Derion Kendrick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is exactly what I mean by people being sensitive about criticizing other players. There is no hate I have towards Kendrick. I just truly believe he's not good and said so from day one. The fact that he has no speed doesn't help him out at all. I literally said that Durant at least has speed and can maybe develop into a better CB because you cannot teach speed. I also said there's no guarantees that that would happen. I'm literally on record saying that we need to upgrade the secondary next year regardless yet somehow I'm saying Durant is the answer? I've also clearly stated that I get why Kendrick started based on our salary cap restraints. Kinda weird how I ended up in the response based on what I've posted. Guess you're only reading parts of my posts
I read it and put my overall comments attached to my reply to you about speed. The whole comment was not directed soley at you, and yes call it what you want but DK sparks enough anger that you continually post in this thread and elsewhere negatively about him. I'm not defending him I defend all the Rams players and coaches who deserve better than internet hate from fans.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I read it and put my overall comments attached to my reply to you about speed. The whole comment was not directed soley at you, and yes call it what you want but DK sparks enough anger that you continually post in this thread and elsewhere negatively about him. I'm not defending him I defend all the Rams players and coaches who deserve better than internet hate from fans.
Wow, aren't you sensitive? I just speak my opinion and post here in response to others. Sometimes that leads to a lasting back and forth with other folks where we obviously disagree. If you are bothered that much by posts, then why be on this forum? No, I'm not telling you to get off the forum. I'm just saying what do you expect? We aren't here to agree to everything and hold hands. We all have differing opinions and when I have mine I tend to hold my opinions pretty damn strong. Does that mean I'm always going to be right? No, it doesn't. I was wrong about our win projection but none of us are perfect. I do find it funny how you say you're not protecting Kendrick, but you protect all Rams players that get hate projected towards him so technically you are protecting him. I personally don't have a problem towards that. I just find it weird to get overly sensitive about stuff like that. I'll say what always say at the end of the day. Every single Rams fan on here wants the Rams to win and we all have differing opinions on what players could help us achieve those goals. To me Kendrick is not one of them in the long term. Durant is a question mark there.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
By the way, I should mention that when I respond to any of you it's more so like shit talking with a friend. I never try to send it across as mean spirited or anything like that. Just saying this because reading words off the internet makes it hard to hear that part.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
By the way, I should mention that when I respond to any of you it's more so like shit talking with a friend. I never try to send it across as mean spirited or anything like that. Just saying this because reading words off the internet makes it hard to hear that part.
No offense taken here. We all want to the Rams to win Super Bowls, bottom line, end of day!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I will say that when a player overcomes limitations or beats expectations it is something I enjoy whether I believed in him from the beginning or not. Always pull for the underdogs. It's a thing for me wrt guys who don't come in with the high draft status that is so powerful in this league. So every time Kendrick goes out there and gets the job done I enjoy it maybe a bit more than some other players doing it.

But overall players also deserve to be criticized when they don't bring it. Our boys have a lot of shit to tighten up on the back end and if they can do that this team is capable of rampaging around in the playoffs at least for a round or two.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
But overall players also deserve to be criticized when they don't bring it. Our boys have a lot of shit to tighten up on the back end and if they can do that this team is capable of rampaging around in the playoffs at least for a round or two.

Criticism doesn't bother me. What bothers the hell out me is absolutely dunking on a guy more than other players.

AK gets burned. No one bats an eye.

Other DBs get burned twice vs Ravens and the world spins on.

DK gets burned once and all hell breaks loose.

All for a 23 year old corner when you look at the big picture, and yes he def has warts, he isn't bad bad to the point he deserves to be shit on after every completion made on him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Criticism doesn't bother me. What bothers the hell out me is absolutely dunking on a guy more than other players.

AK gets burned. No one bats an eye.

Other DBs get burned twice vs Ravens and the world spins on.

DK gets burned once and all hell breaks loose.

All for a 23 year old corner when you look at the big picture, and yes he def has warts, he isn't bad bad to the point he deserves to be shit on after every completion made on him.

Well, maybe if he wasn't arrested for the same gun charge that he got popped for at Clemson, and if he didn't commit all of those penalties (like I mentioned and @JimY53 confirmed you have to go back to 2016 to find someone who had more penalties), and if he didn't yap like a little Pomeranian every time he made a tackle...

I'm sorry, letting my annoyance - and run-on sentences - show. But yeah, not a Kendrick fan. I hope he gets better this year, for the Rams' sake; I want guys like JJ3 to win a ring. But Kendrick has rubbed me the wrong way too many times to just ignore.

Ellard80

Legend
How many times Thursday were passes completed on Witherspoon? I'm not talking all year I'm talking in the last handful of weeks. He has not been good of late. I've said multiple weeks in a row. I've also pointed out this is the track record of his career. A few good games and a string of bad games. It's the way the guy plays. I'm not denying he was good early in the season. But this week he gave up completion after completion especially early in the game. He's not a good CB he's merely acceptable at times.
Is Spoon a #1 corner? maybe not.

But his metrics this year are actually about the same last year as Sauce Gardner's last year who is considered elite.

But at any rate trying to lump Witherspoon in the same category as Kendricks and Durant is just false.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Was it 2015 in Browners case? That was the last year he played. Norman was a good CB in the 5th year of a 12 year career. Hell if DK turns it around like Norman I'll take it in a heart beat.
Yes, Browner in 2015, Norman in 2016

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldn't say slowed. He hustles his butt off every snap .. was just watching that. But I wonder if there is mental fatigue. I think rookies -- once an NFL tackle has film on him they have answers. And he's still raw and does not have countermoves.

He does what he does---it worked
They get film and know how to take away what he does
He now has to come up with counter moves --- and that takes time. He's raw and got away with that because of his tremendous speed.

So I agree he's hit a wall, but I don't think he looks slower, just not ale to beat tackles like he did
Exactly what I was thinking. He’s still doing some good things though. But teams are taking away his primary tool by mitigating his speed rush.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Spoon a #1 corner? maybe not.

But his metrics this year are actually about the same last year as Sauce Gardner's last year who is considered elite.

But at any rate trying to lump Witherspoon in the same category as Kendricks and Durant is just false.
Again for the 5th time I think. He started out good, borderline very good. But he's slipped. It's a trend with him he is good for a few games and bad for multiple games after. He wasn't good this week or the last few weeks.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Durant does not do badly, just physical mismatch
Similar to the pick, match cover-3 with a LBer blitz.

Johnson rotates to the middle of the field, gives deep help to the #2 vertical, who Lake is trailing. Johnson cannot help everyone ... Fuller is rotating up...ended up in the flat with the RB

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1738806964526723146?s=20

Saints ran a go-post-go or 989 in Martz terms and whatever the short route were ...

MOF safety can only take away one deep throw ... he took away the most dangerous - the 8 or post

the outside CBs routed their guys outside, using the sideline as a second defender ...

Durant got beat. What can you do?

2023-12-23_23-23-26.jpg

Angry Ram

Well, maybe if he wasn't arrested for the same gun charge that he got popped for at Clemson, and if he didn't commit all of those penalties (like I mentioned and @JimY53 confirmed you have to go back to 2016 to find someone who had more penalties), and if he didn't yap like a little Pomeranian every time he made a tackle...

I'm sorry, letting my annoyance - and run-on sentences - show. But yeah, not a Kendrick fan. I hope he gets better this year, for the Rams' sake; I want guys like JJ3 to win a ring. But Kendrick has rubbed me the wrong way too many times to just ignore.

I made this thread based on the few games he played before that arrest, which bad timing since he got arrested shortly after I posted it.

It seems to have been resolved and hasn't had any issue since. Time to let that go. Unless he does something again then buhbbye.

The penalties I said before are a legit criticism but I'll let him develop more before and see if he can get rid of that.

Angry Ram

Shout out to DK for a PBU preventing a tud and not getting cooked again. No penalties either!

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Shout out to DK for a PBU preventing a tud and not getting cooked again. No penalties either!
He played about every 3rd series, don't know for sure ... but Durant got most of the snaps but on that rep he didn't get fooled and closed well. Am curious to see that snap count when it comes out -- betting he played about 10-15 snaps ... and we didn't notice until that play, so that's a good thing.

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1741600187364118885?s=20

Last edited:

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
There’s definitely a good player in there. He’s even- dare I say it- potentially good enough to be a solid #2 corner.

He just has to cut out the boneheadedness- both on and off the field.

I’d get a shutdown corner either through free agency or in the draft, and let Derion try to stake his claim to play every week in training camp and the preseason.