Debunking the myths of the Rams in Los Angeles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Debunking the myths of the Rams in Los Angeles
11:08 AM ET
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

Thirty-five days now separate Los Angeles Rams home games. They last played at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, against the division-rival Seattle Seahawks, on Oct. 8. Tickets sold for that game were announced at 60,745 -- only about 4,000 shy of capacity, but a discouraging figure when considering a greater L.A. area that houses 13 million people.

The Rams won't return home again until they host the Houston Texans on Nov. 12, at which point one may determine whether momentum in this market is starting to turn in their favor.

"Here's the thing: There's too many things to do in L.A.," Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson said earlier this year. "Nobody cares about a team that's not winning, and that's just a fact. If you're not putting something on the field that people want to see, they're not going to be interested in it. Not in L.A."

But the Rams are exciting under first-year head coach Sean McVay, who has breathed life into a spiritless offense and has turned the Rams (4-2) into what looks like a legitimate contender. So, what will it take for L.A. to truly rally behind this team again, the way it appeared to when the Rams first returned last year? What will it take for the Rams to carve a space in this robust market; a market that basically forgot about them while they stumbled?

Only time will tell.

In the meantime, here are some myths about the Rams in L.A. that are worth expanding on.

Myth No. 1: Attendance is way down at the Coliseum

Well, it is down. Way down. A recent FiveThirtyEight story stated that the Rams are on pace for the sharpest year-to-year attendance decline in the past quarter century by a wide margin. Through the first three of seven regular-season home games -- they're losing one to London -- the Rams are averaging 59,162 fans at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. That's 25,295 fewer than last year's NFL-leading total of 84,457.

But there are a few things one must keep in mind.

First: No matter what, the Rams weren't going to draw more than about 65,000 fans to their games. They capped their capacity there at least in part because it became a logistical nightmare to host a pro football game with 85,000 people at a 94-year-old facility, with water not readily available and fans having a hard time accessing restrooms. Also, interest was never going to match what it was in 2016, the end of a 22-year run without an NFL team in the nation's second-largest media market.

Still, Rams vice president of ticket sales and premium seating Jake Bye admitted during the summer that the season-ticket renewals were even "lower than we anticipated."

"And I think a lot of that is more indicative of just Year 1 and just the extraordinary response we had last year," Bye said. "You can't fully understand that until you have something to compare that against. And seeing the normalization of the number of seats people purchase and the average seats per season-ticket member, I think that is certainly something that, though we anticipated that to some degree, I think was more prevalent than we would've thought."

Myth No. 2: The Rams don't know how to match

The Rams became the subject of ridicule when it came time to wear their blue jerseys on the road against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 4. They're the same blue-and-gold shirts they wore in St. Louis, but they look hideous when paired with the blue-and-white helmets and pants that are new this season. Why on earth would the Rams assemble a uniform combination that clashes so badly? In short, because the NFL made them.

Teams can't change their jerseys until they go through an entire uniform redesign. Why didn't the Rams just change their uniforms now? Because it's at least a two-year process, and, according to the team, they couldn't start that process until the relocation. They're currently working with Nike to unveil new uniforms for the 2019 or 2020 season, the latter being the year they move into the new stadium in Inglewood, California.

In the meantime, the Rams wanted to get rid of the gold from their logo and anywhere else they could. It looks fine -- passable, at least -- when the Rams wear white at home, but is way off when they are forced to wear their blue jerseys on the road. Have no fear: The Rams aren't expected to wear their blue tops any more during the regular season because none of their remaining road opponents will be wearing white jerseys.

The Rams are 2-0 in their blue tops, and Todd Gurley was recently asked if that meant they should just keep wearing them.

His response: "No!"

Myth No. 3: There are no die-hard Rams fans in L.A.

The Rams have real, honest-to-goodness history in Los Angeles. They were there from 1946 to 1994. They played out of Orange County, just south of L.A., in the final 14 years of their previous stint on the West coast. But they returned with real roots in this market. The organization made a Super Bowl trip and 20 other playoff appearances out here, while Hall of Famers like Dickerson, Jack Youngblood, Deacon Jones, Jackie Slater, Merlin Olsen, Norm Van Brocklin and Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch made their mark in Southern California.

There's an entire segment of Los Angeles that grew up rooting for the Rams and was thus crushed when they left. Some burned jerseys, others begrudgingly followed along while their team played in St. Louis. And more than 70,000 of them helped make up a Facebook group entitled "Bring Back The Los Angeles Rams," until they actually came back.

"Many people think there aren't fans of the Rams here in L.A. or in California, but there are a lot of fans," said Joe Ramirez, a lifelong Rams fan who is a part of the So Cal Rams Booster Club. "If there weren't fans here in L.A., I assure you that the Rams wouldn't have come back here."

Now they just need more of them to start showing up.

[kwese.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again the Rams have taken all the right steps to increase fans with the hiring of Sean McVay and they just have to keep winning and people will come....Also the uniforms have not helped, but the NFL has been absolutely ludicrous not allowing exceptions especially considering the history, if they allowed the Rams to don the throwbacks and even throwbacks whites as well to coincide with their days in Los Angeles before the opening of the new stadium all would be fine in that area, but the NFL led by the clueless Roger Goodell, have never read Thomas Paine's "Common Sense."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Have no fear: The Rams aren't expected to wear their blue tops any more during the regular season because none of their remaining road opponents will be wearing white jerseys.
This is great News to me!!(y)(y):yay:

The Rams have real, honest-to-goodness history in Los Angeles. They were there from 1946 to 1994. They played out of Orange County, just south of L.A., in the final 14 years of their previous stint on the West coast. But they returned with real roots in this market. The organization made a Super Bowl trip and 20 other playoff appearances out here, while Hall of Famers like Dickerson, Jack Youngblood, Deacon Jones, Jackie Slater, Merlin Olsen, Norm Van Brocklin and Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch made their mark in Southern California.
The writer of this piece missed mentioning a lot of other Hall of Famers, Like Bob Waterfield - Les Richter - Robustelli and others!!
"Many people think there aren't fans of the Rams here in L.A. or in California, but there are a lot of fans," said Joe Ramirez, a lifelong Rams fan who is a part of the So Cal Rams Booster Club. "If there weren't fans here in L.A., I assure you that the Rams wouldn't have come back here."

This is right, on both counts!:mrburnsevil:

RedRam

Pro Bowler

I am a season ticket holder that lives 347 miles north of the Coliseum. Ideal? Not so much. Worth it? To me, freak yeah!

I guess a lot of "fans" have been waiting for a team to show up. Well, the team is here and they're showing up every game. It's time for the Rams fans to step up and do the same! :coach:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No mention of the NFL's "Red-Headed Stepchild" , LA's other NFL team and their dismal attendance? LA Chargers QB Phillip Rivers had to go to a hard count because the home crowd was mostly fans of the other team (Eagles), and they can't even draw 25,000.

I don't believe Kroenke considers average crowds of over 55,000 a problem.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The NFL is showing how NOT to transition a new team in the second largest media market by denying us the opportunity to wear different uniforms. Let's make the product on the field even more shittier, great job NFL and Goodell. (y)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I am a season ticket holder that lives 347 miles north of the Coliseum. Ideal? Not so much. Worth it? To me, freak yeah!

I guess a lot of "fans" have been waiting for a team to show up. Well, the team is here and they're showing up every game. It's time for the Rams fans to step up and do the same! :coach:
Where do you live, around Lodi? I grew up in the Bay Area in the 70s and 80s and my dad had season tickets in the Anaheim years. Good times. Worth the drive. (y)

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Where do you live, around Lodi? I grew up in the Bay Area in the 70s and 80s and my dad had season tickets in the Anaheim years. Good times. Worth the drive. (y)
South Bay. Campbell to be exact. I grew up here, was out of the area for 22 years and change, and have been back here for a year now. I had been living in the Santa Clarita area for six years, the Rams come back and I have to leave. Go figure...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The NFL is showing how NOT to transition a new team in the second largest media market by denying us the opportunity to wear different uniforms. Let's make the product on the field even more shittier, great job NFL and Goodell. (y)

I get the concern about setting a precedence or making an exception... but it really is/was a questionable decision.

Let's take a stand on this issue. Yeah, that's a good idea.

(For the record, I like the blue/white, but not with the blue jersey).

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

[kwese.espn.com]

What could be more die-hard than fans still passionate after the team was gone for over 20 years?

I was so inspired by the Bring Back the LA Rams groups, etc.

Don't have the numbers with me, but the Rams are near the top of the list of most players in the Hall. You can add glaring exception Roman Gabriel--who was far more valuable than many current HOFers--to that.

Ram65

Legend
It is just different in L.A. as far as pro football is concerned than many other cities. Fans drop out in other places come week 12 or so if the team isn't winning. That's human nature I guess. In Phila. the Eagles are part of the culture win or lose. Sure, come the last couple of home games if they aren't winning tickets are easier to get but, not the first few games.

This what I expected. The Coliseum isn't going to make people want to come. The new stadium will for awhile. If they win regularly it will @ 65 to 70 K. The problem may be the cost of tickets later on for the average fan and family. Love the diehard Rams fans but, I don't think there are enough right now.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ram65--- cheapest seat at StubHub for Broncos-Chargers, 180$$ (@stubhub.com) 175$$ (@vividseats.com)

StubHub might just be packed for a change (with Bronco fans) Rivers will have to use a hard count on third downs.

fearsomefour

Legend
General rule, California sports fan stink.
Attendance is down everywhere in the NFL.
I have seen plenty of empty seats in a lot of games this year. The NFL is being led by a commissioner who always (it seems) makes the wrong call on things. Doesn't make exceptions when he should, doesn't put his foot down when he should, takes stands in the wrong things. He is like a tone deaf bandleader.
One element is the NFL has made the TV product so much better (and more affordable) than the live product.

Ellard80

Legend
That article was funny.. besides myth #3 he didn't debunk any of them...

I honestly don't care which city the Rams play in... I'll always be a fan.

I have a much better chance of going to a game in Socal then I do in St Louis... since I go to Cali to visit family in orange county...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wouldn't debunking myths mean that these things aren't true and he is presenting facts to prove they are false?

He's kinda doing the opposite eh?

Myth No. 1: Attendance is way down at the Coliseum

Well, it is down. Way down. A recent FiveThirtyEight story stated that the Rams are on pace for the sharpest year-to-year attendance decline in the past quarter century by a wide margin. Through the first three of seven regular-season home games -- they're losing one to London -- the Rams are averaging 59,162 fans at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. That's 25,295 fewer than last year's NFL-leading total of 84,457.

But there are a few things one must keep in mind.

First: No matter what, the Rams weren't going to draw more than about 65,000 fans to their games. They capped their capacity there at least in part because it became a logistical nightmare to host a pro football game with 85,000 people at a 94-year-old facility, with water not readily available and fans having a hard time accessing restrooms. Also, interest was never going to match what it was in 2016, the end of a 22-year run without an NFL team in the nation's second-largest media market.

That college team gets more people than 65K on Saturdays. Do the 13 dollar beers come out faster on Sundays? Is it impossible to have as much water on hand as they do for a college game?

NO.

They can't sell as many tickets, so they changed the capacity.

Still, Rams vice president of ticket sales and premium seating Jake Bye admitted during the summer that the season-ticket renewals were even "lower than we anticipated."

"And I think a lot of that is more indicative of just Year 1 and just the extraordinary response we had last year," Bye said. "You can't fully understand that until you have something to compare that against. And seeing the normalization of the number of seats people purchase and the average seats per season-ticket member, I think that is certainly something that, though we anticipated that to some degree, I think was more prevalent than we would've thought."

Capping it at 65K and not selling out. A stadium is being built to seat 80K and expand to 100K.

Myth No. 2: The Rams don't know how to match

The Rams became the subject of ridicule when it came time to wear their blue jerseys on the road against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 4. They're the same blue-and-gold shirts they wore in St. Louis, but they look hideous when paired with the blue-and-white helmets and pants that are new this season. Why on earth would the Rams assemble a uniform combination that clashes so badly? In short, because the NFL made them.

Teams can't change their jerseys until they go through an entire uniform redesign. Why didn't the Rams just change their uniforms now? Because it's at least a two-year process, and, according to the team, they couldn't start that process until the relocation. They're currently working with Nike to unveil new uniforms for the 2019 or 2020 season, the latter being the year they move into the new stadium in Inglewood, California.

In the meantime, the Rams wanted to get rid of the gold from their logo and anywhere else they could. It looks fine -- passable, at least -- when the Rams wear white at home, but is way off when they are forced to wear their blue jerseys on the road. Have no fear: The Rams aren't expected to wear their blue tops any more during the regular season because none of their remaining road opponents will be wearing white jerseys.

The Rams are 2-0 in their blue tops, and Todd Gurley was recently asked if that meant they should just keep wearing them.

His response: "No!"

The NFL did NOT make them do this. Demoff and the Rams made this decision. Nobody forced them to change the helmet and the pants. They did that all on their own. And did a shit job.

Why blame the NFL for something they didn't do? Lame!

There's an entire segment of Los Angeles that grew up rooting for the Rams and was thus crushed when they left. Some burned jerseys, others begrudgingly followed along while their team played in St. Louis. And more than 70,000 of them helped make up a Facebook group entitled "Bring Back The Los Angeles Rams," until they actually came back.

I guess the 70K members of the FB group aren't interested in buying tickets LOL.

The history in LA means pretty close to next to nothing right now. Well over two decades fades things. This statement by Joe Ramirez is pure fantasy "If there weren't fans here in L.A., I assure you that the Rams wouldn't have come back here." Kroenke would have moved the team to LV or SD or anywhere else he felt he could fleece fans, he doesn't care about the history in LA and in fact only bought part of the team on the condition that it moved OUT of LA. He's going to try to create a new fan base and doesn't care about the history of the team one bit.

As an aside I think it's funny as fuck that people keep saying "there is so much else to do in LA if the team doesn't win people will do something else. As if that's some special trait the LA market possesses. How arrogant. And misguided.

It doesn't matter where the team is, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, Baltimore, San Francisco, or any other market. If you don't win people will find something else to do with their $500 and 5 hours. The second smallest market in the NFL used to sell out all the time and in the last few years had to cover seats to avoid embarrassment and blackouts. The Browns, with one of the most loyal and active and fervent group of fans are seeing empty seats.

It has NOTHING to do with what else the market has to offer for entertainment. If you aren't winning and in the race people aren't going to hand over 500 bucks, they will stay home and watch TV.