Flowers to visit the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't believe it. There are guys that you can plug and play. Not all can play both ends, and you don't have to get a guy in the 1st round if you want a ORT either.

It's the same thing every year. The top guys are sure can't miss options and the later guys will never work out if you believe the scouting reports. Just the way it works. But there are always guys who have the heart and desire to be great so IMO if the Rams get one of them, an anti-Jason Smith if you will at OT, they'll be good to go.

Also, when it comes to RT the guy doesn't need to have great feet and consistently perfect technique. RTs are those guys who aren't good enough for the left side, and it's usually because of their feet or their inability to handle speed rushers. Which is the problem with many of these guys not named Peat. Which means plenty of options for the Rams to fill that RT position.

IMO most of those guys we are arguing over will end up being able to play RT in the NFL under Coach Bou's teaching IF they are hungry to be great. And that's what the film doesn't show. Who's gonna be distracted by the big paycheck? Who's gonna not want to do the work required by a professional player to be a good player at that level? If Flowers and Clemmings come into this league hungry and work hard both of them are going to be just fine because they both have the talent to play on the right side in the NFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's the same thing every year. The top guys are sure can't miss options and the later guys will never work out if you believe the scouting reports. Just the way it works. But there are always guys who have the heart and desire to be great so IMO if the Rams get one of them, an anti-Jason Smith if you will at OT, they'll be good to go.

Also, when it comes to RT the guy doesn't need to have great feet and consistently perfect technique. RTs are those guys who aren't good enough for the left side, and it's usually because of their feet or their inability to handle speed rushers. Which is the problem with many of these guys not named Peat. Which means plenty of options for the Rams to fill that RT position.

IMO most of those guys we are arguing over will end up being able to play RT in the NFL under Coach Bou's teaching IF they are hungry to be great. And that's what the film doesn't show. Who's gonna be distracted by the big paycheck? Who's gonna not want to do the work required by a professional player to be a good player at that level? If Flowers and Clemmings come into this league hungry and work hard both of them are going to be just fine because they both have the talent to play on the right side in the NFL.

Yes desire is always tough to measure from where we sit.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes desire is always tough to measure from where we sit.
You are right, but when you watch film on each player, you can see who keeps playing while the play keeps going. You can see a guy miss a block, even, but not stop, and go block another threat. Guys that play hard, you can see it, at least.

Now, we don't usually have the privilege to be in meeting rooms, weight rooms, on practice fields, etc., so there is a lot of info we don't have that make our evaluations incomplete, as compared to teams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like a few OT's later...Donovan Smith is one...@Elmgrovegnome was the first to say how lazy this guy was at Penn St....But at the Senior Bowl practices, he was a man out there...I liked him the best

Actually Jrry brought it up here first. I am a PSU grad and follow them closely. I always heard people say that the coaching staffs were not happy with Smiths work ethic. I knew it was not good and most felt he never reached his full potential. But I didn't know just how poor his practice habits were. I know he always struggled with weight and not being as strong as expected.

But Jrry said that he read/heard that Smith was actually asked to leave for the draft by the current coaches because they didn't want his example affecting the younger players. I started to ask around with people I know that live in State College and one that lives here in Danville that is a booster and they all said they heard the same thing.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Actually Jrry brought it up here first. I am a PSU grad and follow them closely. I always heard people say that the coaching staffs were not happy with Smiths work ethic. I knew it was not good and most felt he never reached his full potential. But I didn't know just how poor his practice habits were. I know he always struggled with weight and not being as strong as expected.

But Jrry said that he read/heard that Smith was actually asked to leave for the draft by the current coaches because they didn't want his example affecting the younger players. I started to ask around with people I know that live in State College and one that lives here in Danville that is a booster and they all said they heard the same thing.
The Allen Iverson of football....I'll take him. Lol. He's a good example of a the type of player you'd want to visit pre-draft, because the young man had good tape, and he's really talented. Could be a maturity issue, at best. Hammer said he had a quirky personality. There are other guys like that that are successful, but there is also a reason that he's not a 1st round prospect. That kind of thing turns teams off, some before even seeing for themselves. On tape, he's very good, IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Glad I'm not the only one. Would feel bad if I repeated a rumor that was completely made up. It might not be true...but more people having heard about it at least doesn't make me feel guilty haha.

@Elmgrovegnome
Sounds like Seantrelle Henderson.....

Interesting that you bring up Seantrel. Are you high on him?(I'm remembering yes but can't say for sure) As I recall, he had one of the worst weeks at the Senior Bowl last year. Just saying...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Glad I'm not the only one. Would feel bad if I repeated a rumor that was completely made up. It might not be true...but more people having heard about it at least doesn't make me feel guilty haha.

Interesting that you bring up Seantrel. Are you high on him?(I'm remembering yes but can't say for sure) As I recall, he had one of the worst weeks at the Senior Bowl last year. Just saying...
I thought he'd be worth a late round pick. He was very intriguing to me. The college and Pro atmosphere is so different, and it's a job, you just don't know things that you don't know. I projected Carl Nicks as a high second round pick a few, more than a few now, I guess, years ago, but he went in the 5th??? If my memory serves. I wonder what his issues were?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I thought he'd be worth a late round pick. He was very intriguing to me. The college and Pro atmosphere is so different, and it's a job, you just don't know things that you don't know. I projected Carl Nicks as a high second round pick a few, more than a few now, I guess, years ago, but he went in the 5th??? If my memory serves. I wonder what his issues were?

He was big, supposedly lazy, needed to watch his weight and conditioning. Poor Combine showing. And he did go in the fifth. Saints got themselves a steal there. Naturally, he went into sloth mode when he joined the Bucs (although that staph outbreak didn't help matters).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He was big, supposedly lazy, needed to watch his weight and conditioning. Poor Combine showing. And he did go in the fifth. Saints got themselves a steal there. Naturally, he went into sloth mode when he joined the Bucs (although that staph outbreak didn't help matters).
He turned that around then, didn't he? An NFL success story!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I thought Nicks was worth a second. I did not expect him to hang around so long in the draft.

thehammer

Rookie
@Elmgrovegnome
Sounds like Seantrelle Henderson.....
nothing like Henderson....Henderson played like an underachiever...Donovan Smith plays like a late 1/early 2 ..serious upside

very simply put..Smith doesn't play lazy

as to Flowers.....not much difference between him and Daryl Williams IMO...why use a #1 on Flowers when Williams will be there in the 3rd/4th rd?

add been around coaches (and coached) my entire life..son played for a coach who won a national championship and my son was also all American in soccer and coached my share of odp players

best friend was a successful college basketball coach ...can tell you you many coaches hate the brainy cerebral types...just hate them. They can't coach unless they have the dumb "all in" players

love listening to Donovan Smith's interviews..like I said "quirky" Lot of coaches I've been around would hate them(and him).. lets just I comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt and will judge him only on his play

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Allen Iverson of football....I'll take him. Lol. He's a good example of a the type of player you'd want to visit pre-draft, because the young man had good tape, and he's really talented. Could be a maturity issue, at best. Hammer said he had a quirky personality. There are other guys like that that are successful, but there is also a reason that he's not a 1st round prospect. That kind of thing turns teams off, some before even seeing for themselves. On tape, he's very good, IMO.

Yeah he is kind of different. I don't know why you said he has good tape. Up to last season he was a little above average. Ladt year he was awful. The PSU line was atrocious. They had two third string DTs playing Guard. Now I would have loved Smith to step up into a leadership role, under that circumstance. Instead he dropped off with the rest of them and only responded in the two games that Deiffenbach returned. So Smith is a follower and not very self motivated.

I guess anyone can turn it around at any point. But I am not convinced that he will be more than average with potential to flop. I prefer Havenstein over Smith.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah he is kind of different. I don't know why you said he has good tape. Up to last season he was a little above average. Ladt year he was awful. The PSU line was atrocious. They had two third string DTs playing Guard. Now I would have loved Smith to step up into a leadership role, under that circumstance. Instead he dropped off with the rest of them and only responded in the two games that Deiffenbach returned. So Smith is a follower and not very self motivated.

I guess anyone can turn it around at any point. But I am not convinced that he will be more than average with potential to flop. I prefer Havenstein over Smith.
I like his tape. Maybe we see different things, but I like his tape. He's talented. I also agree with Hammer on Daryl Williams, I really like him as a ORT, and I think he can play Guard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He was a red flagged character guy too. Long enough ago that I don't remember.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He was a red flagged character guy too. Long enough ago that I don't remember.

You know, you're right about that. Starting to remember. And in 2008, character mattered a ton. It's what kept Adarius Bowman (the top wideout out of Okie State at the time), who would've been an easy second round pick, from getting any looks as even an undrafted free agent.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Flowers a lot...I also like Donovan Smith.Hope Snisher & coach Boo like them a bunch too.....Don't see as much movement with Williams...as I was looking at him earlier in the year..seemed like he just stood with his man...Seemed like both of the OU tackles, while huge, just didn't get the push I like to see from guys that big. Glad we all have different opinions, the world would be a crazy place if everybody thought alike...I always give a slight edge to the competition a player faced...That is, Ali Marpet really can't be evaluated on his season tape, all you can go on is his senior bowl & combine numbers...But he looks to be special...
Yeah, I was pretty high on Seantrelle...watching him fall to the 6th or 7th without grabbing him was insane...He always looked good to me...Same with Cordy Glenn...guess the Bills know what they're looking at...didn't know Henderson stunk up the senior bowl week...Big guy, that moves well...

thehammer

Rookie
as many of you have mentioned Mentioned Nicks is a perfect example...worth a early 2 but fell because of a bar fight before the draft....still remember watching that draft hoping the Rams would draft him as he fell rd after rd...