Deep Draft Sleepers/UDFA guys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsinNV

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love hearing about how well he blocks. But that 4.64/40 at 271 lbs. really opened my eyes.
Tip must have read my OP bashing his athleticism. I was really impressed when I scrolled through his combine numbers. Assuming he will be rising up boards next few weeks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anyone who thinks power lines are "bird recharging stations" and says "baby pigeons don't exist" doesn't deserve to be drafted. Period. He could be the next Vernon Davis in athletic score, and I still wouldn't touch him, and Reiman's not nearly talented enough as a pass-catcher to justify it.

Just because someone runs fast doesn't make them a good receiver.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Fate almighty, am I high on Jalyx Hunt (edge, Houston Christian). He's got a huge build (6'4", 252 lbs.), could put on even more pounds, was a former safety and still has the athleticism of a safety. But he's shown real instincts at edge, knows how to set up offensive linemen. He's raw as hell, but he could absolutely become elite when he gets the position down.

RamsinNV

UDFA
Thanks for mentioning Jalyx Hunt. Really doubt I would have checked him out at all without the name drop here. Interesting prospect and path to the draft. I think he would be a potential fit for the Rams. You can see the inexperience for sure but also some potential. He would probably be a practice squad guy for a few years to develop at the position. Some of these mock sims have him ranked above Mo Kamara and Xavier Thomas and definitely don’t agree with that just based on how raw he is and the time I feel he would need to get into the field.

Oh and Memento- I feel like Tip Rieman’s bird comment was likely satire; he seems like a pretty smart guy and team player. After all, these are guys we are looking at for all those picks at 209 and after.

Last edited:

RamsinNV

UDFA
Great video. Thanks for posting. His 10-yard split is something the Rams will be looking at ; a sign of explosiveness
I watched this today as well. Subscribed just to hear Steve Smith give commentary and feedback. Another interesting late round guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Javon Baker recruited by Alabama but transferred to UCF. 3rd round projection

IMG_8973.jpeg

View: https://youtu.be/b_9AHPEhedc?si=1_bj5ESrPcKFzBcb

Memento

Name
Jemma
Jordan Whittington is my love when it comes to late round receivers. He reminds me so much of Puka Nacua and Amon-Ra St. Brown. He's not fast at all (he's already being caught from behind by college safeties) and doesn't have the elite measurables teams look for (6'1", 205 lbs.), but he's gets insane YAC due to physically breaking tackles, he's got surprising wiggle and elusiveness in the open field, he's got just as good hands and catch radius as Nacua, has incredibly high football IQ, runs technically-sound routes, blocks well in the run, even without the speed to threaten deep. That's the main catch. He's really, really slow, and as we've seen with Nacua and St. Brown, that'll knock him down.

Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ja'Tavion Sanders, and Jonathon Brooks may get the most highlights of the Texas Longhorns weapons, and deservedly so, but Whittington was the solid physical possession chains-mover, the glue player, and like Nacua and St. Brown, he will be a better pro than he was a college player.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Speaking of sleepers...I honestly had a lot of fun watching UTSA's three starting receivers when they all played.

De'Corian Clark had a bad leg injury and he decided to take a medical redshirt, so he won't be out until at least 2024, but he's a freak athlete at his best: a 6'4", 205 lbs. receiver who can take the top off a defense.

Zakhari Franklin was amazing at UTSA but transferred to Ole Miss and never played for whatever reason (Lame Kiffin never told reporters why.), and he decided to declare for this year's draft. 6'1", 185 lbs. Probably an UDFA, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a chance on him in the seventh; probably one of the silkiest smooth route runners in the draft.

But Joshua Cephus...hot damn, he could be the most naturally talented of all three of those former UTSA receivers. 6'2", 185 lbs., quite thin frame, but blazing fast, huge catch radius, can leap out of the roof, smart route-runner (not as smooth as Franklin, but still really good). The main issue is vetting his character. I've heard conflicting reports. On one hand, he got arrested for a DUI after a rollover accident a couple of weeks after it happened and was suspended for the bowl game because of it, and apparently, he violated the bond conditions. But on the other hand, he's been extremely mature about the whole thing, hasn't once ducked responsibility, and his teammates and coaches love him (the main example is this: single digit numbers are important to UTSA when it comes to team captains and the team, and coaches vote on who gets which number. His teammates and coaches voted unanimously for him to take the number 2, and he initially refused it because he felt it would be hypocritical after his DUI. His coach had to basically force him to take the number because he didn't feel that one mistake should define him.)

So you'd obviously have to vet character, and he'd obviously be a seventh-round pick, but Cephus could be a very good receiver in the mold of Ceedee Lamb. Dead serious, that's whose style he reminds me of. Same height, weight, frame, etc.