Divisional Playoffs: 49’ers at Packers - 8:15pm ET

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFC Divisional Playoff: San Francisco 49ers vs. Green Bay Packers​

For the fifth time in the last three seasons, the 49ers and Packers are set to meet — this time two wins away from the Super Bowl.

These last three years have featured matchups between mentor and mentee as Kyle Shanahan's team took the two games in the 2019-20 season — including a win in the NFC Championship Game — before his protégé Matt LaFleur won the last two — including a Week 3 come-from-behind win this season.

As a quirk of the NFL's schedule, all four games were home for the 49ers, so playing in sub-freezing weather at Lambeau Field on Saturday night will be quite the changeup. And these long-time rivals have plenty of other narratives in a game that has the largest spread of the Divisional Round.

For one, there may be bad blood between the teams since the 49ers reportedly tried to lure Aaron Rodgers back to his native Northern California. At least an awkward exchange between the head coaches after the September game insinuated as much.

If this game is anything like their most recent meeting, the league and fans will be in for a treat. Especially after so many blowouts on "Super Wild Card Weekend." In Week 3, the 49ers pulled ahead on a Kyle Juszczyk touchdown with 37 seconds left, only for Mason Crosby to hit a 51-yard field goal as time expired for the 30-28 win.

Can the 49ers get revenge and propel themselves back to their second NFC title game in three years? Or will the Packers return to the NFC title game for the third straight season, in search of their first Super Bowl in more than a decade?

NFC Divisional Round: San Francisco (11-7) at Green Bay (13-4)

Kickoff: Saturday, Jan. 22 at 8:15 p.m. ET
TV: FOX
Spread: Packers -6

Three Things to Watch

1. Can Green Bay stop the run for once?

The Packers rank 11th in run defense this season (109.1 ypg), but that's largely because they've been ahead of teams so often that opponents rarely can run. On a rate basis, they rank 30th at 4.7 yards per carry. Advanced metrics are only slightly better — 26th in adjusted line yards (4.61) and 18th in run-stopping win rate (30 percent).

This is going to be a crucial test against an offense that ranks seventh in rushing offense (127.4 ypg) and has gone over 150 yards six times in its last 10 games.

Green Bay already stopped San Francisco once this season when the Packers held the Niners to 67 yards on 21 carries in September. But that game was without leading running back Elijah Mitchell, who finished eighth in the league in rushing (963 yds.) despite missing six games.

The Packers also will have to contend with Deebo Samuel, whom the Niners have been using a lot more at running back since they once played. San Francisco was able to run all over the Cowboys last week (169 yds., 2 TDs) and will be looking to do the same against Green Bay. If they get ahead early, it could be difficult for the Packers to come back against the 49ers.

2. Can Jimmy G step up if the Niners fall behind?

But if the 49ers do fall behind, they're going to have to lean harder on Jimmy Garoppolo than they'd probably prefer. Yes, Garoppolo has played better in the second half — 104.0 passer rating and 8.69 adjusted yards per attempt vs. 93.5 and 8.23 — but he lacks the accuracy and quick decision-making of other elite passers.

Just look at the last time these teams met. Garoppolo was only 25-of-40 for 257 yards with two scores and an interception. While he led what appeared to be a game-winning drive before Crosby's field goal, he fumbled in Green Bay territory with five minutes left the drive before.

That interception leads to a crucial stat: The 49ers are 3-6 when Garoppolo throws an interception this season and 7-0 when he doesn't.

The Packers tied for fifth in the regular season with 18 interceptions, and they did that for much of the season without Pro Bowl cornerback Jaire Alexander, who is likely to return after last playing a full game in Week 3 when he had a pick and three passes defended. Green Bay also could return linebackers Za'Darius Smith and Whitney Mercilus.

Garoppolo's health is only adding more questions to his effectiveness. He entered the playoffs with a bone chip and torn UCL in his throwing hand that will require offseason surgery, and then he suffered a shoulder injury last week. He's been limited in practice this week, which could mean more appearances from rookie first-round pick Trey Lance, who has not looked ready for the playoff stage.

3. Can Aaron Rodgers continue his flawless play?

If there was any doubt that Rodgers was going to win his fourth MVP, he put it to rest by throwing 20 touchdowns and no interceptions in his final seven games. This kind of turnover-free play is nothing new, of course — for the fourth straight season, he's the only qualified passer with an interception rate below one percent.

But if Rodgers has had one flaw, it's been his postseason play. His interception rate is up to a still-impressive 1.7 percent, while his passer rating, completion percentage, and yards per attempt are all a tick below his regular-season averages. Yes, he's facing tougher competition in the playoffs than when he plays the Lions in the regular season (and sample size remains an issue), but since winning that Super Bowl, the Packers are 1-6 in the playoffs when he throws an interception and 6-1 when he doesn't.

The 49ers have a fearsome pass rush, but that pressure hasn't led to many turnovers. In fact, only four teams have fewer than their nine interceptions this season. If San Francisco can't force a turnover, it at least needs to keep up the heat after registering a season-high 20 pressures last week since Rodgers' numbers nosedive more than most under duress.

Injuries will once again play a role here, and it benefits the Packers. Nick Bosa, the Niners' most productive pass rusher, has been in the concussion protocol, and his effectiveness will be in question if he does play. Furthermore, Green Bay will be getting a boost with the return of linemen David Bakhtiari and Billy Turner, who have missed a combined 20 games this season.

Final Analysis

It's stating the obvious, but it's cliché because it's true: this game will come down to turnovers. These are both Super Bowl-quality teams. San Francisco has to hope it can go up early (perhaps choosing to receive instead of deferring if it wins the toss) so that it can eat up the clock and not have to depend on a big Garoppolo game. As Green Bay showed in their September matchup, the Packers will loom large as long as Rodgers is under center.

Prediction: Packers 27, 49ers 23

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Niners have no business beating the Packers in Lambeau, but then they had no business beating us at SoFi, some here’s hoping the beat each other up, brutally. At the very least, mark up Rodgers or even better, bring the NFCCG to SoFi.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
The Niners have no business beating the Packers in Lambeau, but then they had no business beating us at SoFi, some here’s hoping the beat each other up, brutally. At the very least, mark up Rodgers or even better, bring the NFCCG to SoFi.
Our wishes are very similar. Whiners have no business being in the playoffs too. Strongly hoping that they bang each other up for the following week.

I hate the 3 other teams in the NFC so the Rams need to represent in the SB or I'll have to cheer AFC. I don't expect to be cheering AFC. :helmet:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Should the Rams win their game tomorrow at Tampa, I'm guessing Cam "the Ram" Akers will be one of the major reasons they advance.

Sheesh, this guy looked like a freaking beast last weekend.

Was his Achilles surgery a new modern-day procedure?

Dr. Neal ElAttrache is a member of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic Board of Directors, Chairman of the Board of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Foundation.

In surgery, ElAttrache executed a technique called “internal bracing” after initially repairing Akers’ tendon tissue, which meant adding a sutured bridge brace over the top of the repair.

The extra support — in theory and also in Akers’ case — helps protect and stabilize the repair site so the patient can begin physical activity much earlier in the rehab process while the underlying repair heals securely.

It’s helping to bolster up the strength of that tendon so you can really start going through rehabilitation steps earlier — it’s going to hold up and it’s going to take the stress off of the fibers that were correctly repaired.

Instead of having many strings trying to tie the ends of two mops together, you really stretch a suture across from the mop (handles) themselves which really keeps things in place, and you’re not relying fully on those frayed fibers of the tendon.

Akers’ tendon was extremely healthy on either side of the tear, allowed Scott, Cunningham and the Rams training staff to introduce certain rehab and physical therapy techniques into Akers’ routine much earlier than usual while simultaneously preventing the atrophy that occurs if the tendon and leg have to remain immobile.

It essentially limits the amount of blood going into the (affected) region, and blocks more of it coming out.

OIP.6upTZfoezzqpBn3rmvXj1QHaEo

leo212

Rookie
Name
Leo
I know we have our own business to take care of...But, I'm not really sure who I am / should be rooting for in this one.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I know we have our own business to take care of...But, I'm not really sure who I am / should be rooting for in this one.
There you go.

Not knowing our outcome makes this game impossible to pull one way or the other.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want the 49ers to win in the worst way possible.

I mean that literally. Whatever the absolute WORST way to win a game is, (use your imagination) then that's what I'm hoping for!!!

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Let me just add..........next Sunday the high in GB is suppose to be 26 with no precipitation.

If that was one concern.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Me neither. I am curious about the Green Bay weather forecast for next week though, that might be a deciding factor for who I hope wins this game.