Demise of the Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It is a team game. Besides Mcvay, what coaching put him in position to win. Besides under Mcvay, what team gave him good receivers. Besides Mcvay has he had good blocking in front of him. No other QB takes ALL the blame for team failures and none of credit for wins. I don't think he is playing well, but his team sucked his rookie year and it sucks now.

Um...I don't want to be rude, but is there any reason you quoted my post on hyenas? ;)

Tano

Legend
I, in no way, was suggesting that I would not want to have JJ and Hill on the Rams this year. However, it is notable that they are not elite players that can't be replaced. I also think that, in this year's scheme, Hill would likely be giving up a lot of completions, just as DWill and other Rams CBs (not named Ramsey) have been. JJ, I believe, would be making more of an impact, but you can't pay everyone.
I wasn't too upset losing Hill - I figured he was replaceable but Johnson was another story altogether.

But we couldn't keep both Floyd and Johnson.

However, I felt we had good depth at Safety and was hoping Burgess could take over the Johnson spot. Not sure what is going on there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed. the GSOT rams had a #10 defense I believe. Good enough to win.
Our defense that year was one of the best units in the league all season long and also played well in the playoffs.

They were incredibly stingy on points allowed, giving up only 15.1 points per game which was good for 4th in the league that season.

The run defense was also particularly stout, they allowed only 3.5 yards per carry which was also ranked 4th in the league.

The defense ended up saving our asses in the playoffs too, as the Tampa game would have ended in disappointment if we had not been so good on that side of the ball.

This year is way different from '99 in that way. We don't have a defense that is going to go start to finish with high performance. But that's ok if they finish strong. And IMO if we want to win it all they're going to have to finish strong.

They are in the top 10 now in points allowed, and have a chance to climb higher vs some opponents coming up, but they also are going to be missing Williams so we'll see how that goes. I think a big part of it is Morris too and how he calls the game, so I expect him to get better as we go forward as well.

What the Rams look like to me right now is that team who has the crazy upside and might turn everything on at the right time. On both sides of the ball. But all that's gonna come down to injuries and how well Morris picks up the defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It is a team game. Besides Mcvay, what coaching put him in position to win. Besides under Mcvay, what team gave him good receivers. Besides Mcvay has he had good blocking in front of him. No other QB takes ALL the blame for team failures and none of credit for wins. I don't think he is playing well, but his team sucked his rookie year and it sucks now.
What coaching put him in a position to win ? -I’d say his whole coaching staff,top to bottom.

You talk about WR? I’d say Yarber is a highly respected WR coach. Talk about Offensive line? There you go,I’d say the coaching staff has always done well.I like change to a point that turnover goes to quickly.
I’d say Sean McVay’s coaching tree is pretty solid.Which coaches don’t you like? Mcvay likes to delegate responsibility,but at the end of the day he takes full ownership of team.

I don’t even need to talk about Losers without him.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Our defense that year was one of the best units in the league all season long and also played well in the playoffs.

They were incredibly stingy on points allowed, giving up only 15.1 points per game which was good for 4th in the league that season.

The run defense was also particularly stout, they allowed only 3.5 yards per carry which was also ranked 4th in the league.

The defense ended up saving our asses in the playoffs too, as the Tampa game would have ended in disappointment if we had not been so good on that side of the ball.

This year is way different from '99 in that way. We don't have a defense that is going to go start to finish with high performance. But that's ok if they finish strong. And IMO if we want to win it all they're going to have to finish strong.

They are in the top 10 now in points allowed, and have a chance to climb higher vs some opponents coming up, but they also are going to be missing Williams so we'll see how that goes. I think a big part of it is Morris too and how he calls the game, so I expect him to get better as we go forward as well.

What the Rams look like to me right now is that team who has the crazy upside and might turn everything on at the right time. On both sides of the ball. But all that's gonna come down to injuries and how well Morris picks up the defense.

I agree with your assessment, but I believe the GSOT run defense was really good, but benefited from the Rams blowing so many teams out that they abandoned the run to play catch up. Thank goodness they had a great game against the bucs and had just enough to preserve the win against the Titans.

Had super bowl 34 gone to OT and we didn't get the ball first our defense would have been in some trouble. They were gassed by the end of the game.