Da’Ron Payne

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
I haven’t seen Da’Ron Payne’s name mentioned too much on this forum. I know we have a need for a run plugger/NT. Would Payne be a good fit for the Rams defense? He is projected to be selected around the Rams first round pick. Any thoughts? I don’t know much about college football so I will have to defer to the experts on this board.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You need to check out the draft board, he's been covered pretty good. (y)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@jrry32 first mock had Mr. Payne going to our beloved Rams and IMO, would be a great selection, however, I believe he will be gone before 23 and even then I do believe our GM Monty Hall will be making a deal to recuperate some draft capital.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Payne has been my favorite pick at 23 for a very long time. Unfortunately it's not likely he's there for us.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm hoping we knock out our NT selection prior to the draft in free agency, ... the draft should be more about BPA than relying on the right player hopefully falling to us.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching Payne’s combine, his stock is rising, very quick and smooth athlete. Would love to see him a RAMS uniform.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Payne has been my favorite pick at 23 for a very long time. Unfortunately it's not likely he's there for us.
giphy.gif

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeremiah has him going in the top 15 in his combine review.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeremiah has him going in the top 15 in his combine review.
So plant a doctored YouTube video of him smoking pot with a gas mask on draft day? ~Wizard of Garden Grove

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
lol he's out of reach at this point unless we make a blockbuster trade. It would be a crime to line him up with Donald and Brockers against any O-line and QB

Ants

Starter
I think some of you guys are jumping the gun a little bit. Every year we see surprises in the draft, with guys falling a little more than expected.
I think Payne is in our wheelhouse at 23, among a few other good options at other positions.

jap

Legend
lol he's out of reach at this point unless we make a blockbuster trade. It would be a crime to line him up with Donald and Brockers against any O-line and QB

it's high time we had a criminally talented D-line, wouldn't you say? Imagine being able to send three guys after the QB and dropping eight into coverage?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think some of you guys are jumping the gun a little bit. Every year we see surprises in the draft, with guys falling a little more than expected.
I think Payne is in our wheelhouse at 23, among a few other good options at other positions.

Agreed. Payne might go right before us, but I don't see him as some crazy value that someone will need to take earlier like Vea. And what counts against both those guys is the depth & quality of that DT group. I mean damn. Lotta teams gonna get better in the trenches on defense this year.

CB value will be insanely good at 23. OLB will be good to great depending on how interviews on the top guys go. ILB will be great value with more than one option maybe being there for us.

Rams gonna feast on this draft IMO. It lines up stupidly well with our needs.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Payne is an explosive athlete that can make explosive plays.

He's also a guy who can get washed out pretty quick and has had plays where he looks like a 3rd-grade girl soccer player where they all run in a pack with that skippety-hoppity kind of run.

Those plays are maddening to watch and I even screamed at my monitor, "what the hell are you doing!!!"

So, it's entirely possible that as teams look at him, they'll see good and bad and he may slip.

Also... he's not an NT.

I'd take Tim Settle over Da'Ron Payne for NT every day of the week and 100 times on Sunday.

Edit: watched some more Payne and I think he could be devastating as a NT in the 4-3, but I don't see him as a 3-4 NT. I still take Settle over Payne for us.

As I said in another thread, Vea would be ideal, but I can't see how we could trade up to get him. I think they'll try to replenish the roster and get some depth at positions.

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
@jrry32 first mock had Mr. Payne going to our beloved Rams and IMO, would be a great selection, however, I believe he will be gone before 23 and even then I do believe our GM Monty Hall will be making a deal to recuperate some draft capital.

I googled the Monty Hall reference. Hilarious.