Do we use the franchise tag?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If so Who?

• Joyner

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Watkins

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want them to keep Watkins but that is shocking to me. That they're undecided. I seriously doubt that.

Only way that makes sense is if they're waiting on an answer on their best offer to one or both.
I’m betting talks with both are going on right now and this is just some motivation to get things done.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a couple hours will do ?

Maybe it is best to franchise Sammy ? I’d use the Trans tag myself. The Rams WR are a little young still.

Is there a chance of keeping Tavon if they let Sammy walk ?
I doubt it, Reynolds, a late round pick or a vet on a 1year deal would be better and cheaper than Tavon most likely.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If they use the tag, it's Joyner. I'd like to think they could sign him for $8M instead of a $11M tag but why would Joyner sign? He could try and force the tag. That's a gamble of course in case of injury but he could get higher offers too.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins may be regarded as being tougher to replace but not if it is just as a deep threat. The Rams have two of them on the roster already. But if he leaves it will suck having used a second round pick for one season........suddenly Snead isn't looking as smart as he has lately.

One year of a cheap excellent WR, a sixth rounder, plus a likely third round comp pick for an injury prone CB who didn't fit the new system, and a second rounder.

Sounds a little different, and a lot more fair. If that is a trade to bash Snead for, then you are really looking for reasons to bash him.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Snead's aggressiveness when bringing in New players but this laid back stole when addressing home-grown talent is a bit frustrating .

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I’d prefer they don’t use it but for me it’d be Joyner.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I'm near positive we tag Watkins just because he wants #1 WR money contract, and some team will pay him that if we let him walk, but we don't have to... yet. I say we give him a prove it contract (tag). We already gave up a 2nd round pick for him, no way we let him walk.

nighttrain

Legend
I'm near positive we tag Watkins just because he wants #1 WR money contract, and some team will pay him that if we let him walk, but we don't have to... yet. I say we give him a prove it contract (tag). We already gave up a 2nd round pick for him, no way we let him walk.
if we cant get him any other way, i agree
train

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prove it contract tag at $16 million? He wants that much and the 2nd round ick be damned he can sign somewhere else.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
my idea of a prove it contract is 9-10 mil for 3 years
train
Problem is if you tag him for $16 million good lick getting him to sign for 12 million a year. Just my thoughts on it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sounds like Vinny B is saying on the twitter that negotiations with both are going down to the wire.

He seems to think Watkins market in FA may impede him more from coming back.

What I take from the last part above is that with a guy like Joyner, there's probably not gonna be much disparity between what teams will pay him and what the Rams want to give him. You may still want to use a tag on him to keep all variables at bay though if a contract isn't signed by tomorrow. With Watkins, Rams have a price in their head but if the Rams are stuck franchising Joyner, all it will take is one team to come in above that price and Watkins will be a goner.

Sure, nothing groundbreaking here, but good breadcrumbs anyways.

I can also imagine there are final contracts being sent to the players too today/tomorrow morning now that the NFL has finalized the salary cap for this coming year. I'm sure that has an effect on final edits.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Sounds like Snead is using the franchise tag threat solely to get Joyner to sign a deal by leveraging the potential of giving it to Watkins. We should not pay an $8M #2 WR $16M/yr.

I'll also predict that McSnead will announce Donald's deal the day after the third week of the FA period. We'll probably need to lock up some FAs before Donald contract can be front loaded.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don’t get the quandary.

Joyner at FS was at least semi elite last year. Smart teams don’t lose such players over small salary differences. Moreover, a competitive salary offer would be just a tick less than his tag amount. IOW, why waste a tag over a lousy million or so? Pay him his $10-11 million for 5 years and move on to other players.

Joyner should be happy with something like that considering the security and injury insurance factor versus a 1 year tag. Win-win.

Watkins? Didn’t have anywhere close to a semi elite season. Offer him his $10 million on a one year prove it with encentives. He can take it or leave it. Then both sides can revisit next year when the results are in. Another win-win.

Burning a tag on Watkins wastes $6 million over his earned value. A far larger amount over value than Joyner’s would be.

In my scenario there would be no franchise tag this year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I love Snead's aggressiveness when bringing in New players but this laid back stole when addressing home-grown talent is a bit frustrating .

Maybe these guys want too much money . I'm sure we are making respectable offers