Don't think Rams will draft ILB high

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just got to say one thing WTF....Reeder is being over looked like a mofo. Dude is getting better. But whatever, who am I to say that?...Stay tuned.

What. The. Fuck?

He couldn't even cover a geriatric frank gore.

Maybe trade him to Detroit.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
In our last playoff loss GB ran for 188 yards.

In our previous playoff loss the Patsies ran for 155 yards.

Whether it's by scheme, or personnel, soft run D's will get revealed in the playoffs.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Our Ilbs can cover wheel routes and flats. We lost to the Jets and Niners because of that.

I don’t think Reeder and Young did a good job at all. They were just “there” by default.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Team needs don't influence player availability.

The EDGE class may be deep with bodies, but it's weak at the top. Plus, many of these guys are DEs and not OLBs. And many don't fit the length requirement that was mentioned by Snead with Floyd.

Anyway, there is a chance that early on the best player on their board might be an off the ball linebacker too good to pass on. That coupled with the team hiring a new defensive coordinator whose past LBs offered a bit more speed makes it possible.

IMO, anything Howard provides the team should just be icing on the cake. Yes, he was injured last year, but the guy is entering his 4th season and hasn't done much of anything to date.

BTW, they raved about Kiser last off season, but, IMO, he was outplayed by Reeder.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In our previous playoff loss the Patsies ran for 155 yards.

This is very misleading. Our offense was completely inept and lost us the super bowl, not our rush defense. Our defense was not to blame 1% for that loss. They played their ass off all game and played more than well enough to win.

Also that entire playoff run in 2018 we did pretty well against the run with subpar LBs. Our DL was the reason. Suh, AD, Fowler, Brockers completely shut down Zeke and the Cowboys. We also held Kamara to 15 yds rushing in the NFCC. And we had a bad ILB core.

I just think ILBs in our specific scheme are a bit overrated. We should double down on the Edge or interior DL. Again its safe to assume our ILB improves a lot this year with the experience gained in 2020 plus the return of Howard. It's not like we have question marks there now. Kaiser and Howard could be a decent duo.

Shuie3225

Starter
IMO entering the 2021 season with a hole at OLB across from Floyd, especially when we know T Lewis cant stay healthy would be more detrimental than starting Howard/Kaiser/Reeder. Same with nickel CB. Our nickel CB is on the field more than our ILBs..having a hole there or relying on David Long who I think is an outside corner primarily wouldn't be smart. I just think these will be higher priorities but we'll see.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO entering the 2021 season with a hole at OLB across from Floyd, especially when we know T Lewis cant stay healthy would be more detrimental than starting Howard/Kaiser/Reeder. Same with nickel CB. Our nickel CB is on the field more than our ILBs..having a hole there or relying on David Long who I think is an outside corner primarily wouldn't be smart. I just think these will be higher priorities but we'll see.

Still goes back to team needs not influencing player availability and teams selecting players and not positions to me. I'd hope the Rams don't fall into the trap of trying to fill a so-called hole with a lesser rated player over a higher rated player who may not fill an immediate so-called need (Especially given the limited impact of most rookies). They might end up with the body at the position, but the hole remains. Holes need to be filled via free agency, IMO.

BTW, IMO, Hollins should be starting opposite Floyd if Lewis can't go or doesn't beat him out. He played well last year when given the chance. Okoronkwo was decent in spot duty, too.

Also, when the nickel CB comes in there is still an ILB on the field. One who is a liability in coverage. One could even argue that they need a replacement for all those snaps John Johnson had to play in the box due to the weakness at LB.

Shuie3225

Starter
Also, when the nickel CB comes in there is still an ILB on the field. One who is a liability in coverage. One could even argue that they need a replacement for all those snaps John Johnson had to play in the box due to the weakness at LB.

Yes but a lot of times when we go Nickel we use 3 safeties and 1 ILB. I think Fuller, and Burgess will be the primary deep safeties in these situations and Rapp will play down in the box. Nick Scott also flashed at times last year so he will get playing time. All reasons why we let JJ walk.

I actually think this will be more of our base set and will see more snaps than 2 ILB looks.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
This is very misleading. Our offense was completely inept and lost us the super bowl, not our rush defense. Our defense was not to blame 1% for that loss. They played their ass off all game and played more than well enough to win.

Also that entire playoff run in 2018 we did pretty well against the run with subpar LBs. Our DL was the reason. Suh, AD, Fowler, Brockers completely shut down Zeke and the Cowboys. We also held Kamara to 15 yds rushing in the NFCC. And we had a bad ILB core.

You'll not see me defend the Ram's miserable Damn offensive performance in that SB.

However, giving up 155 yards rushing, which was 22 yards more than the Ram's 22nd ranked run defense usually surrended to opponents that year (2018), is also a bottom of the NFL barrel performance by the Ram's run defense at a most inopportune time.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah I don't think so either. LB is another one of those low value positions these days.

More and more I'm thinking they go DL and corner early if the ones available are deemed good enough.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yes but a lot of times when we go Nickel we use 3 safeties and 1 ILB. I think Fuller, and Burgess will be the primary deep safeties in these situations and Rapp will play down in the box. Nick Scott also flashed at times last year so he will get playing time. All reasons why we let JJ walk.

I actually think this will be more of our base set and will see more snaps than 2 ILB looks.

But, my point is that the use of 3 safeties may have had to do with what they had at ILB.

BTW, Burgess may very well turn out to be the team's slot CB this year. He played both in college.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like Troy Reeder. Unfortunately, his speed limits him in pass coverage.
We all have limitations...one would hope that Reeder will have more help this season from fellow mates like Howard, Rapp & Kiser who were injured last season. That DC will limit his snaps in possible passing downs.

I am far from doing the negative on Reeder who is a developing UDFA who has been forced into starting his rookie season in 2019. Thank you Reeder for your effort!

I bet you that the 9ers would hope that Reeder is on the bench when they run the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I don't think so either. LB is another one of those low value positions these days.

More and more I'm thinking they go DL and corner early if the ones available are deemed good enough.
They do need a 5T. I think my dream draft starts out with Jamin Davis then Rashad Weaver. Davis is unlikely but if he's there boy howdy would he improve us. And Weaver can be moved around a bit if needed. Strong guy like him in our odd fronts would be great too.

Then Center. Which should be easy. Biggest needs would be filled, our defense would be FAR more stout for the playoffs. Only CB at that point and it's arguable if they like Burgess or Long in the slot which would make CB a Williams-replacement type need which is lower priority IMO.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
We all have limitations...one would hope that Reeder will have more help this season from fellow mates like Howard, Rapp & Kiser who were injured last season. That DC will limit his snaps in possible passing downs.

I am far from doing the negative on Reeder who is a developing UDFA who has been forced into starting his rookie season in 2019. Thank you Reeder for your effort!
Credit goes to Reeder for stepping in for injured players in both seasons. Maybe he improves this offseason, but as of right now count me in wanting an upgrade. He's better in run defense than in coverage, but he's not great at run D and with 17 missed tackles in about a full season played he's anything but a sure tackler. With the other 3 players missing significant time in 2 seasons the position overall is lacking.
I bet you that the 9ers would hope that Reeder is on the bench when they run the ball.
They're shaking in their boots

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They do need a 5T. I think my dream draft starts out with Jamin Davis then Rashad Weaver. Davis is unlikely but if he's there boy howdy would he improve us. And Weaver can be moved around a bit if needed. Strong guy like him in our odd fronts would be great too.

Then Center. Which should be easy. Biggest needs would be filled, our defense would be FAR more stout for the playoffs. Only CB at that point and it's arguable if they like Burgess or Long in the slot which would make CB a Williams-replacement type need which is lower priority IMO.

Yeah man I'm with you. Just depends what they think is most important. They didn't really lose anyone at LB that warrants a replacement. Maybe EDGE b/c of Samson.

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds I'm thinking DL and corner to replace MB and TH. I'm really expecting corner b/c this team loves their nickel corners. Besides, the other corners are Donte Deyon and Tyrique McGhee who just got suspended so...yeah. Bring one on.

4th - 7th it will be a OG/C guy, a runner (they need to replace Malcolm Brown) and then possibly another WR. It's probably not gonna be what people want/expect.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'm prepared for them to take a corner. Not the greatest need to my eye but you can't have enough of them and maybe they want the secondary to continue to be the strength of this defense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've never understood people diminishing the off ball LB position.

I'm not so sure you are asking the right question. I believe the problem may lie more with diminished resources than people thinking less of a particular position. Fans are looking for the biggest bang for the buck, and when we lose two key 5T's, one key CB, one key OLB, and a key DB on defense alone, allocating our mostly late draft picks becomes far more acute.
Only McSnead really knows how well our reserve developmental players at these positions are coming along and whether they can take that next step into a starting role, and then we must also prepare for which players may be lost to free agency following the season, so it's a delicate series of moves management must maneuver. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Been doing some sims with them not even drafting one at all. Picking up an Edge and CB or two (each) the rest OL and WR.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Yeah I'm prepared for them to take a corner. Not the greatest need to my eye but you can't have enough of them and maybe they want the secondary to continue to be the strength of this defense.
So if Williams for some reason goes down who do we have to start at CB along with Ramsey? Long and what else?