FA and Cap Outlook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting that Jourdan Rodrigue did not mention Coleman Shelton.

I believe Shelton is also a Restricted Free Agent; and some think he starts if Brian Allen signs elsewhere.
Do you think Corbett isn't going to start at center? And if so who does?

For myself it makes sense when you see a guy play better in some ways than the starter in spot duty. Allen to Shelton has no appreciable dropoff that I can see.

Now maybe they try to upgrade there but not sure chasing a FA is worthwhile. The kid from Tampa is better but is he $15M better?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think today we hear some Rams news. Just a gut feeling.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Do you think Corbett isn't going to start at center? And if so who does?
Not understanding your point Merlin.

Allen and Corbett are unrestricted free agents; and the Rams could lose one or both.

Shelton is a restricted free agent that the Rams could hold on to with a tender offer. He could be a potential starter at Center ( possibly Guard), and insurance if Allen and/or Corbett leave.

I was just commenting that I thought it was odd Jourdan Rodrigue specifically mentioned RFAs Howard and Gay but did not mention Shelton.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not understanding your point Merlin.

Allen and Corbett are unrestricted free agents; and the Rams could lose one or both.

Shelton is a restricted free agent that the Rams could hold on to with a tender offer. He could be a potential starter at Center ( possibly Guard), and insurance if Allen and/or Corbett leave.

I was just commenting that I thought it was odd Jourdan Rodrigue specifically mentioned RFAs Howard and Gay but did not mention Shelton.
You made the comment "and some think he starts if Brian Allen signs elsewhere" as if it was a ridiculous thought. So I am wondering what you think the solution is if it's not Shelton at center.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You made the comment "and some think he starts if Brian Allen signs elsewhere" as if it was a ridiculous thought. So I am wondering what you think the solution is if it's not Shelton at center.

The solution might be to just re-sign the 26 year old Allen, save Shelton as our #2 Center who might also compete for a bigger role as a LG eventually. Corbett is likely more expensive than Allen to retain, so if one has to go, it's easier to replace an OG than a Center imo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You made the comment "and some think he starts if Brian Allen signs elsewhere" as if it was a ridiculous thought.
No. Not at all. How dare you!!!

Coleman Shelton IS an option if Allen signs elsewhere. THAT is why it seemed odd to me that Jourdan Rodrigue did not mention Shelton when referring to RFAs she expected the Rams to tender.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The solution might be to just re-sign the 26 year old Allen, save Shelton as our #2 Center who might also compete for a bigger role as a LG eventually. Corbett is likely more expensive than Allen to retain, so if one has to go, it's easier to replace an OG than a Center imo.
Which brings us back to the original issue of Allen being undersized and a signing that would end up being cut in a year or two if we do sign him. He's a marginal starter. So I just can't get onboard with signing him given that we're a SB winner and teams will pay a bit more for our guys.

Corbett is the guy you would normally want to keep of our 3 FAs. He's been consistent, finishes plays, and isn't overrun by power like Allen is. But he's also going to cost a ton and it won't make sense to have our two paid guys on the same side of the OL.

If they bring someone else in I prefer it be on the left side or center. That spreads the vet presence and quality a bit so you can plug the next man up types around them.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which brings us back to the original issue of Allen being undersized and a signing that would end up being cut in a year or two if we do sign him. He's a marginal starter. So I just can't get onboard with signing him given that we're a SB winner and teams will pay a bit more for our guys.

Corbett is the guy you would normally want to keep of our 3 FAs. He's been consistent, finishes plays, and isn't overrun by power like Allen is. But he's also going to cost a ton and it won't make sense to have our two paid guys on the same side of the OL.

If they bring someone else in I prefer it be on the left side or center. That spreads the vet presence and quality a bit so you can plug the next man up types around them.

I don't see size any more of a problem for Allen as I do for Shelton, it didn't keep him from being named as a pro-bowl alternative Center either. Allen at 6'2" 303lbs., Shelton at 6'4" 299lbs. & Corbett at 6'4" 306lbs. might all benefit by more strength training though, but if anyone could use some extra bulk, I'd prefer a bigger, stronger RG who can open some gaps for our RB's. Allen at 6'2" keeps DLmen from being better able to get under his pads, and while his absences from injury likely keeps his next contract somewhat lower than Corbett, I like his chances at sticking long term. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Landon Collins cut

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...des-release-safety-landon-collins-source-says

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
She's the absolute best follow on twitter for Rams stuff and just life stuff. It seems the people pushing for the Rams to draft a fullback are already hitting up mamma Snead on twitter :D

To be fair, Clint Ratkovich looks absolutely amazing as a fullback/HB/tight end/power-running back option. He's probably the closest thing to Juszczyk since Juszczyk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, Clint Ratkovich looks absolutely amazing as a fullback/HB/tight end/power-running back option. He's probably the closest thing to Juszczyk since Juszczyk.
Mamma Snead says F YOU telling her what Les needs to draft :D

Memento

Name
Jemma
Mamma Snead says F YOU telling her what Les needs to draft :D

Hey, I'm not telling him who to draft! I'm just saying that Ratkovich looks like a good option, especially with a seventh round pick. Thank @jrry32 for the idea; he's the one who put me on Ratkovich in the first place.

I will tell Mamma Snead to tell her hubby this: get. Tyler. Badie. At any cost.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, I'm not telling him who to draft! I'm just saying that Ratkovich looks like a good option, especially with a seventh round pick. Thank @jrry32 for the idea; he's the one who put me on Ratkovich in the first place.

I will tell Mamma Snead to tell her hubby this: get. Tyler. Badie. At any cost.
There's been a fullback every year in the draft and free agency that people here thought we couldn't live without. How many has McVay added to the roster since coming here? I know though this year is different!

Memento

Name
Jemma
There's been a fullback every year in the draft and free agency that people here thought we couldn't live without. How many has McVay added to the roster since coming here? I know though this year is different!

True, true. But I still want Badie. He absolutely reminds me of Jamaal Charles, and I am not saying this because Badie's from Mizzou.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, true. But I still want Badie. He absolutely reminds me of Jamaal Charles, and I am not saying this because Badie's from Mizzou.
You just keep on wishing for a FB. I'll keep on wishing our first pick is a CB. Who knows one of us will be right eventually maybe? And I'm not criticizing any of the FB's mocked to us for whatever off season they may all be great players. But McVay, Shanny, LaFleur etc run variants of the same offense. There's one flex position in each of their offenses and for Shanny that's a FB or 2nd TE. For McVay that's a 3rd WR it's just what his offense is and his variant of the Mike Shanahan offense. For whatever reason he prefers the offense run that way and it doesn't call for a FB everything we've seen from him from day 1 is the antithesis of a FB oriented run game. He may change it may be this year but there is absolutely nothing in what McVay has said and done since taking over the Rams should lead people to think he wants a FB.