DR RAM's Exam of Raven's Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Here we go. I am just going to call it, as I've examined it, straight up, good and bad.

First look:

Rams were not prepared to go against a motivated, and determined team in the Ravens, who not only got their butt kicked all week, but had to hear about it, in the media. Bring in John Harbaugh, who happens to believe in game planning, and putting a larger premium in winning, than evaluating, and we have a drastic conflict in preseason coaching philosophy.

Keep in mind, this is the Ravens second preseason game, and they, because of playing in the Hall of Fame Game, started practice before most teams. Now, all the disclaimers behind us, here we go.

The Rams were pretty anemic with Mannion at the helm, and all in all, they only started two players who expect to see significant time during the regular season. These two players, were still limited to an equivalent of 1Q, or less playing time. The starting offense consisted of OLT- D. Williams, OLG - Neary, C - Blythe, ORG - J. Brown, and ORT - C. Lucas. The TE was Hemingway, most of the first half.

The OL was out of sync, most of the the 1st Q. Opening the drive, Mannion rushes to complete a 4 yd pass to M. Thomas. Next, a run play to M. Brow, J, Brown doesn't finish his block. 1 yd gain. 3 - 5 from the gun, and quick crossing route to Reynolds, who was wide open for a 1st down. Drilling down, D. Williams blocks Suggs on a speed rush, and M. Brown picks up a LB blitz.

1- 10, run play to 2 hole, and again, J. Brown doesn't maintain his block, and Lucas gets pulled into the muck, because the DE, held, and pulled his facemask the whole play. Hemingway hits the hole, but doesn't really block anybody. Another mistake on the play, is that Blythe doesn't establish the correct outside shade, allowing his man into the play.

2 - 10 On a very nice designed play to our TE, Hemingway is clearly looking to run, before he catches it.

3 -10 Judon, easily beats Lucas with a speed rush, and defeats his hands without much effort, and he sacks Mannion. Neary, also falls on his ass, giving up inside pressure. Punt. Kiser first man on coverage.

Next offensive drive:

Nice Davis run, new OL, OLT - Noteboom, OLG Eldrencamp, C - Allen, ORG - Blythe, ORT - Demby. Davis has a really nice pass/pro diving pickup in this series. This OL was very effective. Mannion was not. Noteboom had a nice combo block, and Hemingway is very effective blocking downfield.

2nd half OL consisted of OLT - Lucas, OLG - Demby, C- Neary, ORG - Allen, ORT - Williams. TE - Mundt. OL, good push, Allen, good leverage. Neary, a little too upright. Lucas looks way better at OLT, than ORT, but he's a little too hands on.

The sack D. Williams gave up was not his fault, IMO, the right side was overloaded, and the Ravens also ran a delayed LB stunt/blitz. Kelly picked up inside in pass/pro. Williams looked pretty good in this series.

3Q

Demby still at OLG, he had nobody rushing on pass play, so he he helped Lucas. just a good smart play by him. He was impressive all night. Krieger-Coble is in now, and he picks up a good block. B. Allen is at QB, and he looks confident, and is communicating well. #13 F. Brown shows out well for a couple plays in a row, one for blocking, and one, for catching the ball.

On Kelly's best run, Neary had the block that sprung him. The whole OL blocked well, and Mitchell Jr. had a very nice downfield block. Same, OL, as above. Lucas, Demby, Neary, Allen, and Williams.

4th Q.

Noteboom, Kolone, Neary, Eldrencamp, and Demby. Mixing it up. Demby, and Neary have key blocks on this drive.Krieger-Coble, and Hemingway continue to block well.

Notes:

Noteboom is a stud, and our future OLT, IMO. He may take J. Brown's spot, but Blythe, Demby, and Allen also played well throughout the game. Williams played better than advertised. Neary played a few positions, and struggled at first, but then, against lesser competition, played very well. He's a better guard than Center.

JoJo was outstanding in returning the whole game. Davis and Kelly are both NFL caliber running backs. B. Allen looked good. Hemingway will have a chance to make it. The last WR spot is going to be a tough call.

I'm tired, defensive notes tomorrow. Any questions?

Last edited:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Great stuff, there were too many mistakes, but I'm not concerned about talent. Draft picks all look like good investments for the future

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nice work, I was wondering where all the Baltimore reports of the Ravens getting their but kicked in the practices are? I read a few reports out of Baltimore and they seemed to think things were pretty even with scattered applause for players on both teams.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Here we go. I am just going to call it, as I've examined it, straight up, good and bad.

First look:

Rams were not prepared to go against a motivated, and determined team in the Ravens, who not only got their butt kicked all week, but had to hear about it, in the media. Bring in John Harbaugh, who happens to believe in game planning, and putting a larger premium in winning, than evaluating, and we have a drastic conflict in preseason coaching philosophy.

Keep in mind, this is the Ravens second preseason game, and they, because of playing in the Hall of Fame Game, started practice before most teams. Now, all the disclaimers behind us, here we go.

The Rams were pretty anemic with Mannion at the helm, and all in all, they only started two players who expect to see significant time during the regular season. These two players, were still limited to an equivalent of 1Q, or less playing time. The starting offense consisted of OLT- D. Williams, OLG - Neary, C - Blythe, ORG - J. Brown, and ORT - C. Lucas. The TE was Hemingway, most of the first half.

The OL was out of sync, most of the the 1st Q. Opening the drive, Mannion rushes to complete a 4 yd pass to M. Thomas. Next, a run play to M. Brow, J, Brown doesn't finish his block. 1 yd gain. 3 - 5 from the gun, and quick crossing route to Reynolds, who was wide open for a 1st down. Drilling down, D. Williams blocks Suggs on a speed rush, and M. Brown picks up a LB blitz.

1- 10, run play to 2 hole, and again, J. Brown doesn't maintain his block, and Lucas gets pulled into the muck, because the DE, held, and pulled his facemask the whole play. Hemingway hits the hole, but doesn't really block anybody. Another mistake on the play, is that Blythe doesn't establish the correct outside shade, allowing his man into the play.

2 - 10 On a very nice designed play to our TE, Hemingway is clearly looking to run, before he catches it.

3 -10 Judon, easily beats Lucas with a speed rush, and defeats his hands without much effort, and he sacks Mannion. Neary, also falls on his ass, giving up inside pressure. Punt. Kiser first man on coverage.

Next offensive drive:

Nice Davis run, new OL, OLT - Noteboom, OLG Eldrencamp, C - Allen, ORG - Blythe, ORT - Demby. Davis has a really nice pass/pro diving pickup in this series. This OL was very effective. Mannion was not. Noteboom had a nice combo block, and Hemingway is very effective blocking downfield.

2nd half OL consisted of OLT - Lucas, OLG - Demby, C- Neary, ORG - Allen, ORT - Williams. TE - Mundt. OL, good push, Allen, good leverage. Neary, a little too upright. Lucas looks way better at OLT, than ORT, but he's a little too hands on.

The sack D. Williams gave up was not his fault, IMO, the right side was overloaded, and the Ravens also ran a delayed LB stunt/blitz. Kelly picked up inside in pass/pro. Williams looked pretty good in this series.

3Q

Demby still at OLG, he had nobody rushing on pass play, so he he helped Lucas. just a good smart play by him. He was impressive all night. Krieger-Coble is in now, and he picks up a good block. B. Allen is at QB, and he looks confident, and is communicating well. #13 F. Brown shows out well for a couple plays in a row, one for blocking, and one, for catching the ball.

On Kelly's best run, Neary had the block that sprung him. The whole OL blocked well, and Mitchell Jr. had a very nice downfield block. Same, OL, as above. Lucas, Demby, Neary, Allen, and Williams.

4th Q.

Noteboom, Kolone, Neary, Eldrencamp, and Demby. Mixing it up. Demby, and Neary have key blocks on this drive.Krieger-Coble, and Hemingway continue to block well.

Notes:

Noteboom is a stud, and our future OLT, IMO. He may take J. Brown's spot, but Blythe, Demby, and Allen also played well throughout the game. Williams played better than advertised. Neary played a few positions, and struggled at first, but then, against lesser competition, played very well. He's a better guard than Center.

JoJo was outstanding in returning the whole game. Davis and Kelly are both NFL caliber running backs. B. Allen looked good. Hemingway will have a chance to make it. The last WR spot is going to be a tough call.

Good job DR

It cannot be overstated that Balt really gameplanned this effort and the Rams did not, leaving the youngsters to block vanilla plays against 5-6 man rushes.

Both QB’s had lots of pressure from overloads on 2nd and 3rd downs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good job DR

It cannot be overstated that Balt really gameplanned this effort and the Rams did not, leaving the youngsters to block vanilla plays against 5-6 man rushes.

Both QB’s had lots of pressure from overloads on 2nd and 3rd downs.
Yeah. Normally, when you have joint practices, and then play a preseason game, you agree to gentleman's terms, like, "Please don't hurt my future franchise QB", etc. Doesn't matter, we started our 3's and 4's. That is how good, and deep we are now. We don't have a lot of spots open, but McVay is looking to find those last handful.

It's not how much money they put into it, but rather, is the work done the right way. No disrespect, but send me pics if you can, and I'll try to be an advocate for you.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Noteboom is a stud, and our future OLT, IMO. He may take J. Brown's spot, but Blythe, Demby, and Allen also played well throughout the game.

So, Is Notebloom "strong" enough--we know he has the feet?? How is his intensity?

THanks for your analysis and work on this.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

So, Is Notebloom "strong" enough--we know he has the feet?? How is his intensity?

THanks for your analysis and work on this.
I think he is ready to play now. He might have some rookie mistakes, but he's a big strong, athletic guy. He can only get better if he puts in the work. I can't laud him enough...he's the real deal at a bargain price. Not a finished product, but I have a comparison in mind. I, really believe he could start in Brown's absence, but they may rather keep him, as the swing.

We haven't been able to see that with this coaching group. Very few injuries last year, fewest in NFL, at the OL position. Fish would have kept him available, but on the active, only for an OT absence. McVay, just might start him, at ORG, and then switch him to OT, if an injury occurs, and then bring in Blythe, or Demby...etc., at guard, depending on how things go.

Best 5 mentality.....just don't know yet, with this staff.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
@Rambo , that is my surname. Is it yours?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think this will prove to be a very profitable draft for the Rams considering they did not have a pick until the 3rd round. They picked up some valuable pieces for the OL.

…..

Legend
Thanks @DR RAM

I believe two drives in a row, Mannion went to Pharaoh Cooper on 3rd down. I dont know if we consider him a starter, but he's in the conversation based on the formation we run and also on his return duties.

The first sack on Mannion, awful awareness by the running back who was Brown I believe. That side was stacked, any untrained eye could see the overload yet for some strange reason Brown drifted to the middle to find someone to block, completey unaware there was a guy right in front of him the entire time. That was extremely dissapointing to me because its a pre-snap recognition fail and now I'm wondering.."What else could we be missing?"

Bothersome about Mannion....he did not appear to have any confidence after the slow start. He didnt show that he was downtrodden or anything either. It was kinda like the old Bradford we had....shell shocked and emotionless with far away eyes. At least when Allen came in, there was a little pep.

I'm not dissapointed too much in the Ravens and Harbough being prepared to win so much as I am with the Raven defensive stunts when the game was clearly out of our grasp. Out of respect for the game and for the Rams, I would have called of the dogs. Everyone needs to work on thier playbook and thier execution. And it seemed to me the Ravens were a bit too delighted in themselves when they made a play. I'm sure Mcvay will remember this when it comes to scheduling joint practices next year...pretty much like the Cowboys dont want to practice with us.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thanks @DR RAM

I believe two drives in a row, Mannion went to Pharaoh Cooper on 3rd down. I dont know if we consider him a starter, but he's in the conversation based on the formation we run and also on his return duties.

The first sack on Mannion, awful awareness by the running back who was Brown I believe. That side was stacked, any untrained eye could see the overload yet for some strange reason Brown drifted to the middle to find someone to block, completey unaware there was a guy right in front of him the entire time. That was extremely dissapointing to me because its a pre-snap recognition fail and now I'm wondering.."What else could we be missing?"

Bothersome about Mannion....he did not appear to have any confidence after the slow start. He didnt show that he was downtrodden or anything either. It was kinda like the old Bradford we had....shell shocked and emotionless with far away eyes. At least when Allen came in, there was a little pep.

I'm not dissapointed too much in the Ravens and Harbough being prepared to win so much as I am with the Raven defensive stunts when the game was clearly out of our grasp. Out of respect for the game and for the Rams, I would have called of the dogs. Everyone needs to work on thier playbook and thier execution. And it seemed to me the Ravens were a bit too delighted in themselves when they made a play. I'm sure Mcvay will remember this when it comes to scheduling joint practices next year...pretty much like the Cowboys dont want to practice with us.
I know the play you are referring to, and I believe that a more cohesive team, would have been able to execute a positive play in the same situation. Enough blame to spread around on that one.

BTW, I think Cooper could/should be considered a starter.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Very nice @DR RAM .

Thanks for taking the time to review and bring us this nice write up.

I'm all in on Noteboom. You could see it in camp. He holds up well in all the positions he is put in. I guess we can give him a pass on the two false starts in a row, rookie jitters.

D. Williams I am surprised at your analysis. I don't see the quality in him and with the new rooks showing more upside, I feel his days may be numbered. But alas, what do I know? I am nowhere close to being an NFL quality position coach.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Excellent post.
Curious, did Noteboom play any other positions besides LT? Noticed others moved around on the OL, not sure if Noteboom did also.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Very nice @DR RAM .

Thanks for taking the time to review and bring us this nice write up.

I'm all in on Noteboom. You could see it in camp. He holds up well in all the positions he is put in. I guess we can give him a pass on the two false starts in a row, rookie jitters.

D. Williams I am surprised at your analysis. I don't see the quality in him and with the new rooks showing more upside, I feel his days may be numbered. But alas, what do I know? I am nowhere close to being an NFL quality position coach.
Everyone, in this game specifically, remembers a big hit on the QB. I think the play was unblockable. Currently, I don't have Williams making the roster, but he does look improved from the previous couple of years. He works on his craft, and he competes. I, probably give a couple bonus points for that.

Magic 8-Ball, will Williams make the roster? Answer: , The future is unclear.....

I hate that magic 8-ball. Honestly, he played better than I expected, and way better than most who crucified him. Lucas, about the same. If you could meld the two, you'd have a Pro -Bowler. No worries, Noteboom, will bridge the gap, and be the future, as long as he keeps working, evolving.

OK. really gonna lay down now, and try to get a few. I have some positive defensive notes, that I'd like to convey.

RamWoodie

Legend
Really I don't make much of the game. It's obvious McVay wasn't too concerned with winning the game as much as getting a look at talent.

Seems to me the time too really look at where the team is *maybe* the first half of Texans game.