Dotson and a contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well the point was that’s not how the Rams have typically handled their FA’s, and in fact there philosophy in many ways this off season will be atypical to what we’ve seen.
That's not how they've handled their free agents that they've wanted to pay for, that is. Usually if the Rams expect you back, you get your deal beforehand. That might say something about how the Dotson and Shelton negotiations are going.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That's not how they've handled their free agents that they've wanted to pay for, that is. Usually if the Rams expect you back, you get your deal beforehand. That might say something about how the Dotson and Shelton negotiations are going.
They might be tired of carting huge amounts of dead money (via Goff and Gurley and Floyd and Miller). I'm all for "don't overpay" but sometimes you have to do that. Not for a G though. Overpay Kupp. Overpay Donald. Overpay Stafford. Don't overpay your RG. The highest paid guard is the guy from Indianapolis? When was the last time they were in a Superbowl?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wow. 17 pages and no real news. Carry on. I mostly wanted to post so I could go back to where I left it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Jackson has already said he won't play OG. LT is the highest paid OL position and that is all he wants to play. This is why Noteboom who just wanted to start was willing to move. So it's why I see a tender year coming for Jackson who would need to play a lights out year like Dotson did at RG to be extended at the money he wants.

This is why the Rams will draft a LT this year and might play him at RT to gain experience before moving him in 2025 to LT. That is assuming they don't want to pay Havenstein his $14.7M. They might see releasing Havenstein and Noteboom to clear what they need to sign Dotson and extend Shelton.

Jackson's technique was hit or miss all season which is to be expected. That said he must take the next step in development if he wants to stay. He needs to become more consistent. He needs to strengthen, improve his footwork and hand technique. It's why I don't see him as a lock to be their LT in 2025 and expect the Rams to hedge their bets with a LT in this coming draft.

Biggest needs:

Rd 1 QB1
Rd 2 CB
Rd 3 LT
Rd 4 traded for Dotson
Rd 5 Edge
Rd 5 RB
Rd 6 They should have 3 picks
Rd 7 They should have 3 picks
Jeez man. Do you just come up with this shit in your sleep? Can you show us all where Jackson said he would only play LT?

Opinions are great but just stop with this he said, a friend told me, I heard this from a reputable source...

It's actually ok to just have a thought or opinion without trying to act like you have insider information.

I wouldn't normally go after someone but almost EVERY one of your assertions or tips prove to be dead wrong.

Just post what you think. You don't have to try to back it up with shady "inside knowledge".

It seems to me you have a fairly good grasp at times but you screw that all up with saying things as if you're in the know when it is obviously not the case.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They might be tired of carting huge amounts of dead money (via Goff and Gurley and Floyd and Miller). I'm all for "don't overpay" but sometimes you have to do that. Not for a G though. Overpay Kupp. Overpay Donald. Overpay Stafford. Don't overpay your RG. The highest paid guard is the guy from Indianapolis? When was the last time they were in a Superbowl?
Completely agree. Love Dotson. But at his projected price, give me an edge rusher or a corner.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Completely agree. Love Dotson. But at his projected price, give me an edge rusher or a corner.
Do not disagree. However, will there be a high-end Edge or Corner available for a Big-$ deal?

Burns, Josh Allen, Sneed and Jaylon Johnson all figure to be tagged.

Hunter will be available but he will cost more than Dotson.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What leverage do they have? I think agents want to see what the +30M cap does to the marketplace.

BTW, I recall Floyd hitting the market and they resigned him when many thought he would go to SD with Staley.

They also "let" Miller hit the market and still tried to resign him, but failed. Again, the agents hold the cards.

Sure, they got Robinson done, but he wasn't going to be a first wave FA like Dotson or even Shelton.
Are you reading what I'm typing?
The philosophy this off season is going to be different than what we've been accustomed to, that's my point.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly
It's clearly a different philosophy, because McVay and Snead are always evolving, and frankly I'm here for it

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK. Per both Spotrac and OTC, the highest paid guards in the NFL are Quentin Nelson and Chris Lindstrom.
They both have contracts that average $20M-per-year, with a high of $48M guaranteed.

Say Dotson's reps want more.
The cap just saw a huge jump; and there are 8 or 9 teams with more than $50M of cap space right now.

Suppose Dotson's reps tell the Rams ... 'You want us to pass on at least seeing what other teams may offer? OK, it will cost you 5 years / $125M ($25M-per-year), with $70M guaranteed.'

Do you want the Rams to do that? I don't.

View: https://i.imgur.com/GchVpVP.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently the Rams are trying to figure a way to keep Noteboom. I’m guessing at a lower number.
If I'm Boom's agent, I play ball to keep talks going long enough that his roster bonus vests.
If they can work this out, I'd love to see the math on it. He basically would need to agree to play '25 for free because a swing tackle/back up OG is more of a 6-8 mill per year guy, nowhere near the 15 mill he's due

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Was there Dead-$ on Von Miller?
Not directly but if you remember after he went to Buffalo the Rams immediately signed Wagner and that ended up being dead money (including the wasted season he spent in L.A.). :sneaky: But yeah, I mis-spoke. I knew there were big hits though.
I think he meant Woods, shit ton left from his over pay
I remembered there was a lot of dead cap last year and should have written Ramsey (19.6 mil), Wagner (7.5) and Robinson (21.4 mil). But yeah, Woods had 11.9 mil.

So if you look at the dead money over the years (the big hits).....

2020: Cooks 21.8 ; Gurley 9.2
2021: Goff 24.7 ; Gurley 8.4
2022: Woods 11.9
2023: Robinson 21.5 ; Ramsey 19.6 ; Floyd 19.0 ; Wagner 7.5

I'd get tired of that shit too. Particularly with guys like Robinson. Hell Big Whit hasn't played since 2021 and the Rams have had dead money hits on him in 2022 and 2023. But of course, that kind of dead money is worth it. The big dead money hits for 2024 (so far) are Brian Allen (3.15 mil) and Logan Bruss (0.424 but at least he's still on the roster). Disgustingly like a gnat, Rochell is costing us 0.172! One question is 'will Noteboom become #1'?

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The largest cap hits for any OL from 2020-2024 is Brian Allen (3.15). Whit cost us 2.17 in 2022 and 2 mil in 2023. Bobby Evans 1.063 in 2022.

Psycho_X

Legend
Nobody wants to "overpay" for inside olineman until their QB is getting his ass kicked or on IR. This team doesn't make the playoffs with pressure in Stafford's face all game long. Compare 2022 to 2023 and tell me what you'd pay to have one version over another. And that's not even taking into account the road grading in the run game Dotson provided. Obviously there is a limit to the possible free agent madness that might happen but come on. Stafford's protection is the #1 priority for us to win another Super Bowl. I'd rather keep a known commodity than drafting someone and praying they don't get Stafford killed.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
There's that one too. Rams over paid guys religiously, now they arent. Philosophy change
Let's hope so. It helps immensely when you find guys like Ernest Jones, Turner and Young in the third, Kyren, Puka and Allen (I think the kid is going to shine in Higbee's absence) in the 5th. Who going to join that list this year?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not directly but if you remember after he went to Buffalo the Rams immediately signed Wagner and that ended up being dead money (including the wasted season he spent in L.A.). :sneaky: But yeah, I mis-spoke. I knew there were big hits though.

Actually, it was Allen Robinson who was signed right after Miller went to Buffalo; and Wagner was signed a couple weeks later but your thought is still the same.