Draft talk, mocks, prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think when it's all said and done, McCarron will be a late first round, early second round pick. I also think that the Rams will use one first round pick on a defensive player (very possibly Nix) and one on an offensive player, likely a lineman.

I don't see us going with Nix. Doesn't really fit our scheme that well.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
BTW, if there's one under-appreciated name in my mock that you guys need to watch, it's Aaron Donald from Pittsburgh. I can't even begin to explain how excited this guy made me when I flipped on his first game of film. Now I gotta go jump in deeper. His balance is exceptional, he can get skinny through gaps and swat the OL's arms down like it's nothing(main weapon is the swim but he uses clubs and rips as well), he has plus burst/speed for a DT and he attacks the half man as well as anyone in this class. His arm length is acceptable despite his short stature(I'd say 32-33 inches) and he's a surprisingly tough player to move in the run game...uses his natural leverage, exceptional balance and strong lower base well to anchor.

Great job jrry. Looks very logical and doable.

Btw, what do you think of Blake Bortles?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Love him. Second favorite QB prospect in this draft and a guy that I believe is a first rounder.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You guys know how much I love the draft which means getting started early and keep on trucking until May. Before I unveil it, I wanted to cover a few things that I have happening.

Cut
Cortland Finnegan
Scott Wells
Harvey Dahl

Key Re-Signings
Rodger Saffold
Jo-Lonn Dunbar

Trades
Rams trade:

Browns trade:
2nd(#7)

Rams trade:

Saints trade:
2nd(#30)

Explanation: Bridgewater and Clowney go #1 and #2. Rams shop the pick around to a few teams and the Browns decide they will move up for Derek Carr. Carr has the tools for Norv's offense and his biggest issues are things that Norv excels at fixing(footwork and mechanics).

The Saints have a nice year but feel they need a big time piece on defense. Rob Ryan salivates over the idea of Khalil Mack in his 3-4. Mack has a versatile skill-set with the ability to get after the passer at OLB. This is something the Saints would love to have. They move up over a few teams that are a threat to take the versatile Mack.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=116
Round 1 Pick #7 - Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
Round 1 Pick #30 - Cedric Ogbuehi T/G Texas A&M
Round 2 Pick #7 - LaMarcus Joyner CB/S FSU
Round 2 Pick #15 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Round 2 Pick #30 - Calvin Pryor FS Louisville
Round 3 Pick #15 - Morgan Moses T Virginia
Round 4 Pick #15 - David Fales QB San Jose State
Round 5 Pick #15 - Andrew Jackson SLB Western Kentucky
Round 6 Pick #15 - Victor Hampton CB South Carolina
Round 7 Pick #15 - Spencer Long G Nebraska

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Mike Evans
ZWR: Stedman Bailey
SLWR: Tavon Austin(starts in 2 WR sets)
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Cedric Ogbuehi
C: Tim Barnes/Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford(until Donald overtakes him)
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Calvin Pryor/Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker

It's nice that in this mock, for the first time in quite a few years, I don't have like 6 rookies having to start at different positions. :lol:

I think it shows how far we've come. If we re-sign Rodger and Jo-Lonn, the only spots that NEED filling in the STARTING line-up(we do need a lot of depth) are FS, slot CB(not technically a starting job but basically is), LG and #1 WR.

And McLeod and Quick could realistically battle for the FS and #1 WR jobs.

Feel free to tear it to shreds. Haha.

Looks like a good start to me. I have never been that in to evaluating outside reading others' reports and size speed achievements. With Fishers ties to SC I think Bailey might get a look and I like Pryor.

Joyner seem maybe a little high and doesn't have the size I want. I would put Roby, Roberson, and Dennard in front of him. Based on measurables.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see us going with Nix. Doesn't really fit our scheme that well.

A big physical run stopper fits every scheme in reality, but, I know what your saying. If the Rams draft a DT and I think they need to I do not want some undersized slasher. Great, 7 sacks a year and the Rams continue to get hammered in the run game….not interested. I think the possibility of drafting Nix has risen. He does get movement in the passing game and can collapse the pocket and has fallen down to 15 or later in most mocks because of his injury. If the Rams have the chance to add the top rated DT (most rankings I have seen) that late in the first round I think that is a no brainer. If Washington continues to lose and the Rams end up with a 5 pick or higher that means the real odds of adding the top T and DT in the draft. Or trading down if someone wants to overpay to get a QB. Good spot to be in. Just keep doing what your doing in DC.

fearsomefour

Legend
From CBS Sports site on Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh:

"ANALYSIS
Strengths: Comes off the snap like he's shot out of a cannon. His first step routinely beats opponents for immediate pressures. Has an effective arm-over swim move, though he doesn't use this often enough. His stature gives Donald the leverage advantage which he uses well to get under the pads of opponents and drive them into the backfield on bull-rushes.

Weaknesses: As with most undersized pass-rushers, when Donald's burst is contained his short arms limit his effectiveness. Donald keeps his legs churning and plays with effort, but he can get caught up in the hand-to-hand combat."

He is also leading the country in sacks per game (1.6…..that is not a mistype) and tackles for loss (2.4). So, certainly an explosive player. But he is tiny by DT standards. Barely 6 foot (if that) and at or just under 285 lbs. We have seen players be very successful with this size in the NFL, John Randle and our own DeMarco Farr pop to mind. But, it has to be a conern.
If the Rams release Langford and draft two DTs I could see this happening:
1a Matthews
1b Nix
2 Donald

CBS has him as the 5th DT and as a second rounder. His size may drop him. I have been using Langford as the fall guy for the substandard run D for a good part of the year….not fair I know and that is based on being able to save $4M by dropping him. If the Rams keep him then Donald may be a perfect fit for the DT rotation. If the Rams trade their pick down I could see grabbing Donald. I cant see using a top 12 pick for a guy that is going to be a rotational player more than likely.
Those numbers are amazing though.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Love him. Second favorite QB prospect in this draft and a guy that I believe is a first rounder.

Here ya go, jrry.....

thr.logo.jpg

Blake Bortles QB Central Florida

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1

STRENGTHSBlake has the size, arm strength, athletic talent and football intelligence to be considered the top quarterback in this draft. He is very strong in the pocket in spite of the fact that most of the time he is in a pro spread offense. He shows on film good accuracy and anticipation when he throws the ball and is very accurate when he breaks containment and throws on the run. Blake shows excellent leadership skills, is smart and reads defenses better than most quarterbacks going in the draft. He is a lot faster than he looks because of his size and will extend the play or gain the needed yardage on third and short (or long) if he has to run. Blake has the athleticism and quick feet to play under center. Under pressure and in the pocket he doesn’t panic or speed up his arm speed causing accuracy mistakes. He is cool and makes the players around him better. Every game I have seen him in this year he improves and becomes more confident in his decision making and pre-snap reads. I call him Blake (2 guns) Bortles because he has two guns to beat you with -- his arm and his legs. Don’t forget his brain, that’s a weapon too but I don’t think three guns is as dramatic as two guns.

CONCERNS
Blake has a decision to make whether to come out or not. He is a red shirt junior and the truth is after this year he has nothing more to learn or give his team at the college level. He has more to learn about reading defense, but that’s the norm for every quarterback coming out in the draft and he is not going to get any better learning that at the college level. Blake needs to go to the next level now and I don’t say that about a lot of juniors unless they show the maturity on the field that Blake showed this year.

BOTTOM LINE
Blake’s style of play is very much like Andrew Luck’s. Same size, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism, and football intelligence. His leadership skills are excellent and he can become a franchise quarterback very quickly at the next level for the team that drafts him. A franchise quarterback is a quarterback who can open the running game up with his accurate passing. He makes teams play the safeties back and off the line because of his ability to make all the throws with accuracy and make good decisions in his pre-snap reads and under pressure. Blake has the potential to be one of those types of quarterbacks and when you think you see a player like that…you draft him and you draft him early. If I had the 1st pick in the draft and needed a quarterback, I would not hesitate to select Blake because he has that type of franchise potential and he is further along in his ability to run any style offense than most junior or senior quarterbacks in this draft. Right now Blake is way under the radar like so many other quarterbacks in this draft because of all the marketing being done by the more highly thought of college programs. The first time I saw Blake, he made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and when that happens I go deep into evaluating because I need to understand why I had that type of reaction. As of this writing I have to consider Blake as one (if not the) top quarterback in this very deep quarterback draft class. It’s early and being considered the top quarterback for me personally could change but what will not change is consideration for Blake being considered (by me) as one of the top 10 players in this draft.

Drew Boylhart Dec/2013

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
You guys know how much I love the draft which means getting started early and keep on trucking until May. Before I unveil it, I wanted to cover a few things that I have happening.

Cut
Cortland Finnegan
Scott Wells
Harvey Dahl

Key Re-Signings
Rodger Saffold
Jo-Lonn Dunbar

Trades
Rams trade:

Browns trade:
2nd(#7)

Rams trade:

Saints trade:
2nd(#30)

Explanation: Bridgewater and Clowney go #1 and #2. Rams shop the pick around to a few teams and the Browns decide they will move up for Derek Carr. Carr has the tools for Norv's offense and his biggest issues are things that Norv excels at fixing(footwork and mechanics).

The Saints have a nice year but feel they need a big time piece on defense. Rob Ryan salivates over the idea of Khalil Mack in his 3-4. Mack has a versatile skill-set with the ability to get after the passer at OLB. This is something the Saints would love to have. They move up over a few teams that are a threat to take the versatile Mack.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=116
Round 1 Pick #7 - Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
Round 1 Pick #30 - Cedric Ogbuehi T/G Texas A&M
Round 2 Pick #7 - LaMarcus Joyner CB/S FSU
Round 2 Pick #15 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Round 2 Pick #30 - Calvin Pryor FS Louisville
Round 3 Pick #15 - Morgan Moses T Virginia
Round 4 Pick #15 - David Fales QB San Jose State
Round 5 Pick #15 - Andrew Jackson SLB Western Kentucky
Round 6 Pick #15 - Victor Hampton CB South Carolina
Round 7 Pick #15 - Spencer Long G Nebraska

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Mike Evans
ZWR: Stedman Bailey
SLWR: Tavon Austin(starts in 2 WR sets)
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Cedric Ogbuehi
C: Tim Barnes/Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford(until Donald overtakes him)
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Calvin Pryor/Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker

It's nice that in this mock, for the first time in quite a few years, I don't have like 6 rookies having to start at different positions. :lol:

I think it shows how far we've come. If we re-sign Rodger and Jo-Lonn, the only spots that NEED filling in the STARTING line-up(we do need a lot of depth) are FS, slot CB(not technically a starting job but basically is), LG and #1 WR.

And McLeod and Quick could realistically battle for the FS and #1 WR jobs.

Feel free to tear it to shreds. Haha.

I like the work but I don't think you got nearly enough value in the trades. We traded back twice and only netted two extra twos? ...or am I missing something?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here ya go, jrry.....

thr.logo.jpg

Blake Bortles QB Central Florida

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1

STRENGTHSBlake has the size, arm strength, athletic talent and football intelligence to be considered the top quarterback in this draft. He is very strong in the pocket in spite of the fact that most of the time he is in a pro spread offense. He shows on film good accuracy and anticipation when he throws the ball and is very accurate when he breaks containment and throws on the run. Blake shows excellent leadership skills, is smart and reads defenses better than most quarterbacks going in the draft. He is a lot faster than he looks because of his size and will extend the play or gain the needed yardage on third and short (or long) if he has to run. Blake has the athleticism and quick feet to play under center. Under pressure and in the pocket he doesn’t panic or speed up his arm speed causing accuracy mistakes. He is cool and makes the players around him better. Every game I have seen him in this year he improves and becomes more confident in his decision making and pre-snap reads. I call him Blake (2 guns) Bortles because he has two guns to beat you with -- his arm and his legs. Don’t forget his brain, that’s a weapon too but I don’t think three guns is as dramatic as two guns.

CONCERNS
Blake has a decision to make whether to come out or not. He is a red shirt junior and the truth is after this year he has nothing more to learn or give his team at the college level. He has more to learn about reading defense, but that’s the norm for every quarterback coming out in the draft and he is not going to get any better learning that at the college level. Blake needs to go to the next level now and I don’t say that about a lot of juniors unless they show the maturity on the field that Blake showed this year.

BOTTOM LINE
Blake’s style of play is very much like Andrew Luck’s. Same size, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism, and football intelligence. His leadership skills are excellent and he can become a franchise quarterback very quickly at the next level for the team that drafts him. A franchise quarterback is a quarterback who can open the running game up with his accurate passing. He makes teams play the safeties back and off the line because of his ability to make all the throws with accuracy and make good decisions in his pre-snap reads and under pressure. Blake has the potential to be one of those types of quarterbacks and when you think you see a player like that…you draft him and you draft him early. If I had the 1st pick in the draft and needed a quarterback, I would not hesitate to select Blake because he has that type of franchise potential and he is further along in his ability to run any style offense than most junior or senior quarterbacks in this draft. Right now Blake is way under the radar like so many other quarterbacks in this draft because of all the marketing being done by the more highly thought of college programs. The first time I saw Blake, he made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and when that happens I go deep into evaluating because I need to understand why I had that type of reaction. As of this writing I have to consider Blake as one (if not the) top quarterback in this very deep quarterback draft class. It’s early and being considered the top quarterback for me personally could change but what will not change is consideration for Blake being considered (by me) as one of the top 10 players in this draft.

Drew Boylhart Dec/2013

Yep, a lot of good stuff noted(although a few things I'd add to the concerns). I started hyping Bortles last year after the Ball State Bowl Game. I was watching for a sleeper HB that I liked named Latavius Murray. Bortles was incredible in that game. Went back, watched some film and I called him a first round lock heading into this year. He has gotten even better. He definitely has that same look and style to his game that Luck has.

I think Bortles is going to be a real good one and is criminally underrated right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A big physical run stopper fits every scheme in reality, but, I know what your saying. If the Rams draft a DT and I think they need to I do not want some undersized slasher. Great, 7 sacks a year and the Rams continue to get hammered in the run game….not interested. I think the possibility of drafting Nix has risen. He does get movement in the passing game and can collapse the pocket and has fallen down to 15 or later in most mocks because of his injury. If the Rams have the chance to add the top rated DT (most rankings I have seen) that late in the first round I think that is a no brainer. If Washington continues to lose and the Rams end up with a 5 pick or higher that means the real odds of adding the top T and DT in the draft. Or trading down if someone wants to overpay to get a QB. Good spot to be in. Just keep doing what your doing in DC.

I disagree. Nix is a thick, squatty NT. He is an ideal scheme fit in a 3-4 as a NT or in one of the few 4-3 alignments that still uses a 2 gap NT(such as Seattle or Jax). Brockers is for all intents and purposes our NT despite him lining up at the traditional UT spot. Langford acts as more of a UT in the NT spot. It's weird but it's how our defense operates. Nix doesn't offer enough pass rush potential to be worth to us what he is to 3-4 teams.

Really, the biggest issues for our run defense have been poor tackling on the second and third levels.

As far as Donald, don't let his size mislead you. He isn't the type of guy that gets blown off the ball. He has a strong lower base, excellent balance and natural leverage. He holds his ground well and has the ability to split the gap and make plays in the back-field. Think D'Marco Farr, John Randle and Geno Atkins. All undersized players that could hold their ground and attack the back-field.

Donald is undersized...he's a slasher but he's also surprisingly effective in the parts of his game you'd expect to be weaknesses.

I like the work but I don't think you got nearly enough value in the trades. We traded back twice and only netted two extra twos? ...or am I missing something?

I typically give us less value than normal in mock trades because I don't want overdo it and give myself too many picks to work with.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

Hey Max and jrry32, I'd like to chime in on Bortles if that's okay.

The guy is a poor man's Luck, seriously. They are built the same and have the knack for 4th quarter comebacks. He has a great arm and great touch/accuracy. Aside from that, the guy knows how to work in the pocket and scramble around. Not quite on kap's level in terms of speed, but the guys knows how to extend a play and make something out of nothing; a Russell Wilson-type athleticism, if you will. And also, everyone, scouts and players included, rave about his leadership. Bortles has uncanny poise for a young qb.

IF, and it may be a longshot if, the guy comes out this year, someone will be getting as steal if he is not selected in the top 10, hell, top 5. He'll most likely stay another year and be a top 5 pick next year, but if he declared this year I would have no problem having a J. Mathews-Bortles draft... One sec, gotta change my briefs after that:jerkoff::razz::razz: Our franchise's outlook would be great with those two. Future stud LT and future stud QB. When was the last time those two were picked by the same team in the same draft?:yousure:

A55VA6

Legend
Oregon QB Marcus Mariota staying at Oregon for his Junior season. Probably a good decision on his part.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If the Rams do decide to draft a QB somewhere in the 2014 Draft who would you like to see them consider and what round do you think the Rams will consider drafting a QB? The three I really like are A.J. McCarron, Blake Bortles and Derek Carr and if any of them are still available when the Rams pick in the 2nd round I hope the Rams at least consider them. I hope Bradford is healthy next season and keeps improving but just in case it would be nice to draft a QB that can be a quality backup to him and take over if necessary.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Oregon QB Marcus Mariota staying at Oregon for his Junior season. Probably a good decision on his part.

Yea just seen that on ESPN here at the gym. My immediate reaction was damn, we've lost a lot of leverage for a trade down if we land a top 3 pick. But from an optimist's point of view, this could be a blessing in disguise. It could "force" us to stay in the top 3 with little trade bait sitting there, ultimately leading us to selecting Matthews and not trading down!! This makes me really happy haha:bigup:. Also, and more importantly, it could make a guy like Bortles reconsider his likelihood decision of staying in school, allowing us the chance to draft our next franchise quarterback:wink::wow::woot::nau:

fearsomefour

Legend
I disagree. Nix is a thick, squatty NT. He is an ideal scheme fit in a 3-4 as a NT or in one of the few 4-3 alignments that still uses a 2 gap NT(such as Seattle or Jax). Brockers is for all intents and purposes our NT despite him lining up at the traditional UT spot. Langford acts as more of a UT in the NT spot. It's weird but it's how our defense operates. Nix doesn't offer enough pass rush potential to be worth to us what he is to 3-4 teams.

Really, the biggest issues for our run defense have been poor tackling on the second and third levels.

As far as Donald, don't let his size mislead you. He isn't the type of guy that gets blown off the ball. He has a strong lower base, excellent balance and natural leverage. He holds his ground well and has the ability to split the gap and make plays in the back-field. Think D'Marco Farr, John Randle and Geno Atkins. All undersized players that could hold their ground and attack the back-field.

Donald is undersized...he's a slasher but he's also surprisingly effective in the parts of his game you'd expect to be weaknesses.

I know Nix is more of a traditional NT. I know he will probably get grabbed up by a 3/4 team. I think the DTs have been inconsistent for us vs the run….very inconsistant. I agree about the tackling being spotty on the second level. I dont think players are that type cast, or need to be that type cast, into specific roles. I could see Nix collasping the pocket as much if not more than Langford.
I did read up on Donald and was impressed. For sure an explosive play making DT. Results are all that matter. He would fit the D better for sure. I think a 285 lb guy is going to have issues adjusting to dealing with 330 lb Gs. Of course a big guy like Nix could have troulbe adjusting the NFL speed also.
I am not convinced that his size wont be an issue. But, if he is there later in the first round great, grab him and keep Langford on as well. His sack numbers (1.6 per game this year) are astounding.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If I'm grabbing a defensive tackle, it would be Ra'Shede Hageman in the first round. I believe that kid is going to be absolutely dominant in this league, and I'll be seriously bummed out if we missed on him. I like Donald too, but Hageman is my first choice.

fearsomefour

Legend
If I'm grabbing a defensive tackle, it would be Ra'Shede Hageman in the first round. I believe that kid is going to be absolutely dominant in this league, and I'll be seriously bummed out if we missed on him. I like Donald too, but Hageman is my first choice.
Hadnt heard of him until he came up on this thread. Looks like a player for sure. He is listed as a second rounder by most sites I have found…..for what that is worth, everything will move around Im sure between now and May.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I think when it's all said and done, McCarron will be a late first round, early second round pick. I also think that the Rams will use one first round pick on a defensive player (very possibly Nix) and one on an offensive player, likely a lineman.
Mariota staying for his junior year just made all the qbs jump. I wonder if the Rams will bite.
As for a lineman in the first round, Fisher has never done that, so it will be interesting if he finally does

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hadnt heard of him until he came up on this thread. Looks like a player for sure. He is listed as a second rounder by most sites I have found…..for what that is worth, everything will move around Im sure between now and May.

Hageman's going to shoot up the draft boards like Dontari Poe did two years ago. There are very few defensive tackles with his athleticism, height, length, and ability to penetrate into the backfield. The closest comparison I could come up with is Richard Seymour. Add him to the rotation with Michael Brockers, and you've got yourself one of the most dominant young front fours in recent memory.