Discussion before day 3 of the draft; thoughts, wants, needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
No Josey Jewell fans out there? I don't know how well he fits our defense (not very) but I'm a fan. I see a lot of Laurinaitis and I like it. Paired with Barron and a DLine that will take up a lot of blocks in front of him...could be a match made in heaven. And given the glut of good LB, he might still be there a round later.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
With 3 picks currently, have to believe the Rams will go 2 player on D, 1 on O. Rams last year alternated between D and O with 3rd & 4th rounders.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want the Headlines tomorrow to be "Rams Rock the Draft!!" { Grade A+++}:yess:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
From my vantage point, the ideal fourth round for us is:
#111 - Shaquem Griffin
#135 - Jeff Holland
#136 - Jack Cichy or Micah Kiser

Who could we trade and package with 2 6th round picks to take 4 players in round 4?

Mine

Crosby
Okowronko
Settle
Kiser

I would sacrifice picks (this or next year) to take any three of those

yours looks very smart and doable if we stand pat

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
No Josey Jewell fans out there? I don't know how well he fits our defense (not very) but I'm a fan. I see a lot of Laurinaitis and I like it. Paired with Barron and a DLine that will take up a lot of blocks in front of him...could be a match made in heaven. And given the glut of good LB, he might still be there a round later.

I will be very disappointed if the Rams don't get Jewell or Kiser in this Draft!

RAMNATION

Rookie
All the discussion around how eliminating kickoffs could impact what we look for in players, is interesting.

I mean, there could be less emphasis on being able to contribute there... more emphasis on developmental players.

Some speculate this weakens Shaquem Griffin, if there are concerns how to maximize him as a player.

Not saying I agree with it, but interesting discussion.
It would definitely reshape the roster makeup

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I will be very disappointed if the Rams don't get Jewell or Kiser in this Draft!

Jack Cichey might fall out of this draft, those injuries no recent film all stack up against him in a deep draft

Me, I take him in the 5th (if we can trade down) or top of 6th if we still own a pick (unlikely in my view, as we will use for trades up in the 4th)

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Tyrell Crosby is still there at 11 I wouldn’t mind the double dip. Then use a 6th to move up from one of those backend 4ths and grab Holland or Griffin if available.
I like Crosby too. But I would think they would have taken him yesterday if they wanted him very badly. I’m all for picking him up though. Let’s do something with all those 6th round picks!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams will face major departures in both OL DL in FA'cy next March. The DL is not much better off than the OL with the exception that our franchised MVP Goff is not involved with the DL problem. Rams have 5 DL'ers who will enter FA'cy. Bottom line here none of the bellow Ram DL'er have contract in 2019.

3 tech DT- Aaron Donald- starter since 2014
NT- Ndamukong Suh- projected starter 2018
3 tech DT- Dominique Easley- Reserve for Donald
5 tech DE- Morgan Fox -Reserve for Brockers
5 tech DE- Ethan Westbrooks- starter in 2017

With the Rams first of three selections @ #111, I would like to suggest NT Tim Settle or 3 tech DT Maurice Hurst & if they are off the board go with OG Tyrell Crosby or OC/OG Tony Adams.

later @ #135 & #136> Inside LB'ers Tegray Scales & Micah Kiser or Edge Rushers Ogbonnia "Obo" Okoronkwo & Jeff Holland. Swing OT/OG Jamil Demby would be an outstanding pick here

Ants

Starter
My top targets round 4:

1: Okoronkwpo
2: Holland
3: Shaq Griffin
4: Settle
5: Ejiofor
6: Ian Thomas
7:Dorance Armstrong Jr.

I not really high on a lot of the guys being mentioned in this thread -

-Armstrong looks like a fairly average 4-3 DE...although the times he was standing up he looked a lot better.
-Ejiofor doesn't look quick enough or fast enough...though he does seem plenty strong.
-Griffin - I like his speed and desire, but he's too light.
-Sweat - he's slow off the snap. Seems fairly strong, but not overly quick.

-Okoronkwpo - you know, I have a hard time taking seriously anyone from that Oklahoma "defense". But after watching him a bit - When he plays, he PLAYS. But he seems to take plays off and doesn't give effort on every play. He appears to be a liability against the run. But he looks plenty strong. Many times I can see that he merely hangs out to prevent a QB or RB from reversing their field, which is fine. And he seems to get double-teamed an awful lot.
I have to admit - overall I like what I see from him.

I don't mean to be negatively picking these guys apart - it's the 4th round, and there's a reason why they haven't been selected yet - they all have holes in their game. They can be developed.
But I'm looking for something I can hang my hat on with these guys.
Okoronkwpo looks to be the best of the bunch as far as Edge/LBs go.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Rams will face major departures in both OL DL in FA'cy next March. The DL is not much better off than the OL with the exception that our franchised MVP Goff is not involved with the DL problem. Rams have 5 DL'ers who will enter FA'cy. Bottom line here none of the bellow Ram DL'er have contract in 2019.

With the Rams first of three selections @ #111, I would like to suggest NT Tim Settle or 3 tech DT Maurice Hurst & if they are off the board go with OG Tyrell Crosby or OC/OG Tony Adams.

later @ #135 & #136> Inside LB'ers Tegray Scales & Micah Kiser or Edge Rushers Ogbonnia "Obo" Okoronkwo & Jeff Holland. Swing OT/OG Jamil Demby would be an outstanding pick here

Much to agree with. That said, if (and this is perhaps a big if) there is a plug and play player then you take them - Crosby IMO is the BPA - but Kiser plays day one in our defense - I can't get a handle on where Kiser sits on boards - I'm certain Crosby is going early unless there is a flag we don't know about.

These Edge players have value, because they don't need to start to make an impact on 3rd down. Settle can spell our dominant front, keeping them fresh for 3rd down - so him (or another DT mentioned) also have a lot of situational value

Crosby is a luxury pick, but you don't turn that down if he seperates on our board... so to my mind, we trade up for him and then sit tight for Kiser, Settle or Edge in that order (provided Kiser is pencilled to start in place of Wilson) - I don't see a lot of other potential starters at ILB, so if Kiser is a back up, you take the situational guy ahead of him

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Much to agree with. That said, if (and this is perhaps a big if) there is a plug and play player then you take them - Crosby IMO is the BPA - but Kiser plays day one in our defense - I can't get a handle on where Kiser sits on boards - I'm certain Crosby is going early l, unless there is a flag we don't know about.

These Edge players have value, because they don't need to start to make an impact on 3rd down. Settle can spell out dominant front, keeping them fresh for 3rd down - so a lot of value there as well

Crosby is a luxury pick, but you don't turn that down if he seperate son their board... so to my mind, we trade up for him and the sit tight for Kiser, Settle or Edge in that order

inside LB'er like Kiser & Scales could still fall a lot yet. & might fall into the late 5th or early 6th round.Might be smart to wait & see what happens the if they do fall go back up & get them.

Kiser is a pure mike & in this Wade defense is sure to come off in passing downs. So he is not a standard starter IMO the Nickle Back will see more snaps by a far margin, that said we need Kiser (or Scales) real bad so we can get to the Wade Nickle's & dime scheme where this defense is stocked with premier stars! Our four DLers in passing front, 6 DB's & Barron as the rover.

I would strongly suggest to consider the DL'ers & OL'er or ER's instead.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

There is one problem with taking DT Maurice Hurst. I hear he has a major Heart problem, which has caused him to fall in the Draft. Some Teams have removed him from there Boards!

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There is one problem with taking DT Maurice Hurst. I hear he has a major Heart problem, which has caused him to fall in the Draft. Some Teams have removed him fro there Boards!

After Bud Sasser's unfortunate heart condition, I'd rather not take a chance on Hurst. I feel for the kid, but let's face facts: nobody wants him to die on the field.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
inside LB'er like Kiser & Scales could still fall a lot yet. & might fall into the late 5th or early 6th round.Might be smart to wait & see what happens the if they do fall go back up & get them.

Kiser is a pure mike & in this Wade defense is sure to come off in passing downs. So he is not a standard starter IMO the Nickle Back will see more snaps by a far margin, that said we need Kiser (or Scales) real bad so we can get to the Wade Nickle's & dime scheme where this defense is stocked with premier stars! Our four DLers in passing front, 6 DB's & Barron as the rover.

I would strongly suggest to consider the DL'ers & OL'er or ER's instead.

It's interesting. Suh is going to make our run D much stouter (you can't double team more than one DL or our LBs will kill you)

There is a lot of value in a 2 down thumper at MLB and Kiser might surprise in a zone package - agree he is not going to cover my grandma in man

You have nailed it, where do these Mike LBs rank va other positions - it is hard to tell. I am high on Kiser though, he is powerful, can defeat blockers, is relentless... everything we needed in the play off defeat (loosing Brockers was huge as well)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Best Quote of the Draft, which I can't get over!! During a Eagles pick, the player making the pick said " HEY DALLAS, THE LAST TIME YOU WHERE IN THE SUPER BOWL THESE DRAFT PICKS WEREN'T BORN!!" LOL :LOL::ROFLMAO::rolllaugh:

I hope the Cowpie's get ripped into again today!!:mrburnsevil:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
After Bud Sasser's unfortunate heart condition, I'd rather not take a chance on Hurst. I feel for the kid, but let's face facts: nobody wants him to die on the field.

Some heart conditions can be fixed. What condition does he have? Agree, looks like he will fall out the draft

Ram65

Legend
Really want the best edge rusher or two. A solid OG.

Nice group.
1: Okoronkwpo
2: Holland
3: Settle
4. Chroistian Sam
5. Armstrong
6. Cichey
7. Tony Adams or 8.Jamil Demby are later picks still a lot on the board.

Interesting prospects.
#195 Jaleel Scott NMSU (yeahhhhh!!!) r-Sr. 6-5 218 lbs. 40- 4.54 from @Corbin

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So we have pick 11, 35 and 36.

Bolded are guys we've met with.

Looking at LB available:

Shaqueem Griffion obviously
Jeff Holland
Josh Sweat
Ogbonnia Okowronko
Hercules Mata'afa
Kylie Fitts
Dorance Armstrong

At ILB
Micah Kiser
Josey Jewell

Jack Cichey
Christian Sam

Feel free to add names, one thing I'd look at for tomorrow though! Snead has made 9 picks with McVay and 7 of them played and excelled at the Senior Bowl. That's probably a trend and something to pay attention to.

Tim Settle DT is my 1st target in Rd 4