Eagles rumor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ditka didn't give up nearly enough to get this kind of a deal done.

But I think that

2015 #1, #2
2016 #1
2017 #1
And Nick Foles probably gets you in the right ballpark.

FRO

Legend
Ditka didn't give up nearly enough to get this kind of a deal done.

But I think that

2015 #1, #2
2016 #1
2017 #1
And Nick Foles probably gets you in the right ballpark.
If I'm the Bucs I want another young asset in return. And probably some more picks. I mean the Rams got a similar deal and we only moved from 2 to 6.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If I'm the Bucs I want another young asset in return. And probably some more picks. I mean the Rams got a similar deal and we only moved from 2 to 6.

Yes, but Nick Foles would be a big piece in a deal like this - and it's not like the RGIII trade is looked at as historically fair in the league.

If you are Tampa, are you telling me you would turn that deal down if there were 30 seconds left on the clock and it were take it or leave it?

I'd take it.

FRO

Legend
Yes, but Nick Foles would be a big piece in a deal like this - and it's not like the RGIII trade is looked at as historically fair in the league.

If you are Tampa, are you telling me you would turn that deal down if there were 30 seconds left on the clock and it were take it or leave it?

I'd take it.
It all depends on what dirt I have on Jameis. The opportunity at Big Ben 2.0 is hard to pass up. I would pass on Mariota at 1.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I disagree. The chances are pretty good that Mariota turns out to be a better QB than Foles, but no one knows for sure. We've actually seen Foles be successful at this level and no one knows how a prospect will turn out once he gets to the pros, case in point RG3.

Of course any sane man would bet on Mariota straight up, but if you're going to receive a bounty of picks as well as a capable QB in return why the heck wouldn't you take what the Iggles are offering?

Th trouble with this stuff about Foles is that he was only good against bad defenses, and bad against good ones. Foles still has a lot to prove.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Th trouble with this stuff about Foles is that he was only good against bad defenses, and bad against good ones. Foles still has a lot to prove.

Funny. Mariota gets that same criticism.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Funny. Mariota gets that same criticism.

True but there is still hope for Mariota, more so than for Foles. Tampa does not need a second teir QB. They need a top starter. We already know that Foles is not he top of the heap. Mariota still could be, or Winston.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just don't buy this rumor and I don't understand why any team lacking a potential top QB would be willing to make this trade. Just the fact that the Eagles would be willing to give up an RGIII haul tells you what NFL teams think of Mariota.

Who would ever have given up even an extra first to get Foles?

FRO

Legend
True but there is still hope for Mariota, more so than for Foles. Tampa does not need a second teir QB. They need a top starter. We already know that Foles is not he top of the heap. Mariota still could be, or Winston.
Foles did have one incredible season in 2013. Let's not totally discount him. I don't think he is or will be elite, but the book isn't totally closed on him. Mariota hasn't had to read defenses or go through progressions. Your QB has to be able to sit in the pocket and read. Peyton Manning has a very average skill set at this point of his career, yet he posts huge numbers because he can read and process like no other. Your QB has to be able to read. Mariota may be able to do that. He has never done it though.

FRO

Legend
I just don't buy this rumor and I don't understand why any team lacking a potential top QB would be willing to make this trade. Just the fact that the Eagles would be willing to give up an RGIII haul tells you what NFL teams think of Mariota.

Only thing I can think is either they have received an offer they can't refuse or they aren't sold on Winston or Mariota.

jjab360

Legend

If some team is willing to give you a bounty of picks and players for one QB prospect you're not even completely sold on, you take the trade. And the Eagles willing to give up an RG3 haul tells us what Chip Kelly think of Mariota, not the entire NFL. He has a raging hard on for him just like the rest of his former Oregon players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More power to the Bucs if this is what they want to do. But I can't say I understand it. Foles offers a similar skill-set to Glennon...a guy they're ready to move on from. Not sure why TB wouldn't just make their pick. Philly would have to blow my socks off to get me to move down. That all said, maybe they will blow TB's socks off.

The good news is, though, if Philly picks #1...that means the Rams can trade up for Winston. Well, that's good news for me at least.(until the Rams don't trade up for Winston and then I get very very sad)

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Mariota is worth all of that then Tampa should just pick him instead of trading.

Let's look at what Tampa has to look forward to.

1. Take Mariota or Winston and have the number one piece to getting to future playoff games
Or Take Mariota or Winston and they bust and Tampa picks high for the next few years.

2.Make the trade and guarantee themselves of not getting a game changing QB and continue searching for one, but gain extra picks to build the team or trade up for a QB similar to what was already available.

So, there is more to gain by doing #1, since QB is the single most important piece for every team.

Maybe they believe that Mariota or Winston will bust, maybe they believe the QB class next year is better. I don't think Mariota or Winston would be close to top 5 picks in other draft years. I'd need a little more than Foles and three 1's to make the trade happen but I'd probably do it, knowing that I'm not getting my QB this year. Hell, maybe Lovie loves Glennon and was just doing a rope a dope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe they believe that Mariota or Winston will bust, maybe they believe the QB class next year is better. I don't think Mariota or Winston would be close to top 5 picks in other draft years. I'd need a little more than Foles and three 1's to make the trade happen but I'd probably do it, knowing that I'm not getting my QB this year. Hell, maybe Lovie loves Glennon and was just doing a rope a dope.

Winston would be a top 5 pick in any year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Winston would be a top 5 pick in any year.

Jrry, I'm struck speechless (writeless?) by that assertion - however, if you're right - I think think the Rams should do what they can to trade up for him. And you should hope for that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry, I'm struck speechless (writeless?) by that assertion - however, if you're right - I think think the Rams should do what they can to trade up for him. And you should hope for that.

Pro style QB with good mobility, a great arm, college production, and excellent instincts/football IQ? Yea, that's should be a top 5 pick in any class...even with the character red flags.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Pro style QB with good mobility, a great arm, college production, and excellent instincts/football IQ? Yea, that's should be a top 5 pick in any class...even with the character red flags.
I 100% agree with you.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We now have a QB coach that's a Florida State alum so maybe there is a chance.

The best news we could get is that Philly traded up to #1. But even still, I just don't know if the Rams value Winston like I do. Would make my year, though, if they traded up for him. Although, there are a lot of people in this fan-base that would probably not be too happy. That all said, I don't care. I think the kid is a future star at QB.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the Eagles will be able to get this done without spending as much as the Redskins did IFF (if and only if) they include Foles.

Foles is a proven young vet that Lovie can really build his franchise around and has no baggage.

I would expect that the Bucs would give up their pick for this year's 1 & 2 and next year's 1 & 3.

That's already a ton if you include an NFL starting QB who is capable of finishing in the top half of the league if not the top 10 in the league for a guy who's done absolutely NOTHING in this league.

Mariota may be exactly the guy Kelly wants to run his offense, but the trade values are a bit different since the RG3 trade. Everyone saw how that trade just hammered Washington...even if it works out...it doesn't necessarily work out.

The Bucs still make out like bandits getting a starting QB and 4 picks if they do this. If they can get more than this, than Chip Kelly's an idiot and didn't learn a thing from Snyder's mistake in Washington.