Dodgers trade for Mookie Betts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
It absolutely is a big risk. But the Dodgers feel comfortable with their ability to sign him plus for a team with a stacked lineup that we have and a stacked minor leagues giving up what we did isn't a problem and it doesn't kill us. Price in reality likely comes in as our #4 maybe 5 starter and we can live with that. This is likely what we field this coming season.

71l75s3.jpg
I see Taylor Hernandez and another player or two platooning in left field a lot.

And isn't Mookie a better right fielder? Wouldn't Bellinger be better off in center field and Mookie in right?

And that line up reminds me a lot of the Garvey Cey Smith Baker Russell Lopes Monday Yeager line-up with better power.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, the rich get richer. And you didn't give up any of your top prospects in Lux, May, and the two guys you got from the Reds.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I didn’t notice that but yes RF and CF will be swapped. As for Taylor and Hernandez I could see them being the two primary backups in the OF and getting time in left. I do however think Friedman likes those two in a reserve, he likes their ability to play all over. Another name to keep in mind is DJ Peters. He’s similar to Joc a big power bat with swing and miss tendencies but he was given his first spring training non roster invite. With this front office that’s a sign they are close to being ready.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the rich get richer. And you didn't give up any of your top prospects in Lux, May, and the two guys you got from the Reds.
We paid in other ways though. By allowing them to offload Price we lessened the prospects they got back. We’re also rolling the dice on a one year rental and gave up a former top prospect with 5 years of control. Maeda and Stripling are probably both equal to Price and cost less.

I‘m happy with the trade but there are risks.

Memento

Name
Jemma
We paid in other ways though. By allowing them to offload Price we lessened the prospects they got back. We’re also rolling the dice on a one year rental and gave up a former top prospect with 5 years of control. Maeda and Stripling are probably both equal to Price and cost less.

I‘m happy with the trade but there are risks.

True, but any time you get a former MVP who's still in his prime for the season...well, you're definitely going for winning. And like I mentioned, you're not giving up Lux or May, who are probably going to be studs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but any time you get a former MVP who's still in his prime for the season...well, you're definitely going for winning. And like I mentioned, you're not giving up Lux or May, who are probably going to be studs.
Our top 10 prospects are the same as before the trade.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Our top 10 prospects are the same as before the trade.

Yeah, honestly? Even if Betts leaves, you could probably replace him with someone else. You have the best prospect pool in the league, even above my Cards, as much as I hate to admit it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, honestly? Even if Betts leaves, you could probably replace him with someone else. You have the best prospect pool in the league, even above my Cards, as much as I hate to admit it.
The only prospect we traded was in rookie ball last year.

Memento

Name
Jemma
The only prospect we traded was in rookie ball last year.

I know, I know, I'm just saying that I think you made an excellent trade without giving much. Verdugo will be good, but Betts is already elite. Pederson, Maeda, and Stripling are easily replaceable with your farm.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know, I know, I'm just saying that I think you made an excellent trade without giving much. Verdugo will be good, but Betts is already elite. Pederson, Maeda, and Stripling are easily replaceable with your farm.
That's Andrew Friedman. The biggest irony in all this? The Sox tried to take him away from us when his contract lapsed and then he did this for us.

Memento

Name
Jemma
That's Andrew Friedman. The biggest irony in all this? The Sox tried to take him away from us when his contract lapsed and then he did this for us.

Yep. Friedman is awesome when it comes to scouting and building something from nothing. You got lucky getting him from Tampa.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. Friedman is awesome when it comes to scouting and building something from nothing. You got lucky getting him from Tampa.

He's been amazingly good at picking up undervalued prospects that other teams just don't want, for basically nothing, and having them become major league contributors. That's why I'm hopeful for the unnamed Angel prospects coming the Dodgers' way. I expect at least one of them to be useful, and for league minimum.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's been amazingly good at picking up undervalued prospects that other teams just don't want, for basically nothing, and having them become major league contributors. That's why I'm hopeful for the unnamed Angel prospects coming the Dodgers' way. I expect at least one of them to be useful, and for league minimum.
One of the best things he has done is put people in the minors to improve player development.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The trade is on hold - apparently the medical info on the prospect the Twins were supposed to send to the Red Sox isn't as good as they'd hoped.

Darn pitcher's health

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And now amid the backlash from trading Betts the Sox are balking at medicals and reports the Twins viewed him as only a reliever long term. Stuff they knew already afterwords they're panicking :)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And now amid the backlash from trading Betts the Sox are balking at medicals and reports the Twins viewed him as only a reliever long term. Stuff they knew already afterwords they're panicking :)

And one of the likely effects is that it will be tougher in the future for the Sox to make complicated trades because teams won't trust them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Red Sox have to be feeling pressure - they really want to avoid the luxury tax. The Dodgers would like to be under it, but would willingly go over it to improve their chances. Getting an inexpensive reliever/swingman who throws over 100 and a lottery ticket for Maeda would be a win for the Dodgers anyway, and it would put public pressure on the Red Sox while potentially leaving them above the luxury tax. The Dodgers are pretty good at knowing which prospects to bail on, so I wouldn't be too worried about who else they threw in.