Flowers to visit the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Flowers more than any other tackle....all the other "ready" guys, Collins & Scherff are guards at this level.You don't take guards at 10..You get a weak RT, you're asking for problems...Matthews is garbage, so is Jockel...and Fisher too...We need a man child out there...I've seen him play...I also liked Seantrell Henderson a bunch too...Has potential and is only 20 years old..I hope we don't eff this up and try an get cute...I'll go listen to that hater Cosell now....
He makes Jason Smith look like he's the next coming of Orlando Pace.
I thought Smith was looking better till the head injuries...He was an ex-TE that obviously couldn't handle the physicality in the pros....one reason I avoid Baylor linemen as suggestions now...Almost like Stanford guys...Martin makes one scared of Peat....but I digress...Flowers can play...he played against some of the best DE/OLB's out there and looked good..He's twice the player of Barksdale, and definitely better than Scherff...Collins can play too...just would rather play him at left guard...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Flowers more than any other tackle....all the other "ready" guys, Collins & Scherff are guards at this level.You don't take guards at 10..You get a weak RT, you're asking for problems...Matthews is garbage, so is Jockel...and Fisher too...We need a man child out there...I've seen him play...I also liked Seantrell Henderson a bunch too...Has potential and is only 20 years old..I hope we don't eff this up and try an get cute...I'll go listen to that hater Cosell now....
I thought Smith was looking better till the head injuries...He was an ex-TE that obviously couldn't handle the physicality in the pros....one reason I avoid Baylor linemen as suggestions now...Almost like Stanford guys...Martin makes one scared of Peat....but I digress...Flowers can play...he played against some of the best DE/OLB's out there and looked good..He's twice the player of Barksdale, and definitely better than Scherff...Collins can play too...just would rather play him at left guard...

No, we need a competent player out there. Not a guy who is going to get whooped in pass protection because he has poor lower body coordination and absolutely no understanding of how to use his hands.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
No, we need a competent player out there. Not a guy who is going to get whooped in pass protection because he has poor lower body coordination and absolutely no understanding of how to use his hands.

I don't even know what I would call it. He like tries to bear hug the defender. At least that's what it looked like to me.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's a horrible thing when they need a right tackle who can play right now, when they have nothing except Saffold as an option there. I hate Flowers at right tackle with #10. I don't even like him much as a second round guard. He's just way, way too unrefined to play anywhere on the line at a decent level for the next two years and has enormous potential to bust.
I don't agree, and stick with my assessment, but I can agree that Peat is a better player right now, and if my hand was forced at #10 I'd take him, but there's better, probably, talent at #10 than him too, just not on the OL.

thehammer

Rookie
rather have Flowers over Clemmings....and I would would be disappointed if they selected Flowers at #10... guess the real question is how much better are Flowers and Clemmings over players like Daryl Williams and Havenstein who we could draft in the 3rd/4th rd? Marginally?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
For me I think it's the aggression that wins me over more than anything. He attacks on every play and looks for defenders thru the echo of the whistle.

I agree that there is some boom or bust there - but it seems like the biggest boom out there.

If White or Cooper are there - I expect one of them to be the pick. If they are gone and Scherff is there - I expect the Rams to take him. If all 3 are gone, Flowers is my guy at 10.

Stel

Starter
Flowers is one of my favorites in the draft. Just seems like an ideal bookend OT to go with Robinson. A road grader who needs work on pass blocking and technique. Used to see him as a second half of the first round type (think Cordy Glenn in that draft class) who might slip into the early second. No longer think that. Mid teens or earlier. Have actually seen him mocked in the top 10 (only takes one idiot, right?). In my ideal world, we make a trade with KC for their #18 and their second, then take Flowers at #18 and have two second round picks. Don't think that is likely any more. I'd probably put my list for the #10 pick at:

Cooper
White
Scherff
Waynes
Parker
Flowers

In that order. La'el Collins wouldn't upset me either.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good question. I wonder if the Rams have told him that they will resume talks after the draft - or maybe Barksdales camp wants to wait until after the draft. There sure doesn't seem to be a lot of urgency.
IF! Barksdale, or his agents, are thinking by waiting until after the draft will increase their chances of getting a bigger contract, they're sadly mistaken! If anything after the draft his value to the Rams will go down!JMO

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
IF! Barksdale, or his agents, are thinking by waiting until after the draft will increase their chances of getting a bigger contract, they're sadly mistaken! If anything after the draft his value to the Rams will go down!JMO

Maybe. He knows he is a starting caliber RT. Most teams know he is starting caliber. He is what he is. Right know, teams with holes have options. Fast forward a month, and teams who still have a RT hole may be a bit more desperate to fill it. He clearly overestimated his market, but I don't know that he loses much at this point by waiting until after the draft.

Of course, if the interest really is coming only from the Rams and Titans, and if both teams draft tackles - then he may be SOL.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm almost wondering if Barksdale wants to be a Ram and they have a contract already worked out but the RAMS are the ones who want to wait till after the draft because BPA may be an OT that they like more than Barksdale whether that be at 10 or with a trade down.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

I don't even know what I would call it. He like tries to bear hug the defender. At least that's what it looked like to me.
If anything I see a few holding calls....and while rough, it's much better than getting constantly blown back & run by. It's like no one remembers Pace and how raw he was...even Saffold wasn't a finished product. The guy has unteachable skills, athleticism, and POWER. If we wanna run the ball, when teams know it's coming (3rd and 2, 4th and inches, goal line situations) we need players like Flowers...Not Scherff..Pass blocking will come with work..Lets get Slater to come out and work with him...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Scherff is a beast run blocker...Not sure why you wouldn't want him.
He can't block in pass pro, and he misses way too many blocks, but especially blocks in space. I think those would be pretty good reasons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
None of us really know at what point they are hoping to acquire him, if at all. Third round? Sure. Tenth overall? No thank you. Second round? Probably. Late first? Maybe.

I think there are better options though. He may have the best physical package at ORT but does he have the head? Most likely that is what they are trying to figure out with the visit. Maybe they want to talk more football. I don't think they are allowed to work players out during the 30 visits. But they can certainly talk to them.

I like Flowers better than Clemmings. Clemmings redefines raw. He has way too far to go IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
but does he have the head? Most likely that is what they are trying to figure out with the visit.
Not sure if it means he's really stupid or if the CBA is so simple only a fool would hire an agent, but he is negotiating without one...His dad, a former NFL? player is helping him...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not sure if it means he's really stupid or if the CBA is so simple only a fool would hire an agent, but he is negotiating without one...His dad, a former NFL? player is helping him...
Here are some of the reasons why teams invite players to visit:

1. Injury history and criminal history are almost always going to warrant a visit, especially if the player has a high draftable grade on the team's board. While many teams stray from trouble high up in the first round, they wouldn't mind if a star player slips because of his misdeeds or serious injuries. A pre-draft visit is a great way to do some background work or to update their medical information just in case a player begins to slip.

2. Pre-draft visits can be used for information four years down the road (when that player hits free agency). If a team is picking toward the bottom of the first-round but covets a certain player who is expected to go well before their pick, they'll invite him in for a chat anyway. Perhaps there was a missed opportunity at the combine.

3. Teams often meet with players who have a reputation for a "unique" personality.

"For some coaches, that actually means spending time with the guy to figure out if they can even tolerate having that player in their building," one source said. This is also the kind of visit where a psychological test could be administered.

4. Another type of visit: When a team has a high draftable grade on a player who is not necessarily at a position of need, and isn't necessarily someone they would have went out of their way to visit at the combine. Remember, combine visits are hectic and timed stringently. Maybe something has happened to the roster (free agency, suspension, injury) since their last opportunity to talk.

5. If your team hasn't spoken with one of your favorite collegiate players, perhaps they've Skyped. According to a different source, a Skype session counts as a phone call and not against one of the top 30 visits. Therefore, a coach could screen a quarterback and do all the necessary board work over his computer screen.

6. Smokescreens remain prevalent. A coach or general manager simply wants another team behind him to think he's drafting a certain player. Simple as that.

7. One underrated reason for a visit: A team wants to glean information about another player they're taking lower in the draft from the same school. Maybe Marcus Mariota has something to offer about Chip Kelly's system in general, or he knows something about one of his wide receivers that could be useful later on in the draft for a mid-level prospect.

8. Many visits focus on fact checking: Asking about criminal background, personality or injury history information with another player they've had in for a visit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ght-reasons-why-predraft-visits-are-overrated

I'm sure there are a lot more reasons, but in my experience teams use their visits on players that they may want to take in the area of where they want to pick. For instance, a player such as XXXXX, might be rated in the #19 range, and you want to see what he's like. Previously, this wasn't a range that you were expecting to pick at. At this point an initial trade may already be done.

As a fan, you can sometimes glean what a team perceives as needs, if they have 3 LB's projected from 3 different rounds, or even in the same round, a good guess is that they are looking to stack their draft boards, and they have questions about certain players, and the order they put them.

Last edited: