Derion Kendrick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's the costly game changing penalties that seems to be the main issue, IMO.

Oh well, he's got 5 so far, and there probably should have been another vs. the Colts.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
It's the costly game changing penalties that seems to be the main issue, IMO.

Oh well, he's got 5 so far, and there probably should have been another vs. the Colts.
He's not very bright. He's a Ram, Ill root for him... but not my favorite

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I dunno. He's been bailed out a lot by missed QB throws this year to my eye. But his play has certainly exceeded my expectations.

I do still think we need to upgrade on him going forward. He's young and can develop further. And he already appears to be decently capable. But in today's NFL, which is very pass happy, and where it seems every contending team has at least 2 star WRs on the roster, you need at least 2 strong corners to win a Super Bowl IMO - or, alternatively, a very good pass-rush to make the lives of your secondary easier. The Rams went with the latter approach with AD99, Miller, Floyd, and Gaines, as CB play was middling behind Ramsey. I personally think it will be easier to get a second strong corner to play alongside Witherspoon, who looks incredible, than finding star pash-rushers which usually command top tier draft capital or free agent money. Kinedrick to me just looks.... decent. And very grabby, always risking a PI flag. You need guys like that on the roster in a salary cap world. And I'd feel comfortable with him spot starting for a number of weeks at a time if injuries strike. But ideally, he is not a starter on your defence when roster building is done IMO. Luckily, the Rams are only in year 1 of an overhaul.

Just my 2 cents.

All in all, a very successful draft pick for his draft position.

Different styles of play, but I liken him to what Tory Hill was for us for some time. Okay. Not great. Perhaps not even "good" but a useful piece. A necessary part of a roster. Not someone you want as a starting corner for more than a few weeks, but he will have weeks where he manages to contain some pretty darn good WRs. You have to accept he will get beat at times, and once you can get past that, you can appreciate what he brings.

Ellard80

Legend
He's a young CB that was a little bit of a project. Let him grow, let him make his mistakes and let him make his plays. We and he will be better for it in the future. In normal fashion though a lot on this site have given up on him so it's going g to be a long year.
i aint giving up on him.. he is doing an admirable job.

But he has that panic and grab-people trait that I've honestly never seen a DB get rid of.

Maybe he will get over that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i aint giving up on him.. he is doing an admirable job.

But he has that panic and grab-people trait that I've honestly never seen a DB get rid of.

Maybe he will get over that.
Young DB's usually have that, you'd hope Pleasant can work him out of it.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
All he really needs to do is cut down on the penalties and he’ll be fine.
Awarding those penalties is down to the refs.

Kendrick has made some mistakes, of course, but nevertheless been harshly done by this season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From Jourdan on The Athletic

“S—, third-and-1, I should have played off (coverage) instead of pressing,” Kendrick said, “(he) just made a good catch, for real. And then on the P-I … I was on top, digging back for the ball (and) trying to play through him. They said I pulled him. I just keep playing the way I’m playing, some refs are going to call it and some ain’t. And I’d say on two plays, I just (have to) stay stickier to the receiver. On the play where I got the horse collar, I’d say I’d probably (next time) play his top shoulder more instead of trying to undercut it. I probably had someone (a help player) flashing back in my window to knock his head off.”

McVay said he likes the way Kendrick competes and reiterated the need for the entire team to play “all four quarters.” He cited their failed drive coming out of the half, including their inability to turn an interception by cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon into points. Stafford agreed.

“In the same respect,” Stafford said, “our defense goes out and gets a turnover, you know Ahkello (Witherspoon) makes a great pick on a tough drive, a long drive, and shoot, gives us life. And we don’t go score. I mean, there are just opportunities for both sides of the ball to just grab the momentum and kind of run with it. We weren’t able to do it.”

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I thought he played okay until the end of the 1st half where everything got screwed. Why do we do that right before halftime, and 32 seconds left, no excuses I was more pissed at that happening again.

The DBs overall did pretty good with the time Hurtz had and he couldn't always find receivers open but obviously we need a better pass rush. I'm also getting fucking sick of Donald getting double teamed and it not opening it up for others. Really tired of that shit. No damn announcer should be saying oh look they did their job against Donald while other rushers are unable to pick up some sacks.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
My take is I am not a fan I wasn't last year and still 4he same. Yet he is what he is a 6th round talent maybe he ascends.

But my take is I doubt his record would be the same 4if this team could rush the passer. The 2 Seattle sacks were after 2 tackles went down. Vanvalkenburg's was a coverage sack after 4-5 seconds so it wasn't the pressure which was none yesterday. All that said if we had a real pass rush making the QB stressed the passes would come out quicker than the QB wants, not as accurately with pressure etc so then how would our secondary look. It's a fact teams can't hold up for 5 - 6 seconds that's insane. What's worse is Hurts enjoyed a wide huge pocket to pick out secondary apart - we must get pressure on the QB. I believe we need 2 upgrades maybe a NT and a OLB 9r 2 OLBs.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Weird how much crap Kendrick gets on here and yet on Durant it is like crickets. For a #212 pick, seems like he’s done very well. Is it his fault that he’s a young, developing CB playing so much on a team with no pass rush and weak CB group?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Weird how much crap Kendrick gets on here and yet on Durant it is like crickets. For a #212 pick, seems like he’s done very well. Is it his fault that he’s a young, developing CB playing so much on a team with no pass rush and weak CB group?
Durant looked really overmatched yesterday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He needs to play smarter. When they have limited time before half, don't try to get under the route and give up a huge play. Make the safe play and go into half time with a lead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From Jourdan on The Athletic
Even Kendrick gets it:
“S—, third-and-1, I should have played off (coverage) instead of pressing,” Kendrick said, “(he) just made a good catch, for real. And then on the P-I … I was on top, digging back for the ball (and) trying to play through him. They said I pulled him. I just keep playing the way I’m playing, some refs are going to call it and some ain’t. And I’d say on two plays, I just (have to) stay stickier to the receiver. On the play where I got the horse collar, I’d say I’d probably (next time) play his top shoulder more instead of trying to undercut it. I probably had someone (a help player) flashing back in my window to knock his head off.”

Play smarter. The risk-taking hurts the team when you aren't being situationally aware. And that's what caused me to lose my shit in the Game Day thread.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
This thread is titled Derion Kendrick.

Bench Him. Too slow for the NFL, or move to safety Or move to ILB. But I prefer the bench for him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd say be patient. We'll see if he becomes a legit starting corner by the end of the season. If he still hasn't improved they could always look to solidify the position with an experienced veteran next year. If he does improve then great. I'd also like to see Tomlinson get more playing time. He's got some ball hawking skills. Let him learn and try to limit the mistakes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even Kendrick gets it:

Play smarter. The risk-taking hurts the team when you aren't being situationally aware. And that's what caused me to lose my shit in the Game Day thread.
Agreed like I said I hope Pleasant can coach him out of the young mistakes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed like I said I hope Pleasant can coach him out of the young mistakes.
On the coaching front, Ahkello Witherspoon has been a very pleasant surprise. We brought him in as a guy nobody else really valued in FA, and he has given us quality play. I don't recall many examples of him getting burnt this year. He gives up some passes underneath, but not many big plays.

swmizzou83

Starter
Every single one of our DBs would look much better if we had anything close to a decent pass rush. No one is covering too WRs if they have 10 seconds to get open