Did the Colts make a mistake dumping Manning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fearsomefour said:
Colts did not make a mistake, it was a calculated risk. Manning was coming off of a serious injury, they had no way of knowing if he would ever be the same again and they had a chance to draft their future and start over. It was the only resonable choice to make.
It will be interesting to see how Mannings stats vary away from Mile High this season.

I was curious about that so I looked at last year. He tore it up on the road as well as he did at home.

One thing that came to mind as I was looking over the game logs was a bit I heard on Mike and Mike a couple of weeks ago and I think I may have mentioned it in a thread. Broncos WR's and DB's were saying that the ball was getting there a little faster than last year, as in his velocity is back to normal. In which case the AFC is on notice because this Broncos team is all around as good as any team he was on in Indianapolis.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yamahopper said:
Elway was a genius for getting Manning in the fold. He was what that team needed.

i wouldn't say genius, i would say desperate genius.

the only way he could run the tebow circus out of town was to sign manning. his disgust towards tebow, rightly so, was impossible to hide. i used to laugh every time they showed him after tebow somehow managed to pull another win out of the bag after sucking for 3 and a half qtrs. he was trying to smile and be happy but you could tell he was thinking, "fuck, how am i going to get this no talent clown off my team".

he would have gone after manning even if tebow wasn't there but he was the most desperate gm out there to get manning's signature.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
I can't stand Manning.

The way he tries to get a cheap penalty on a "D" is grade school. Why is it the "O" gets to sub players when they choose? Dumb rule.

V3

Hall of Fame
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

The way he tries to get a cheap penalty on a "D" is grade school. Why is it the "O" gets to sub players when they choose? Dumb rule.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Grade-schoolers wouldn't be smart enough to do that. Hell, most QB's in the NFL aren't smart/aware enough to do that. He's on a different playing field with his smarts/awareness. You play to win the game. If it's allowed by the rules, it's fair game. He's also probably the best sports pitchman I think I've ever seen.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
V3 said:
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Grade-schoolers wouldn't be smart enough to do that. Hell, most QB's in the NFL aren't smart/aware enough to do that. He's on a different playing field with his smarts/awareness. You play to win the game. If it's allowed by the rules, it's fair game. He's also probably the best sports pitchman I think I've ever seen.

V3......you're discussing this with EastRam......follow the advice in the cartoon in your sig hahahahaha.

Gotcha East.....it's been awhile since I had a change to zing ya and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

A55VA6

Legend
I like Manning. He's a boss.

I think the Colts should have kept Manning, drafted Luck and did a Rodgers / Favre thing. Could of been great for Luck.. but then again, he was ready from the start.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
How can you NOT like Peyton "goddamn" Manning?

That dude is just football. OMAHA OMAHA HURRY HURRY!

V3

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
V3 said:
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

V3......you're discussing this with EastRam......follow the advice in the cartoon in your sig hahahahaha.

Gotcha East.....it's been awhile since I had a change to zing ya and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Hehe, I'm still learning all the people here.

Just playin East. :p

xander47

Rookie
I don't think you can really answer this question until Luck's career and Manning's careers are over. Ultimately it depends on how many titles they win, and Manning's tactics, his smarts just don't work in playoffs. All the teams know they need to be ready, just makes his team less ready for when they have to play EQUAL football, which is why I think Manning will always be a bust in playoffs. His only SB win was against a Grossman lead Bears afterall.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
LesBaker said:
V3 said:
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

Bite me Les. Manning Sniffer.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
V3 said:
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

I totally agree he is smart as hell. But his actions are still grade school "and new school" to me. I would bet my house that if the Deacon was playing today and he knew he would be suspended if he Head Slapped Manning. He would knock his arse out if Manning got away with a cheap penalty.

I just happen to believe the "D" should be in the same position as the "O" when it comes to putting players on the field.

No worries we just see it differently.. But I'm sure we would agree Les is a attention ho. :lol:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
xander47 said:
I don't think you can really answer this question until Luck's career and Manning's careers are over. Ultimately it depends on how many titles they win, and Manning's tactics, his smarts just don't work in playoffs. All the teams know they need to be ready, just makes his team less ready for when they have to play EQUAL football, which is why I think Manning will always be a bust in playoffs. His only SB win was against a Grossman lead Bears afterall.
I disagree. First of all, to get to that SB he had to mount a large comeback against the Bellichick/Brady Patriots. He had never done that before (but then, the Manning Colts were dealing with the cheating Patriots before that). Grossman only accounts for the blowout factor in that SB.

As for the loss to the Saints, that was due to the balls-of-steel HC Payton calling an onsides kick to start the second half. Just about everything the Saints did that year worked, including the Harper pick-6 that iced the game.

Sometimes you're the buzz saw; sometimes you're the log.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

I never liked his pre-snap shenanigans. It's ridiculous at times.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
At the time, I don't blame the Colts. There was too much uncertainty around Manning's health long term.

However, with the advantage of retrospect... if Manning plays 4 years post Colts at the level he's done years 1 and (start of) 2... they should have shopped the pick.

4 years of Manning + all those picks > Luck.

It's going to take another year or two or three to really know. So; again... I think the Colts did the right thing based on the data at that time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
EastRam said:
LesBaker said:
V3 said:
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

Pretty much I'd sniff anything to cover up the smell coming from you LOL.

Why haven't you been around much? Clocking a ton of hours again?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
LesBaker said:
EastRam said:
LesBaker said:
V3 said:
EastRam said:
I can't stand Manning.

Pretty much I'd sniff anything to cover up the smell coming from you LOL.

Why haven't you been around much? Clocking a ton of hours again?

Yup was busy for a bit..Now the season is upon us. I won't even play golf now that the Rams are on! Can't wait for Sunday!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
V3 said:
It would have been a mistake keeping Manning, IMO. Manning only has a 3 years tops left. Luck has at least 10 barring injury. Luck is the best QB prospect to come out in a long time. You can't pass on that. RG3 and Krapernick get all the pub but while they're busy running and inevitably getting injured, Luck will be in his pocket putting up great numbers for a much longer time.

If they had kept PM and traded for picks, who knows if they would have drafted anyone that would have improved their team enough to get the Colts back to the SB- let alone in the time window Manning has left. You didn't have to hope Luck would be great. He was about as guaranteed as a draft prospect can get. I think they made the right choice for both them and Peyton. Peyton got to choose his future and find a team that had a good chance at winning NOW. I'm happy for both.

What would have been wrong taking Luck and keeping Manning for another couple of years?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Rambitious1 said:
V3 said:
It would have been a mistake keeping Manning, IMO. Manning only has a 3 years tops left. Luck has at least 10 barring injury. Luck is the best QB prospect to come out in a long time. You can't pass on that. RG3 and Krapernick get all the pub but while they're busy running and inevitably getting injured, Luck will be in his pocket putting up great numbers for a much longer time.

If they had kept PM and traded for picks, who knows if they would have drafted anyone that would have improved their team enough to get the Colts back to the SB- let alone in the time window Manning has left. You didn't have to hope Luck would be great. He was about as guaranteed as a draft prospect can get. I think they made the right choice for both them and Peyton. Peyton got to choose his future and find a team that had a good chance at winning NOW. I'm happy for both.

What would have been wrong taking Luck and keeping Manning for another couple of years?

A wise man!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Rambitious1 said:
V3 said:

Nothing except that Mannings salary would have assured they couldn't afford the rest of what they needed to compete with either of them.

They did the right thing, sure Mannings miraculous recovery due in NO SMALL PART to his extraordinary work ethic has made Elway look like a genius, but he wasn't faced with a choice between Manning and Luck, we all know WHO Mcdufus had drafted as their QB with no future.

The press is pre-occupied with proving their racial enlightenment ( which I've heard called the "soft bigotry of lowered expectations") so they fete the accomplishments of every black QB as the future ,but Luck is better than RG,Kapernick,or Wilson and FWIW if all three of those guys were offered to me in trade for Luck I'd decline, BTW that is due to my epiphany because at one time ,before RG knee reminded me of what I already knew but suppressed,I was ga ga for Griffin.
Andrew Luck doesn't get nearly the press he deserves (comparatively)because of the a fore mentioned paradigm.

I love Manning and the Broncos are my second favorite team and I am mightily impressed with all they've done together and Thursday night was a cosmic experience ,but I'm not convinced if he was still in Indy they'd be that much better ,at worst it was a no lose situation for Indy ,no matter what they did , they were gonna be OK.