Five offseason moves to improve the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ESPN- Barnwell :Wait On Goff

Los Angeles Rams
Bill Barnwell ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/25968738/how-patriots-rams-look-very-different-2019

1. Convince Andrew Whitworth to come back. The easiest way for the Rams to disappoint in 2019 is for their offensive line to take a step backward. We saw how Sean McVay's offense ground to a halt amid a poor performance from its line in Super Bowl LIII, and with no experienced replacement for Whitworth on the roster (and just one top-95 pick in the draft), the Rams desperately need their 37-year-old left tackle to put off retirement and return for another season.

What will it take to convince Whitworth to stay? As he enters the final year of his three-year contract, the Rams could give Whitworth a one-year extension with a raise in 2019 to start. Is he sick of the Los Angeles traffic? Owner Stan Kroenke has to have a spare helicopter laying around somewhere. Let Whitworth commute on the chopper. Get him a black card for Yoshinoya. Whatever it takes.

Rodger Saffold and C.J. Anderson. Might as well keep the left side of the line intact, and at 30, Saffold should still have several years left in the tank. There might still be a team out there that looks at him as a possible tackle candidate, but Saffold is probably looking at a deal in the $11-12 million annual salary range.

Anderson and Los Angeles seems like a good fit for all parties involved after the former Broncos back came off the street and excelled in December and January. The Rams shouldn't go over $3 million per season to retain him, but as an insurance policy against Todd Gurley II's knee -- which, he'll be happy to tell you, is fine and definitely not injured -- Anderson is a helpful backup.

2. Bring back Rodger Saffold and C.J. Anderson. Might as well keep the left side of the line intact, and at 30, Saffold should still have several years left in the tank. There might still be a team out there that looks at him as a possible tackle candidate, but Saffold is probably looking at a deal in the $11-12 million annual salary range.

Anderson and Los Angeles seems like a good fit for all parties involved after the former Broncos back came off the street and excelled in December and January. The Rams shouldn't go over $3 million per season to retain him, but as an insurance policy against Todd Gurley II's knee -- which, he'll be happy to tell you, is fine and definitely not injured -- Anderson is a helpful backup.

3. Trade down from the 31st pick. Teams will buzz the Rams on the end of Day 1 in the hopes of trading back into the first round, which has the advantage of providing teams with a fifth-year option. The Rams will want to make the pick, of course, but this is a team that has traded away most of its top picks to either draft Jared Goff or build around him.

It's more important that L.A. comes away with two or three solid contributors from this draft who can succeed for cheap over the next few seasons than go after one player with a slightly stronger chance of becoming a star, especially as the team continues to lock in the core of this squad. If the Rams can get a team picking in the top half of the round to send them second-round picks in 2019 and 2020, they should jump at the chance.

4. Sign Clay Matthews and wait out the market on veterans. Matthews is almost too obvious of a fit.
The Rams are thin on the edge and probably won't be able to afford to bring back Dante Fowler Jr.
Matthews grew up in Southern California and walked on at USC, playing for the Trojans in the same stadium that is now the Rams' home. Matthews' numbers are down in recent years, but joining the Rams would allow him to play as a full-time edge rusher. The inside linebacker work Matthews did in Green Bay also should depress his price to the point where the Rams can afford to bring in Matthews on a one-year deal.

Every veteran player who wants a meaningful shot at winning a Super Bowl is going to tell his agent he wants to play for the Rams this offseason. The Rams will likely sit out most of free agency to avoid impacting their standing in the compensatory pick formula, but they'll target players who are cut by their current teams, since those players won't count against the compensatory formula.

Who could fit into that plan? At wide receiver, the Rams could stash a wideout like Emmanuel Sanders on the physically unable to perform list to have depth in case of, say, another Cooper Kupp injury. If the Vikings cut Everson Griffen, another former USC product, the Rams would loom as an obvious destination. Justin Houston also would make sense. There will be surprise cuts, as there are every year, and the Rams will presumably have first dibs on any of those. They should have enough clout to encourage some veterans to hold off on signing until after July 1, when the moves won't touch the compensatory formula.

5. Don't extend Jared Goff this offseason. Teams have the option of extending their first-round picks with long-term deals after the end of their third seasons in the league. In most cases, they wait a year and reap the benefits of a fourth season priced in at well below market value. The exceptions are generally for transcendent superstars such as J.J. Watt and Patrick Peterson.

The Rams are the exception to the exception: They've done several fourth-year extensions under GM Les Snead, including deals for Tavon Austin, Robert Quinn and, most recently, Gurley. You can see how those moves went. Austin was a disastrous contract from the jump. Quinn fell off dramatically after posting 19 sacks in Year 3, although he looked like an absolute star. Gurley was an MVP candidate for half of 2018, but he was struggling by the end of the season with a mysterious knee injury, and the Rams didn't skip a beat when they replaced Gurley with Anderson.

the Gurley deal, but as we get to Goff's future, look no further than the Super Bowl. The Patriots flummoxed Goff in a way that might end up being telling. He made a few excellent anticipatory throws, but he spent most of the game out of rhythm waiting for somebody to get open.

Earlier this year, I brought up the idea of a team constantly remaining on the rookie quarterback cycle by drafting a quarterback, developing him into a star, and then trading him at the end of his rookie deal for a high draft pick to repeat the process. The right team would have a brilliant offensive mind for a head coach and oodles of offensive talent, players the team otherwise would have to let go to pay their quarterback a premium.

The Rams are the most obvious example for this concept, although it's clear they believe Goff is a bona fide franchise quarterback. I don't think the Rams will hop back on the rookie passer cycle. I don't think they should trade Goff at the end of his rookie deal, either. I don't know whether any team will ever have the guts to do it, because getting that rookie quarterback evaluation wrong as a GM means you're getting fired and becoming the butt of jokes for a decade. It's too much pressure.

At the same time, I don't think Goff is such an obvious perennial Offensive Player of the Year candidate that the Rams need to start extending him immediately. It has to at least be a little concerning that Goff's numbers fell off once Kupp was injured, especially because Kupp is the exact sort of luxury the Rams would struggle to keep around at the going rate for wide receivers once they give Goff a raise.

There's no rush here. Get another year of information, and if Goff is the player the Rams think he is, they'll still have tons of leverage to extend him after Year 4. The Rams can use their cap space now to add veteran talent or roll it over to have extra money when Goff does get expensive. And if Goff does take a step backward in 2019, well, it could save the Rams from a Derek Carr-esque conundrum.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good article except for items 3 & 4 IMO.

Re: trade down... While we can certainly use more picks the key is getting an impact defender out of this draft and hopefully he's an edge rusher. If not then a nose or ILB to boost the front seven is in order and quality should be there. If they lose out on the edge options and there isn't an impact player at our other positions of need (ILB, NT, Safety) then move down, sure. But I'd rather have one impact player for the defense than 2 mediocre starters. Of course I trust Les' approach here too btw.

Re: veteran edge rusher... We don't need to add overpaid vets to this unit especially on the edge. I don't even want Fowler to return unless he's cheap (he does have upside), which is unlikely. Go get a special kid who can turn the corner and drop in coverage. That's what I prefer, even if you gotta trade a piece for a move-up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No thank you to Clay Matthews! I’m ok with the trade down if it’s not too far and the value is there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Re: veteran edge rusher... We don't need to add overpaid vets to this unit especially on the edge. I don't even want Fowler to return unless he's cheap (he does have upside), which is unlikely. Go get a special kid who can turn the corner and drop in coverage. That's what I prefer, even if you gotta trade a piece for a move-up.

I would believe that Snead will find another Edge Rusher in this up coming 2019 Draft draft capable of competing with this below listed probable 2019 ER's unit. I not overly worried here about signing & overpaying long term $$$$ to secure an veteran edge rusher.

If we has to go this route my favorite UFA is former USC 34 D Edge Rusher but has been starting & playing in the Vikings 43 D as the strong side LB'er Not his best post to play IMO ....Anthony Barr who is only 26 yrs old.

Rams do have 1 three yr ER in Samsom Ebukam & three OSLB'er/ER's entering their 2nd season. In addition 2 other Rams (who are very easy resigns) thus given the Rams SIX ER/OLB's going into Aprils draft.

Rams SIX ER/OLB'ers
Samson Ebukan 6-3/245-24/3
Og Okoronkwo 6-2/253-23/2
Trevon Young 6-4/260-23/2
Justin Lawler 6-4/265-24/2
Garrett Sickels 6-4/254-24/1 (ERFA)
Morgan Fox 6-3/275-24/3 (ERFA)

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
He must have forgotten about Noteboom. While he doesnt have experience he is Whits replacement. So we dont need Whit to have a starting role for the entire season.

I also say pass on Matthews. I hope Fowler takes a cut, but if not we have Obo, Fox and JFM to take rotarional snaps.

Goff needs to stay. Drafting a qb every 4-5 years is a pipedream. Especially if youre a winning team and dont even sniff the first few selections year after year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we has to go this route my favorite UFA is former USC 34 D Edge Rusher but has been starting & playing in the Vikings 43 D as the strong side LB'er Not his best post to play IMO ....Anthony Barr who is only 26 yrs old.

I have always liked Barr. But that said I hope we draft a special edge rusher, fixing that would benefit this defense immensely. With a guy like Barr you're going to be paying for that upside just like we would with Fowler, which as a pass rusher is going to be a premium with so many teams coveting them.

If I were in Les' shoes I'd go after ILB and Safety in FA. Then move up if necessary to get the edge rusher I need to complete this defense. And snap up a couple big bodies for the DL who can project to play nose for us midrounds.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
If Fowler goes elsewhere, I don't think Hair boy would be a bad backup plan. And working w/ Donald in the middle would give an edge to Mathews prolonging his career as a California boy come home.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Re: trade down... While we can certainly use more picks the key is getting an impact defender out of this draft and hopefully he's an edge rusher. If not then a nose or ILB to boost the front seven is in order and quality should be there. If they lose out on the edge options and there isn't an impact player at our other positions of need (ILB, NT, Safety) then move down, sure. But I'd rather have one impact player for the defense than 2 mediocre starters. Of course I trust Les' approach here too btw.

Agreed.
On the draft, again it's not like we don't have any picks and need to manufacture more picks. Get immediate help and talent at #31 and then grab depth in the 3rd round with multiple picks there. Or use those(3rds) to move up into the 2nd if you see a blue chip talent drop.

We also don't need CJ Anderson IMO. It would be nice but Brown can play and we need to see if Kelly has something(i think he does). If your offensive line is good like ours you should never overpay for backup middle of the road RB's. No one should overpay backups RB's ever but certainly not the Rams.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Barnwell is a known Ram hater, so I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

While I would like to see Whit return, the fact that Noteboom was taking starters reps in practice all season long - and he'll have a full year of experience under his belt - means that the dropoff might not be as bad.

The only no-brainer agreement I have with him on his list is re-signing Saffold.

The only reason I agree with him on Goff is for salary cap flexibility, but Barnwell's reasoning seems to be that Goff is a huge question mark, which quite frankly, is ridiculous. He's been one of the best QB's in the NFL over the last two years, and the fact that the Patriots confused him in the Super Bowl is hardly a knock against him. He became the youngest QB to ever win an NFCC this year, and did it in extremely hostile conditions, including making two huge throws in the last drive with guys right in his face.

He bashes Goff for his numbers falling off when Kupp went out too. What would happen to Brady if Edelman went out with injury? Would his numbers stay where they are? Doubtful, but in that case a turd like Barnwell would be making excuses for him, which is absolutely backwards given where Goff and Brady are in their respective careers. How well as Aaron Rodgers done without Jordy Nelson - is he doing as well as he did with Jordy?

And his remark that we barely missed a beat when CJ took over for Gurley was ridiculous (no respect for CJ intended). While we pounded the ball very well with CJ in Todd's absence, there is no way that at his best he offers anything close to Gurley's versatility, particularly as a receiver. That kind of analysis is the kind that people do after their 4th hit off the meth pipe.

In short, Barnwell can (in terms less polite than mine presented here) go have sex with himself. His analysis of the Rams almost always sucks because he is utterly incapable of doing so without his bias infecting it. Even when he gets something right (like re-signing Saffold), it's not much more than a stopped clock being right twice a day.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I find signing or keeping current players not exactly improving the team. Probably shouldn’t have used those ideas in this piece. They are more preventing another hole (neutral).

Mathews is interesting. I have to think on that.

Trade down.... I’ll be shocked if we don’t.

Extending Goff... I’d explore it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Remember flv my suggested "kick in" to go with the non-exclusive franchise tag of Saffold would take place only IF Andrew Whitworth advises the Rams of his retirement over this next month;).

The retirement of AW would net the Rams a guesstimated EXTRA $11.5 million back into the Salary Cap bank. Who here would think a loss of both our veteran LT & LG is a good thing for Goff. Rams can withstand the loss of one of then but both would really shake this offensive line unit up in a bad way. The depth OL condition would move into critical. That's not even taking in the unknown with the situation with starting veteran center John Sullivan.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
If the Vikings cut Everson Griffen, another former USC product, the Rams would loom as an obvious destination. Justin Houston also would make sense. There will be surprise cuts, as there are every year, and the Rams will presumably have first dibs on any of those. They should have enough clout to encourage some veterans to hold off on signing until after July 1, when the moves won't touch the compensatory formula.

If Griffen checks out medically he could be a good rotation fit rushing the passer. Houston could still have some juice left too. Mathews maybe a year left just not the same player he was.

Trading down if they can still get there player.

Still think they have a good shot at both Saffold and Fowler. Fowler covers as well as rushes with his good speed. The numbers on Saffold differ around here. I think 9 or so Million can get it done.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thanks flv always like your assistance in the $ stuff. (y)I believe that an outside CB is our #1 priority @ this time too. But I am not high on this 2019 corner prospect myself.

Can you help me out on some questions on your above post comments?

#1- Why does the tagging of Saffold doesn't work timing wise?
My understanding is February 19, 2019, Is the 1st day for the Rams to designate Franchise Player. The time period ends on March 5, 2019, prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline time for the Rams to designate a Franchise player. If Whitworth advises the Rams lets say on March 1st, 2019 then there is plenty of time to tag Saffold.

#2-Why does it ONLY makes conceptual sense if it were probable for Saffold to be our starting LT?
Rams have no desire for Saffold to play LT when they have a Joe Noteboom groomed in place. Saffold will be needed to play & start @ LG with first-year starter Noteboom @ LT If Whitworth were to retire. I am not looking at the cap as a one year fix. I not really looking at the cap in this matter at all. My main thought here is hoping that the Rams are not forced to replace both Saffold & Whitworth this season. Rams can't push for Whitworth to stay when he wants to retire that's not a proper way to do business for a player like Andrew Whitworth.

#3- What gives you the belief that the Rams Org will NOT be in the same 2018 "Going All In" for 2019?
I see no evidence of this being the case, do you? I see the same Rams goals no changes if anything I sense an uptick in "Going All In" without mortgaging our future cap or future draft assets.
#4- With the Rams processing the "non-exclusive franchised tag" on Saffold they can match any offer sheet that Saffold gets from other teams, and if the Rams decline to match, then Saffold new team has to send two first-round picks as compensation to Snead. I see this as a big help to Snead & Demoff where it would allow them to hold on to their best remaining OL'er. It's would also give Demoff and Saffold longer time window of a few months to work out we all want here, which is a long-term deal. So what's wrong with what I have said in # 4?

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I hardly doubt Goff will be sitting at all. Not this season.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Why would a QB be so important to draft. QB, OL and WR? I think we have bigger needs but FA will have a lot of Impact as well.