Excellent Article on the Rams' Culture

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I have no issue with that. I actually starting reading it and...um... well, it's not what I'm used to on the NFL Talk forum is all.

Didn't occur to me that it was meant to mean a wall of text. Makes sense, but wow.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Maybe I'm just naive, but I think every coach wants to make a team in their vision.

I mean, Four Pillars or We not Me, it's all the same sort of thing.

My second sentence was for the TL;DR folks. :)

Well, there is a difference between "this is my vision" and then getting guys who fit that vision and/or buy into that vision... and "this is our vision" which comes from a set of principles, but empowers contribution to that vision and enlists others to own it.

It's a leadership thing. Along the lines of "these are my orders, follow them to victory!" and "let's work toward victory together"

Some don't respond any differently to those leadership alternatives. However, the cultures that germinate around them are vastly different.

I've found that long term success generally reflects the later option.

The other way can work (see the Patriot Way), but it's extraordinarily difficult to replicate as almost every other team around the country that's tried has found out, including us.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

- Mike Tyson

Loved that Tyson.

And after the Biggs fight when he let him off the hook over and over when he could have finished him and was asked about it in the post fight interview and he said "I didn't like the things he said about me before the fight so I wanted to make him pay for it with his health. I wanted to beat him so bad his momma wouldn't recognize him."

Ferocious.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loved that Tyson.

And after the Biggs fight when he let him off the hook over and over when he could have finished him and was asked about it in the post fight interview and he said "I didn't like the things he said about me before the fight so I wanted to make him pay for it with his health. I wanted to beat him so bad his momma wouldn't recognize him."

Ferocious.

he could destroy any man but that slut he married brought him to his knees. he was never the same after that.

also he was a terrible person and eventually that was gonna catch up to him. couldn't pay off every victim he abused.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Loved that Tyson.

Ferocious.

He was never the same after Cus D'Amato died. Kevin Rooney tried...he did all the could, but Tyson couldn't trust people because of his really awful upbringing. It was an upbringing that led to him being a bad person and Cus was his salvation.

By the time he got to Don King, he was essentially done and he was on stilts until he found someone like Buster Douglas.

Had Cus D'Amato lived longer, there wouldn't be much doubt about who the greatest ever was. I've never seen a short guy have upper body movement like that or be able to deliver so technically like that. And Mike is a boxing historian. He's no joke.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was never the same after Cus D'Amato died. Kevin Rooney tried...he did all the could, but Tyson couldn't trust people because of his really awful upbringing. It was an upbringing that led to him being a bad person and Cus was his salvation.

By the time he got to Don King, he was essentially done and he was on stilts until he found someone like Buster Douglas.

Had Cus D'Amato lived longer, there wouldn't be much doubt about who the greatest ever was. I've never seen a short guy have upper body movement like that or be able to deliver so technically like that. And Mike is a boxing historian. He's no joke.
I never bought in to that rhetoric. Tyson reached his peak 3 years after Cus passed. He stayed out of trouble early in his career when he was fighting every 2-3 weeks, relatively unknown. But once the big money rolled in and now he was fighting only a few times a year, the idle time became the devils playground.
In any event, the heavyweight division pretty much hasn't been the same since his demise.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Please enlighten me, where and just when was Michael Lombardi ever a Coach in the NFL!?!

I said he worked with the top coaches Bill Walsh, Andy Reid, even Bellicheat. I'm not gonna fully discount him b/c of his Cleveland time.

Bottom line is this for me: I'm fine with the coaches, players, and the FO folks that are directly involved with football.

Stan and friends, those at the ownership level have a LOT to do in order to show they are fully committed to the RAMS success and not to the success of the BRAND.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I never bought in to that rhetoric. Tyson reached his peak 3 years after Cus passed. He stayed out of trouble early in his career when he was fighting every 2-3 weeks, relatively unknown. But once the big money rolled in and now he was fighting only a few times a year, the idle time became the devils playground.
In any event, the heavyweight division pretty much hasn't been the same since his demise.

Well, while I wasn't directly involved, I have second and third-hand info that's how it went.

Yes, he continued to grow as a fighter because Kevin Rooney stayed around. And there was some continuation. But with Don King in the picture poisoning the well, the inevitable break with Rooney came and he was never the same after that.

When a guy jumps from an airplane without a parachute, he doesn't hit the ground immediately. It takes time. So it was with Mike.

It wasn't the money or the idle time, it was the lack of Cus D'Amato in his life and the addition of Don King. Had Cus lived another 10 years, I don't know one person involved with Mike who doesn't fully agree that this all goes way differently.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had Cus lived another 10 years, I don't know one person involved with Mike who doesn't fully agree that this all goes way differently.
Like I said, I know the rhetoric has been repeated ad nauseum, where its accepted as truth. I don't buy it, nor do I think Cus would have been able to keep Tyson out of trouble. What kept him out of trouble was 15 fights in his first year. He was always in training mode.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Lombardi- "McVay must show the team he is in charge by using his intelligence on all sides of the ball, not displaying his title. It takes confidence in your football knowledge to do this. Does McVay have that knowledge? We’ll see."

McVay will be all of those things and more.
He has the football background,he is as smart as they come and driven to the max.
Wade might be asking Mcvay questions about the defense by years end. ;)

Hey Lombardi !!
th

Last edited:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
:hijack::redcard:

Well, while I wasn't directly involved, I have second and third-hand info that's how it went.

Yes, he continued to grow as a fighter because Kevin Rooney stayed around. And there was some continuation. But with Don King in the picture poisoning the well, the inevitable break with Rooney came and he was never the same after that.

When a guy jumps from an airplane without a parachute, he doesn't hit the ground immediately. It takes time. So it was with Mike.

It wasn't the money or the idle time, it was the lack of Cus D'Amato in his life and the addition of Don King. Had Cus lived another 10 years, I don't know one person involved with Mike who doesn't fully agree that this all goes way differently.

Dudes,
That is a
party foul on the major threadjack

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, there is a difference between "this is my vision" and then getting guys who fit that vision and/or buy into that vision... and "this is our vision" which comes from a set of principles, but empowers contribution to that vision and enlists others to own it.

It's a leadership thing. Along the lines of "these are my orders, follow them to victory!" and "let's work toward victory together"

Some don't respond any differently to those leadership alternatives. However, the cultures that germinate around them are vastly different.

I've found that long term success generally reflects the later option.

The other way can work (see the Patriot Way), but it's extraordinarily difficult to replicate as almost every other team around the country that's tried has found out, including us.

I'm not disagreeing here with the first part. But everyone in the org needs to be on board. You can't just leave it on the coach, then blame him when things go awry.

The second part I do disagree. The Patriots are just one. Atlanta is a perfect example of how I would like Stan to run his team. Be all in. Care about the RAMS. Everything else will come in time.

I purposely am avoiding bringing Arizona. That is a great organization as well.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Like I said, I know the rhetoric has been repeated ad nauseum, where its accepted as truth. I don't buy it, nor do I think Cus would have been able to keep Tyson out of trouble. What kept him out of trouble was 15 fights in his first year. He was always in training mode.

I'm talking about people close to Mike, including Mike, who knew. It's not really speculation. Cus' death traumatized Mike and he dealt with the pressure poorly.

Mike listened to Cus like no one else. That's just fact. Mike's still raw about Cus, that's how much he meant to Mike.

I get putting it all on the training, but it just wasn't that.

/end hijack

So... McVay's doing really well with the whole culture thing...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm not disagreeing here with the first part. But everyone in the org needs to be on board. You can't just leave it on the coach, then blame him when things go awry.

The second part I do disagree. The Patriots are just one. Atlanta is a perfect example of how I would like Stan to run his team. Be all in. Care about the RAMS. Everything else will come in time.

I purposely am avoiding bringing Arizona. That is a great organization as well.

I think we're agreeing just using different words.

I didn't mean that the Pats were the only example.

And I agree that the Arthur Blank example of ownership is good (the Rooney of Pittsburgh is better).

I know if you or I or just about anyone else on this board became the owner, we'd truly bleed Rams blue (and white? gold? this transition is confusing me).

I dunno if we'll ever get Stan to be like the Rooneys or Arthur Blank or young Bidwell in AZ who's done an exceptional job turning around the perennially losing Red Birds.

But if he puts all the pieces in place, we should be fine. Heck, we won the SB with Frontiere as owner and John Shaw pulling all the strings. If THAT can happen, we can be okay with Stan.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Well, I'm creating a distinction.

Spags and to an extent Fisher, made it about "their" vision rather than creating a common vision and enlisting the entire team into that vision.

I've built teams and the difference between McVay and everyone going back to Vermeil is STARK.

NO guarantees in life, but every single step taken thus far only further validates the initial impression that McVay is a coaching prodigy who gets it even at this early age.
I hope you're right but all I've read is the same ole same ole new head coach speak. Dazzle me with an 8-0 start and I might change my mind.