ESPN ranks Rams 2022 rookie class 31st in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

ESPN ranks Rams 2022 rookie class 31st in the NFL​

Rams rookie class ranks among worst in the NFL

By BlaineGrisak@bgrisakDTR Jan 19, 2023

For now, it's rated low. Durant should've played more; he was an absolute sparkplug when he played, and honestly, he reminds me a bit of Dre Bly; same issues with tackling, but hot damn does he have ball skills. Bruss going down with an injury early on sucked, but I'm not giving up on him either. Kendrick still played a lot of games for a sixth round rookie, which is impressive, even if he didn't impress. K-Will was a solid rookie, Yeast, Lake, and Hardy have real potential, even Arcuri got a start.

And call me crazy, but I count the undrafted rookies - and the rookies we got from other squads - as well: Shaun Jolly (a corner who didn't see any time, but has real potential), Lance McCutcheon (I think he could get a job next year), the Thomases (Keir, Brayden, and Zachary - two solid edge players, one intriguing offensive lineman), Zach VanValkenburg (another fantastic pass rusher) Roger Carter Jr. (maybe our HB/FB?), Jake Hummel (interesting inside linebacker, core special teamer with Rozeboom, maybe?), T.J. Carter (who got playing time at safety after Yeast went down), and the two wide receivers we signed to futures have real potential (Jaquarii Roberson and Jerreth Sterns. Sterns led the NCAA in receptions and receiving yard and tied for the most touchdowns with Bailey Zappe as his QB; Roberson. Roberson had two great final years at Wake Forest.)

There's a lot to unpack in this class, much like there was in 2021; like 2021, it's a draft built for the future. It's definitely an exciting future, especially when you add more draft capital to compete.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
For now, it's rated low. Durant should've played more; he was an absolute sparkplug when he played, and honestly, he reminds me a bit of Dre Bly; same issues with tackling, but hot damn does he have ball skills. Bruss going down with an injury early on sucked, but I'm not giving up on him either. Kendrick still played a lot of games for a sixth round rookie, which is impressive, even if he didn't impress. K-Will was a solid rookie, Yeast, Lake, and Hardy have real potential, even Arcuri got a start.

And call me crazy, but I count the undrafted rookies - and the rookies we got from other squads - as well: Shaun Jolly (a corner who didn't see any time, but has real potential), Lance McCutcheon (I think he could get a job next year), the Thomases (Keir, Brayden, and Zachary - two solid edge players, one intriguing offensive lineman), Zach VanValkenburg (another fantastic pass rusher) Roger Carter Jr. (maybe our HB/FB?), Jake Hummel (interesting inside linebacker, core special teamer with Rozeboom, maybe?), T.J. Carter (who got playing time at safety after Yeast went down), and the two wide receivers we signed to futures have real potential (Jaquarii Roberson and Jerreth Sterns. Sterns led the NCAA in receptions and receiving yard and tied for the most touchdowns with Bailey Zappe as his QB; Roberson. Roberson had two great final years at Wake Forest.)

There's a lot to unpack in this class, much like there was in 2021; like 2021, it's a draft built for the future. It's definitely an exciting future, especially when you add more draft capital to compete.
Mehw

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh no. How ever will I sleep tonight?!

I'm right with you! I'll take #1 SB Champions last season for #31 rated rookies, anytime.

Attachments

• IMG_4412.JPG
    IMG_4412.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 11

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Not fair Quentin Lake didn’t play til like the last game. I expected his showing to be shy, but come on man. Our D was still ranked good in the entire NFL, now if we picked up rookie OL and played as bad as we did I could see that as being bad…

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Well, the Rams didn’t have one day 1, plug and play starter. The only player thought to have had a chance was Bruss and he got hurt; but that’s taking the easy way out—by all accounts he was struggling and would not have started opening day.
The injuries cleared the way for many of these guys to get their feet wet though.

After Bruss there was KW, who was to help share the RB load. He didn’t play enough to convince he could be the future.

Durant and all of the other DBs signed/drafted were really targeted for 2023 when the Rams will probably lose a few guys to FA. We will see how that works out. As for Durant, he looked every bit the part of potential starter.

Pretty much every pass rusher was a fingers crossed, can we get lucky kinda pick. It would really help if that actually happens for at least one of those players.

This class was not that impressive in its first year. It’s ok to admit that because, again, not too many of these guys were brought in to make an instant impact. They should however, be better served because they a saw lot more action (collectively) than they were probably supposed to.

I will say this about all of those day 3 guys (rookies or not):
They played their asses off down the stretch. I don’t necessarily see depth as an issue moving forward. What the Rams need now is the kinda draft that yields 2-3 opening day starters.
…and one of them needs to be a star.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What do they always say? You can't CAN'T CAN'T grade a draft class for at least 2 or 3 years!!! Well, you can but it really don't mean squattolla. But we're behind the 8 ball in years past because we don't pick until at least the third round.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Les made a comment a few times recently including a just posted article from Jourdan at the athletic talking about rookies and making use of their rookie contract. I know there were a lot of people calling for some of them to just be cut and that seems to go against the Rams philosophy. Two guys he singled out specifically were Jackson and Shelton on the OL thinking they had a bigger role moving forward.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
What about that other new guy we got - Bobby Wagner??
He was good..... :laugh2:
He was new to us........ :woozy2:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I'm not sure that's a word...unless we're talking about a feline who is feeling like a hairball's stuck in their throat. You sure you aren't a cat? :p

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What about that other new guy we got - Bobby Wagner??
He was good..... :laugh2:
He was new to us........ :woozy2:

Chris Beake ? He spent 9years in Denver before coming to The Rams & has 22 years of experience. Mcvay(reporters)talks about burnout. Anyway that was an excellent hiring.

Jake Peetze is another singing. IMO he hurt the camaraderie of that offensive group. First year in The NFL & next season is out.

LSU??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not fair Quentin Lake didn’t play til like the last game. I expected his showing to be shy, but come on man. Our D was still ranked good in the entire NFL, now if we picked up rookie OL and played as bad as we did I could see that as being bad…
Tell that to all the players drafted before PURDY. Hope Dallas wins.He hasn’t lost as a starter in The NFL & beat the goat in his first start.

I’d say Jordan Fuller is underrated by Ram Fans.
Terrile Burgees vs T. Lewis? Keep the not playing & excuses coming.

Did you add K. Williams to your list? I liked Kendrick even if he had some tough luck and bad games.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Did you add K. Williams to your list? I liked Kendrick even if he had some tough luck and bad games

I've been bored and have started re watching the games. So far, through the first 5 weeks. Kendrick can play. You know who else? Noteboom. I read and have been reminded a few times "at the time of his injury he led the league in sacks (5) and pressures (23) by PFF".

Well after rewatcing the first 5 games, I call bullshit. He had a bad game vs Buffalo but so did the other 4. He was credited with 3 sacks by PFF. One was his. Another was Stafford scrambling and Notebooms guy running him out of bounds. The third was Notebooms guy on a stunt. JN took Edwards guy and Edwards whiffed on JNs guy. He had 2 stellar games in a row (Atl & Arz) with his guy not sniffing Stafford, then handled Bosa all day in SF. He gave up a sack on a blitz vs Dallas.

The guy is real good in pass pro and above average in the run game. We better hope he's recovered for week 1 because I think with Jackson taking over for Edwards, Shelton for Allen and Anchrum/Bruss at RG next to Havenstein, the line will be solid if they remain healthy.

That'll leave Anchrum/Bruss in reserve, Brewer, Thomas, Arcuri and prolly another draft pick. If they draft a C, another reserve or sign one in FA, Shelton as a backup. JMHO

6 weeks till free agency, 14 weeks till the draft. Can't wait

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been bored and have started re watching the games. So far, through the first 5 weeks. Kendrick can play. You know who else? Noteboom. I read and have been reminded a few times "at the time of his injury he led the league in sacks (5) and pressures (23) by PFF".

Well after rewatcing the first 5 games, I call bullshit. He had a bad game vs Buffalo but so did the other 4. He was credited with 3 sacks by PFF. One was his. Another was Stafford scrambling and Notebooms guy running him out of bounds. The third was Notebooms guy on a stunt. JN took Edwards guy and Edwards whiffed on JNs guy. He had 2 stellar games in a row (Atl & Arz) with his guy not sniffing Stafford, then handled Bosa all day in SF. He gave up a sack on a blitz vs Dallas.

The guy is real good in pass pro and above average in the run game. We better hope he's recovered for week 1 because I think with Jackson taking over for Edwards, Shelton for Allen and Anchrum/Bruss at RG next to Havenstein, the line will be solid if they remain healthy.

That'll leave Anchrum/Bruss in reserve, Brewer, Thomas, Arcuri and prolly another draft pick. If they draft a C, another reserve or sign one in FA, Shelton as a backup. JMHO

6 weeks till free agency, 14 weeks till the draft. Can't wait

That’s a nice view. Always like good takes & opinions.Noteboom going against on the first game waiting on Von Miller & not having any game Reps hurt.

A’ Jackson sure seems confident starting a LG.He likes Anchrum & Mcvay also said that was the injury(timing) was the wort of them all.
—Edwards regressed under Careberry.Late 2021 he slipped & during training camp if showed as well.Could he be brought back?
Wondering if Edwards could be brought back. Anchrum showed promise,but no consistency.

The Rams had a winning record & competed. There were some of the Best RDE’s that Noteboom had to go up against.