DR RAM's Exam of Raven's Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
It was like he was surprised he was playing. Looked absolutely unprepared and unpolished.
I take no pleasure in agreeing but I agree. No progression in the 4 years Mannion has been on the Rams from what I can see.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On defense:

Opening the game at MLB, Hager played well. He was quick to recognize the plays, and shed blocks. #98 Ryan Davis got a run, early in the game, listed as our 3rd string OLB, and what stood out, was how well he set the edge, early in the game. It showed good discipline. He forced runs to go inside, where Hager usually made the tackle.

On a pass play to Crabtree, #24 Blake Countess sniffed it out, and impacted Crab as he tried to catch the ball, jarring it out on the sideline. #41 Marqui Christian was there also, showing good range. On the next play, a run, Davis sets the edge again, Hager, and Joseph-Day clog their gaps, and #52 Ramik Wilson takes a good angle to make the tackle, but flying in from out of the screen, Christian makes the low tackle. There wasa penalty on the play for a chop block, which moved the Ravens back.

Ravens come out in a double slot formation, and Ramik's man makes a fake to the outside, then beats Wilson badly to the inside, but he chases down the reciever to make the tackle, along with Countess, and Marqui showing up, just in case.

Flacco gets flushed, and it allow Crabrtree to to bust his route, and he takes it deep, Troy Hill got caught looking, Completed pass, what was strange, but it appeard as about 5 guys all tried to pass rush through the same gap, must have been a major miscommunication there.

New st of downs, and Flacco wants to throw a flare pass to B. Allen, bur R. Wilson had great coverage on him, so Flacco threw it away. On the Ram 15 #53 Lawler is in playing in a wide 8 stance, and the Ravens pulling his way try to run the ball. Hager fills where they want to run, but the Lawler sheds the pulling block from the TE, and he makes the tackle for a minimum gain. So, it's 3 - 7 now, and I think they are in Gun formation, Ebukam has a nice power rush from the right side, and the OLT just absolutely mauls him, should have been an easy flag,

#98 Ryan Davis, back in, gets nice pressure from the other side, and Flacco rushes, and throws, incomplete.
There was a late flag thrown on the play, and it was out of frame, but they called Troy Hill with hands to the face, Hill looks miffed, and there was no replay. Makes it first and goal. Ravens spread the formation, and run the oldest play in the book, a pass in the flat to the FB, who was wide open. I couldn't tell who was responsible on the play, as the Ravens ran crosses, and picks, good play by them. TD.

Next series. #46 Tegray Scales makes a nice inside solo tackle, stuffing the runner. Passing play, and just in #49 Trevon Young lining up at OLB, had a nice pressure. Lamar Jackson is flushed, and Young chases him down, just an outstanding play, and show of athleticism by Young, who is listed at 6'4" 260 lbs. This play blew me away. Run play next, and #r46 Scales makes a nice tackle from opposite side of field, showing some wheels. Also showing wheels, there's that man again, Young is in on the play, Quite a debut series for the young man.

Pass play, out of shotgun, and #59 Kiser blitzes and gets a QB hit. He is in there quickly. #95 Westbrooks looked good on the play, as did #53 Lawler. End of half.

3Q Defense:

Just some notes really, as I am wearing out. Lawler makes 2 good plays in a row. Kiser is always around the ball, and is showing great instincts, play recognition, and quickness. Rams get the ball back. Next series, #46 Scales missed an open field tackle, but it didn't cost us. I was focusing mostly on good plays, and noticed, even though Ramon Richards gave up a huge play, the coverage was textbook. I also noticed Richard's on ST, almost always making the first block for JoJo Natson.

The 4th Q was almost all Rams on offense.

What got me most excited about the defense, although he only played very limited snaps, Trevon Howard looks like he could be a beast. Kiser, and Lawler flashed. Scales made some nice plays. Hager was solid. Westbrooks looked very good in limited snaps. Ebukam looked solid, and effective. Davis sets a hard edge. Christian was around the ball a lot. Countess was on point. Hill had an off game, and the Ravens were actually picking on him, wherever he was lined up.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I fucked that up, Trevon YOUNG, is who I am really excited about on defense, but there were other guys. Kiser, really stood out, on ST, and defense. Kiser will be an NFL player for very long. Young, only got a few snaps. but he really stood out, in my mind. He stood out in a great way.

There were other, really solid NFL types, as rookies, to be impressed with. Overall. it appears as if we drafted extremely well. On the limb....... feeling solid.

I hope that the Rams, didn't think, in 4 -6 plays that Young could slip through to the PS. He won't, IMO, and even if it take a couple years, which I don't think it will, he will be worth protecting. I bet my life on it.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks DR RAM! I appreciate the insight.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thanks DR RAM! I appreciate the insight.
THANK YOU. Anyone you are interested in? Offense, defense, a college? Be happy to share/shat my opinions.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Trevon Howard, and Joseph Noteboom, are my two most hopeful future all-star Rams. In one pre-season game, they stood out, to me. Other players played very well. I was very impressed. These two, looked like future great players. Again, on a limb. not super highly drafted, but shit stood out. May change, it was only my first look, but you can only have one first look.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
THANK YOU. Anyone you are interested in? Offense, defense, a college? Be happy to share/shat my opinions.
Kiser, but my untrained eye already tells me he's a keeper and soon to be starter. I would like to hear your thoughts on what Scott Frost will do with the Cornhuskers?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kiser, but my untrained eye already tells me he's a keeper and soon to be starter. I would like to hear your thoughts on what Scott Frost will do with the Cornhuskers?
LOL Kiser was VERY impressive. He, maybe the quickest to diagnose, and react to plays. Close to only Hager that played. Man, if Kiser was only, say a year in an NFL pro-training program, if hes committed, then I'd have no doubts, but he was super impressive to me. One of the top 5 debut players for the Rams this year. He will, easily make the team. He will be a stud on the special teams, this year. He is fast, and plays so. He's a 4.5 to 4.6 guy, which is very fast for a linebacker, but Kiser, also, diagnosis plays very fast. I have very high hopes for him.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
That was a great post. thank you so much for taking the time to write that up. I have to agree with you on Young, I was very impressed with him and Kiser. The player that's going to make me eat crow is Lawler. I gave hime zero chance of making the roster. Looks like he's going yo prove me wrong.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That was a great post. thank you so much for taking the time to write that up. I have to agree with you on Young, I was very impressed with him and Kiser. The player that's going to make me eat crow is Lawler. I gave hime zero chance of making the roster. Looks like he's going yo prove me wrong.
Yeah, I had no expectations for him, but Lawler, looked like a seasoned pro. He played under control, and at a high level, every snap he had. I could see him as a long time pro. I don't see him as an all-star. I could be wrong. He played very well for a rook.

TexasRam

Legend
Good Review.

I studied the Oline on tape replay and here is what i observed:

Brian Allen was getting manhandled on several occasions.

Notebloom looked solid, very
quick on his feet.

Neary and Lucas struggled bad.

Eldrenkamp was very solid.

Williams was OK.

Bemby was very impressive both at guard and tackle.

Jamon Brown and Blythe were very solid as usual.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Good Review.

quick on his feet.

Williams was OK.

Neary struggle bad early, but he recovered and played very well, IMO. Unexpected, because he was bad early.

Demby was very impressive both at guard and tackle.

IMO, J. Brown, didn't compete, he was there, but didn't finish. This upsets me as a competitive dude. When you play, regardless of time, or snaps, you finish. Neary played well, after struggling early.

Eldrencamp, limited snaps, played OK, but nothing stood out. B. Allen, IMO, got manhandled on only one occasion, and it was bad. Agree, Williams was OK, which is better than last season, he competed. I agree, Demby looked solid, wherever he played. Weird body type, super nimble feet. Can only get better, in my estimation.

Blythe missed one assignment, but looked very good despite that.

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Thanks @DR RAM great breakdown, especially as I've not seen the game. I'm not concerned with the scoreline TBH, this was a reccie for McVay IMO - I'm going to trawl the net to catch up on the game now :)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Yeah, I had no expectations for him, but Lawler, looked like a seasoned pro. He played under control, and at a high level, every snap he had. I could see him as a long time pro. I don't see him as an all-star. I could be wrong. He played very well for a rook.
Thanks for all the details you have provided--- I am not looking at the D at all....great to hear about all the guys we have flying around. Some will hit--we drafted so many guys with special abilities...are any of them 3 down guys? Maybe not, but either way the train is going very, very well.

All that said: the only thing that will stop this team (other than injuries) is the O line. I am concerned about all 5 making it through the year....and J Brown being lackedasical in a contract year is very wierd.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thanks for all the details you have provided--- I am not looking at the D at all....great to hear about all the guys we have flying around. Some will hit--we drafted so many guys with special abilities...are any of them 3 down guys? Maybe not, but either way the train is going very, very well.

All that said: the only thing that will stop this team (other than injuries) is the O line. I am concerned about all 5 making it through the year....and J Brown being lackedasical in a contract year is very wierd.
Maybe Brown was trying to avoid injury, I don't know. I think a few of these guys could be 3 down guys, just have to see more of them, the snaps were really broken up for the defensive guys.We haven't even sen Franklin-Myers yet, and all we have heard has been good stuff. If he, and Young both pan out, then we are looking really good on the outside. Big dude's who can run. I'm pretty darn excited about this draft class, so far.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Good Review.

quick on his feet.

Williams was OK.

Bemby was very impressive both at guard and tackle.

I thought Allen played a little better than you did, but we really saw this pretty close. Overall, I was pretty happy with what I saw, especially Noteboom, and Demby for rookies.