Draft Sleeper Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
2. Easton Stick QB North Dakota State
Just don’t see the love for ES. NDS is the epitome of a QB system offense and wins with some pretty mediocre to weak QBs. He strikes me as highly inaccurate and easily rattled. I kept hearing about him but the two full games I watched, he was very much less than impressive against second tier competition.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ND State does a great job preparing their QBs for the NFL with their scheme and coaching, too.
Wait... aside from Wentz, what QB have they prepped for the NFL? Did I miss someone?

No offense but I think Stick is overhyped due to Wentz.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No offense but I think Stick is overhyped due to Wentz.

It's the fact they run a pro style offense. Nowadays that's a nice advantage for the QB types. And compare that to a lot of these schemes that are definitely putting their QBs in a place where they are going to have a big adjustment, not to mention if they end up under a non-offensive guru type of coach.

Stick is probably not gonna be a starter type at this level, odds are heavily against him. But I do think it's valuable to note that when teams are looking at the money some of these vet backups make... If you can snap up a depth type in the draft who won't be lost in an NFL playbook maybe you can save some money. Which is to say maybe that gets him drafted.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's the fact they run a pro style offense. Nowadays that's a nice advantage for the QB types. And compare that to a lot of these schemes that are definitely putting their QBs in a place where they are going to have a big adjustment, not to mention if they end up under a non-offensive guru type of coach.

Stick is probably not gonna be a starter type at this level, odds are heavily against him. But I do think it's valuable to note that when teams are looking at the money some of these vet backups make... If you can snap up a depth type in the draft who won't be lost in an NFL playbook maybe you can save some money. Which is to say maybe that gets him drafted.
I don’t disagree with any of this except for the notion that NDS preps QBs for the NFL. They run pro sets for the most part but that’s about where it ends. Carston Wentz is (I believe) the only QB drafted from NDS and I’m pretty sure there hasn’t been a starter from there outside of him or for that matter even a back up. Other colleges run pro sets. NDS has had great success running that offense and if anything, IMO, it shows they traditionally have NOT prepared QBs for the NFL.

I’m not trying to get too negative on Stick or your opinion here. I just think the hype machine on Stick after Wentz is getting a bit too much gas. Stick has inferior physical traits and IMO does nothing that tells me he will overcome them in the NFL.

Of course I reserve the right to make a total 180 if the Rams draft him or take him as an UDFA. :sneaky:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t disagree with any of this except for the notion that NDS preps QBs for the NFL. They run pro sets for the most part but that’s about where it ends.

And that's what I meant by "they prepare QB's for the NFL with their scheme and coaching." Because there's a lot of teams now that don't do that.

I haven't been watching media hype and twitter and all that. I don't think Stick is going to be seen by NFL teams to be a starter level talent. But once again some team might take a chance on him to save some cash on their backup and leverage that "pro style offense" prep he got from playing there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just don’t see the love for ES. NDS is the epitome of a QB system offense and wins with some pretty mediocre to weak QBs. He strikes me as highly inaccurate and easily rattled. I kept hearing about him but the two full games I watched, he was very much less than impressive against second tier competition.

That's simply not what I saw. He's not Carson Wentz, but I think he's a backup who has potential, especially in our scheme.

I don’t disagree with any of this except for the notion that NDS preps QBs for the NFL. They run pro sets for the most part but that’s about where it ends. Carston Wentz is (I believe) the only QB drafted from NDS and I’m pretty sure there hasn’t been a starter from there outside of him or for that matter even a back up. Other colleges run pro sets. NDS has had great success running that offense and if anything, IMO, it shows they traditionally have NOT prepared QBs for the NFL.

I’m not trying to get too negative on Stick or your opinion here. I just think the hype machine on Stick after Wentz is getting a bit too much gas. Stick has inferior physical traits and IMO does nothing that tells me he will overcome them in the NFL.

Of course I reserve the right to make a total 180 if the Rams draft him or take him as an UDFA. :sneaky:

Respectfully, I'm not sure where you're getting this opinion. NDSU was a strong program in D-II in the 1980s. During the 1990s and early 2000s, it wasn't a strong program. Craig Bohl took over in the mid 2000s and NDSU made the jump to the FCS. After some up and down years, the program absolutely took off under Craig Bohl in 2011. From 2011 to 2013, they won three FCS NCs in a row with Brock Jensen starting. Jensen ended up in a NFL camp, but he was a poor draft talent (great talent for the FCS level, though). I wasn't a fan of his.

Bohl left to coach Wyoming (and Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen) after 2013. Chris Klieman took over as HC. Under his tenure, Wentz and Stick have continued the extraordinary success. Klieman just left this year to take the HC job at Kansas State. Anyways, there have only been three QBs during their time at the top. I'm not sure how you can draw the conclusions you are. Frankly, they are flawed conclusions. NDSU runs a pro-style system with NFL-style reads and progressions. Both Wentz and Stick were responsible for running basically the entire offense at the LOS. It's the ideal offense for preparing a QB for the NFL.

I'm also not sure where the "hype machine" on Stick is, beyond me liking him a lot. He's widely regarded as a Day 3 pick, and many of the projections I've seen have him landing somewhere between the 5th round and UDFA. I've explained why I like Stick. It's fine if you don't. It's a gut call for me.

nighttrain

Legend

Dude has wheels and some good moves running with the ball, accuratre in short passing game
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's simply not what I saw. He's not Carson Wentz, but I think he's a backup who has potential, especially in our scheme.

Respectfully, I'm not sure where you're getting this opinion. NDSU was a strong program in D-II in the 1980s. During the 1990s and early 2000s, it wasn't a strong program. Craig Bohl took over in the mid 2000s and NDSU made the jump to the FCS. After some up and down years, the program absolutely took off under Craig Bohl in 2011. From 2011 to 2013, they won three FCS NCs in a row with Brock Jensen starting. Jensen ended up in a NFL camp, but he was a poor draft talent (great talent for the FCS level, though). I wasn't a fan of his.

Bohl left to coach Wyoming (and Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen) after 2013. Chris Klieman took over as HC. Under his tenure, Wentz and Stick have continued the extraordinary success. Klieman just left this year to take the HC job at Kansas State. Anyways, there have only been three QBs during their time at the top. I'm not sure how you can draw the conclusions you are. Frankly, they are flawed conclusions. NDSU runs a pro-style system with NFL-style reads and progressions. Both Wentz and Stick were responsible for running basically the entire offense at the LOS. It's the ideal offense for preparing a QB for the NFL.

I'm also not sure where the "hype machine" on Stick is, beyond me liking him a lot. He's widely regarded as a Day 3 pick, and many of the projections I've seen have him landing somewhere between the 5th round and UDFA. I've explained why I like Stick. It's fine if you don't. It's a gut call for me.
Guess we’ll see. I’m not seeing the pro potential of Stick and the tangibles don’t outweigh his physical limitations. The NDSU program has been a great D1 program. That’s obvious. Still not sold.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He’s not really a sleeper but he may be an overachiever compared where he will drafted and that’s Oshane Ximines, Edge, ODU

More of a sleeper for me would be Stanley Morgan Jr, WR, Nebraska