Fmr Browns coach Rutigliano: "relaxing NFL rules on marijuana would be a 'catastrophe"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/06/former_cleveland_browns_coach_1.html

15142179-mmmain.jpg

BEREA, Ohio – There are some players and people around the game who believe the NFL needs to update and soften its drug policy involving marijuana.

They want to see thresholds for positive tests raised and suspensions reduced. The league reportedly is considering it as part of a broader, renegotiated plan.

Don't count former Browns coach Sam Rutigliano among those advocating change. He thinks liberalizing the league's stance on pot would not only be a mistake but a "catastrophe."

"For a lot of guys, marijuana is just the beginning," Rutigliano said. "A lot of times it can lead to cross-addictions and more serious things. I think it would be a catastrophe if we did that."

In 1981, Rutigliano and Cleveland Clinic doctor Gregory Collins developed the "Inner Circle," a confidential support group for Browns players battling substance abuse. The program's success spawned others like it around the league.

In recent years, however, the NFL has centralized the handling and discipline of drug issues. It offers peer-to-peer counseling through its Total Wellness initiative and designates "transition coaches," who act as liaisons between players and teams.

Collins wants to see the league return some autonomy to the individual clubs in dealing with players such as Browns receiver Josh Gordon, who reportedly is facing another drug suspension. Years ago, Browns players part of the Inner Circle, Collins said, were required to stay in the area year-round for counseling.

Under today's collective bargaining agreement, such a team mandate would unlikely be allowed.

"Some of the clubs . . . just want guys to play and win and not bother them about personal issues," said Collins, a Clinic staff psychologist and section head of the alcohol and drug recovery center.

"But these guys bring their personal issues to the club, and it plays out on the field and in the locker room . . . If clubs don't deal with their personal dimensions they are going to pay. That's our lesson."

Collins agrees with Rutigliano's assessment about the dangers of liberalizing NFL rules on marijuana. He makes three major points:

• Weed can be a "gateway drug" to stronger illegal substances.

• Rule changes regarding pot send a bad message to the public, especially kids.

• Marijuana slows reaction time and jeopardizes player safety.

"All and all, I'm in the camp that it's a terrible thing and we shouldn't go there," Collins said.

Rutigliano hates to see Gordon, who led the NFL in receiving yards last season, on the verge of a potential one-year ban. ESPN has reported it's due to a failed test for marijuana.

He knows some fans would like to see the Browns cut ties with Gordon, who served a two-game suspension last season. The old coach who helped counsel former players from addiction to sobriety isn't ready to take that step.

"I'd give him one more shot," Rutigliano said.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sam was a good one.

As far as softening the stance on a mostly illegal drug I cannot see where anything good comes from it at all. I don't see how anyone benefits really.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know. He seems to be implying that it would "lead" to other things. Here's a newsflash. It doesn't. And it's not like the league softening its stance on it would actually convince players who haven't tried it before, to try it. It'll be hard to have such a hard stance on it as more and more States begin to legalize it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know. He seems to be implying that it would "lead" to other things. Here's a newsflash. It doesn't. And it's not like the league softening its stance on it would actually convince players who haven't tried it before, to try it. It'll be hard to have such a hard stance on it as more and more States begin to legalize it.

There is evidence on both sides of the "gateway drug" discussion, enough on either side that there is enough of a risk that I would prefer it was discouraged among athletes during their career. Also the message to kids is a very valid point and is one I hadn't actually thought of.

I agree that it won't lead to increased usage since penalties would still be in place, and I also agree that as more states make it legal it'll be hard to drop the hammer on a guy who lives and plays in several places where it's no longer against the law.

It's a tough one, but it isn't going to change for 8 more years or so since the CBA is already in place. I suppose they could change the rule anyway but I hope it stays as is for now at least.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Marijuana leads to Doritos and Mtn Dew...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
New policy will change pot discipline

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-nfl-drug-policy-reduce-marijuana-punishments

It would be too late to help Josh Gordon, Will Hill or anyone else in danger of a lengthy suspension for violations of current rules. But when and if the NFL's new drug policy is finalized and announced, it will include changes specific to marijuana and other drugs of abuse.

A source told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the renegotiation of the drug policy, which has been going on since 2011 and includes testing for human growth hormone, also will significantly increase the threshold for a positive marijuana test and reduce the punishments for violations involving that drug.

The source said the NFL's policy on marijuana is outdated, pointing out that the World Anti-Doping Agency has a higher threshold for a positive test than the NFL currently does.

The NFL Players Association has expressed to the league an interest in studying the medical research that has led to the legalization of marijuana in many states for medicinal use, but it believes changes are needed in the meantime regardless.

What is holding up the implementation and announcement of changes to the league's drug policy is a continued standoff over arbitration of discipline. In cases of nonanalytical positives (i.e., an Alex Rodriguez-type case in which a player is found to be in violation of the drug policy by some method other than a failed test) or in cases of violations of law (i.e., a player getting caught trying to smuggle prescription drugs across the Canadian border), the NFLPA has asked that discipline appeals be heard by an independent arbitrator.

The NFL has continued to insist that the commissioner have final say over discipline matters.

It's the same hang-up that was addressed last week by union president Eric Winston, who said of commissioner Roger Goodell on the issue of HGH testing, "He wants to hold all the cards and he wants to be the judge, jury and executioner, and we're not going to go for an un-American system like that."

In response to the union's claims, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello emailed the following to ESPN last week: "It's kind of funny because since 2011 the union has come up with one excuse after another to avoid implementing an agreement to test for HGH. First, it was the testing method; then it was the population study; now it's commissioner authority. Our commitment to testing is clear. The same cannot be said of the union."

The dispute over arbitration, it turns out, is holding up more than just HGH testing. There are widespread changes to the NFL's drug policy that these two sides have negotiated and are waiting to implement once they can reach agreement on the administration of discipline.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The HGH thing is a big sticking point I know. But I wish they would install better testing and more draconian penalties.

tonyl711

Starter
alcohol is a gateway drug much more than pot is. causes more deaths than pot does, incites violence, pot doesn't. what medicinal value does alcohol have? pot has many medical uses. yet its OK to go to a bar and drink all night (probably driving home drunk), but somehow smoking a joint makes you a criminal???????? yeah OK

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Can't do this soon enough to suit me,the NSAIDS players take vs. players using pot for pain relief ,nuthin but upside IMO

laramsoriginal

Starter
I don't even smoke weed and I strongly believe Marry Jane should be legalized throughout the land and in the NFL.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If mary jane is a gateway drug then so is beer, liquor, cigarettes, sex with fat chicks and watching daytime television.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For a split second I had this horrible thought of what if this all becomes some crazy deal where players who play in a state where marijuana is legalized are allowed to test positive.... and then every pot smoking FA chooses to sign with either Seattle or Denver.... the leagues media darlings.... NOOO!!!!
Then I came to my senses. That scenario would never happen. I must be really, really high.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
alcohol is a gateway drug much more than pot is. causes more deaths than pot does, incites violence, pot doesn't. what medicinal value does alcohol have? pot has many medical uses. yet its OK to go to a bar and drink all night (probably driving home drunk), but somehow smoking a joint makes you a criminal???????? yeah OK

It's far from OK to do that and in many states, actually most, driving drunk has way harsher penalties.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
For a split second I had this horrible thought of what if this all becomes some crazy deal where players who play in a state where marijuana is legalized are allowed to test positive.... and then every pot smoking FA chooses to sign with either Seattle or Denver.... the leagues media darlings.... NOOO!!!!
Then I came to my senses. That scenario would never happen. I must be really, really high.

tonyl711

Starter
It's far from OK to do that and in many states, actually most, driving drunk has way harsher penalties.
far from OK to drink in a bar? unless you are from a dry county, it is not only considered OK but encouraged, the drinking and driving part is against the law, but not the drinking part. and as far as having much harsher penalties, count the number of deaths from drunk driving, then coun the number of deaths caused by smoking pot all combined not just driving, I think you will find examples of pot causing death very very very rare, alcohol not so rare.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
far from OK to drink in a bar? unless you are from a dry county, it is not only considered OK but encouraged, the drinking and driving part is against the law, but not the drinking part. and as far as having much harsher penalties, count the number of deaths from drunk driving, then coun the number of deaths caused by smoking pot all combined not just driving, I think you will find examples of pot causing death very very very rare, alcohol not so rare.

Which is why there are harsh penalties like I pointed out.