Darrell Henderson poised to make big leap in Year 2?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let’s agree to disagree. Watch this please.

View: https://youtu.be/NerPWWaS0Lg
disagree by reasons posted above

I can show you a highlight film of Kyle Boller, doesnt mean I want him back at QB.
I'm just going off what I see the Rams doing, and how they are planning. And based off that, I reiterate that if MB has any sort of significant role, thats not good.
He def showed something back in 2017, looked like we had a little something with him. But when they needed him most, he got hurt. So what did the Rams do? They invested in the RB position by not only drafting an RB in the 3rd round, they traded up to do so.
And after a season, where none of the RB's looked particularly good, they invested again in RB, this time a 2nd rounder, which was their 1st pick in the draft.
So to me its pretty clear where the Rams see the production of their RB's going. The guys they've invested in

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can show you a highlight film of Kyle Boller, doesnt mean I want him back at QB.
I'm just going off what I see the Rams doing, and how they are planning. And based off that, I reiterate that if MB has any sort of significant role, thats not good.
He def showed something back in 2017, looked like we had a little something with him. But when they needed him most, he got hurt. So what did the Rams do? They invested in the RB position by not only drafting an RB in the 3rd round, they traded up to do so.
And after a season, where none of the RB's looked particularly good, they invested again in RB, this time a 2nd rounder, which was their 1st pick in the draft.
So to me its pretty clear where the Rams see the production of their RB's going. The guys they've invested in

They still signed Malcom Brown back last year. He is the veteran of the bunch. I don’t see him getting many more carries than he has in the past,but he still is a good 3rd down back at times.Henderson will get more situational 3rd Reps as well. My point being he is a good mentor & brings a positive to the position. He will be gone in 2021.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They still signed Malcom Brown back last year. He is the veteran of the bunch. I don’t see him getting many more carries than he has in the past,but he still is a good 3rd down back at times.Henderson will get more situational 3rd Reps as well. My point being he is a good mentor & brings a positive to the position. He will be gone in 2021.
They didnt sign him, Detroit did. And because the contract was so team friendly, the Rams matched it. They would have paid him more had Detroit not signed him to an offer sheet.
His salary isnt guaranteed and I would be surprised if he's even on the team after final cuts.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They didnt sign him, Detroit did. And because the contract was so team friendly, the Rams matched it. They would have paid him more had Detroit not signed him to an offer sheet.
His salary isnt guaranteed and I would be surprised if he's even on the team after final cuts.

LMAO - yeah great !! A hater. That’s cool. Mcvay I’m sure is not going to
cut Malcom Brown. It’s against everything he stands for & is about.

Suprise not

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LMAO - yeah great !! A hater. That’s cool. Mcvay I’m sure is not going to
cut Malcom Brown. It’s against everything he stands for & is about.

Suprise not
A hater?
So I dont share your view and that makes me a hater?
McVay cut Gurley but wont cut Malcolm Brown?
Good grief

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
A hater?
So I dont share your view and that makes me a hater?
McVay cut Gurley but wont cut Malcolm Brown?
Good grief

Yeah Charlie Brown. It’s called we not me. Malcom Brown has been a solid special teams guy as well. There is that as well.
I just don’t see your evaluation the same way at all.Goff & Mcvay both like him.He is the best pass blocking RB on The Rams. He is no Faulk from NE,but brings a certain type of leadership that Mcvay likes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Charlie Brown. It’s called we not me. Malcom Brown has been a solid special teams guy as well. There is that as well.
I just don’t see your evaluation the same way at all.Goff & Mcvay both like him.He is the best pass blocking RB on The Rams. He is no Faulk from NE,but brings a certain type of leadership that Mcvay likes.
Its not my evaluation, its the Rams. 2nd pick of 2018 draft, RB. 1st pick of 2019 Draft, RB.
"We not Me" ? Yeah, ok. Mike Thomas was great ST player. Gone. Brandin Cooks sacrificed his noggin, but he's gone. Teams make decisions on every player. And the guys who help win are the guys who get to stay. Period.
So back on topic, I fully expect Henderson to take a huge step forward and Akers to assume the #1 RB role. So if Brown is playing any kind of significant role, that's a problem

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wouldn't be surprised if Brown cut or traded for a conditional pick, but he's not starting or getting snaps over Akers and Henderson. Akers is the reliable bellcow, while Henderson represents a big-play waiting to happen.

Brown does neither of those things well, and has been hurt the last two years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its not my evaluation, its the Rams. 2nd pick of 2018 draft, RB. 1st pick of 2019 Draft, RB.
"We not Me" ? Yeah, ok. Mike Thomas was great ST player. Gone. Brandin Cooks sacrificed his noggin, but he's gone. Teams make decisions on every player. And the guys who help win are the guys who get to stay. Period.
So back on topic, I fully expect Henderson to take a huge step forward and Akers to assume the #1 RB role. So if Brown is playing any kind of significant role, that's a problem

HATER - yes!! Go by the facts then and rephrase your question??

maybe I’m the Hater to some Ram Fans train of thought. Then I got blasted about Todd Gurley & my take was way before any saw it. In fact my post got taken down. Last offseason we were not even really able to discuss him & he had a post of his own.

so I guess my point is Darrell Henderson needs to Step Up !!!
He has not scored a TD for The Rams yet .

5 TD’s for Brown who only had 1 TD in his whole career before that. Yes I get your point,but your discrediting Malcom Brown because your defense was that he will be CUT ???
To compare Malcolm Brown to Mike Thomas is a joke,because Malcom Brown is the Veteran in the RB room. When Gurley got cut who did all eyes go to by Mcvay as a player he had trust in ??
Fair enough I do not know that for sure , but my insight & track record is pretty solid.

Just because a writer establishes a view point does not make it true. A lot of times it is fake news. You have 1 interview & 3 storylines on it ? Which one do you believe?? Malcom Brown will be a key Ram in 2020 as a mentor & team leader, or Malcom Brown has a good chance of getting cut ??

yes I hope Henderson takes a HUGE step forward because that shows McSnead made a solid draft pick..
Akers is a Total unknown in 2020. He has yet to step on the Grass. Here it is basically July.

BTW - The Rams traded back and took Taylor Rapp with there first pick in the 2nd rd. Henderson was a 3rd pick just ahead of David Long.

I think both Malcom Brown & Troy Hill is what Mcvay & his coaching staff is about. If these 2 players are at the end of the depth chart this Rams Roster is stacked.When Ogletree got traded Cory Littleton had to step up. So who knows what the ceiling is for a player.I do know both players a Mcvay system guys.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wouldn't be surprised if Brown cut or traded for a conditional pick, but he's not starting or getting snaps over Akers and Henderson. Akers is the reliable bellcow, while Henderson represents a big-play waiting to happen.

Brown does neither of those things well, and has been hurt the last two years.

Lol - your talking Hypothetical. You have no prove right now. Malcom Brown is the Veteran right now. Darrell Henderson please score a TD. Akers do you know where Thousand Oaks is yet or hanging in a Florida bar drinking Corona’s with a tequila shot ??

I’m not taking upside & future right now. Let’s stay with the 2020 season.
Love how the Haters come out & give certain Players A Free Pass ?? Earn it!!!

oldnotdead

Legend
This team has a very interesting depth chart at RB. Both Akers and Henderson have similar and complementary skill sets. The offense doesn't change when either is in. Brown will have a role to play as well. Brown has been used in a basic perimeter run attack offense, and that doesn't play to his skill set. Brown has good speed but not what could be called breakaway speed. He's shown good power and decent explosion. The problem with Brown's showing thus far is that he's really not a perimeter runner. IMO he's the kind of RB you want in a between the tackles power game. He's becoming a decent pass blocker as well.

IMO each of the RBs will have a role to play in this offense. All the RBs will see their share of snaps during the season. I think what both Snead and McVay learned from Gurley is that a bell-cow RB really isn't necessary if the offense is moving to a balanced attack. Having 3 good RBs allows the Rams to control the game and in doing so to wear down defenses. McVay will keep defenses in their nickel and pound them with his RBs who because of their rotation will be still fresh into the 4th quarter. I can see them using Ackers and Henderson early to help them build a lead. Both of these backs can score from anywhere on the field. Then when playing with a lead the Rams can pound them with a fresh Brown.

The Rams talk about giving Goff more "ownership" of the game. Which I interpret to mean he's going to be allowed to read defenses and call the final play option at the LOS. If he sees a light box with the MIKE in an advantageous position he can opt to a power run. If they stack the box Goff will make the call at the LOS to a pass. Not really an RPO but more akin to the type of pocket passer resembling that of Rivers and Brees. The trend is to the RPO running QB, but IMO the classic pocket passer is hardly out of vogue. This offense is being structured to dominate and control the game. Both the passing attack and run attack will be deadly and it will not be dependent upon any single RB or WR to do it. The depth on offense at the skill positions is awesome being 3 deep at WR, RB and TE. I don't see any offense that has that kind of depth. Defenses will not be tipped to the play by what players are on the field and they will not be able to stop the offense by simply taking away a single offensive weapon. The Rams can run or pass with the same offensive package on the field.

Akers and Jefferson have changed how this offense can be played. it's going to look similar to 2018 but improved because of the development of Henderson and Everett and the emergence of Higbee.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Brown shouldn't have more than 5 carries per game. Otherwise we'll be seeing him on the sideline nursing some injury.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW - The Rams traded back and took Taylor Rapp with there first pick in the 2nd rd. Henderson was a 3rd pick just ahead of David Long.
Right, like I said, Henderson was their second pick, Akers was their first. I just messed up the years 2019 and 2020.
The rest of your post is a jumbled mess.
You dont like Henderson because he didnt score a TD in his 1st season? But you like Brown who didnt score until his 3rd year and only had 1 in his first 4 years? Crazy.
But ok then, you dont like DH, and frankly I'm not going to rush to his defense because I wasnt overly impressed by him. Still, he gets the rookie pass and clearly the run game as a whole was an issue last year. But if Henderson has a bad training camp and pre-season and falls behind Brown on the depth chart? That would be a problem as it would turn out that DH was a wasted investment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Right, like I said, Henderson was their second pick, Akers was their first. I just messed up the years 2019 and 2020.
The rest of your post is a jumbled mess.
You dont like Henderson because he didnt score a TD in his 1st season? But you like Brown who didnt score until his 3rd year and only had 1 in his first 4 years? Crazy.
But ok then, you dont like DH, and frankly I'm not going to rush to his defense because I wasnt overly impressed by him. Still, he gets the rookie pass and clearly the run game as a whole was an issue last year. But if Henderson has a bad training camp and pre-season and falls behind Brown on the depth chart? That would be a problem as it would turn out that DH was a wasted investment.

I didn’t say I don’t like Darrell Henderson. I just think he has to earn his spot like all players do. He was hurt & didn’t impress me all that much in the preseason last season.
If you ask me who the better back is between both Henderson & Brown.Right now

jiber jabble it’s all good. Go Rams

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He still needs to be able to pass block or he's a liability to QB1 out there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Lol - your talking Hypothetical. You have no prove right now. Malcom Brown is the Veteran right now. Darrell Henderson please score a TD. Akers do you know where Thousand Oaks is yet or hanging in a Florida bar drinking Corona’s with a tequila shot ??

I’m not taking upside & future right now. Let’s stay with the 2020 season.
Love how the Haters come out & give certain Players A Free Pass ?? Earn it!!!

I'm not a hater of Malcolm Brown. What I am is skeptical that he is in our plans with Henderson and Akers filling the roles that Brown can't, either due to his skillset, or the proof - the indisputable fact - that Brown has been injured every year we needed him to step up. The fact of the matter is this: Brown has not stepped up to the plate, regardless of veteran status, regardless of how much you want him to prove me - and the other people who have pointed that out - wrong. That's why we drafted a running back who was picked high for two consecutive years (Henderson was a trade-up in the third round, while Akers was our first selection in the second round.)

Hell, I think we'll pick up a running back after final cuts who replaces Brown's skillset to an extent: a tough inside runner who can get the short yards, has decent hands, isn't a breakaway threat in the slightest. That's not as hard to find as you may think.