Draft Sleeper Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Put your sleeper up here. You know, that one player that you in your vast and unappreciated football genius are the only one in the universe to know about. :p

I'm sure this one will provide some laughs post-draft. Here's mine:

Ben Banogu, Edge, TCU

He fits all the criteria that I think the Rams have been gunning for... He's the right size (6'3" and 250ish like Ebu was), excellent athlete with a lot of physical strength and upside, can play different spots potentially, and impressed a lot of coaches during the Senior Bowl. TCU was scheme heavy vs teaching them a lot of technique, so he's a guy our staff can levy with their proven system of teaching.

Ok so he blew up the combine and isn't exactly a big secretive sleeper. Sue me. I'm just a dude with a can of bud in my hand trying to figure out how to fit my easy chair under my computer desk.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Trysten Hill, nose tackle from Central Florida. He only started one game this year (because he was in the doghouse) and he has major maturity issues (he basically trashed the new coaching staff after Scott Frost left), but my fucking fate, this kid can play. I'd love to see what Wade and McVay can do with him, especially when he has Donald and Brockers to emulate.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Following....
Great idea, can’t really contribute but will enjoy reading

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Y'all have seen many of mine in my mocks. For the most part, I'll avoid mentioning guys whom I expect to go on Day 1 or 2 in this thread:
1. Kahale Warring TE San Diego State

Here's my exception to the Day 2 comment. Many regard Warring as a 6th or 7th round pick right now. I think he's going in the top 100 picks. He has some inconsistencies to iron out and didn't get nearly the targets he should have in San Diego State's old-school ground Chuck offense. However, it's easy to see what a weapon he has the potential to be. At 6'6" 250+, he has the size, strength, physical mindset, and skill to be a plus blocker. But where he truly stands out is in his pass-catching ability. While he only has good but not elite speed, Warring moves and cuts like a big WR. He has tremendous agility and body control for his size. His hands are still inconsistent, but he shows the ability to climb the ladder and come down with the football. I think he has the potential to be a Zach Ertz-like player. I've also seen him compared to former Ravens TE Todd Heap. I want Warring. I think he's exactly the sort of mismatch at TE that we need and is the perfect Higbee replacement.

2. Easton Stick QB North Dakota State

He's only 6'1" 225 with a very average arm. He's coming from a FCS program (North Dakota State). He had great talent around him (for the FCS level). However, my gut is telling me that Stick is going to surprise a lot of people in the NFL. He's a great athlete at QB (4.6 40 with elite times in the agility drills) who is extremely elusive in the pocket and dangerous as a scrambler. Moreover, where he truly stands out to me is in the intangibles department. Stick is tough as nails, a winner, very intelligent, and seems dedicated to his craft. He has the best play-action fake in this Draft and is used to playing under center in a play-action heavy pro-style offense. He also shows the mental processing speed and field vision to succeed in the NFL. He's a bit of a streaky rhythm passer at QB, but when he's on, he's really, really good. I think he's an exceptionally good fit in our system.

3. Christian Miller EDGE Alabama

Okay, there's a possibility that Miller also goes on Day 2. He's right on the Day 2/3 borderline. Regardless, I think he's one of the best value picks in this Draft. Miller has a long injury history. Without it, I think we'd be talking about him on Day 1. When he has played, he has shown all of the tools to be a quality 3-4 OLB. He's comfortable dropping into coverage with fluid movement skills. As a run defender, he uses his length and agility to set the edge effectively. As a pass rusher, he has an array of moves along with the speed and bend to win the corner. Miller will need to add some weight and get stronger, but he has a lot of upside as a 3-4 SOLB if he stays healthy. I've compared him to former Chargers OLB Shaun Phillips. Phillips was never elite in any single area, but he was a quality player in all areas of the game. In his 8 years as a starter, Phillips averaged 60 tackles, 9 sacks, 11 TFLs, 5 PDs, and 3 FFs per year. I think Miller has a similar career if he stays healthy.

4. Cortez Broughton DT Cincinnati

Something I've noticed over the years is that you tend to get great value on Day 2/3 with undersized, penetrating DTs. Off the top of my head, you have Geno Atkins, Jurrell Casey, Mike Daniels, Grady Jarrett, Javon Hargrave, Cullen Jenkins, Larry Ogunjobi, Kyle Williams, Maurice Hurst, and the list goes on. Accordingly, I make an effort to look for guys who have that sort of skill-set. That leads me to Cortez Broughton. As a senior, Broughton broke out with 52 tackles, 18.5 TFLs, 7.5 sacks, and 2 FFs. Checking in at 6'2" 293, Broughton had a strong showing at his Pro Day. For the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't get a Combine invite or why there's so little interest in him. I see an athletic penetrating DT who has great feet, surprising power, quick hands, and the ability to line up all over the DL. You can never have enough disruptors on your DL.

5. Diontae Johnson WR Toledo

Johnson has some Antonio Brown to his game. Both the good and the bad. At 5'10" 183, he's undersized and needs to get stronger. He also has some diva in him, and I felt his effort wasn't as strong or consistent this year as it was last year (when he had a better team and QB). That all said, Johnson is a twitchy athlete who is a skilled returner and a WR with a lot of upside. He disappointed me with his agility testing in the Combine, but it's hard to overlook how quick and twitchy he is on tape. Johnson is a creative route runner who can create a lot of separation at the break point. He needs to polish up his route running and work on his strength through contact, but you see flashes of Antonio Brown's creativity, ability to finish in traffic, and twitched-up quickness. Johnson is going to need time to develop at WR, but he can contribute immediately as a KR and PR.

6. Travis Homer HB Miami

I like a good number of HBs in this class, but Homer is my favorite Day 3 sleeper. He's a small HB (5'10" 205) who runs like he's 6'2" 250. Homer has the quickness, vision, athleticism, and physicality to be an effective NFL HB. However, I wouldn't want him to be the bellcow with his running style. It'll be hard for him to hold up with how physical he is. Nevertheless, where I see the real potential in Homer is as a passing-game HB. He's a physical, skilled, and gifted blocker who has the quickness, speed, and route running chops to be a dangerous receiving threat. In past years, he had some drop issues, but he cleaned that up this year. I think of him like I did Phillip Lindsay last year. Yes, he's undersized, but he's such a good and tenacious all-around HB that he'll provide quality snaps somewhere.

7. Khalil Hodge LB Buffalo

I would be lying if I said that his Pro Day didn't trouble me. He tested terribly. I knew he was a limited athlete, but I didn't think he was that limited. That all said, I'd still take Hodge late on Day 3. He is a bad athlete, but he's also a really good football player. His work ethic and intangibles are through the roof. He has the best play recognition skills, instincts, and angles in this class. He's a highly productive three-year starter. He's a reliable tackler. He's big, strong, and physical enough to fight through blocks. He rarely makes the wrong decisions or takes false steps at ILB. Basically, he's smart, disciplined, and skilled. Yes, he's not going to be able to run sideline to sideline. Yes, he's going to struggle if you put him in man coverage. But he's plenty capable in zone. Hodge has his limitations, but if you can find a way to cover some of his weaknesses, he's such a good football player that I think he can be a productive starter.

Those are what I have for now. I have a long list of small-school guys whom I plan to evaluate in the next few weeks. I might add a few more names to this list.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'll go mostly with the smaller school guys who had high SPARQ scores as my 'sleepers', with a few notable exceptions ...

OT/OG - Joshua Miles, Morgan St.

OT/OG - Iosua Opeta, Weber St.

OT - Trey Pipkins, Sioux Falls

S - Darnell Savage Jr., Md.

SS - Juan Thornhill, Va. *

FS - Sheldrick Redwine, Mi.

RB - Alexander Mattison, Boise St.

RB - Darrell Henderson, Memphis

DT - Trysten Hill, Central Fl.

TE - Foster Moreau, LSU

CB - Corey Ballentine, Washburn

CB - Isaiah Johnson, Houston

CB - Sean Bunting, Central Fl.

Edge - Maxx Crosby, Eastern Mi.

Edge - Jamal Davis, Akron

ILB - Cody Barton, Ut.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll go mostly with the smaller school guys who had high SPARQ scores as my 'sleepers', with a few notable exceptions ...

OT/OG - Joshua Miles, Morgan St.

OT/OG - Iosua Opeta, Weber St.

OT - Trey Pipkins, Sioux Falls

S - Darnell Savage Jr., Md.

SS - Juan Thornhill, Va. *

FS - Sheldrick Redwine, Mi.

RB - Alexander Mattison, Boise St.

RB - Darrell Henderson, Memphis

RB - Jerick McKinnon, Georgia Southern

DT - Trysten Hill, Central Fl.

TE - Foster Moreau, LSU

CB - Corey Ballentine, Washburn

CB - Isaiah Johnson, Houston

CB - Sean Bunting, Central Fl.

Edge - Maxx Crosby, Eastern Mi.

Edge - Jamal Davis, Akron

ILB - Cody Barton, Ut.

I think you're a few years too late on McKinnon. ;)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
@jrry32 - I was curious if you have seen much tape on Virginia's S Juan Thornhill and whether you thought it matched his Combine performance and his over the top Sparq scores ?

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I'm an Oregon Ducks homer so I'm going to go with Justin Hollins, edge rusher/3-4 OLB. The guys was a big play maker his entire career @ UO even though the defensive coaching at times really stunk. He also ran a 4.5 40 at the combine. At the very least he'd make a great special teams player.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Most of these guys are "On the board" so to speak. There's only 3 or 4 on your list who I would consider "sleepers", regardless of what school they come from.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I like....

LB - BJ Blount - McNeese St.

LB - Bobby Okereke Stanford

Edge - Derick Roberson Sam Houston St.

Edge - Ronheen Bingham Arkansas St.

WR - Jesper Horster Princeton

CB - Jordan Wyatt SMU

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Put your sleeper up here. You know, that one player that you in your vast and unappreciated football genius are the only one in the universe to know about. :p

I'm sure this one will provide some laughs post-draft. Here's mine:

Ben Banogu, Edge, TCU

He fits all the criteria that I think the Rams have been gunning for... He's the right size (6'3" and 250ish like Ebu was), excellent athlete with a lot of physical strength and upside, can play different spots potentially, and impressed a lot of coaches during the Senior Bowl. TCU was scheme heavy vs teaching them a lot of technique, so he's a guy our staff can levy with their proven system of teaching.

Ok so he blew up the combine and isn't exactly a big secretive sleeper. Sue me. I'm just a dude with a can of bud in my hand trying to figure out how to fit my easy chair under my computer desk.

Good post. I was watching some of Banogu's tape last night. His testing at the combine was also favorable. However, I'm not sure the Rams already similar players already on the roster in Ebukam & Okoronkwo.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Late round prospect who may perform better than his draft position -

Oli Udoh - OT

Mammoth right tackle prospect with intriguing developmental traits as both a run blocker and in pass protection. Udoh lacks the quickness for move-blocking duties but has power to generate push against opponents in front of him. There are exploitable holes in his pass sets for the NFL, but his size, length and potential for improvement in that phase are worthy of taking a shot on as a Day 3 draft-and-develop prospect that might require a year on the practice squad.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Late round prospect who may perform better than his draft position -

Oli Udoh - OT

Mammoth right tackle prospect with intriguing developmental traits as both a run blocker and in pass protection. Udoh lacks the quickness for move-blocking duties but has power to generate push against opponents in front of him. There are exploitable holes in his pass sets for the NFL, but his size, length and potential for improvement in that phase are worthy of taking a shot on as a Day 3 draft-and-develop prospect that might require a year on the practice squad.

He's got a hell of a wing span at 85.125". Potential small school late round swing OT/OG.

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
He's got a hell of a wing span at 85.125". Potential small school late round swing OT/OG.
Yeah, agreed. I just think with a bit of time with Kromer this kid (can you call someone that big a kid? :)) can develop into a solid RG at worst. At best, he is someone who can step up at RT to replace Hav when the need arises. Rd 6-7 would be a steal.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah, agreed. I just think with a bit of time with Kromer this kid (can you call someone that big a kid? :)) can develop into a solid RG at worst. At best, he is someone who can step up at RT to replace Hav when the need arises. Rd 6-7 would be a steal.

The front page 7 round mock on draftsite.com has him currently projected in the 5'th rd.

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2019/

Sporting News :
Oli Udoh, T, Elon

Udoh's size alone stands out. The 6-5, 356-pound tackle started in every game for the Phoenix in the FCS the last four seasons. The team allowed just 16 sacks. He's just tough to get around, and a week of facing some elite pass-rushing talent will add to the curiosity factor.

Last edited:

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
The front page 7 round mock on draftsite.com has him currently projected in the 5'th rd.

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2019/

That wouldn't surprise me. He may slip to the 6th which would be great value. Going in the 5th is perhaps a touch too high as he has some technique issues that need addressing but the potential is there. He's a huge individual and I guess teams will back themselves to tap that potential if they choose to go that way in the 5th.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Jalen Hurd - Baylor/Tenn - switched schools which always screws with a player’s stats and continuity. A 6’5” former RB with 10.5” hands, power, 4.4 speed, and the ability to battle through DBs. With Gurley being a question mark and Brown not really a #1 back, Hurd potentially fills that role as a multi-threat player. He’s a big bodied Swiss Army knife that could play multiple roles and be a red zone threat with a coach like McVay.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2. Easton Stick QB North Dakota State

He's only 6'1" 225 with a very average arm. He's coming from a FCS program (North Dakota State). He had great talent around him (for the FCS level). However, my gut is telling me that Stick is going to surprise a lot of people in the NFL. He's a great athlete at QB (4.6 40 with elite times in the agility drills) who is extremely elusive in the pocket and dangerous as a scrambler. Moreover, where he truly stands out to me is in the intangibles department. Stick is tough as nails, a winner, very intelligent, and seems dedicated to his craft. He has the best play-action fake in this Draft and is used to playing under center in a play-action heavy pro-style offense. He also shows the mental processing speed and field vision to succeed in the NFL. He's a bit of a streaky rhythm passer at QB, but when he's on, he's really, really good. I think he's an exceptionally good fit in our system.

ND State does a great job preparing their QBs for the NFL with their scheme and coaching, too. Which means for a guy who's a backup type talent teams might see him as a cost effective possibility for them vs paying a vet. And lastly our system historically is easy on the soft armed types, although McVay does like to stretch the field when he's got a QB with a gun.