Derion Kendrick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He hasn't given up many big ones tho.
Last years loss to Tampa Bay
The Whiner game this year and yesterday’s game.
All PI against him in the end zone.
All loses
A good CB plays the ball and the receiver.
Playing with your back to the ball doesn’t work, especially with the new rules.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Weird how much crap Kendrick gets on here and yet on Durant it is like crickets.
Yeah, this strikes me as weird also.

Durant was getting a ton of love last year, and it sure seemed like most expected him to be the #1 CB. Yet it sure seems like Kendrick has passed Durant, certainly in the coaches' estimation. Kendrick gets a ton more snaps than Durant, and Kendrick is regularly matched up on the opponent's #1 receiver.

To me, Durant has been more disappointing than Kendrick.

Overall though, I'm amazed at how well this young secondary is holding up. Rams have an above average defense, and the secondary is doing surprisingly well with a limited pass rush.

I say give Kendrick his due, he is competing his ass off and doing amazingly well for where he was drafted.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am a fan of DK, I see a lot of good there, does he make mistakes yes and they have been very visible. He has something I like great confidence, some swagger and extremely competitive. I see him as a possible long term starter he just needs to keep developing. Read faster, clean up his play at the point of confrontation and keep battling. Oh yeah lastly he should never read the GDT

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he's played really well overall. I don't think your numbers accurately reflect what he's given up either....his passer rating allowed has been outstanding IIRC.

He's one of our best tacklers in the secondary as well, which has been a pleasant surprise.

As others have pointed out, there is a lack of pass rush at times. Despite the WRs we've played, you've seen QBs have to hold the ball or throw it away - I imagine our coverage has been above average overall.

On his way to being a solid #2 CB IMO.

TexasRam

Legend
Kendrick plays with a ton of intensity and competitiveness. I love that.

But for a guy that has played 20 games and started 11, he has to cut out the game changing penalties and improve his technique a ton.

He folds under pressure which is not a good sign. It's so bad he is targeted immediately by defenses when they have to have a play under pressure.

I would bench him and see what Tomlinson has. Let him watch and chill a bit. If Tomlinson balls out then you have your solution and get him his fair share of game reps going into the playoffs. If Tomlinson needs time then you could always let Kendrick show he's made the adjustments. Some CB's can come in and immediately play solid ball without the bad technique and penalties.

Lack of pass rush is a thing, but so is bad technique and failure to grow this far into season 2.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
he doesn't give up TDS because he tackles the receivers so they cant catch it.

He is a decent player.. but not sure starting material.

Disagree. He just should be covering number twos, not pro bowlers.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Eh, he is what he is. I'm hoping there's upside, but I'm not expecting a whole lot.

I think if you lined him up against the Ben Skowronek's of the world, he would do mostly fine.

Edit:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8HLLIFFG0Y

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I would bench him and see what Tomlinson has.
TT looks very raw to me, and incredibly undisciplined. He commits a ton of penalties. TT is down on the depth chart behind both Durant and Shelley. TT has about 5 snaps on defense this entire season, I believe. I'd be okay with giving TT some more snaps, but he isn't yet ready to take over Kendrick's spot, IMO.

Hey @TexasRam, I'd be curious as to what your take was on the penalty called on TT in the 3rd quarter of the Colts game with 4:39 left (since I know you record the games and re-watch specific plays). Some on here say it's a bad call. To me, it looked like TT got in the direct path of the receiver, forcing contact, and then held on when the receiver tried to pull away. Others here thought the receiver "initiated contact." Anyway, I'm curious about that play because TT was in for all of one play on D that game and was called for a foul, which negated a huge sack and forced fumble by AD. That was a pivotal play. Yeah I'm a homer, but that looked to me like a legit holding call on TT.

From what I've seen of TT on special teams, he makes some great plays and also some stupid over-aggressive fouls. My take is that TT can develop into a player, but he needs a year to improve his technique and get a better feel for what the refs call in the NFL.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Eh, he is what he is. I'm hoping there's upside, but I'm not expecting a whole lot.

I think if you lined him up against the Ben Skowronek's of the world, he would do mostly fine.

Edit:

Great video 3 NFL starters 2 of which are 1st rounders, top 10 I think and Kendrick too

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
TT looks very raw to me, and incredibly undisciplined. He commits a ton of penalties. TT is down on the depth chart behind both Durant and Shelley. TT has about 5 snaps on defense this entire season, I believe. I'd be okay with giving TT some more snaps, but he isn't yet ready to take over Kendrick's spot, IMO.

Hey @TexasRam, I'd be curious as to what your take was on the penalty called on TT in the 3rd quarter of the Colts game with 4:39 left (since I know you record the games and re-watch specific plays). Some on here say it's a bad call. To me, it looked like TT got in the direct path of the receiver, forcing contact, and then held on when the receiver tried to pull away. Others here thought the receiver "initiated contact." Anyway, I'm curious about that play because TT was in for all of one play on D that game and was called for a foul, which negated a huge sack and forced fumble by AD. That was a pivotal play. Yeah I'm a homer, but that looked to me like a legit holding call on TT.

From what I've seen of TT on special teams, he makes some great plays and also some stupid over-aggressive fouls. My take is that TT can develop into a player, but he needs a year to improve his technique and get a better feel for what the refs call in the NFL.
I threw the clip up on youtube. Hopefully not breaking any rules here. I'll pull it off in a few days so the NFL Doesn't slap my wrist.

My take is the WR engages him with his hands at the same time TT does. I see the Niners do this almost every play. So not sure how it's called a penalty. Maybe they are picking on the rookie?

Click Link Below:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/R-N38YDejus?feature=share

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I threw the clip up on youtube. Hopefully not breaking any rules here. I'll pull it off in a few days so the NFL Doesn't slap my wrist.

My take is the WR engages him with his hands at the same time TT does. I see the Niners do this almost every play. So not sure how it's called a penalty. Maybe they are picking on the rookie?

Click Link Below:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/R-N38YDejus?feature=share
Yeah, thanks for looking at it and posting it.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but looks like a legit foul by TT to me. Maybe they often let it go, but it sure looks like a foul. The YouTube clip goes pretty fast so I re-watched that play in slo-mo on my TV. I notice that in the middle of the WR's route, I see a DB stop his backpedal, stand straight up in the path of the WR, stretch his arms straight out, and engage the WR with his hands. Then it looks to me like the WR is hampered in his ability to cut back to the sideline because of his engagement with the DB. If the jerseys were reversed, I'd be screaming for a penalty, that's for sure.

So yeah, I guess we disagree on this one play, although overall it's hard to tell, since the camera is so far away. Kinda hard to see what TT's right hand is doing near the very end, he reaches out and then stumbles a bit.

As for the rest of your notes on the Rams-Colts game, I agree with everything you posted. Especially about the OLine play-- Dotson looked fantastic, while Noteboom allowed more pressures than it first seemed.

Cheers

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
DK's poor technique is very apparent at some of the worst times. He would be fine as a rotational DB but they should be starting Michael Ojemudia. He's faster and a vet. With Witherspoon on one side, they can play Michael on the opposite side. Ojemudia is 6'1" tall and runs a 4.45, he's started 13 games over 2020 & 2021 and lost 2022 to injury. He played well in 2020.

Durant and Tomlinson are apparently too raw. But DK is also raw and his issues have been costly. They signed Ojemudia for a reason, time to play him. In 2020 he had 55 solo tackles, 1 TFL, 6 PDs and 4 forced fumbles all as a second year player. He's got the length and speed they want, he's got experience and he's only 26 yrs old. They have Shelley as their SCB. Let the other 3 guys watch and learn.

I think Fuller needs to sit and Lake and Yeast can two high or quarters.

TexasRam

Legend
Yeah, thanks for looking at it and posting it.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but looks like a legit foul by TT to me. Maybe they often let it go, but it sure looks like a foul. The YouTube clip goes pretty fast so I re-watched that play in slo-mo on my TV. I notice that in the middle of the WR's route, I see a DB stop his backpedal, stand straight up in the path of the WR, stretch his arms straight out, and engage the WR with his hands. Then it looks to me like the WR is hampered in his ability to cut back to the sideline because of his engagement with the DB. If the jerseys were reversed, I'd be screaming for a penalty, that's for sure.

So yeah, I guess we disagree on this one play, although overall it's hard to tell, since the camera is so far away. Kinda hard to see what TT's right hand is doing near the very end, he reaches out and then stumbles a bit.

As for the rest of your notes on the Rams-Colts game, I agree with everything you posted. Especially about the OLine play-- Dotson looked fantastic, while Noteboom allowed more pressures than it first seemed.

Cheers
It's all good. I think the video clearly shows they both are initiating arm contact at the same time. I think a case can be made that TT was defending himself from the contact of the WR as allowed per below.

ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL CONTACT BEYOND FIVE-YARD ZONE

Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver.

Here is a closer shot of the video. The WR is running straight into him and not looking for the ball. TT is protecting himself against impending contact. Click the link if the video don't load.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQi88Kuk-U

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
It's all good. I think the video clearly shows they both are initiating arm contact at the same time. I think a case can be made that TT was defending himself from the contact of the WR as allowed per below.

ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL CONTACT BEYOND FIVE-YARD ZONE

Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver.

Here is a closer shot of the video. The WR is running straight into him and not looking for the ball. TT is protecting himself against impending contact. Click the link if the video don't load.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQi88Kuk-U

Yeah man, I agree with probably 95% of your football takes on the Rams, but this play falls into the 5% where I disagree.

To me, the snapshot below looks like a foul:

IMG_1184.jpeg

I see a DB right in the WR's way, cutting off his route. And it looks to me like the DB's arms are extended clearly BEFORE the WR makes body contact. If this were a "chuck" near the line of scrimmage, that would be fine, but this is way downfield. To me, the DB has to play either inside or outside his man-- he can't just stand his ground and extend his arms and make contact and impede progress like that.

Wish we were in a bar so we could actually talk... hard to figure this shit out via text. Regardless, no biggie, maybe we just have different interpretations of the rules on this play. There's certainly plenty of grey area with holding, as we all know! Cheers
IMG_1184.jpeg

TexasRam

Legend
Yeah man, I agree with probably 95% of your football takes on the Rams, but this play falls into the 5% where I disagree.

View attachment 61782

I see a DB right in the WR's way, cutting off his route. And it looks to me like the DB's arms are extended clearly BEFORE the WR makes body contact. If this were a "chuck" near the line of scrimmage, that would be fine, but this is way downfield. To me, the DB has to play either inside or outside his man-- he can't just stand his ground and extend his arms and make contact and impede progress like that.

Wish we were in a bar so we could actually talk... hard to figure this shit out via text. Regardless, no biggie, maybe we just have different interpretations of the rules on this play. There's certainly plenty of grey area with holding, as we all know! CheersView attachment 61782
It's all good. I could be wrong. I am just a casual fan, no expert on the rules.

I am tired of seeing all the other teams getting away with getting all handsy all game long though.

I may be being Biased here because I am tired of Kendrick's penalties killing us and want to see what someone else can do.

One thing I would always go back to though, is the WR is running straight at TT looking at him and never looking back but also from this shot it looks like he's not vertical running a route but trying to run into TT, starting to get his hands up, to get a push off for a completion. I also think the video clearly shows TT to the right of the WR and the WR running purposely to his right to engage contact.

1696927763884.png

oldnotdead

Legend
The bottom line for me is that the DB has clearly established his position and the WR intentionally runs into him. Guess what the DB has a right to be on the field as well and since he did not initiate contact that it was from the WR intentionally running into him by the NFL's own guidelines that isn't PI. Just more NFL looking out for it's precious betting lines. IMO if there was no fumble that isn't called. Only crickets from NY.

I'm not one for conspiracies but this is becoming so blatant it's sickening. Games are being won and lost because of it. We as fans support the NFL so ultimately they are cheating the fans. The fact the NFL is trying to ignore it is perhaps the most damning evidence that it's intentional. If it wasn't they would be all over it not ignoring it. Sometimes what isn't said says more than what is.

It wouldn't surprise me if NY told the official to throw the flag since they would have seen both the contact and the fumble and the ref might not have seen the fumble. But him supposedly not seeing the fumble would give him cover.

Tano

Legend

View attachment 61782

Wish we were in a bar so we could actually talk... hard to figure this shit out via text. Regardless, no biggie, maybe we just have different interpretations of the rules on this play. There's certainly plenty of grey area with holding, as we all know! CheersView attachment 61782
Based on that rule, there is no way that should be a penalty. Guy ran into TT and TT was protecting himself per the NFL rules.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's all good. I could be wrong. I am just a casual fan, no expert on the rules.

I am tired of seeing all the other teams getting away with getting all handsy all game long though.

I may be being Biased here because I am tired of Kendrick's penalties killing us and want to see what someone else can do.

One thing I would always go back to though, is the WR is running straight at TT looking at him and never looking back but also from this shot it looks like he's not vertical running a route but trying to run into TT, starting to get his hands up, to get a push off for a completion. I also think the video clearly shows TT to the right of the WR and the WR running purposely to his right to engage contact.

View attachment 61784
If the WR is trying to run past TT that is holding or intruding his progress,no matter unless the WR is coming back to the ball.
TT is going to get burned deep & that was his only chance to stop 6.If there’s a safety up top then he might be shading that way.
If there is going to be a short pass then he’s good because now he is coming up to make a play(tackle).If the QB is setting him up though with a fake.If the QB is rolling out to run he is okay,but still can’t impede.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Edit:

Seeing the video of this play there s no holding or PI.He is making the play & made an excellent read.That’s his only chance & the ball is thrown there.