Did the Colts make a mistake dumping Manning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've had that thought rattling around in my head all morning. Imagine if they had kept him.

Not much would have changed for them last year, in fact they may have had a better record because there is no way Manning turns the ball over as much as Luck did.

Now imagine what a team would have given them for that #1 overall and a chance to get Luck. It would likely have been a little more than what the Rams got from WASH. Maybe another 2nd rounder, I think that wold have happened.

Figure Manning will have this year and at least one more, maybe two (he could play 3 more for all we know). So that would have been 3-4 more years with Manning still able to play great at QB with a ton of picks in the draft to play with.

Lets say they made a trade with a team that was desperate for a QB like the Raiders or Cardinals or some other perennial top 10 loser. The Colts would have been loaded with cheap talent and would have had enough time and the draft firepower to pick up a QB to replace Manning along the way.

Not to mention since they are in the AFC which is full of declining "powerhouses" they may have had another shot or two to get to the SB. Who would be in their way? The Steelers, Ravens, Patriots and all the others are dropping off. The only thing in their way would be the Texans!

The more I think about it and now that I have typed this out I think they made a boo-boo. They assumed he wasn't going to be able to play at a high level and they were dead wrong.

Ooooooops!!!!!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
At the time I burned Irsay's ear everywhere I could about dumping Peyton... what a tragedy in disloyalty. Irsay's a moron.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stranger said:
At the time I burned Irsay's ear everywhere I could about dumping Peyton... what a tragedy in disloyalty. Irsay's a moron.

I can understand that point of view.....but loyalty aside this may have been a stupendous strategic error. 3-4 more years of Manning at a high level and all those extra picks.......holy crap.

V3

Hall of Fame
It would have been a mistake keeping Manning, IMO. Manning only has a 3 years tops left. Luck has at least 10 barring injury. Luck is the best QB prospect to come out in a long time. You can't pass on that. RG3 and Krapernick get all the pub but while they're busy running and inevitably getting injured, Luck will be in his pocket putting up great numbers for a much longer time.

If they had kept PM and traded for picks, who knows if they would have drafted anyone that would have improved their team enough to get the Colts back to the SB- let alone in the time window Manning has left. You didn't have to hope Luck would be great. He was about as guaranteed as a draft prospect can get. I think they made the right choice for both them and Peyton. Peyton got to choose his future and find a team that had a good chance at winning NOW. I'm happy for both.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Stranger said:
I agree completely. There's the "business" of the NFL and then there are guys who mean something more to a team and it's fans. Luck may turn out to be a pretty good QB but Manning is arguably the best ever. And playing better than he ever has.

Not sure what his goals are but with the team Denver has, he could really improve on his championship total.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'll just add, at the time, most people would have said the odds that Manning returned to the health and strength he's playing with now were less than the odds that Luck would be a great QB.

Playing the odds dictated the Colts choose Luck. To say you knew Manning would return to this level is playing the hindsight game, IMO.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I would have done what the colts did... Opie Manning's days are numbered.

I believe they made the wise calculated chioce (gamble). Luck is a once in a decade type of prospect,,, that made the decision to cut Opie much easier.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I think the real question is... Did every single ROD member make a mistake on passing on Payton Manning in the first round of the fantasy draft leaving him therefor me with the final sixteenth spot? Yes. Yes I think you all did. :hehe: [YouTubeMobile][/YouTubeMobile]

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
V3 said:
I'll just add, at the time, most people would have said the odds that Manning returned to the health and strength he's playing with now were less than the odds that Luck would be a great QB.

Playing the odds dictated the Colts choose Luck. To say you knew Manning would return to this level is playing the hindsight game, IMO.

That's true I am playing the hindsight game and I don't want to come across as if I thought they made a mistake at the time. I'm just saying that as it looks right now they may have made a mistake. It's safe to say at the time most people thought Manning wouldn't ever be the same but seeing now that he is as good as ever you have to wonder what they could have done with all those extra picks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Afro Ram said:
I think the real question is... Did every single ROD member make a mistake on passing on Payton Manning in the first round of the fantasy draft leaving him therefor me with the final sixteenth spot? Yes. Yes I think you all did. :hehe: [YouTubeMobile][/YouTubeMobile]

Hahahahaha oh hell yes rub it in hahahahaha......that was funny.....

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think so, but that's mostly because Luck is going to give them a lot of years as a good QB. Manning brought Indy one Super Bowl trophy, so it's not as if Luck can't do that. I'm not sure what the QB class will be when Manning retires, but I'm sure the guy wont be as good as Luck will be. That bounty would have been interesting though, with both the first two picks auctioning off their draft picks. It probably would have lessened our haul.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
Afro Ram said:

Exactly my thoughts after seven touchdowns, good grief.

moklerman

Warner-phile
bluecoconuts said:
I don't think so, but that's mostly because Luck is going to give them a lot of years as a good QB. Manning brought Indy one Super Bowl trophy, so it's not as if Luck can't do that. I'm not sure what the QB class will be when Manning retires, but I'm sure the guy wont be as good as Luck will be. That bounty would have been interesting though, with both the first two picks auctioning off their draft picks. It probably would have lessened our haul.
I think it may have eliminated the Rams haul altogether. If given the choice, I think Shanahan would have taken Luck and if it came down to whatever team #2 that wanted RGIII was offering, the Rams may not have taken that deal.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Sgt. Ram said:
Afro Ram said:

Nothing like being down 50 points after facing 1 stinking player.

Speaking of which, I'm sure it'll go without getting the mention that it deserves but tying that record is really something. Even with all the running up of scores that NE did or Marino or Montana/Young, no one's put up 7 TD's since 1969. Talk about a different era. To put up 7 TD's is an historic game and I'm glad I got to see it.

Even though the SOB I'm facing in FF was starting him.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'd would have let Manning walk. They rode that horse as long as they could and it was time to move on. Between his age and the huge amount of cap room he demanded that ship has sailed.
Luck might never be Manning but he can get very close and with the other playmakers they can bring in not paying 20% of the cap space on just Manning it could be a better team.

Elway was a genius for getting Manning in the fold. He was what that team needed.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
moklerman said:
Sgt. Ram said:
Afro Ram said:

Nothing like being down 50 points after facing 1 stinking player.

Speaking of which, I'm sure it'll go without getting the mention that it deserves but tying that record is really something. Even with all the running up of scores that NE did or Marino or Montana/Young, no one's put up 7 TD's since 1969. Talk about a different era. To put up 7 TD's is an historic game and I'm glad I got to see it.

Even though the SOB I'm facing in FF was starting him.

Oh you're the owner of team stone cold tavon austin. Its nice to meet you. I must say that name is a little strange since tavon austin is actually part of MY team. :razzed:

V3 said:

good post and i agree.

fearsomefour

Legend
Colts did not make a mistake, it was a calculated risk. Manning was coming off of a serious injury, they had no way of knowing if he would ever be the same again and they had a chance to draft their future and start over. It was the only resonable choice to make.
It will be interesting to see how Mannings stats vary away from Mile High this season.

V3

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
V3 said:

That's true I am playing the hindsight game and I don't want to come across as if I thought they made a mistake at the time. I'm just saying that as it looks right now they may have made a mistake. It's safe to say at the time most people thought Manning wouldn't ever be the same but seeing now that he is as good as ever you have to wonder what they could have done with all those extra picks.

I didn't think Manning would play well again. I was wrong.

And you're talking to a jaded Rams fan so talks about what I'd do with all those extra picks doesn't work on my like it used to. I've been programmed to think that those extra picks will turn out to be average players at best and most will be journeymen.