Fisher has extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again, I believe next season he'll actually bring in an Offensive Coordinator and give that person total autonomy on offense and like I posted in other threads I would hope for Mike Shanahan, but I believe it will be Norv Turner, so I'm very numb right now and I never drink before 4pm, but today I might start early.

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man
'We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave!

Last edited:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ian Rappaport said he has signed two year deal.

IMG_0966.GIF

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/04/rams-jeff-fisher-ink-contract-extension/

Rams, Jeff Fisher ink contract extension
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 4, 2016

626149436-e1480288521812.jpg
Getty Images

Apparently a 4-7 record is enough to earn a contract extension in Los Angeles.

Jeff Fisher and the Rams have signed a two-year deal through 2018, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Although a contract extension for Fisher has long been discussed, there was talk that the disappointing season this year could change those plans, and that Stan Kroenke could be in the market for a new coach to build his team going forward.

Instead, Kroenke has decided to keep things going with Fisher. The coach’s single biggest task will be developing first overall pick Jared Goff into a franchise quarterback, but the broader question is the simplest one of all: When will the Rams win under Fisher?

Through five seasons with the team, Fisher has gone 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10, 7-9 and now 4-7. At some point, he’s going to have to do better than that if he wants to keep his job. But that point will apparently not be this year. Fisher will be back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...gests-2017-will-be-up-or-out-for-jeff-fisher/

Two-year extension suggests 2017 will be up-or-out for Jeff Fisher
Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2016

When it comes to contracts given to NFL players and coaches, the devil takes up permanent residence in the details. As to players, those details always become known. As to coaches, the nuances rarely make their way to the surface.

As to Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who officially has received a two-year extension, the biggest detail relates to the actual security Fisher has received. If, as some league insiders believe, the contract includes a one-year out for the team, Fisher has security only for 2017.

The winds had been blowing in the direction of Fisher staying put. Comments from COO Kevin Demoff strongly suggested that the team’s 4-7 record wouldn’t be held against Fisher, given the changes the team has endured in 2016.

Even without a one-year out clause in the new contract, 2017 now feels like an up-or-out year for Fisher. In 2012, Fisher received a five-year deal, and the exclamation point of commitment that went along with it. With only a two-year Band-Aid currently in place beyond 2016, the not-so-subtle message is that, while Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson isn’t getting what he wants for now, the change he craves could be coming in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/04/jeff-fisher-extension-was-signed-weeks-ago/

Jeff Fisher extension was signed “weeks ago”
Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2016

For most of the season, league insiders have insisted that the Rams and coach Jeff Fisher already have a new deal in place. In the aftermath of the news that Fisher has a two-year extension, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the deal indeed has been in place for “weeks.”

Which raises an interesting question about the contract: Why was the news of it leaked today?

It could be that the Rams and Fisher became increasingly antsy about the fan base’s willingness to accept a continuation of Fisher’s tenure with the team, given an all-out assault from Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson that has culminated in Dickerson recently playing the “where are the naked pictures?” card.

Then there’s the fact that the news was leaked only a few hours before the Rams face the Patriots, a franchise that has beaten Jeff Fisher-coached teams by the combined score of 104-7 in their past two encounters. Squatting on the secretly-signed contract until after the Patriots hang another 40 or 50 on the Rams would have made it a lot harder to justify the move.

And so while the Rams apparently were waiting for the right moment to announce the deal with Fisher, it could be that they decided there would be no right moment, and that the contract needed to be unveiled before the wrong moment became a worst-case scenario.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
The next OC working under Fisher to get a HC job will be the first.

I generally agree. Fisher would have to agree to giving up full control of the offense to attract anyone worth hiring. Don't know if he would be willing to do that or if the offensive talent on board is enough to attract anyone worthwhile.

Wishful thinking more than anything else. :cry:

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Again, I believe next season he'll actually bring in an Offensive Coordinator and give that person total autonomy on offense and like I posted in other threads I would hope for Mike Shanahan, but I believe it will be Norv Turner, so I very numb right now and I never drink before 4pm, but today I might start early.

The Norv Turner situation might be the only way to salvage this. Shanahan will have his eye on a HC job. He'll either get it this year or stay where he's at to further beef up his resume. Turner has a lot of years and a lot of clout. If he was truly handed the reins, given control of the offense, and put in change of Goff's development the team has a chance. It's what Fisher should have done 3 years ago.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm glad his job is in danger if we shit the bed the rest of the way out. As I said in my post earlier, I think he deserves a shot if we play good football with Goff here in our, and based on what Schefter has said, apparently Stan feels the same way.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, I'm not happy where the team is at...but at least we can start talking about making the team better around him.

Not sure if 2yrs is enough to lure a top offensive mind.
If Fisher doesn't Hire one right-away, we're screwed! And, by the way, A New two Year Contract doesn't mean YOU CAN"T BE FIRED!!
I'm just amazed by the decision!! WOW!!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Maybe they have a bunch of left over Fisher staches that they're hoping to get rid of next year?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams have the audacity to release this information after the week fisher had. Infuriating. Almost makes me want to root for the patriots
Actually it was probably a smart move, with 5 games to go, you don't want other coach's and players to start worrying about there Jobs, If Fisher gets fired at this point in time. You want them to "Do your Job!"

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Commitment to mediocrity. Utterly typical of Kroenke led sports team.

The fans and the top of this organisation DO NOT have the same vision for this team. Clearly.

This team will ammount to nothing under Fisher.

We desperately need a change of culture and mindeset. This losing '7-9' mentality has permeated every facet of this organization. I pray that someone comes in and kicks this whole team up the arse and no longer stands for anything other than excellence.

There is a reason, that historically, winners win and losers lose.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's what Fisher should have done 3 years ago.

Five years ago...Had the chance to hire Hue Jackson, but went with Brian Schottenheimer instead, everyone knew that was a mistake!

tempests

Hall of Fame
I generally agree. Fisher would have to agree to giving up full control of the offense to attract anyone worth hiring. Don't know if he would be willing to do that or if the offensive talent on board is enough to attract anyone worthwhile.

Wishful thinking more than anything else. :cry:

Working with Jared Goff would be the only attraction I can think of. But then again, not even being Steve McNair's OC during his MVP season got Mike Heimerdinger a HC job. He just bounced around the league and ended up under Fisher again.

Not much impetus for Fisher to make major changes, I'm afraid. He'll just point to his almost unrivaled job security and brief run of successes in Nashville as proof that he knows what he's doing.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Actually it was probably a smart move, with 5 games to go, you don't want other coach's and players to start worrying about there Jobs, If Fisher gets fired at this point in time. You want them to "Do your Job!"

I disagree, I could never call extending Fisher a smart move under any circumstance. The players under contract have nothing to worry about unless they aren't performing in that case their security should come in question anyway. The players still have to play well because there is money on the line, especially if you are an impending FA like Tru or Kenny and playing for big pay day. Coaches are also playing for future jobs. They have not performed for 5 years they all should be on notice. I don't care if they are worried, if they want to be feel comfortable they should perform.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
I wonder if this extension happened before the six game losing streak. If so, I think there could possibly be a chance he could still be let go. At least I hope! Because if he is back, I will be doing other things on Sundays next year.