Dodgers trade for Mookie Betts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Dodgers getting a great player! He was fun to watch. Gonna miss him in Boston but wish him well in LA.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Pederson for Rengifo portion seems to be separate - basically, the Dodgers don't need Pederson at this point, so get a prospect for him.

It looks like it's really Verdugo and Maeda for Betts and Price plus some money to cover part of Price's ginormous overpay of a contract. Betts' best position is also Bellinger's, so we will see what happens there. If it's really only Verdugo, that's fine. I think Verdugo will have more value before free agency than Betts, but I think Betts will be more valuable in 2020. Will he play RF or LF?

Meadows and Glasnow already were Rays, btw.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Pederson for Rengifo portion seems to be separate - basically, the Dodgers don't need Pederson at this point, so get a prospect for him.

It looks like it's really Verdugo and Maeda for Betts and Price plus some money to cover part of Price's ginormous overpay of a contract. Betts' best position is also Bellinger's, so we will see what happens there. If it's really only Verdugo, that's fine. I think Verdugo will have more value before free agency than Betts, but I think Betts will be more valuable in 2020. Will he play RF or LF?

Meadows and Glasnow already were Rays, btw.
It was 2 things an abundance of OFers and it drops us back below the luxury threshold. I have one Dodger jersey btw can you guess who it is? :(

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The fact that Maeda and Verdugo, who I absolutely love, is all we gave up is baffling.
Yeah. I love those guys too.
Maeda has been a horse for us. Both as a starter and out of the pen.
Verduga I live , because he is a tough out. He doesn't strike out very often.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Yeah. I love those guys too.
Maeda has been a horse for us. Both as a starter and out of the pen.
Verduga I live , because he is a tough out. He doesn't strike out very often.
I think Price will slot into Maeda's role quite well, plus Maeda was apparently not thrilled with the way the Dodgers were using him. Now he gets a slot in a rotation with an actual chance to earn some of his incentives.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The fact that Maeda and Verdugo, who I absolutely love, is all we gave up is baffling.

Betts is a free agent after this year. So there is risk with this trade. Plus theRed Sox owner really wanted to get under the Luxury Tax threshold. Price hasn't been very good. He's nothing like he used to be.

From what I read, the Dodgers were the only trade partner willing to take Price. No other team wanted him because of his contract and lack of production. Supposedly the Padres offered a better package for Betts, but refused to take Price. So it's one year of Betts for Verdugo and Graterol. The Sox gave Price away. That's how I look at it.

I can't help but wonder if the Red Sox were also more willing to go this route, because it's the best chance of keeping the Yankees from winning a World Series.

Betts is a career .291 hitter, if you take away the season that he hit .356 and knew what pitches were coming at home. .291 is still very goood. Plus he'll have a great lineup around him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So is this Virtugo guy a good player? Don’t know much about him.

Verdugo's a good player, with years of control. Contact hitter through the minors, should hit for a good average, without a ton of walks. Showed more power before his injuries last season than I expected. Can play all outfield positions well. The Sox should like him if he stays healthy. If he keeps the added power they should really like him, especially since he'll be cheap for a while. It wouldn't shock me if he wins a batting title or two.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Betts is a free agent after this year. So there is risk with this trade. Plus theRed Sox owner really wanted to get under the Luxury Tax threshold. Price hasn't been very good. He's nothing like he used to be.

From what I read, the Dodgers were the only trade partner willing to take Price. No other team wanted him because of his contract and lack of production. Supposedly the Padres offered a better package for Betts, but refused to take Price. So it's one year of Betts for Verdugo and Graterol. The Sox gave Price away. That's how I look at it.

I can't help but wonder if the Red Sox were also more willing to go this route, because it's the best chance of keeping the Yankees from winning a World Series.

Betts is a career .291 hitter, if you take away the season that he hit .356 and knew what pitches were coming at home. .291 is still very goood. Plus he'll have a great lineup around him.

It absolutely is a big risk. But the Dodgers feel comfortable with their ability to sign him plus for a team with a stacked lineup that we have and a stacked minor leagues giving up what we did isn't a problem and it doesn't kill us. Price in reality likely comes in as our #4 maybe 5 starter and we can live with that. This is likely what we field this coming season.

71l75s3.jpg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Curious what the two prospects are because we gave them a starting 30+ hr outfielder and a starter for their rotation.

View: https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1225096445998460929?s=21

I like Stripling, but he is 30, has never been established as a regular starter, and players who don't get established until fairly late often don't last all that long. But yes, I do want to see the prospect package. The Dodgers have been pretty good for years at grabbing undervalued prospects and having them become decent major league contributors.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rengifo looks interesting. Was promoted late enough last season that the Dodgers will still have 6 years of control. A bunch of errors last season but overall a competent middle infielder. Decent walks and pop for a middle infielder, few more strikeouts than I like but nowadays that is normal. Turns 23 later this month. Should be a useful backup who can fill in capably if their starters get injured. A useful piece who has a chance to be more.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rengifo looks interesting. Was promoted late enough last season that the Dodgers will still have 6 years of control. A bunch of errors last season but overall a competent middle infielder. Decent walks and pop for a middle infielder, few more strikeouts than I like but nowadays that is normal. Turns 23 later this month. Should be a useful backup who can fill in capably if their starters get injured. A useful piece who has a chance to be more.
IMO he’s anoth Hernandez and Taylor. Both of who may be gone in the next two years.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Nothing to do with the Yankees. They wanted to get under the tax. Problem with is the Red Sox devalued Betts by off loading the tool bag Price and only LA was the only team with an appetite to do that.

What Boston should of done is trade Bradley Jr and Bennitendi for a bag of balls each then max out the value of Betts or keep him for the year. The Red Sox mismanaged this so badly its a fire-able offense.

Instead of taking one step back to take 2 forward they took 6 steps back and there is no room to move forward.

Good for the Dodgers and if they get rid of Price I will be a Dodger fan this year lol.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gonna show them how to beat on trash cans in Morse code?