Dickerson bags on Goff again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At some point in his career, I hope Mannion gets to start 3 or 4 game in row, then we can truly see what he can do with a starting offense. So far he really hasn't had that chance.

I hope it's against the Rams.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Won't be much longer and doubters will be very hard to find.

I'll always be a fan of Goff no matter what.

But he can't make me stop doubting - because I think pretty much every QB in the NFL that's not on a rookie deal or named Tom Brady is overpaid.

So Goff could win MVP next year and join Aaron Rodgers as a top QB and I wouldn't be super thrilled about re-signing him - I'd have more of an understanding than I would now for sure, and I'll always root for him. But these QB contracts need to stop.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll always be a fan of Goff no matter what.

But he can't make me stop doubting - because I think pretty much every QB in the NFL that's not on a rookie deal or named Tom Brady is overpaid.

So Goff could win MVP next year and join Aaron Rodgers as a top QB and I wouldn't be super thrilled about re-signing him - I'd have more of an understanding than I would now for sure, and I'll always root for him. But these QB contracts need to stop.

The one advantage the Rams have - and hopefully it will continue - is that it appears Snead and McVay are good at finding draft talent, even with trade downs. If that continues, then the Rams are in better shape than most teams at keeping the talent flow going even if they can't keep most talent past 4 seasons. Now, having a DT with a huge contract in addition hurts, as does several other very highly paid players going forward. The margin of error is going to be small - but it will still be possible to succeed.

oldnotdead

Legend
$9M is his base, but his cap hit is $12M (Fowler). Contract value can be looked at in different ways. Overall which includes signing bonuses and the like and base. Since there is little way to predict signing bonuses you can look at the base pay. Also, bonuses can be backloaded or front-loaded and don't have to be equally spread between the years.

Again I know you simply want to rip me that is obvious from the tone of your post. But you miss the point I'm making. I used those figures not to pontificate as you put it, but to illustrate the point that the Rams don't have the cap to extend either Fowler or Goff presently. Now if you can illustrate how they can do that with an estimated cap in Sept of +$4.8M I'd love to hear your argument. My goal was to simply show why they are waiting, and how their cap situation next year will be much improved to allow them to extend key players. Goff for his part would be foolish in the extreme to sign more than a 4 year contract. As far as I can see he's not a foolish person.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ED is entitled to his opinion, I also think the title is misleading he’s not ripping on him. ED shows his true colors as many of us have seen before. He cares about himself and his position. He’s not the first retired player to do this and won’t be the last. There are two schools of thoughts on doing an extension now or waiting. You do it now to save a few dollars possibly if the player has a down year or to beat the other coming extensions before they reset the market. Or you wait in case the player regresses badly or suffers a bad injury so you can move on.

Each way has its pros and cons.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dickerson would've loved to have Goff on his team as a player. Looking over the list of QBs ED was saddled with his whole career......yeesh.

Good point. ED has no idea what a great QB looks like. :D