Do we use the franchise tag?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If so Who?

• Joyner

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Watkins

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I can see the Rams actually using Joyner to their own advantage by using the Franchise Tag on him. L.J. will be turning 28 years old during the 2018 season, signing him long term for an extremely large contract may not be in the Rams best interests, so a one year contract prior to worrying about the really big money going out to Donald, Gurley & Goff from 2019 on may be just what the doctor (Demoff) ordered. The Rams could always apply a 2'nd franchise tag in 2019 if he has another outstanding season and trade him or just let him become another CAP Casualty if he doesn't. We could look to get younger by way of the draft in 2019 or use a free agent pick-up, or maybe we find a later round developmental guy this year who could compete for a starting role next year. The Rams have options.

Psycho_X

Legend
That likely means that Sammy hits free agency .and he's gonna get money thrown at him

Probably, I'm hoping for a miracle. I really think Watkins has a career year if he stays. Watkins is so damn young still.

But Joyner is a must for our defense so can't fault them for tagging him over Watkins. All though I don't understand how they can't get a deal done with a player they know they want to keep long term. But not for me to know I suppose.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably, I'm hoping for a miracle. I really think Watkins has a career year if he stays. Watkins is so damn young still.

But Joyner is a must for our defense so can't fault them for tagging him over Watkins. All though I don't understand how they can't get a deal done with a player they know they want to keep long term. But not for me to know I suppose.

They must be really asking for an unprecedented amount. We have the space for both of them along with some free agents.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
They must be really asking for an unprecedented amount. We have the space for both of them along with some free agents.

It could also mean they are close to a deal with Watkins so they don't need the tag for him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Damn, Watkins was just turning 20 in his rookie year? And Joyner is almost 30 already. The NFL is weird.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sammy Watkins news this morning

If Rams use franchise tag today it will be on safety Lamarcus Joyner. WR Sammy Watkins won't get tagged. Team would like to keep both

View: https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/970994270059589638

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports the Rams will not place the franchise tag on Sammy Watkins.
If the Rams use the tag, La Canfora writes, it will be on S Lamarcus Joyner. Watkins posted a disappointing 39/593/8 line in 15 games last season, but he will be one of the top free agents available if he is allowed to hit the open market, which is likely if the Rams do not tag him. With Allen Robinson also looking likely to avoid the tag, the receiver market suddenly looks stacked. Mar 6

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9388/sammy-watkins

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why the hell would anyone want to pay Sammy Watkins a ton of money when he has never had a great season? For gosh sakes, Buffalo basically gave up on him! I want to keep him, but he has not PROVEN he is a #1 receiver. And I don't care about potential either (think Greg Robinson). Offer him a nice contract and then move on. Josh Reynolds or Mike Thomas can take his place. And I can't believe Joyner hasn't signed yet! Both sides could be waiting until the end, but don't insult him by threatening to tag him. Very frustrating for us Ram fans!!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Sammy only had 39 catches but 33 were for first downs combined with 8 tds. Give him 60 receptions this year and I can see at least 45 first downs with at least 12 tds while keeping things open for woods and kupp. Without Sammy I think those 2 will have down years from 2017. Not bad, just not as good as last season.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm a little ticked that the Rams couldn't get a deal done with one of the two, preferably Joyner. There is little to no chance Watkins can be resigned after he hits free agency. Someone is going to throw crazy money at him, and I'm a bit scared it might be the Whiners. It's our own fault.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

Lol that guys tweet literally carries no weight, but it is a cool tidbit.. me thinks we should chase Robinson on a one year prove it or small-term deal. He was the real deal prior to injury and I think Watkins is going to be thrown an ass-Ton of money by 9ers.

Hope I’m wrong tho!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins has value. But I have doubts that is issues were just learning the system because of missing TC. His most productive period was actually the first 4 games he was with the Rams, when he caught 14 of his 39 receptions with 2 TDs. His catch per target was best then too. I would expect some improvement, but he just didn't seem to show much as the season went along, which strikes me as discouraging.

In 4 seasons he has yet to actually be a top of the NFL type receiver. He would help the Rams if retained - but there are limited salary cap dollars available, and they must be budgeted.

In terms of another team throwing crazy money at him - that benefits the Rams. By definition, a "crazy" amount of money is more than he is worth. Let another team waste their cap dollars on a guy who hasn't proven to be a star. I'm in favor of other teams running into cap issues because of foolish signings. I want the Rams to have a good idea of what is worth while to spend their resources on.

If, on the other hand, the offers are reasonable, sure - let the Rams sign him. Just not for a ton more money than makes sense for the Rams' needs. They have other holes, and more important players to re-sign in the next few years. Overpaying Watkins makes those signings much more difficult.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why the hell would anyone want to pay Sammy Watkins a ton of money when he has never had a great season? For gosh sakes, Buffalo basically gave up on him! I want to keep him, but he has not PROVEN he is a #1 receiver. And I don't care about potential either (think Greg Robinson). Offer him a nice contract and then move on. Josh Reynolds or Mike Thomas can take his place. And I can't believe Joyner hasn't signed yet! Both sides could be waiting until the end, but don't insult him by threatening to tag him. Very frustrating for us Ram fans!!

How many top comp pick will The Rams get ?

Here we go ? Is there a chance The Rams keep there core with Barron & Austin ?

When do they have to get released by in order not to pay a bonus ?

Those guys might bring comp picks in the future as well in a year or too.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
How many top comp pick will The Rams get ?

Here we go ? Is there a chance The Rams keep there core with Barron & Austin ?

When do they have to get released by in order not to pay a bonus ?

Those guys might bring comp picks in the future as well in a year or too.
The soonest Barron and Austin could bring compensatory picks is 2022 and 2023 respectively. The Rams would have to pay out 60+ million to them to have their contracts play out.