play it well is something few can do. The Rams need both Hoecht and Gaines after AD retires.
Aaron Donald called. He asked you to let him announce his own retirement, whenever that might be.

Ram65

Legend
The are some smaller DT making names for themselves like Ed Oliver. Another one coming out of college. Calijah Kancey, undersized for his position group at 6-foot-1, 281 pounds, broke the 40-yard dash record among defensive tackles with a lightning-fast 4.67 seconds. D'Marco Farr was undersized and played well for the Rams. Players need to play to their strengths and physical traits. It's up to the coaches to help guide them to be the best they can be.

View: https://twitter.com/Pitt_FB/status/1631402059755823105/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1631402059755823105%7Ctwgr%5Ed5c1c6fd7ed64fdfbdbe47be1c187541fa2100b6%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fdraft%2Fnews%2Fnfl-combine-2023-pittsburghs-calijah-kancey-sets-40-yard-dash-record-for-dts-breaking-aaron-donalds-mark%2F

tempests

Hall of Fame
They said something similar about Barry Sanders back in the day. Having trouble getting their RBs to learn the fundamentals because they were all trying to run like him.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would you even say that ?
I live 30 minutes from Penn State University and Franklin isn’t real popular with the die hard fans.
He’s a good recruiter , but can’t win big games.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Donald is the best defensive lineman I have ever seen on the Rams Ranking them...
1. Aaron Donald
2. Jack Youngblood
3. Deacon Jones
4. Merlin Olsen

oldnotdead

Legend
Aaron Donald called. He asked you to let him announce his own retirement, whenever that might be.
He's been saying it for two years, that this would be his final year. Will he still be under contract? Yes he will but he deserves to retire when he wants to and he's already said publicly that this would be his last year. So unless the Rams weren't listening or believing him then they know as well.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Aaron Donald is the best defensive lineman I have ever seen on the Rams Ranking them...
1. Aaron Donald
2. Jack Youngblood
3. Deacon Jones
4. Merlin Olsen
And how would you like those four (in their prime) as your D line?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And how would you like those four (in their prime) as your D line?
qNzI2Er.gif

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
He's been saying it for two years, that this would be his final year. Will he still be under contract? Yes he will but he deserves to retire when he wants to and he's already said publicly that this would be his last year. So unless the Rams weren't listening or believing him then they know as well.
No, he’s never said that publicly.