Darrell Henderson poised to make big leap in Year 2?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Darrell Henderson poised to make big leap in Year 2?

With Todd Gurley handling the lion's share of the carries and Malcolm Brown as his primary backup, Darrell Henderson played just 8.4 percent of the team's offensive snaps (95 out of 1,130) as a rookie in 2019 according to Football Outsiders.

However, what NFL.com columnist Michael Silver saw across those limited opportunities was enough for him to pick Henderson as his second-year player poised to take the biggest leap in 2020.

"Now Gurley is gone, and (Rams head coach Sean) McVay is counting on Henderson to be a productive and prolific runner," Silver wrote as part of his analysis. "He won't shoulder the burden alone, but he's going to get a chance to show what he's got. I expect him to seize the opportunity."

In an injury-shortened season – he sustained an ankle injury in late December that required surgery – Henderson rushed 39 times for 147 yards in 13 games, good for 3.8 yards per carry. He also posted four catches for 37 yards in the passing game.

"With Darrell, he was a guy that when you do a lot of work on him coming out of Memphis, you love everything about his game," McVay said on a June 11 video conference. "Complete player, a home run hitter, but you saw on some of the runs that he got last year where he's a finisher, too. I mean, he's an elusive back, but he's got some power and he's got some thickness that can allow him to really have some great contact balance and finish."

A closer look at some of his top performances – ones in which he was afforded ample opportunities – further reinforce Silver's claim and McVay's praise.

In Week 6 against the 49ers, he averaged 6.5 yards per carry, including ripping off a 22-yard run. His role had been elevated with Gurley out due to a thigh contusion and Brown taking over as the starter for that contest.

Two weeks later against the Bengals in London, Henderson had 11 carries for 49 yards plus two catches for 20 yards. The carries matched his season-high from the week before, and that work in the passing game was highlighted by a 14-yard reception.

"I think Darrell is a special talent," Rams quarterback Jared Goff said earlier this spring. "Special player, special talent and he can be dangerous. He's fast, he's athletic, he can catch extremely well."

Click here for the rest of Silver's analysis, as well as the second-year players selected by his Press Coverage colleagues Judy Battista, Jeffri Chadiha and Jim Trotter.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Only way Henderson gets more playing time is he HAS to improve on pass blocking, and picking up the right guy on blitz".

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Rams could go RB by committee. Akers the slasher. Brown the masher. Henderson the dasher. All 3 can offset each other.

dang

Legend
I loved me some Gurley. From the outside looking in it appeared there was more than an injury situation so perhaps it was time to look forward (e.g. adding talent) to improve the RB situation instead of backward (e.g. going back to Gurley as the workhorse). I wish Gurley all the luck in the world in Atlanta but I am excited in seeing the Rams moving forward.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
If anyone else noticed the usages of differing running backs in SF, Denver, and NE, they will see what McVay and his staff have in mind with the current group. McVay already highlighted Henderson’s potential role when he was drafted as the player he wanted when they picked up the oft injured Lance Dunbar from the Cowboys. He’s explosive to be sure but not an all around back.

It should also be noted that Silver produced his piece before Akers was drafted. His assumption was that the Rams had greater needs at the top of the draft than RB, yet McSnead saw it differently. Perhaps they believe Akers can replace Gurley’s ability to keep defenses from keying on the run or pass, but I suspect they are telling the truth that they will employ a committee approach to the position.

Finally, and I’m not alone in this assessment, but Malcolm Brown is criminally undervalued by most people who don’t know this team very well. His overall stats may not pop from the page, but his situational usage skewed his true value. The man executes his plays so well that he can truly be trusted in pressure situations. He almost never misses an assignment, catches the ball well out of the backfield, and gets more yards than most RB’s after solid contact.

Akers is the future of the position and very well may be special. Henderson’s ceiling is a poor man’s Kamara (as long as ball security doesn’t continue to be his limiting factor). Brown is the man you put in the game when you have to know the play will proceed as designed. Yes, this year’s running game is in excellent hands.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Was disappointed in Henderson last year after spending a 3rd rounder on him, but to be fair our run blocking efficiency rated bottom 5 in the NFL for 2019. I LOVE Akers and think he has more natural talent than Henderson. Both together with Brown should form a very solid backfield.

But none of that matters if we cant block up front. And we made zero changes to the o-line so what is a realistic expectation for improvement if we're all being honest with ourselves? Cross our fingers and hope for the best sure doesn't feel very good compared to how the line performed in '17 and '18. But thats where we're at I guess and Henderson/Akers performance will rely on the boys up front. We will see constant 6-1 fronts again against us. So 5 OL + 1 TE need to be able to consistently win their 1-on-1 matchups. Last year we weren't close I sure hope they improve.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Was disappointed in Henderson last year after spending a 3rd rounder on him, but to be fair our run blocking efficiency rated bottom 5 in the NFL for 2019. I LOVE Akers and think he has more natural talent than Henderson. Both together with Brown should form a very solid backfield.

But none of that matters if we cant block up front. And we made zero changes to the o-line so what is a realistic expectation for improvement if we're all being honest with ourselves? Cross our fingers and hope for the best sure doesn't feel very good compared to how the line performed in '17 and '18. But thats where we're at I guess and Henderson/Akers performance will rely on the boys up front. We will see constant 6-1 fronts again against us. So 5 OL + 1 TE need to be able to consistently win their 1-on-1 matchups. Last year we weren't close I sure hope they improve.
While we all share your concern about the OLine, there have been myriads of posts that address Havenstein’s play through injury, the lack of continuity due to multiple injuries, and McVay’s adjustments to 12 personnel and increased rollouts for Jared. The experience given the rookies and the addition of Corbett lend credence to the notion of progressively better line play in 2020. Still, most of us are waiting to see how this all pans out beyond theory and speculation.

My OLine concern is that both Blythe and Allen are frequently overpowered by upper level DLinemen. While both can be sound technicians and good on the move, when push ultimately comes to shove, neither are up to the task. This is why I hope Corbett, Edwards, Evans, and maybe Noteboom relegate Blythe and Allen to backup status. Otherwise, every DC we face will simply attack them relentlessly while we all watch as the offense becomes limited by the need to protect them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think all of our RBs last season were in that 3.8 range if I recall without looking. That doesn't tell us much about what we have except that none of them really seemed to have holes to get to that second level where Gurley feasted. Let's hope to see some holes and gaps that these RBs can hit at speed. If we have that, I think we have a really good set of RBs. Brown is no slouch and can also catch fairly well. He also has pretty decent skills after the catch. I'm optimistic.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams took Hendy thinking they were going to have 2' wide outside zone holes for him to run through. They didn't anticipate their OL problems which basically affected all the skill spots on the offense.

So Akers is the guy they took to give them some interior run game without sacrificing explosiveness. His tape shows him making tough yards. He's the insurance against Hendy struggling again with the playbook, but either way the Rams probably have enough talent in the backfield now to move away from Gurley.

I've mentioned this before re: Hendy but outside of the team's whispering about him struggling to learn the offense he did show effectiveness when he was in the games in 2019. He made some positive runs that shouldn't have been positive. It was a small sample size but the guy translates to this level IMO. Now we're going to have some intense competition at RB and that's a good thing.

Re: Brown I certainly appreciate what he brings. But I don't like him not being able to carry the rock when the team needs him. He was a non-factor two years in a row in windows where the team had a need for someone to settle things down with consistent ground game production, so he's clearly a by-committee guy and has value. He's just not someone they can trust to carry the rock thus the Rams' prioritization of RB in this draft.

Ram65

Legend
I would like to know exactly why Henderson didn't see more playing time last year. Was it injuries, playbook, fumble, or pass blocking problems. I don't remember any writers/reporters giving any information. Maybe, I missed it so I'll assume he had rookie growing pains with all the above contributing to his limited play. He should be on track to get more touches this year.

He flashed enough in the limited runs to show he can be explosive with power. I see Akers as the #1 back. He was a workhorse in college but, not overworked. He can make tacklers miss and run over them. Rams didn't make him their first pick in the draft to sit on the bench,

Akers 15-19 carries a game
Hendo 7-9
Brown/WRs 4-5

It will be interesting to see how McVay works the running backs. I know Henderson can catch the rock so I expect more catches from him. Having them both get carries can keep them fresher all year. I think McVay prefers having the main back but, hr knows Henderson is too explosive to sit on the bench.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Malcolm Brown has a role on this team of any significance, that is a problem.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If anyone else noticed the usages of differing running backs in SF, Denver, and NE, they will see what McVay and his staff have in mind with the current group. McVay already highlighted Henderson’s potential role when he was drafted as the player he wanted when they picked up the oft injured Lance Dunbar from the Cowboys. He’s explosive to be sure but not an all around back.

It should also be noted that Silver produced his piece before Akers was drafted. His assumption was that the Rams had greater needs at the top of the draft than RB, yet McSnead saw it differently. Perhaps they believe Akers can replace Gurley’s ability to keep defenses from keying on the run or pass, but I suspect they are telling the truth that they will employ a committee approach to the position.

Finally, and I’m not alone in this assessment, but Malcolm Brown is criminally undervalued by most people who don’t know this team very well. His overall stats may not pop from the page, but his situational usage skewed his true value. The man executes his plays so well that he can truly be trusted in pressure situations. He almost never misses an assignment, catches the ball well out of the backfield, and gets more yards than most RB’s after solid contact.

Akers is the future of the position and very well may be special. Henderson’s ceiling is a poor man’s Kamara (as long as ball security doesn’t continue to be his limiting factor). Brown is the man you put in the game when you have to know the play will proceed as designed. Yes, this year’s running game is in excellent hands.

you ALL bring some excellent points.

Skip is gone. RB by committee will be good. Malcom will be the mentor

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
How many of these are post injury?

as for Darrell henderson Jr, I recall going down too easily when tackled.

Akers is going to be the needed replacement to step up.
The point of posting these highlights is that Brown has always been more valuable and capable than credited by outsiders. There was no drop off in agility and knowledge last season, only the drop in overall production of the offense as a whole. The opportunity to shine would have eluded any running back last year in that offense.

I believe the bigger question for 2020 has less to do with the ability of the RB corps and the other skill position players and more to do with the overall scheme and approach the coaches define as their identity. Is the interior line stout enough to continue building off primarily outside zone plays for an effective play action scheme? Will we continue to see an increase in 12 personnel? Will we deploy a FB this year? Can we effectively run more powers and traps when we see heavy fronts or need tough short yardage runs? Can we afford to lead the league in slow developing plays to stretch the defense vertically? Will the addition of Jefferson mean the 11 personnel grouping becomes more effective for short and intermediate routes that force the defense to stop loading the box? Finally, to my point...if the offense necessarily becomes more multiple and complex, won’t Brown’s experience and comfort in the scheme be a huge advantage this year over Hendy and Akers?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to know exactly why Henderson didn't see more playing time last year. Was it injuries, playbook, fumble, or pass blocking problems. I don't remember any writers/reporters giving any information. Maybe, I missed it so I'll assume he had rookie growing pains with all the above contributing to his limited play. He should be on track to get more touches this year.
Think it was Vinny that addressed it. He alluded to some rumors or someone on the staff telling him Hendy had struggled to learn the offense. Which I think is probably accurate given how he looked pretty good in limited snaps.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe the bigger question for 2020 has less to do with the ability of the RB corps and the other skill position players and more to do with the overall scheme and approach the coaches define as their identity.
Scheme has something to do with it, I think, which is why McVay brought in a new OC. That and the fact that so many route combos in the passing game were sat upon by opposing DBs. But it doesn't affect the run game all that much, as a good run game doesn't require misdirection to establish itself all it needs is a guy beating a guy up front.

Biggest blame certainly lies with the OL and no matter how tired we all are of discussing it, that is the truth. But some of the blame also goes to the RB room which you seem to be overlooking here.

I get why you like Brown. But the problem here is there was a need for someone to step up and eat carries and he couldn't do it or wasn't chosen to do it. And for two years in a row the dude was dinged up when opportunity knocked. Might be his run style or something in his physique, but he's just not the "horse type" dude as a RB. He has not demonstrated that he can take the carries.

And the Rams agree with this btw. Because they prioritized Akers. Who has been a horse behind a poor line in the SEC.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
And the Rams agree with this btw. Because they prioritized Akers. Who has been a horse behind a poor line in the SEC.

ACC (Florida State isn't in the SEC), but I agree with everything else.