Every Bradford Throw Over 15 Yards (31:21)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong with Bradford. His accuracy down field was actually better than I remembered. He needs help from his receivers. Get Separation + Catch the Ball = Good Result

Id like to see coaches tape tho. To see how well he went throw his progressions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PhxRam said:
To be able to show long videos on youtube you must have at least 10 videos public. I simply made 10 "testing" videos with each one varying in length from 2-30 seconds long.
I don't think that's the case anymore. I have an account where all the vids are "link only" videos, and I was able to upload this one. The *trick* is, you have to verify your account through your cell phone (with a text), and THEN they'll let you upload the longer ones. You also must not have any content ID warnings on your account either.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Every time I see that Giants 'flop' I get angry. Can't believe they were never punished for that.

Good videos though. Really enjoyed this one, going through the games like that. Ready for the season.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
I remember how well the Rams moved the ball before Sam got hut, though it seemed like every drive stalled at the Red Zone. After Bradford's ankle was hurt, the offense just wasn't the same. I hoping that with having a guy with big speed (Givens) who could stretch the field, it will really help.

Also, if you watch the first few games Sam was really throwing the ball well even on the deep passes. Just looking at the replays it was clear that most of the incompletions were either drops or the WR slowed down mid route to locate the ball and it made it look like he overthrew it (or underthrew it on come back routes). Sam really deserves to have some good route running WR. If so, I think you'll really see this offense move.

The OL started getting hurt the same time Bradford did. That all started in the GB game.

What I still see there is a young qb who needs to improve. Now, that's really not the same as "all qbs could improve." A young one might NOT. We may all think that rule doesn't apply to Bradford, but it's still the logical thing to always keep in mind.

Brees could refine some things, or add some things, or go back over technique and solidify some things.

Bradford still needs to get the things in the first place.

Not talking about talent now. He had first round talent. Talking about being an in-tune, veteran, sound NFL veteran qb.

Guys as diverse as Rick Venturi and Greg Cosell say that. They're no slouches.

And what that means is, we really have no idea what Bradford's ceiling is. How high or "lower than really high but not low" if that makes sense.

Yeah he's still the same guy we saw at OU and in 2010 in terms of talent. But if he wants to be listed with guys like Rivers, or Eli, or Schaub (leaving out Brady for the moment), then he has to go through progressions, not lock on as much, read defenses with more proficiency, take medium shots, anticipate better, and develop top 11-25 yard accuracy on things like digs and deep outs, develop better pocket awareness, and get some chemistry and timing with his WRs.

I think we all believe that in his case, with experience, that can happen.

But logic says it DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN with EVERY young qb and so far Bradford doesn't come with a guaranteed exemption.

BTw, I personally don't care that much about long ball accuracy. Cosell said that Rivers has a great long ball, and truth is he never got higher than 40% accuracy (one year) and is mostly around high 20s/low 30s. The long ball is so rare that in the end, it's just not as important as 11-25 yard medium and deep medium passes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Yeah he's still the same guy we saw at OU and in 2010 in terms of talent. But if he wants to be listed with guys like Rivers, or Eli, or Schaub (leaving out Brady for the moment), then he has to go through progressions, not lock on as much, read defenses with more proficiency, take medium shots, anticipate better, and develop top 11-25 yard accuracy on things like digs and deep outs, develop better pocket awareness, and get some chemistry and timing with his WRs.
Good conversation. And that's one of the reasons I'm making these videos - to spark something during the dullness of the off-season. Following up on that, I'm gonna zero in on this portion of your post and talk about this.

Guys like Eli didn't even get listed with guys like Eli until he won his second Superbowl. What does that mean to me? It's all about "flare" and "pop" and "pizazz" in this league. Bradford may not ever be that kind of QB. Everything we know about Bradford is that he's a system-type QB. He's someone like Aikman or the Mannings (in principle). Give him protection, give him continuity and stability in a system, and give him a few guys to work with, and he'll be just like Eli in due time. Systematically making use of his weapons to methodically drive down the field and give his team the opportunity to succeed.

In that video there were a ton of good Tim Ryan quotes. I may go back through and compile them into another video so that everyone can fully appreciate what I'm talking about here. He (and other respected media guys) know what Bradford is capable of. They don't speculate. They know. As does Fisher. What Fisher likely sees is a QB who, when given favorable conditions, can drive an offense. I saw that too. I may have to go back and show what he does when he gets the PRIVILEGE of being able to go through his progressions. That starts with protection. WHEN he's able to go through his progressions (and he does it quickly), he finds the open guy and he gets him the ball. When he's pressured and banged around, and is actually forced into a spread offense because of the lack of protection, then he absolutely locks on. I would too. Pick the guy who has the best chance of getting open and wait 3 seconds for him to do so.

Again, he's only had 26 starts. Of course he has things he needs to work on to become a well-rounded NFL quarterback. My contention is that it takes 10 other guys to help that process along. He's not a free-wheeling, scrambling, run for yards when things break down type of QB. When you draft a pocket QB with incredible accuracy, you need to ensure that conditions are ripe for him to succeed. Now I'm not saying the previous regime failed in that regard, because they didn't. They tried to do that. Bradford was set up brilliantly in 2010. And for a rookie QB, he did really well, considering his primary target was Danny Amendola, and everyone else played sparingly. In 2011, he had to change everything he learned the previous year, and then watched as the entire offense dropped off like flies around him. THEN, he went ahead and got injured himself on top of it.

Those aren't ripe conditions. I *think* that if the Schottenheimer offense (and any parallel system) stays in place for years, he'll continually progress to the point that he's mentioned in the same sentence with some of the upper echelon QBs in the league. It won't be until the RAMS get to the playoffs on a consistent basis that he'll be the recipient of the 'elite' tag. And even then, knowing the fickleness of the media and fans ... maybe.

Anonymous

X said:
Guys like Eli didn't even get listed with guys like Eli until he won his second Superbowl. What does that mean to me? It's all about "flare" and "pop" and "pizazz" in this league. Bradford may not ever be that kind of QB. Everything we know about Bradford is that he's a system-type QB. He's someone like Aikman or the Mannings (in principle). Give him protection, give him continuity and stability in a system, and give him a few guys to work with, and he'll be just like Eli in due time. Systematically making use of his weapons to methodically drive down the field and give his team the opportunity to succeed.

Well, eli is a bad choice for an analogy then...I only meant a certain level of proficiency. And yes I completely accept, endorse, and otherwise get behind the Aikman analogy.

He does need a line and at least one WR. I talk about that often myself, especially with the "not too soon to say bust" /slash/ "real qbs scoff at massive injuries" crowd.

But in himself, regardless of circumstances, there;'s a certain level he has to reach. Granted with a seamless intro to the league--same coaches 2 years, same system 2 years, a healthy OL and receivers--he might have already done that.

On the other hand I also don't buy the argument that if he doesn't show enough THIS year he's not gonna. BS. Guys have different calendars. He very well might NOT turn the corner with a time frame defined by some internet guy's arbitrary paint-by-numbers schedule.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:

Well, eli is a bad choice for an analogy then...I only meant a certain level of proficiency. And yes I completely accept, endorse, and otherwise get behind the Aikman analogy.

He does need a line and at least one WR. I talk about that often myself, especially with the "not too soon to say bust" /slash/ "real qbs scoff at massive injuries" crowd.

But in himself, regardless of circumstances, there;'s a certain level he has to reach. Granted with a seamless intro to the league--same coaches 2 years, same system 2 years, a healthy OL and receivers--he might have already done that.

On the other hand I also don't buy the argument that if he doesn't show enough THIS year he's not gonna. BS. Guys have different calendars. He very well might NOT turn the corner with a time frame defined by some internet guy's arbitrary paint-by-numbers schedule.
We have an accord then.

What's amazing to me, honestly....is how much stronger Bradford's arm is now than it was in college!!!!
Man, that boy matured!!!!! My observations of QBs, as a former QB, is that college arm strength - usually is what you were born with and usually kinda peaks in college.
As the body matures you can pick up a bit more velocity in mid-late 20s...but it's minor.
It's very rare to take another HUGE step up in velocity. imo

But Bradford has developed another speed to his fastball, which is very impressive!!!
I think he never worked out to the level he did in re-habbing his shoulder...and thus GOT VERY strong.
His passes get out of his hand...FAST!
Something I rarely saw in any of his college game tape. Honestly, his arm is probably Top 10 now. imo
He throws a great deep ball too. imo

btw
A misnomer is that you can change a QB's delivery....you can tweak aspects...
but my experience/observations are that one cannot change someone's throwing motion the way guys talk about it on TV.
Billick said the same thing and I'm glad he did!!!

Tebow is a prime example....he's got it all...but cannot throw at an NFL level.
He cannot re-learn his natural delivery and so I think it's folly that folks talk about that.
Tebow throws the way he did in college....maybe a hair better mechanics...a hair!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
throwingmotion.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
brokeu91 said:
I remember how well the Rams moved the ball before Sam got hut, though it seemed like every drive stalled at the Red Zone. After Bradford's ankle was hurt, the offense just wasn't the same. I hoping that with having a guy with big speed (Givens) who could stretch the field, it will really help.

Also, if you watch the first few games Sam was really throwing the ball well even on the deep passes. Just looking at the replays it was clear that most of the incompletions were either drops or the WR slowed down mid route to locate the ball and it made it look like he overthrew it (or underthrew it on come back routes). Sam really deserves to have some good route running WR. If so, I think you'll really see this offense move.

This^^^

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:

Except why assume that on the over/under throws it was the receiver. Why wasn't that the qb? And it could have been. All we know, really, is that with no time to install a new offense, get reps, and build chemistry, the offense wasn't on the same page a lot. That could have been and quite often probably was Bradford too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

Except why assume that on the over/under throws it was the receiver. Why wasn't that the qb? And it could have been. All we know, really, is that with no time to install a new offense, get reps, and build chemistry, the offense wasn't on the same page a lot. That could have been and quite often probably was Bradford too.
That's fair. I mean, we really *don't* know if the receiver ran the wrong route, or if the QB made a bad throw, but we do know by watching that the timing on some patterns was off. When you can't build that chemistry through reps, then it becomes two guys doing their individual jobs instead of two guys doing the same job. Gibson was running his route, and Bradford was throwing to a spot (for example).

Also, though, If Gibson stumbles through his route and can't catch up to the ball, then the throw is bad. If Bradford is pressured or hit while throwing and the throw is off as a result, then the throw is bad. That's always on the QB no matter who's at fault. And that's by default because it shows up as an incompletion. And then the receiver gets screwed because when the QB gets pressured, it shows up as a *miss* in his target/catch ratio column. And that's a problem for me. There's no context in stats. They're just numbers.

Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.
-- Vin Scully

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Great video X.

Sam was throwing with confidence in those first few games. After his injury you can clearly see it affect him and not only that but he was losing confidence in his teammates. Sam played good with what he had to work with. No offseason, new offense, no QB coach, drops, offensive injuries, and lousy play calling all contributed to last years failure. I mean look at some of those plays! Sam was play-action faking to nobody in the backfield sometimes :grr: and when we actually got the ball inside the 5 yard line, it was like McDaniels forgot he had a 240 pound monster in the backfield :evil:.

I just hope that our O-Line can stay healthy and protect Sam this season and beyond before its too late.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

I would actually assume that some of them WERE the QB. But when you watch the tape AND hear the commentators mention that the receiver slowed or stumbled, etc... well, it would seem that the receiver was not where he was supposed to be. The main point I draw on is that the accuracy was there and somehow progressively got worse? That offense was a mess. Period. Be it from injuries or lack of reps, etc... WRs not running precise routes, dropped passes, bad ankle, no time to throw, and yes - some poorly thrown balls. All QBs have poorly thrown balls. The good ones get at least some help on a regular basis.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Young Ram said:
Great video X.

Sam was throwing with confidence in those first few games. After his injury you can clearly see it affect him and not only that but he was losing confidence in his teammates. Sam played good with what he had to work with. No offseason, new offense, no QB coach, drops, offensive injuries, and lousy play calling all contributed to last years failure. I mean look at some of those plays! Sam was play-action faking to nobody in the backfield sometimes :grr: and when we actually got the ball inside the 5 yard line, it was like McDaniels forgot he had a 240 pound monster in the backfield :evil:.

I just hope that our O-Line can stay healthy and protect Sam this season and beyond before its too late.

A big +1 to all of this. Oh, and I love your sig. I reeeeaaaaaaalllly wish they would go back to those unis.....