Found this---"From the Insider"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
Not sure how much is real but I found it interesting

http://www.ramsrule.com/herd/read.php?5,472497,472497#msg-472497

Hey everyone,

As I think I mentioned previously, the top two players on their board, regardless of position, are Clowney and Mack. Clowney is rated higher, but there is an interesting debate going on, and that is based upon their 4-3 scheme and the personnel we have, who would see the field more? Take special teams out of the equation for now.

- The case for Clowney is that they rotate their DE's a fair amount already, and on clear passing downs they would put Quinn and Clowney at DE (although both currently play RDE) and have Hayes and Long inside (Long does this on certain sets now, he is a team guy, and he and Hayes are good against the run in case the opponent checks to a run). And although Hayes and Sims are good players, they are both at the end of their deals after this year (or cutt-able with minimal cap ramifications). So at the end of Clowney's first year, they would likely be gone, and Long will be 30/31 yrs old.

- The case for Mack is that on running downs he would play the SAM. Although they re-signed Dunbar for this role, its was not a huge dollar deal, and they have minimal depth at LB anyway, so the Rams don't look at this as an issue. On passing downs they could do the above and have Mack rushing from the DE instead of Clowney. In the future, there are those in the organization than think that Mack could be moved inside to the middle backer spot, particularly on passing downs, as he and Ogletree have the most speed/upside in coverage as opposed to Laurinaitis.

As always, I'm just passing along information as I get it, and I thought this debate was interesting. You could make the "playing time" case for either player, but it arguably slants towards Mack. As I've said, their first inclination is to trade down. But this is more complicated as it will be an "on the clock" decision based upon who goes number 1. So knowing that, you have to plan for the contingency of if you don't get an offer you like, or you don't want to trade down that far, etc. So the first thing they need to decide on is who they would take at #2 if they stood pat. If they stayed true to their board, its Clowney or Mack, hence the debate above. Or Fisher could overrule and go with the guy he wants to get one way or another, which is Matthews.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like Mack as a player I just don't think he's a good scheme fit

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just a thought....Say we draft Mack/Clowney. How much would it cost to move up to say 4/5 to draft Matthews??

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a thought....Say we draft Mack/Clowney. How much would it cost to move up to say 4/5 to draft Matthews??

From 13? I don't know the exact value but I would think at least a first rounder +

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Both Fisher & Williams have a history of using Nickle & Dime defenses regular and often. They prefer these DB heavy defenses. Fisher as a Ram HC in 2012 played more Nickle than base. One might argue that in 2013 he may have repeated that but the Nickle DB Finnegan & then McLeod was not up to the job. Fisher also likes using the four DE's in his Nickle & Dimes. Not sure what the new DC will do but Our DL is full of talent who can rush the QB not sure if OSLB'er Mack would fit in the Nickle & Dimes.

Even though some say he is good and other say that Mack's coverage skills is not on par with his others. That he lacks what you would want in range in coverages. Mack is NOT fluid in his drops. An where Alec Ogletree is a very good tackler in space Mack is noted for not being the most consistent tackler in space .

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I've been thinking the same thing.... move up from #13, but in my case I'm hoping it's to grab Watkins.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I'm really starting to think just grab Clowney, if he's not there then push for a trade down. I like Mack but I think Snead can make something happen with the #2 pick.

FRO

Legend
I would pick Clowney over Mack. He is bigger and more athletic. I hope he is the pick at 2.

tbux

Rookie
Trade down- take Watkins- use those picks to trade back up and take Matthews/Robinson- perfect start and possible!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I give Mack about 1% chance to be a Ram unless a trade down goes horribly wrong or he somehow falls and is available at 13, but doubtful even then.
BUT if the Rams do pick him he's not coming off the field very often. Sam and his hand in the dirt, Williams mans up and brings the pain. Mack would bring the pain.
Everyone is worried about his coverage skills. He's replacing Dunbar, how can he be worse? He's faster than Ogletree, not as fast as Clowney though which is scary in it's self. He's a scheme fit as in like Clowney the scheme will adapt to what he can do well. When you take a elite prospect it's not all about how he fits, some of it is what he can add to the scheme.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really like Mack as a player I just don't think he's a good scheme fit

The scheme the team ran last year or the scheme Gregg Williams was running in Washington?

If the later, I'd say he's a perfect fit in a Marcus Washington type role.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The scheme the team ran last year or the scheme Gregg Williams was running in Washington?

If the later, I'd say he's a perfect fit in a Marcus Washington type role.

I was referring to the scheme we ran last year. I think Williams will spice things up a bit but the overall integrity of the D will be similar IMO

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Lord, this draft cannot get here fast enough!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Both Fisher & Williams have a history of using Nickle & Dime defenses regular and often. They prefer these DB heavy defenses. Fisher as a Ram HC in 2012 played more Nickle than base. One might argue that in 2013 he may have repeated that but the Nickle DB Finnegan & then McLeod was not up to the job. Fisher also likes using the four DE's in his Nickle & Dimes. Not sure what the new DC will do but Our DL is full of talent who can rush the QB not sure if OSLB'er Mack would fit in the Nickle & Dimes.

Even though some say he is good and other say that Mack's coverage skills is not on par with his others. That he lacks what you would want in range in coverages. Mack is NOT fluid in his drops. An where Alec Ogletree is a very good tackler in space Mack is noted for not being the most consistent tackler in space .

It's a big reason I beleive we go secondary with our #13 pick, barring trade.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I want them both! And Matthews!

Take Clowney at 2. Trade up to 3. Take Mack. Trade up to 4. Take Jake Matthews. Have no more picks for the next two years. Lose every game because we dont have a secondary....

fearsomefour

Legend

5 DBS, Long, Brockers, Hayes, Quinn, Ogletree, Clowney....there is a scary nickel package.
Ogletree or Clowney could drop in coverage, play over the TE or blitz.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Not sure how much is real but I found it interesting

http://www.ramsrule.com/herd/read.php?5,472497,472497#msg-472497

Hey everyone,

As I think I mentioned previously, the top two players on their board, regardless of position, are Clowney and Mack. Clowney is rated higher, but there is an interesting debate going on, and that is based upon their 4-3 scheme and the personnel we have, who would see the field more? Take special teams out of the equation for now.

- The case for Clowney is that they rotate their DE's a fair amount already, and on clear passing downs they would put Quinn and Clowney at DE (although both currently play RDE) and have Hayes and Long inside (Long does this on certain sets now, he is a team guy, and he and Hayes are good against the run in case the opponent checks to a run). And although Hayes and Sims are good players, they are both at the end of their deals after this year (or cutt-able with minimal cap ramifications). So at the end of Clowney's first year, they would likely be gone, and Long will be 30/31 yrs old.

- The case for Mack is that on running downs he would play the SAM. Although they re-signed Dunbar for this role, its was not a huge dollar deal, and they have minimal depth at LB anyway, so the Rams don't look at this as an issue. On passing downs they could do the above and have Mack rushing from the DE instead of Clowney. In the future, there are those in the organization than think that Mack could be moved inside to the middle backer spot, particularly on passing downs, as he and Ogletree have the most speed/upside in coverage as opposed to Laurinaitis.

As always, I'm just passing along information as I get it, and I thought this debate was interesting. You could make the "playing time" case for either player, but it arguably slants towards Mack. As I've said, their first inclination is to trade down. But this is more complicated as it will be an "on the clock" decision based upon who goes number 1. So knowing that, you have to plan for the contingency of if you don't get an offer you like, or you don't want to trade down that far, etc. So the first thing they need to decide on is who they would take at #2 if they stood pat. If they stayed true to their board, its Clowney or Mack, hence the debate above. Or Fisher could overrule and go with the guy he wants to get one way or another, which is Matthews.

This is complete BS.

"on clear passing downs they would put Quinn and Clowney at DE"

That makes no sense. Clowney may end up being a far better run defender than pass rusher. He's excellent. He has speed and very good tackling techniques. He was very very good at run defense in college.

There is no way Mack is #2 on the board. With Watkins, Robinson, and Mathews? No way.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
This is complete BS.

"on clear passing downs they would put Quinn and Clowney at DE"

That makes no sense. Clowney may end up being a far better run defender than pass rusher. He's excellent. He has speed and very good tackling techniques. He was very very good at run defense in college.

There is no way Mack is #2 on the board. With Watkins, Robinson, and Mathews? No way.
I liked how he stated that it is public knowledge that Matthews is Fishers favorite and could overrule Snead for the pick, but this is info some random internet poster named db knows... right. o_O