Definitely moving to MN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Minnesota has two seasons

10 months of winter and two months of road construction

daduntsh.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Florida blows chunks, and that's why I moved to Asheville. But don't you wanna try a couple of weeks up there in the winter first? We visited up here during all 4 seasons before we decided to move. The winter was rough even here in the mountains of N.C. It snowed, it was about 20 degrees, and windy as hell. That's a mild day in Minnesota in Jan/Feb though.

I'd love to, it's just hard to get 6 people up there for at least 4-5 days. That's easily 3-4 grand on the cheap and with everything else, I just don't have it.

That said, the two least flexible people with respect to temperature did exceedingly well when temps got below freezing and actually loved the snow.

Now, is it entirely different when it's below zero? Yeah, of course. But just like in Florida when it's 90+ degrees with 90+ percent humidity, one spends most of the time in the house, car or building of some sort. Same anywhere with extreme temps, be it MN or AK or AZ or TX or FL. And actually, most of us are looking forward to "braving the cold" to do various social activities.

The important thing for us is that all of us seem to respond to the people there in a manner in which we much more often answer to our greater angels rather than our lesser demons. Fewer sarcastic remarks, little more patience, giving loved ones the benefit of the doubt more often...that sort of thing.

Maybe it's just a vibe thing. I dunno, honestly. Maybe it's because Caribou Coffee is a fun place and about 1000x better than Starbucks. (It really is)

And if I could do multiple trips, I most assuredly would because that's very smart. Don't need someone saying in February "what the hell did I sign up for???"

But we're a tight crew and it's usually the "if" portion that gets us. We're pretty good figuring out the "how). Now that everyone's all in on "if", I'm hoping and praying that the "how" portion gets worked out.

If I come into some money, though, you can bet I'll head us up there. Won't be in February, tho. The Super Bowl is in Minneapolis this year and you wouldn't believe how much people are charging for their houses...

I mean they're asking and getting $5k/day and UP for either apartments next to the stadium or houses nearby. So...yeah. Not gonna do that. Maybe later in February or March....LOL.

Then again, when the Rams make the Super Bowl, maybe I'll finally sell that extra kidney I got layin' around and do it...LOL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good luck in your travels, and since they have internet there we dont lose you like Florida did!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
get used to a whole bunch of days like this

:yess:

below.jpg

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Holy crap, I couldn't stop laughing.

I already had the talk with the family about mittens.

Fam: I don't like mittens, I'm sure I'll be fine with gloves.

Me: ... Um no. When it gets really cold, you're gonna want mittens and hand warmers

Fam: Really?

Me: ... You know how I feel about spending money. We don't all just need mittens, we need GOOD mittens...

Fam: Oooooh...

Oh, and I still do that Great White North intro when waking people up. No one knows what I'm doing or talking about, but I crack myself up all the same LOL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love Minnesota. The people were friendly, but the Cross Country skiing was even better. I live in PA and had off from Dec 23 to mid March every year. I had a friend in North Dakota so I would go visit him. Drinking, dance clubs, chicks...Grand Forks was a lot of fun. We would ski at 11:00 pm. The snow was crystallized and perfect. It would be 20 below so we kept everything covered but generated plenty of heat to stay warm while skiing.

We would go over to Minnesota often. I Skied over the Mississippi river there! The headwaters that is, up near Bimigi. The best memory I have is when we drove to Ely. We paid to dog sled. We were very fit, so we chose the forest trail. What a hoot. It was rough and physical but Damn those dogs could move in the straight parts. We had so much fun with the owner that he gave us an extra hour and a half free. He loves going through the narrow Forrest trails, but most clients choose the open frozen lake option. I highly recommend either. It is beautiful up that way.

As for the temperatures, your body adjusts. I don't know if it adjusts to shoveling snow but there are ways around that. Jim came home one winter in PA. It was 28 degrees and our first cold spell. He had his jacket open and just a T-shirt under it. He said it felt warm after being in -20. Like I said, your body adjusts to it.

I am not sure about Minnesota, but Grand Forks in the summer was very humid. Not like that sticky ocean humid that you get in Florida, but still sweat your balls off humid, in July and August.

Fla to Minn. is quite the move. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good luck with your move, Mack!! :D

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Hey , they did mention that all new residents of Minnesota are required by law to take the Polar Plunge

it's like a state law or summtin , wife , kids , everybody

here's a video of all the 2011 new state residents

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Hey , they did mention that all new residents of Minnesota are required by law to take the Polar Plunge

it's like a state law or summtin , wife , kids , everybody

here's a video of all the 2011 new state residents

Yeah....that's not happening...LOL.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
friendly neighbors

There's actually a Grumpy/Grumpier Old Men Festival in Wabasha, MN every year.

It's on our list of "things to do the first year"